My "hub karma" score is plummeting like a rock!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (43 posts)
  1. stanwshura profile image72
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

I've gone from a 94 to an 82 in less than two weeks having done no activity until a couple of days ago.  When I started this session my score was an 83!  What on earth *gives*???

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HP just recently fiddled with how that score is calculated. And I noticed you have only 11 featured hubs out of 61. I think HP is poking you with a stick to do some updates... big_smile

1. stanwshura profile image72
        stanwshuraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, paradigmsearch, for your answer.  Ya think they could be more direct.  I thought I was gonna have to start some ruckus in the political forum or posting oodles of random and rather dim questions just to get my name swirling again.  Who was to know?

Unfortunately, at present, I have a very limited amount of real computer time each day.  I can post questions and what not via my smartphone, but no word processing (ie, editing or submitting articles).  So, looks like I'm gonna have to wait until I can get my hands on my own computer before I see that score go back to where it belongs (in my arum....maybe not so humble opinion!) !

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

stanwshura -

Along with the latest HP update that calculates the Hubber Score differently, HP  also implemented a feature that gives you style tips for improvement. You see that in the top right corner of the hub tool (when editing a hub).

Try checking those tips in your unfeatured hubs and make the recommended changes to try to get more hubs featured. That should help increase your Hubber Score.  Presently less than 20% of your hubs are featured. 

I like the new style tips and find them very useful.  I've been updating several hubs today based on those tips.  I improved some worst performing hubs. But it's also useful to check for any tips in the best performing hubs. I feel that improvements at the top can have a more extreme positive effect.

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Glenn on  keeping a good score. Appreciate your tips. I had some tips on a hub, and I fixed it.   
        Do you think hubber scores should be hidden? I value your opinion,  and  believe problems keep arising about the scores.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Brakel2 - My opinion does not matter. hmm

2. CraftytotheCore profile image74
          CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's an interesting suggestion brakel2.

3. stanwshura profile image72
      stanwshuraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now down 4 more points to 79 in less than 18 hours??!  Screw this.  I know my grammar *very* well, and I choose my words, voice and style as obsessively as a master chef.  Not calling myself Shakespeare, you understand, but I know how to write a damned good piece whether hp agrees or not.  So, to hell with it.  I'll fill my muse here with creative writing (which yields little in terms of monetary return anyway), but I'm gonna make my money and devote my best essay/article writing to Helium.com.  Not gonna fret over something so temperamental and whimsical!

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
        Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I could not agree with you more.  HP "poking us with a stick" to change our hubs to their design is not the "write what you feel strongly about" that was their clarion song that drew so many of us in.  I have too many friends here to move, but HP has gone from being encouraging to simply being irritating.

4. jacobedward02 profile image58
      jacobedward02posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi,
      I am new in this site and just want to know how hub karma works?

2. BigJulesMags profile image70
    BigJulesMagsposted 10 years ago

The Hubber Score is weird.  In two weeks I started with an 81, dropped all the way to zero, came back to 83, froze for 4 days, and just flew up to 90 in a few hours.  Makes 0 sense.

3. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

My Hubber Score went from 97 to 90.  Paul Edmondson's went down to 93. Just another case of management using time and resources on things that are not important and intimidating the authors on this site instead of focusing on driving traffic to Hubs.

1. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I applaud you for your total honesty!  Some one out there, undoubtedly, stays awake all night, every night, creating absolute nightmares for Hubbers.  One new thing per week to frustrate, upset, deflate, "control," irritate, annoy, correct, demean, insult, push, pull and confuse Hubbers, to their complete and utter LAST NERVE.  The only way I can possibly continue to be here is to remember my deep love for writing......and bonds I have developed with several fellow-hubbers. 
      At least I no longer cry tears.  Fortunately, my true value and the authentic meaning in my life, is NOT defined via Hubpages. 
      As for the money?  It is made by only those select few who know each and every minute detail about writing online for money.  These are highly skilled, learned individuals, who have master tech skills as well as their writing capabilities.   It took me 7 months to earn $50, here.  Last week, I sold 2 articles to a local magazine and was paid $350.00...........So, there you go!

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I have over 80 hubs, all are featured. I comment on other ppls hubs often and here on the forum. I drink lots of water though I should probably get more exercise. I pray a lot though I haven't been reading my Bible as I should though I am reading a devotional by John Calvin. I have no idea why my score dropped dramatically in a matter of two days, but it is to the point that I have lost the desire to clean my house. I blame HP's for this.

1. jericho911 profile image58
      jericho911posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are funny !

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've lost my desire to clean the house too!  Coincidence?  I think not.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It must be some kind of subliminal thing they're doing. Devious.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you just explained the current situation in my house.  Thank you, from the bottom of my pile of clutter. 

Off to light candles and learn a new incantation or two . . .

1. profile image0

lol. Meanwhile, my score went down another point since this morning. Soon they will have to start using minuses to calculate my score.

5. Shadow Jackson profile image64
    Shadow Jacksonposted 10 years ago

Beth37...too funny! LOL

6. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago
  7. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

When it gets below 90 something happens,but I forget what. Hey Beth I will get with the program and read my Bible.

1. profile image0

Yes, definitely read your Bible... just don't expect your score to go up.
      If you want your score to improve, call your mother. You know it's time.

8. Gail Meyers profile image63
    Gail Meyersposted 10 years ago

LMAO Beth

9. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 10 years ago

I don't know what to think.  Today my author score is 89.  In the 4+ years I've been on HP, it's never been below 90-except when I started, of course-and I've hit 100 a number of times.  Yikes! wink

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

Looks like that person who posted somewhere else on the forums that s/he only likes the Hubs of those with scores under - what - 94? - is going to like HubPages better now.   

Oh, wait...   It's all that person's fault!  HP is trying to make that user happy.    cool

1. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 10 years agoin reply to this

lollol

11. Winterfate profile image93
    Winterfateposted 10 years ago

My score oscillates between 90 and the big 1-00. Right now, I'm at that tasty number, but who knows how long it will last?

I've seen my Hubscore go DOWN when I publish new content (possibly thanks to the initial score the site gives my newest content). O_o

Honestly, who knows how this is calculated?

(To note, there are people who get many times the traffic I do and write about arguably more relevant subjects, and have a lower score than I do).

12. Evans4life profile image71
    Evans4lifeposted 10 years ago

It's like watching your heart rate decrease!  I need to do some clean up.  I can't stand it!

1. profile image0

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8279571_f248.jpg

13. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

My house cleans itself, somehow.

1. profile image0

No, Will. It's your wife doing the work. A lot of men make that mistake.

2. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You must be a MAN................WITH a wife.

1. profile image61
        Ghost Producerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't let my house get messy from the jump. Makes keeping it clean a piece of a cake. Oh and I have no kids, that's another factor

14. Yvonne Decelis profile image68
    Yvonne Decelisposted 10 years ago

My score went way down too and I don't understand why...

1. profile image0

They say it has to do with the new requirements for our hubs. You might take a look at them and see if they're all still featured.

15. profile image61
    Ghost Producerposted 10 years ago

Went from 86 to 61 in days. I'm now editing everything to spec and removal old hubs and preparing to add new ones

16. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I did Style Tips implementation on 4 of my hubs earlier today. It will be interesting to see what my karma score is tomorrow.

1. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine went down when I did it!!!! Typical.....

I don't think my hubber score can get much lower - can it??

1. profile image0

Ill race you to the bottom.

1. LeanMan profile image79
          LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm winning, you will have to try harder... lol

1. profile image0

Problem is, if Im succeeding at failing, I don't know whether to try harder or to stop trying at all.

17. Doodlehead profile image46
    Doodleheadposted 10 years ago

Mine went from 90 to 83 and now its back at 86.   But who knows.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)