jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)

Why do some Hubbers have no Accolades

1. Writer Fox profile image77
    Writer Foxposted 4 years ago

I went to a Hubber's subdomain page and there are no Accolades.  The Hubber has over 100 Hubs, but not a single accolade - not even the one for having 10 featured Hubs!  Why is this?

1. lobobrandon profile image84
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Because we choose to hide them. I'm the only one who can see my accolades now.

Writer Foxposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  Why would someone want to hide the Accolades?

Well, I would just want to hide the amount of traffic accolade. People try and steal your stuff if you have high traffic.

Does that work?  (I file dozens of DMCA requests every week; I guess I'm just used to that.)  Do you really think the scrapers are viewing the Accolades?   Really?

Hahaha you got me wrong... Accolades viewed by scrapers no way. There are other hubbers who try and steal your work. Before there used to be a way to see hot hubs in an account and people used to try and copy the keywords if they see your overall traffic is high.

I just reported a Hubber who stole someone's Hub and published it on his website.  I have reported him before, but he's still on HubPages and still plagiarizing.  Sad.

1. profile image0
                  Jennifer Sucheyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wow. That just plain sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

2. Writer Fox profile image77

So, why are you hiding?  I just don't understand the reasoning behind it and seriously just want to know why someone would do that.

1. To Start Again profile image83
          To Start Againposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think, aside form the not wanting things stolen thing, some hubbers prefer not to display them because it means nothing in terms of content. They prefer readers not get hung up on an accolade that only means something to other hubbers. Some, I've heard, fear that these numbers may detract viewers and make them doubt the abilities of the author. I can understand that. Also someone said once that if you hide your accolades, then the first ad on your page is above the line where you would have to scroll down to see it, making it more likely to get clicked. I think it might have been paradigmsearch???

2. agvulpes profile image90
    agvulpesposted 4 years ago

as lobobrandon says, some hubbers choose not to show their accolades!   The setting is on your 'Edit Profile' page down near the bottom. smile

3. Writer Fox profile image77
    Writer Foxposted 4 years ago

But, why don't they want to show them?

1. agvulpes profile image90
      agvulpesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Now, that is a good question, and I can't come up with a good logical reason!

So, that's my question.

2. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 4 years agoin reply to this

For the same reasons why we don't want the hubber score shown.  Too many thieves come and visit, see that you are doing really well, and then steal your content and ideas and publish them on other sites. 

I would rather spend my time writing than spending it hunting down content thieves.  Scores and accolades are meaningless and worthless.  They are not a measure of a writer's success, they're a beacon for content thieves.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

You can edit your option in your My Account Page profile. Show accolade - to nobody.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ooops, not reading all the comments! I apologize.

5. WriteAngled profile image89
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

I hide my accolades, because I find them divisive and hate the attitude of competitiveness they are designed to foster. I also consider most of them to have no useful meaning or significance. I never bother to look at anybody else's badges either.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I sometimes look at them; in particular seeing what the traffic total is can sometimes aid in diagnosing a problem or answering a question the hubber has asked in the forums.

The rest, though (questions answered, commentator level, time on site, etc.) are either worthless or duplicated elsewhere.

2. DrMark1961 profile image93
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Like wilderness, I look at that traffic number too to see how much that person has pulled in. If someone claims to be an expert of SEO, has been here 4 years, and doesn´t even have 10,000 page views, I doubt that I would want follow that persons advice.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image85
    Mark Ewbieposted 4 years ago

I hide mine because I am almost a serious highly-qualified writer who has no time for such frivolities.  I didn't nearly take a degree at a University to be given some meaningless trinkets on my profile page.

Other reasons.

1.  I have yet to break 600 views and I don't want anyone knowing.
    2. I never did get a HOTD.
    3. Or a Rising Star.
    4. I have not been helpful to other Hubbers.
    5. My friend has now stopped following me.

1. DrMark1961 profile image93
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

And yet, I have pinned one of your hubs under my Pinterest board, "My Style (Along with Ten Great Ways to be a Slacker).
      What does that say about accolades?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image85
        Mark Ewbieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Blimey... thanks!  I'm a viral success.

I think it says accolades - schmaccolades.

ps. I'd Pin you but since being banned I lost my love for Pinterest.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image92
          PaulGoodman67posted 4 years agoin reply to this

HP should have a special "Mark Ewbie accolade" that is given to one hubber in particular and nobody else.  wink

2. lobobrandon profile image84

It say's you're a very kind person and have pity on people with less than 600 views big_smile Right mark?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image85
          Mark Ewbieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  I'll write a special page of thanks when I get that 600..

7. profile image0
    Beth37posted 4 years ago

If you were a boy scout, you would have such an empty little sash.

8. peachpurple profile image74
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

interesting question. I didn't know that you can hide your accolades. Now i am considering whether or not to hide them as I am afraid to have my other hubs stolen again. One of mine had been stolen already.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's no big deal-- I've had a few stolen, some were removed by simply reporting them to the web host or site. others (like from the Chinese sites) don't respond to anything. Still it doesn't usually make a lot of difference.
      Sometimes I hide my accolades, since it seems like boasting-- but most of the time I just let them all hang out there.
      See what works best for you, and let the chips fly where they will.

working