Warning: This Hub contains more than two links to a single domain

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Monfang profile image69
    Monfangposted 10 years ago

So, I am in the process of writing my first Hub, which is going to be an extensive Resource Guide to a video game called Fire Emblem: Awakening. As such, I have been linking to quite a few websites numerous times, pin pointing specific sections of there site where you can find the best information on said topics.

When I looked up, after I had finished adding to my Hub for the evening, I noticed this warning: Warning: This Hub contains more than two links to a single domain. When I clicked on the ? to bring up more information I was given the information below:

This Hub has more than two links to a single domain. HubPages allows no more than two promotional links to a single domain per Hub. Links in the image source field of images count toward this limit. If the identified links are not promotional, then no action is required.

Promotional links are links that you have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.). Links to well-known Web resources which you don't have any personal interest in (like Wikipedia, news sites, encyclopedias, open directories, etc).

My question lies within the second paragraph seen above. I understand that promotional links are those that I have interest in promoting, something I would personally gain from. Then it goes onto talk about links to well-known web resources. My question is, to links to these well-known web resources count as promotional links, or no? ...

Thanks
    ~Monfang

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I play it safe and limit my links to two or fewer to any domain.  I think what your notice is saying that there is an exception to links that are clearly not promotional - like wikipedia and other well known sites.  But really, I wouldn't add too many links away from my pages because I want to keep my reader on my site longer.

1. Alison Graham profile image92
        Alison Grahamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is a problem when you are writing a hub like the one you describe.
        My suggestion would be to provide the addition url information without linking it so that the reader can copy and paste into their browser

That way you are providing the information, staying within hubpages guidelines and keeping your reader on your page.

Monfangposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip!

2. nufoundglory profile image58
          nufoundgloryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, maybe just give them the domain name instead of the whole url (if it's possible), that'd look natural to a normal reader.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For the record, links to non-promotional domains (e.g. government and .edu sites, major news sites, etc.) do not count. big_smile

Really? What counts as a major news site?

1. Marisa Wright profile image83
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Major news sites would be the major well-known newspapers and TV stations, i.e. BBC, CNN etc.

IMO the instructions are badly worded and need to be changed.  They say "Promotional links are links that you have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.)." but in practice, you can't link to any commercial site (except newspapers) more than twice. 

The reason is that even if the site you've linked to has no affiliate scheme, you could've been paid to write a Hub promoting a particular business, or perhaps you're an employee.  So HubPages has no way of assessing whether you have "an interest" in promoting that site, and will always err on the safe side.

1. profile image0
            calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A simple whitelist would be helpful and prevent people from having to contact help to find out what's wrong with their hubs, especially since HubPages' definition of promotional is not the intuitive definition most people go by.  For example, I know that I cannot link out to mathworld.wolfram.com more than twice, even though I have no interest in the site and it doesn't run any ads (not to mention, most of wikipedia's math articles are sourced from it!)

Something like  all .gov and .edu sites plus a list of 100 or so trusted news/encyclopedia sites.

I'm sure there aren't 100. 

Most of us simply work to the rule that you can't have more than two links to the same domain, period. 

Let's face it - if you're linking out to the same site multiple times, you're not doing yourself any favours anyway.  It's likely, once your reader has visited that other site twice, they'll get the message and won't bother coming back to your Hub again!

3. aravindb1982 profile image77
      aravindb1982posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What Simone Smoth says is perfectly true. I have a couple of hubs with these warnings. It has been more than a year now and those hubs have not been either black-listed or unpublished! That is because, they link multiple times to 'non-promotional' domains. So, don't worry if the sites you are linking too are purely informational ones...

2. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

Many of my hubs are written in sort of an in-depth news style, and I've been writing blogs for years before coming to HubPages. I've gotten this warning for my own hubs as well from time to time. When writing an article where a specific entity/topic/item/company is mentioned over and over, what I usually do is hyperlink the first time that item is mentioned, and I simply leave the rest of the mentions un-linked. Also, remember that if you're writing about sell-able items like games, that you can simply mention them by name in the hub and add Amazon and Ebay links to said games throughout the hub's content, which would likely earn you more money.

3. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

The 2 links to same domain rule doesn't apply to HubPages management itself when they put no less than 11 links to their own domain in the dreaded "Related Search" ads where each link leads to a full page of 12 adverts, most of which aren't even related to the hub topic and from which we don't get a share of revenue. So there seems to be one set of rules for us, and another for HP.
    To find out more go to
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/111781

4. nufoundglory profile image58
    nufoundgloryposted 10 years ago

I've seen a hub with literally 30+ links pointing to IMDB, and it sure looks messy....

5. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

It is generally not a good idea to have too many links in a hub period. So, be careful. If you feel that those links (that link to same domain) are necessary and are for educational purposes you can contact Hub Pages support and let them know, so they won't unpublish your hub, or allow it to be published if the warning is stopping your hubs from being published. .

The links may be to the same website, but they are all different pages within that website.

It's not like I'm going 'here are a list of links' and just throwing them everywhere. I'm writing a bit about them, and then linking to were you can find more information.

It doesn't matter whether they are different pages or not, the important thing is that they're all to the same website.

The rule is "no more than two links to the same website".  Simple.

Of course there are occasions where multiple links are not going to do any  harm, but HubPages has to set rules and they have to be consistent.  That means the odd "harmless" instance can't be given an exemption.

As per my initial question here at the top of this thread:

"My question is, do links to these well-known web resources count as promotional links, or no? ... "

That is all I want to know.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image77
            Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If there are more than two of them, yes.

6. Alison Graham profile image92
    Alison Grahamposted 10 years ago

I think for the purposes of understanding about links from a hub - it doe not matter what site they go to whether they are to authority sites or not, having more than two links to the same site is not allowed.

Authority sites (where you might not have any incentive - affiliate-wise or otherwise, for providing a link and even where you are trying to help the reader by providing reference links), still fall into this bracket so in effect, the question about whether they are seen as promotional or not is irrelevant. If you have more than two to the same domain, it will get flagged up period!

7. Shravan Picsonia profile image58
    Shravan Picsoniaposted 10 years ago

this happened to me many times. what I did was that I just removed the links. They didn't seem any kind of necessity to me!

8. Monfang profile image69
    Monfangposted 10 years ago

Guess I will have to think of a new article to write up as my first article then smile

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

There is a white list, we just don't get to see it.  If you think a site should be added to it you can just post this suggestion in the forums.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)