I have NOT removed my articles from HubPages for these reasons...

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (69 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

1. I don't want to.

2. HP is cute and fuzzy.

3. What say you?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1. it was easy and I wanted to.

2. HP is anything but cute and fuzzy.

3. The idle system is a joke.  cool

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Randy... Randy... Randy... big_smile

lol  I believe the "collateral damage" hurt HP much more than it did the writers affected by the silly system.  At least it made some of us reluctant to publish anything on the chance it will suit HP's ridiculous program.  I would not recommend anyone publishing here at this point in time.  sad

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So many removed their Hubs at one point I thought, "Gee, they must be earning Accolades for doing so."

Seriously, I'm still doing well with HP and the last two weeks have been great.

3. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1) I so like HubPages, it's become such an addiction
      2) In my wildest dreams, i never, EVER knew i could have a presence on the web. HP gave me that opportunity
      3) I'm too loyal and will never leave those that helped me reach where am on the web today.
      4) The community is second to none. Without such wonderful hubbers, how will i ever have learned so much?
      5) I want to stay around so that when HP does finally bounce back (hopefully), i'll be right here savouring the joy.

4. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1.  HubPages is fun.

2.  I enjoy gathering somewhere with others who like to write.

3.  I'm not wrapped up in making money from HubPages.  I actually get a kick out of seeing them succeed in a flooded market.

5. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1. I like the people here
      2. We agree to disagree (sometimes)
      3. I'm making money
      4. It's an easy site to navigate
      5. It's too hard to move my hubs and just write content on other sites

2. Rebecca E. profile image79
    Rebecca E.posted 11 years ago

1) I don't need to-- I can always edit them

2) Might as well leave them

3) Cause I enjoy being on HP a bit too much.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I am to lazy to go moving things around at the drop of a hat.  I am hoping that in the long term earnings here will recover.  In the meantime I make new content on new platforms rather than shuffling the same content from place to place.

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I'm still considering taking mine off of HunPages.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol   lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know... That Attilla guy is a bit harsh.
      I'd suggest moving them to HubPages, they are much more polite than the Huns.

5. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image77
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 11 years ago

1. I love the people on Hubpages
    2. I like writing here
    3. You can always get help when you need it

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

1. Once it has been published here  it is probably copied elsewhere.  There's a risk involved in moving.
    2. If it doesn't work here why would it work anywhere else?
    3. I like it here.

1. brianrock profile image84
      brianrockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

#2 is the best answer I've seen.

I really don't understand the rush to republish hubs elsewhere because of he idling system. It's must be purely emotionally driven, because anyone with any publishing and business sense would realize the futility of publishing the same thing on a different website and hoping that it magically attracts more search engine visitors.

Insanity, as they say, is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

1. aa lite profile image86
        aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't completely agree with you on that.  Our pages don't just get traffic, or fail to on their own merit, Google applies sitewide penalties such as Panda, Penguin, manual penalties etc.  HubPages had a penalty applied to it, which "suppressed"  the potential of our hubs. 

Right now it seems to me the penalty seemed to have been lifted (completely or partially.

An article that is not doing very well on a slapped site, might do a lot better on a site that is getting the Google love.  There are also other factors, like the internal linking in a site (through its directory structures, related pages etc.) that might make some sites better than others.

A page on a slapped site might be very good, but if it targets a competitve keyword it might never see traffic, just because it is outcompeted, and it might become idle.  If this page is moved to a non-slapped site, it might suddenly be able to compete with the first page sites and start getting a lot of traffic.

This doesn't necessarily mean that I believe people should be moving content from a slapped site to a non-slapped site, because any site can be slapped at any time.  But moving hubs off site is not as insane as you make it out to be.

Well HP appears to be doing better now, so I would say it is a pretty bad time to do it now.  What people should be doing is waking up their idle hubs which they think have potential to get traffic by editing them.  Actually a lot of my hubs seem to have woken up by themselves for some reason.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't agree. Sure, my idled Hubs were earning mere pennies - but they were earning, and over the years that mounts up.  So it's worth trying to regain that elsewhere.   Also, an idled Hub is serving no useful purpose, whereas it can be useful elsewhere.

For instance, I've moved some to my blogs.  They may not earn much, but they're adding more relevant content to my blog, and that has to be a good thing.

Others I've moved to other revenue-share sites.  I've been lazy about spreading my work around, and this has given me the push to finally do it.  Again, they may not earn much, but I've expanded my reach and I've interlinked my articles on various sites, which has to be a good thing.

So it's not about insanity, it's about finding the silver lining.

Besides, what's interesting is that many people are reporting better results with republished articles.

3. Randy Godwin profile image61

How long have you been in the publishing business, Brian?  lol

I've been publishing things online since the beginning of 2007 - at Yahoo! Contributor Network, some other places that have come and gone, and a half dozen or so of my own websites. I've seen some things succeed, and I've seen plenty of things fail. Seen enough success to net a couple thousand bucks last year, though.

Fact of publishing is that most of what you write is worthless. It's the same for me as it is for a large publishing house that puts out hundreds of books a year. Unless you're already a best selling author and you can crap gold onto paper, you're going to have successful articles and unsuccessful ones.

HubPages is doing you a favor by idling the unsuccessful ones. Move 'em if you want, but if you don't either a) revise, b) promote, or c) backlink those articles you'll just be quibbling over peanuts. Cause I'd love to see an example of an idled hub that someone took down, re-posted (without revision), and then magically got a few hundred search engine visits in a month.

You've been publishing online no longer than I have Brian, just as I suspected.  And Yahoo isn't exactly the best place to publish or make money as I've had an account there for years myself.  As others have pointed out to you, there are some sites which are being penalized by Google more than others and HP is one of them at the present time.

As you will find out, HP is not the brightest bulb on the xmas tree nor are they the best at making decisions as we've found out in the past.  Just sayin'......

None of these content mills are the best places to publish simply for money, no. But they are a useful part of a content marketing strategy that can help your own site - a more profitable enterprise - much more successful and profitable.

As for Google penalties, that's a nice excuse. I've had a site penalized by Penguin, and trust me, this ain't it. The hubs I write rank just fine in Google. For example, I've published something targeting the same keyword on my own blog, on Slideshare, and here. They all rank in the top 20. There's no penalty.

Sure, HubPages lost a lot of traffic due to algorithm changes that prevented it from dominating the SERPs the way content mills used to. But that's a far cry from a penalty where articles don't rank anywhere in the top few hundred SERPs.

Simply because you haven't been penalized by Google here doesn't mean it won't happen, Brian.  Some of us have suffered up to an 85% traffic loss literally overnight losing hundreds or even thousands of dollars a month.  How much did you say you made last year?  And sure, a personal site is always a better idea.

Like I said, it can still be more useful elsewhere even if that doesn't happen.

I've noticed Brian giving some pretty good advice on these forums so I suspect he knows what he's talking about, Randy.  I don't agree with him on this occasion but he generally talks sense.  I'm a bit surprised he's only on a couple of thou a year, though.

Ditto!

2. brianrock profile image84

Thanks for the kind words, Marisa. smile

I suppose we can agree to disagree, but I just wanted to provide some push back and present the other side. Sometimes it seems like the forums/questions are an echo chamber.

And I'd like to earn more, but this is a part time hobby for me. I have a real job (teaching) that pays far more, and I doubt I could ever match that salary with publishing (in the short term anyway). So I go through short spurts of activity when there's a lull at school... like this week, which is Spring break! Hooray for a week off.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

1. HP is user friendly and easy to navigate

2. HP has a cool community

3. I'm too old and lazy to learn how to set up my own Web site so I may as well leave my stuff here.

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

1)  The staff at HP is great.

2). I'm learning the online publishing world.

3). I've met terrific people here.

4). The platform is very user-friendly

5).  I believe in HP and I believe in its business concept.

9. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

At one time I would have admired some of these pledges of loyalty.  But this was when I first wrote on a content farm.  I was as naive then as most of you are now. cool

1. Soul Man Boogie profile image60
      Soul Man Boogieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love the HP staff for all the wonderful things they do!

And what are some of these wonderful things they do?  Remember, you're giving them over 40% of your earnings? cool

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
          FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Meh. 40% of diddly-squat is still diddly-squat. smile

If my traffic gets any lower I'll be costing them money!!

I can understand if this is indeed the case, FFC.  But for some 40% is a pretty good cut in sales and Adsense clicks.

2. Soul Man Boogie profile image60

Do I look like I am giving anyone any earnings?

No, and you don't look like you are listing all of the "wonderful things HP has done for us" either. lol

10. Scribenet profile image62
    Scribenetposted 11 years ago

1.) I have met the nicest people here.
    2.) It is a great place to share ideas and get to know other writers and their extraordinary lives.
    3.) It provides me with interesting information I would never look up on the net (lol)...  some of which has been very useful... once in awhile I get to buy some extra goodies from my efforts.
    smile... okay that is more than three, but I wanted to stay with the format  smile smile

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oops - I didn't realize there was a guideline of three reasons - posting on the go here!

Guideline!?! We don't need no stinking guidelines!!!

Post whatever you want. My threads seem to always turn into freewheeling adventures. No reason to stop now. lol

11. ytsenoh profile image61
    ytsenohposted 11 years ago

I have been here too long and initially joined up to write.  I don't know what would be more challenging, planning my daughter's wedding which I am currently involved with, or moving all my articles....

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

Speaking of money, my HP payout is busily migrating from PayPal to my bank account as we speak. Yes it is. Might even already be there.
    http://www6.hawaii.gov/tax/ses/ses_paper_money.png
    Purdy, aint it?

13. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

1. I'm still fairly new and learning the ropes, therefore, haven't earned the right to consider moving anything anywhere yet. hmm (I do have a business website, though, if I need to move wink)

2. I cannot imagine having to join another site, participate in another forum community, do all that techy-membership stuff all over again to earn money. Too much work and too much giving up of my time. roll

3. I like the learning experience and sense of community here at hp. smile

14. paradigmsearch profile image60

And here is what some other folks are getting...
    http://www.murfreesborotn.gov/uploadedImages/government/Police/IMG_8141.JPG?n=3549

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, hypothetically, if I'm at $49.99 today, knowing I'll make that penny any minute now, will I get my first payout this month? Or did it have to already be at $50 on March 31st to receive April payout? I'm soooo looking forward to it.

Sure, you can finally fill up with gas!

Woohoo!!! Just enough to cover a tank of high-grade smile

You must have a small car.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

Alas, you may have to wait another month. sad But when you do get paid next month, this month's earnings will also be included. smile

"Payments will be disbursed around the 28th of the month for the previous month's earnings." Which must equal or exceed $50.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-payments

Yup, I read it a million times but wanted not to believe what I read as I got closer. My goal was May, so I'm on target anyway. Thanks, paradigm.

I hope April is a banner month for you so that you can watch that balance grow and grow, knowing that it will all soon be yours. Kind of fun, that. big_smile

15. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 11 years ago

AND, the "grass is not necessarily green on the other side"

16. aa lite profile image86
    aa liteposted 11 years ago

- I knew that, because the Universe hates me, if I removed my hubs the site would suddenly become Google's favourite and would dominate SERPs.  Then I would hate me.

-I knew that with my luck, if I put my hubs somewhere else, they would still not get traffic.  At least with my hubs here I could blame, the Panda, the Penguin, TPTB.  I could also engage in a very pleasant group moan about the great injustice of the universe and TPTB with like minded people.  On other sites I would have to suffer smug successful people, and know that my failure was my own fault.

- I am very lazy.  Removing the articles is just too much effort.

17. jhendor profile image69
    jhendorposted 11 years ago

for me hubpages platform has been very simple to use

18. profile image52
    travelingaceposted 11 years ago

there's one reason I did not - I didn't write any articles yet.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you mean to to say "I haven't written any articles yet"?

Saying "I didn't write any articles yet" is grammatically very poor.

Just trying to help smile

How is that helping anyone? Both are sloppy.

Best:

I have not written any articles, yet.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I don't think the comma is needed. Sorry, I do not think the comma is needed.

It is not needed. I was just fooling around. It is more formally correct, though.

Get it? I could have said, "It is more formally correct though."

English is weird.

1. IzzyM profile image86

You may well be right.

But they way I see it is if you were speaking that sentence aloud, you could choose to pause, or not.

So you could have:

"I haven't written any articles... yet" which if written down correctly would be as you say "I haven't written any articles, yet".

Or you could just right "I haven't written any articles yet", without a pause (comma) because it makes perfect sense as it is.

Or you could write "I have not written any articles yet" with or without a comma, depending on how it is said.

Or you might suddenly remember an important meeting you have to go to, and not comment further on a forum topic that you are not particularly interested in.

Ha ha ha! Very good! You are absolutely right.

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
          Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of not writing any articles yet, Soul Man Boogie hasn't. So he's an expert on not writing articles. hmm

19. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

I could leave, but H.P. is comfortable
    I could leave, but my friends are here and I would miss them
    I could leave, but I wouldn't write so much if I left.

It takes 10,000 hours of practice to become proficient.  H.P. gives me something to do when the rest of the family is watching movies.

20. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 11 years ago

Your hubs are still read by human beings, and they count for a lot. Robots can't enjoy your hubs the way people can. Hold on to them, and never mind the naysayers. They all have value. Think of all the books and writing in the world that have immense reading value but are not on the web or read by robots. Search engines don't count for everything.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

But the point is, Cheeky Girl, that if they're not featured, human beings can't read them either.

Well, a small handful of human beings can - the people to whom you send a link.  Otherwise, they're invisible to everyone.

I'm not going to remove my Hubs because while they're still featured, they're still earning some income, however small.   And they give me an excuse to stay within the HP community, of which I'm very fond.  But idled Hubs are wasting their potential so I'm moving them as I find alternative places for them.

21. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, well... Yesterday is the highest hub traffic that I've seen in over 2 months. This time last year my traffic was commencing its summer crash and burn.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm waiting for that same shoe to fall - the summer crash and burn - I'm just not seeing it.  Last year at this point I was near bottom, but if this is bottom right now I can't imagine what the top is going to look like this fall.

22. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I like the staff. They help with problems.
    I am addicted.
    I get paid every once in a while. When I have more hubs, I will have more money..
    I have friends here.
    Most of my hubs have stayed featured.

23. Gcrhoads64 profile image91
    Gcrhoads64posted 11 years ago

1. I love being in charge of my publishing schedule.

2. The community is wonderful.

3.  It is fun and easy to use. smile

24. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

1. I got busy with developing another site
    2. Idle No More lol
    3. Research, reading, research tongue

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)