Why is my hub score dropping?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years ago

Less than a week ago my hub score was 92. It has steadily been dropping an is 88 as I write this post. I've actually been more active in the last week than ever ... in the forums, hub hoping, reading and commenting on hubs, asking and answering questions. I posted a new hub a couple of days ago and it's doing well. My traffic is rising, I'm getting more followers, I got my Level 1 Commenter status yesterday. I just  don't get it.

1. ameliam.michelle1 profile image61
      ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jennifer, many hubbers are facing the same problem. Just last week my score was 85, now it has dropped to 81. May be the algorithms of hp are changing just like the algorithm of Google, just keep the content level high and pray to God that it does not drop further ( I am doing the same!)

1. smartwatchreview profile image56
        smartwatchreviewposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm getting the same problem too. I thought it was because I was inactive for about a week. Hope it doesn't drop any further for all of us! Cheers!

1. tw6852 profile image57
          tw6852posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same here!  If I am not on this thing 24/7 I feel like I get docked.

2. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No one gets it. That's the way it's supposed to be.

FORGET about it!

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What she said. Scores mean nothing.

3. profile image0
      Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your replies. As zanaworld mentioned, I meant to say hubber score.

4. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine has done the same thing, only earlier. It was always near 100 and look at it now. It isn't important. At first, I worked to get it higher and now I figure it isn't worth the bother. The score doesn't mean anything anyways.

5. NotPC profile image56
      NotPCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8124288_f248.jpg

1. Bill Yovino profile image87
        Bill Yovinoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The best answer!

6. Jlbowden profile image85
      Jlbowdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jennifer:

I could never figure out the Hub score component thing out. My score was around 95 last week, and the last few days it has been at 100.  And to be completely honest -  I haven't had too much time on my hands, to compose new articles, or comment on fellow writers articles, which I should be doing more consistently.  All I have been doing is answering a good number of others questions.

That's basically it!  I really can't figure why it would go to 100. Even though I have been at that number several times over the past 2 years.  Many other community members say that it really doesn't matter if you have a high, score or not.  It's your individual articles and what their content contains, that counts the most.  Hope that helps make you feel better about the individual hubber score..

Jl

7. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hubber score fluctuates for no apparent reason sometimes. Bear in mind that every time you publish a new Hub, it will pull your score down, because part of the calculation is based on the average score of all your Hubs.  Since new Hubs have a lower score, that pulls the average down.

1. profile image0

Well that must be part of it then, Marisa. Thanks.

8. Hikapo profile image78
      Hikapoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8124726_f248.jpg

9. Bill Yovino profile image87

Put in a stop order at 86.

10. profile image0

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really not too worried about it, just quite confused since I've been more active than ever and anticipated it going up if anything, not down. However, Marisa's point about new hubs, which always start with a low hub score, being a factor might be at least part of the reason my hubber score dropped.

Whatever. Thanks again for the replies.

2. jasonycc profile image70
    jasonyccposted 10 years ago

Don't let it bother you too much. One of my hub has a score 91 and it dropped to 77 in less than a week. Traffic is quite consistent. Now it is moving up to the 80s.

I gave up trying to understand how it works.

3. zanaworld profile image57
    zanaworldposted 10 years ago

First of all, please note that Hub Score and Hubber Score are different.  I think what we are discussing here is Hubber Score.

No one knows the algorithms behind scoring of Hub Score and Hubber Score.  The Algorithms are kept secret.  It is better to forget and keep on working on your writing and interacting within Hub communities.

Please refer to below help to understand some pointers on HubScore and Hubber Score!

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubs … bber-score

1. profile image0

Yes, I meant hubber score. Thanks zanaworld.

4. Bill Yovino profile image87
    Bill Yovinoposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8123557_f248.jpg

This is how the Hubber Score is calculated.

1. profile image0

Well that done clears it up, Bill. Thanks! big_smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That explains a lot.  Too much room for one little error to whack the whole thing sideways. smile

3. profile image0
      OMGirdleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  I didn't know they used Klaatu's formula! ;D

Nice one!

...and a Klaatu barada nikto to you too!

5. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image75
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 10 years ago

My score ranges from 92 to 98.  I don't know what makes it go up and down.  I ignore it and keep on doing what I'm doing.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

http://memecrunch.com/meme/N5UJ/my-profile-score-is-what/image.png

7. Diane Woodson profile image61
    Diane Woodsonposted 10 years ago

See my score on Hubscores ok?

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

*Hub

You mean the one that gives a paragraph about how stressing the scores are then links to a guide of Darkside's... then promotes a completely unrelated video? wink

8. Autumn Renee profile image61
    Autumn Reneeposted 10 years ago

I read their FAQ and it said not to upload a lot of hubs at once even if they are high quality.  Maybe your increase in activity was viewed as temporary and hurt your score.

There is no rhyme or reason to Hubber Scores.  Mine fluctuates more than penny stocks on the Nigerian Scam Exchange. Lots of activity, no activity, it doesn't seem to matter. I'm guessing that a random number generator is involved.

1. Autumn Renee profile image61
        Autumn Reneeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed that my 30 day comments says 12 on the same day I receive my first comment for that hub.  I was going with the hope that it's an estimate.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What!!??   You Actually read the FAQ's ?  Congratulations!  smile

1. Autumn Renee profile image61
        Autumn Reneeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well...skimmed is more appropriate, but as a new poster I needed to know what kind of things they are looking for.  It's like tailoring your style to the teacher each semester.

Pay close attention:

Uploading too many Hubs may decrease your score.
          Uploading too few Hubs may decrease your score.
          Commenting on Forums and Hubs may decrease your score.
          Not commenting on Forums and Hubs may decrease your score.
          Thinking about your Hubscore may decrease your score.
          Ignoring your Hubscore may decrease your score.
          Riptides may decrease your score.
          Lunar eclipses may decrease your score.
          Solar flares may decrease your score.
          Seismic activity may decrease your score.

I hope you're writing this down...

1. Mavis Hazelton profile image62
            Mavis Hazeltonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well said

9. ameliam.michelle1 profile image61
    ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years ago

Well, the ratings indeed are quite confusing. The best way I have noticed is that just upload high quality content and remain visible to the community. What do you think?

10. Cerebral Aspect profile image74
    Cerebral Aspectposted 10 years ago

I've noticed that activity and visibility have a lot to do with your author score as well.  When I took a week hiatus from here, I also noticed that when I came back, my score had dropped a few points.

1. ameliam.michelle1 profile image61
      ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is not just about loading your profile with content but with quality content. I have seen many of my hubs going astronomical and then suddenly waving off. Same is with hub author score

11. Melissa A Smith profile image96
    Melissa A Smithposted 10 years ago

My score tends to drop when I get more traffic, and it shot up to 99 when my traffic was down.

12. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

That's interesting, Melissa A.  You could think it would be the opposite!

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96
      Melissa A Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah me too, every time I see the score up I think "uh oh". Usually 99% of the time I see my traffic down. When my traffic is where it needs to be it is between 90-96.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)