I'm tired of being nice!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (54 posts)
  1. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

While Hub Hopping I noticed a guy who'd posted two Hubs that were copied directly from Yahoo News stories... word-for-word. Normally I'd just flag them and move on but this time I couldn't help myself, I left a comment under each one that said "Wow, it must've been a lot of work to copy this from Yahoo" (or words to that effect) and a link to the original Yahoo story. By this time tomorrow that choad will hopefully have been run off the site on a rail.

So was that too douche-y?

.....Naaaaah.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

no...not all FatFreddysCat....i smile everytime I read your name btw!

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Careful!  You won't be included in "the group" if you point out bad stuff!  lol

3. Cantuhearmescream profile image77
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No I don't think it was too douche-y. You're too funny. Blatant wrongs should be pointed out, it's people and things like that that give HP a bad name.

4. Theophanes profile image89
      Theophanesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't really like being mean but blatant plagiarism would probably tick me off too. I probably would have flagged that as well. I've seen A LOT of Hubs with grammar and spelling that made my head want to explode in the first sentence, one so bad I pushed the dreaded thumbs down button. There's also a lot of Gibberish ones that  are obviously written by someone still learning English. I don't like leaving negative comments because I know they're trying but that's just me... Contemplating leaving a polite corrective comment to a Hub that had very confused/outdated/wrong information that I found today. *shrug*

2. stephanieb27 profile image61
    stephanieb27posted 11 years ago

I don't think so. If someone is going to copy work they should be called out!

1. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely right.   If one is a writer, one is either ORIGINAL or NOTHING at all.

3. wqaindia profile image36
    wqaindiaposted 11 years ago

Why do you worry. Original is Original. Think about who appeared first - the Hen or the egg.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image95

Thanx all. Sometimes I think we honest Hubbers NEED to start being a little more "douche-y" when it comes to dealing with copied, sub-par, or nonsense Hubs. Rather than just flaggin'em and letting the Mods do our dirty work, let's let these mo-mo's know that we're onto'em and we're tired of them dragging down the quality of the site for all of us. (ala "Network") I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!!!

**EDIT** Both of the Hubs I spoke of in my original post are now unpublished. Whoo hoo! Results! Fight the power 'n' stuff!!

kewl!

2. Taleb80 profile image78
      Taleb80posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the efforts you do for the benefit of all of us.

5. Gail Meyers profile image62
    Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

LOL Randy, sit down or you are going to time out!  haha

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

Hey, they already kicked me out of the group!  (anyone know who the group is?)  roll

FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it was Groucho Marx who said, "I would never belong to a group that would have me as a member."

'groups are dangerous'....quoted from a friend who has travelled the world extensively for a loooonng time....

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

hmmmmm...so i wonder what happens to the ones i flag that are really, really bad....e.g. very bad english that do not make sense because english is not really a second language.....but the hub doesn't violate TOS....OMG!...been hopping...but now i'm second guessing myself as to whether i'm wasting my time...

Before you flag a crap hub, leave a comment like I did (It doesn't necessarily have to be a snide/douche-y comment but those are more fun. haha). Then the next time you log in, you can look under the "activity" in your profile for the  "You commented on the Hub ______________," link, click on it and see if it's been unpublished.

i'll try that...thanks!

Think of it as giving scammers, spammers, and thieves a virtual kick in the 'nads.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

That is really a good idea, FatFreddyCat!  smile

7. Gail Meyers profile image62
    Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

LOL FatFreddysCat!  The shunning of dissenters, Randy?

I have no idea, but it was suggested I didn't fit in with whoever is in it.  It actually made my day.  cool

8. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

Nothing wrong with calling out the copiers.
    Your subject line reminds me of when I was working at a school. One of the teachers, had worked at Disneyland during the summer and when she got back to the first week of school, she said. "I am really glad school has started-- I am soooo tired of being nice to everyone."

9. mary615 profile image81
    mary615posted 11 years ago

I was Hubhopping last night and read one where most of the words were crammed together, i.e. no spaces between words.   Think that might have been a spun article?  I guess I don't know what a spun article looks like.  Anyway, I flagged it.

10. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 11 years ago

I was never in the"group"so I saved them some time.Now I just give em a vinegar and water comment.
    After three years here I'm pretty sure the site needs an enema not a douche.I'm just a little nervous they might stick the"Tube"in my home page....lol?

1. Gail Meyers profile image62
      Gail Meyersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL  You are scaring me...haha.

11. FatFreddysCat profile image95

Just found ANOTHER guy copying stuff from Yahoo News and posting it as his own work... or maybe it's the same guy, using a different username? Either way, it's lame. Called him/her out in the comments and reported both Hubs.

12. FatFreddysCat profile image95

Did some more hub hoppin' this morning... saw lotsa spun/poorly translated/nonsensical crap...which led to lotsa flags (and douche-y comments) by yours truly.

This is almost as much fun as writing actual Hubs. big_smile

It's even more fun than writing hubs which will probably be idled anyway.  roll

Until the bizarro world gremlins that have been affecting the site lately (stats being stuck for days on end, bizarre view-counts in the billions, etc.) show some signs of being shaken out, I am not writing a damn thing. big_smile

If everyone did that we'd soon see something done, I suspect.  But there's always some who will go along with the crowd. cool

13. cfin profile image64
    cfinposted 11 years ago

Can you please name and shame the member? We can all then join in and help them grow a conscience.

I'm pretty sure that naming names is against the site's rules, therefore it would probably get me in trouble and get this thread deleted.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still out there fighting the good fight. Y'know, like RoboCop.

14. Page1 SEO tactics profile image53
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years ago

I'd have to say that leaving a comment on the copied hub is half a good idea and half bad, it's good to let the person know that plagiarizing is unacceptable and let's others who read it know that the hub is not original, but it's bad to give that person's hub a comment which technically updates the hub, making it a little more search-friendly.  However, I'm with cfin, and think maybe instead of leaving them a comment on their hub, we should leave them a bit of fan mail. lol

Nine times outta ten, the Hubs I flag and leave a "douche comment" end up getting deleted shortly thereafter anywhoo, so I'm not worried about inadvertently giving them extra traffic. It's mainly for my own cruel amusement. big_smile

1. cfin profile image64
        cfinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am looking through your activity to see if I can find the "unnamed" individual. That is not against HP policy smile One of them has been deleted already.

I have also started to report "unnamed" individuals who plagiarize.

15. FatFreddysCat profile image95

Feelin' grouchy again today so I took it out on some spun/Engrish/spammy Hubs and left some snotty comments. 

I couldn't resist after reading this dribble in an obviously-poorly translated article about Google AdSense:

"The latest marketing tests jazz revealed that placing pictures beside, or above you're a ads can fuck a massive fight on click-thru rates."

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds AWESOME!! smile

1. Cantuhearmescream profile image77

You really ought consider waking up on the "wrong side of the bed" regularly. It's like chicken soup for my soul! ;-)

16. cperuzzi profile image89
    cperuzziposted 11 years ago

Nope.  I would have started to boil the tar and gather the feathers for proper punishment.

17. FatFreddysCat profile image95

Oh, this is brilliant. This numb nuts actually responded "thanks" to one of my snotty comments. Check it out before this Hub gets deleted, which will probably be soon cuz it's by a guy who's offering to sell his AdSense account. big_smile

http://everythingpro.hubpages.com/hub/A … al-Process

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey! He is not less than a expert!

Who could possibly resist a sales pitch like this? wink

Are you friggen kidding me? Wow! Well FatFreddysCat, I must've rolled out of the same side of the bed as you or you're rubbing off on me, I just gave it to him... :-0

Hahahaha, just saw your addition. Awesome!!

Thanks! Sometimes you try to hold it in as hard as you can... I usually get yelled at by other hubbers "well who the heck do you think you are little Miss Newbie", but I couldn't help it this time.

18. FatFreddysCat profile image95

Busted somebody this morning for copying two articles from Wikipedia and passing them off as their own Hubs. LAME!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7979146_f248.jpg

2. FatFreddysCat profile image95

...make that FOUR articles. What a lame-O.

19. StitchTheDamned profile image67
    StitchTheDamnedposted 11 years ago

That is too sad. I bet this happens more than we realize. It makes it harder for those of us that actually put in a lot of time to research and write our articles.

1. profile image0

And for those of us who should put a lot of time and research into our articles, but mainly just say stuff off the top of our heads.

20. PeppermintPaddy profile image62
    PeppermintPaddyposted 11 years ago

No, not at all. We'd love to hear his "real" voice, not that of another author.

1. profile image0

Were you talking to me? I was actually just making fun of myself. Not sure how it came across. smile

21. Paul Corvan profile image67
    Paul Corvanposted 11 years ago

You did the right thing smile Plagiarism is a common online problem. And as writers, I think that we should do our best to protect the works of our fellow writers.

22. FatFreddysCat profile image95

My newest annoyance... over the past day or two the Q&A section has been flooded with spammy questions apparently from India, all of which follow the same pattern:

"Help me find the best coaching center for (name of random educational program or degree) in (name of random Indian city)?"

I swear I've left snotty responses to about three dozen of these suckers since yesterday!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)