Use of my Copyrighted work without permission claiming Fair Use Act

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 10 years ago

Some one has used a large portion (they copied and pasted 341 words to be exact) of one of my hubs on a facebook page and is claiming the use of the Fair Use Act. Unfortunately Google has picked this up and consequently is sending me 50 % less traffic for this particular hub which used to be my most popular work.

This person refuses to remove my work, or give me any credit. Is there anything I can do?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Start to take legal action against this person.

2. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had the same thing happen with my best poem which was getting over 50 views a day. Since someone posted in on FB my views are down to 2 - 3. I had no idea what to do until now.

3. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This thread made me think some more about something I've been thinking about for awhile: Whether Google indexes Facebook posts. I looked it up; my understanding now is they do not, only incidentally or accidentally like if an FB post is connected to Twitter. Facebook, being connected to Microsoft and so Bing, seems a competitor of Google. They (Google) only index posts on fan pages from Facebook not posts on profiles. So, content in notes and posts on your profile are not indexed.

Here's what someone from MOZ said: http://moz.com/community/q/are-facebook … eply_61757

Here's something on the limited way Google does index Facebook content: http://searchengineland.com/google-sear … den-130894

4. nafretiti profile image60
      nafretitiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

take legal action I agree,report them and quickly. Show them the original work and then what they wrote so they can see they copied it.

2. rebthomas profile image80
    rebthomasposted 10 years ago

The fair use act is valid only if they don't infringe on the copyright of the original work which this person is doing,. First you can report them to Facebook and they will usually remove the work.  That should work.

3. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

This person is claiming that because it's for educational purposes, the fair use act applies. From what I know of this act, it supposed to apply to educational works when you're quoting things like research etc.

I'll contact Facebook, should I send a standard DMCA letter?

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely contact FB. Go to the offending page and hit "report" and it should give you a list of options.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Fair Use Doctrine applies for many things and educational purposes is one. However, it must not be to an extend that it diminishes your ability to prosper from your original and in the majority of cases it must be no more than 10% of your total work. How many words in your article minus the 341 words should give an approximate percentage.
      Note: This does not apply to recipes, previously published works if your original is based on one, a review, commentary, used to demonstrate a technique and others.
      Email me if you wish and I will research it further.

See: 1. A particular use is more likely to be considered fair when the copied work is factual rather than creative
      2.The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole. How much of the copyrighted work was used in the new work?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Also,If they are claiming Fair Use, the site(s) will not take any action against them until the Fair Use is decided one way or another.

Sorry I forgot to mention this in my first reply.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, use their "report" button and in your report, utilise the standard DMCA wording as much as you can, to show you know your rights.

4. rebthomas profile image80

I would if Facebook doesn't work.  Yes they can quote you and use quotation marks and reference the source but that doesn't sound like what they did.

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
      Daughter Of Maatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nope, no quotation marks. Not even a citation let alone a link back to the original work. Makes me so mad sometimes.

1. petepr profile image60
        peteprposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Pure plagiarism. i don't you'll have a problem.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

Here's a link to Fair Use FAQ

Can you leave a comment on the FB page where it appears?

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Send the DMCA to them, and then their webhost, and then their advertisers, and then Google.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1
      Don't let them get away with stealing your content.  You'll loose ownership to it entirely if you do.

7. Eddie Saleh profile image60
    Eddie Salehposted 10 years ago

Send a DMCA letter and you can actually send the link of the facebook page via Google and they won't index it: https://support.google.com/legal/troubl … 14905?rd=2
    More about the DMCA Policy: https://developers.google.com/storage/docs/dmca

Also, you may want to notify facebook as well, DMCA letter would work.

8. livewithrichard profile image74
    livewithrichardposted 10 years ago

DMCA notices are worthless if the person who receives it files a Counter Notification Letter to the Cease and Desist letter they get from their web host.  The Counter Notification Letter pretty much lets the Host off the hook and then your only recourse is to file a lawsuit in the district of the alleged offender within 10 business days.  This means you have to travel to wherever the alleged offender lives (pay for transportation and lodging costs) find the court and file the lawsuit (roughly $25) within the legal time frame and then you must come back on the actual court date (second round of travel expenses) and physically appear in court to state your case and hope that the alleged offender does not show up to make a counter claim.  So, is it worth it to spend close to $1000 to pursue legal action for an article that is earning you a couple dollars a year?

I'm not suggesting that you don't file the notice, most times it is enough to scare some sense into an alleged offender, but if it doesn't then what? What if the alleged offender lives in another country?  It's not worth the headache over a few lost dollars.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

No of course it's not going to be worth the legal costs, but as you say, the notice is often enough to scare the person into complying - so it's always worth a try.

9. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

I decided to give the person a chance to remove my work, explaining that because of their infringement I have lost a considerable amount of traffic and therefore income. Thankfully, they agreed to remove the work stating that they did not realize my work was a source of income (personally I think that's bs).

But now I have a bigger problem. One of the sites that stole a considerable portion of my work did remove the offending page, however they are now selling copies of it for $2.95. How do I deal with that?

This is so frustrating,  it at the same time a bit flattering I guess. It must be a really good article (all about dragonflies).

10. rebthomas profile image80

Sounds like it is time for the DCMA letter.  It is amazing what people will do to make money with things that are not theirs.

11. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

From what I've read in "The Copyright Handbook" I'm entitled to a portion of any revenue they've made on the article, is that accurate?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you feel like taking them to court, at the cost of a few thousand.

Realistically, focus on getting it taken down.  if you want to drive the point home invoice them at your usual rate and see if it works.

12. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

I filed a complaint with FB regarding my poem and they removed it. In my complaint I stated that I lost revenue due to the unauthorized use of my poem.

13. psycheskinner profile image84

Counter-notifications are pretty rare and in my experience the host often ignores them.  Even if they don't, you can get then with a DMCA to their advertiser and to search engines to get them deindexed.

1. livewithrichard profile image74
      livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Counter Notifications are not rare especially to professionals in the internet marketing industry  They carry a lot of weight and hosts do not ignore them they keep them so they are not held liable in any legal case that may be presented.

A counter notification can scare just as easily as the DMCA.  You have to look at it from the marketer's point of view and not just as the content creator.  Many IM's pull content from article directories and other PLR sources to use as filler on their sites.  Most of these IM's do not rely on Google or other search engines or even third party advertisers because they pay for direct traffic through ad networks.  Several of the IM's I associate with are earning in excess of 40K per month so do you really think they are going to be scared off by a DMCA from someone who publishes articles for pennies on sites like HP or Squidoo?  Google already thinks these two sites are content farms so we are already associated by default with actual article directories that allow anyone to use their content anywhere so long as the keep all the attribution links in place.

Again, I'm not saying don't file, I'm saying you have to pick your fights.

Content thieves are not professional Internet markets and $40,000 annual income is small compared to the average income of hosting company executives.  Hosting companies are under no obligation to host any website, do not want to be sued, have the most money to lose and have no respect for plagiarists. They give plagiarists 48 hours to respond to a DMCA because they have to under that law.  Then, they remove the site from its hosting privileges. They don't need the hassle and anyone who posts plagiarized content violates the terms of service of the hosting company agreement. 

Authors and photographers can contact advertisers without a formal DMCA notice.  Just a short 'Cease and Desist' email demanding that they stop posting ads and profiting from their plagiarized content is enough to get a guy removed forever from ad programs such as Google AdSense, Chitika, Bidvertiser, ClickBank, etc.

Without a way to make money from visitors, content thieves get caught in their own trap eventually.

1. Marketing Merit profile image95
          Marketing Meritposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For clarification, Livewithrichard actually said 40k per month, not year.

I have submitted a DMCA counter-notification and had my site restored. In order not to be sued, hosts must comply with take-down and counter notifications. Not to do so, is unlawful.

There are also circumstances whereby hosts have no direct control over data, such as via the provision of dedicated servers.

There is a lot of anti-competitive behaviour out there. If hosts did not respond to counter notifications, then it would be an easy way to wipe your competitors out of the water.

Hosting companies evaluate the claims by hand and they do make a determination about which claim is truthful.  Most of them act very responsibly and want to protect their reputations in the industry.

In the discussion above, we were discussing complaints against a real plagiarist site not a false claim against a legitimately authored content site like yours. You're right, of course; they do see both types of complaints.

I have to be honest and say that I disagree with the view that hosting companies evaluate the truthfulness of  DMCA notices. In my experience, upon receipt of a notification, the content is removed, regardless of the merits. All the host is interested in, is simply protecting themselves under the safe harbor provisions. The simplest and most cost effective method of doing this is to remove any content that has been complained about and equally, restoring it upon receipt of a counter-notification.

2. livewithrichard profile image74

It's okay, some people just have too big an ego to read things all the way through. 

Before the first Panda, I had a relatively large article directory called 411Article.com  It had roughly 500k articles and over 40k members.  I received DMCA claims and counter claims every single day so I think I'm pretty well versed on the subject.  The directory was so big and profitable that I had to put it on a dedicated server and my host informed me that I only needed to forward them the counter claims to keep in compliance.  After Panda, like most article directories, the site was losing more income than it was earning so I closed it down.  Now my sites are mainly IM sites where I pay for traffic through ad networks.  I do not care if Google indexes a single page.  I don't need Google to earn on those sites.  I'm just trying to give you a perspective from the other side of the table with a voice of experience and not something I'm regurgitating from some SEO website.

@Marisa You may be right but don't be surprised if you do get a counter claim whether it is a legitimate claim or not, it serves only to derail the original claim.  Do not for one second think that just because you have a time stamp on your content published online that it will constitute as the absolute authority for copyright reasons.  Copyright occurs at the time it is written not the time it is published and if someone really wanted to push the issue they had better be able to afford the cost of real legal action.

1. Cardisa profile image87
              Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Livewithrichard, what is an IM site? Please forgive the naivety smile

IM = Internet Marketing Cardisa.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

But the point is, you can't know beforehand who's going to fight back and who isn't.   

So surely the approach should be, file all DMCA's?

I always file.  That's my approach.  And, it's always worked for me.

14. Mavis Hazelton profile image61
    Mavis Hazeltonposted 10 years ago

Hope you get sorted

15. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

DCMA letter STAT!

16. psycheskinner profile image84

Ignoring a counter-notification is totally lawful so long as the terms of service/contract specified that they host and removed material at will--as most hosts do.

1. Richard-Bivins profile image79
      Richard-Bivinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are completely wrong... A counter notification is a provision of the DMCA and it is meant to keep competitors from maliciously abusing the system.  It cannot be ignored and in fact it provides the host and ISP's a safe harbor from liability in any copyright claim.

Except that they can.  As many of us bloggers have discovered.  No host is obliged to put any content up just because the user claims it is legal to do so.  Blogger for example routinely ignores counter-claims. They reserve the right to withdraw service at any time for any reason.

Yes, I suspect that sites such as Blogger may well do, under the guise of their terms and conditions. But they cannot do it pursuant to DMCA. It would be unlawful to do so.
          Also, don't confuse Web 2.0 sites such as Blogger, HubPages and Squidoo with web hosting companies.

They just say that are doing it for no reason, that makes it "legal".  A.k.a. good luck suing them to get your blog back.

2. psycheskinner profile image84

I am not wrong.  Blogger ignores counter-notifications and it is legal for them to do so because they provide free blogs at will and without guarantee.  But if you refuse to believe that, that's your choice.

1. livewithrichard profile image74

I seriously doubt you have any idea what Blogger does and does not ignore. Besides, Blogger is not a hosting site they are a free blogging platform.   Why would any reasonable person try and sue a free platform? Also, nobody would file a counter claim to reinstate a free blog unless they could reasonably prove they have cause.  You have totally confused the purpose of a counter notification.  It is not to get a blog reinstated it is meant to provide a host free harbor from any possible litigation. 

Sure it is used sometimes by unscrupulous individuals but for the most part it is used legitimately by professional internet marketers who do not care what Google does or thinks. They are only concerned with their host and like I've said a few times already, the counter notification serves as a safe harbor for the host.  Most internet marketers are marketing either their own products or other people's products and we rely on ad networks to provide us traffic including Adwords.  There is no fear of having pages de-indexed and no fear of losing our host or ISP's.  The only ones that do fear that are the bad apples that only have a site full of plagiarized content.  I don't know what the payoff is for having a site like that unless they are using small ad networks that provide contextual ad links but I do know that when one goes down 3 more pop up in its place and they are often located in foreign countries.

Blogger and Blogspot are both hosted by Google.  Google owns both of the sites.  Google hand-evaluates any DMCA notice filed on those sites and Google cares very much about taking down plagiarized content on those blogging platforms.

17. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 10 years ago

I just recently had this problem on facebook. I reported it but don't know what will happen.

18. radhikasree profile image70
    radhikasreeposted 10 years ago

One of my poems was copied by 3 sites and I filed a DMCA with Google. Google removed just 1 URL from the search engines as it had ads running on it. Remaining 2 URLs were rejected. I couldn't figure out why they were rejected. They are hosted by Blogger and don't run any ads currently. Would this also comply with the Fair Use Act?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Did you file a complaint through blogger?

1. radhikasree profile image70
        radhikasreeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, I filed DMCA with google.

File one through Blogger to have it removed...

How? How can I contact Blogger? Blogger itself is hosted by Google.

Google is huge; complaining to one part about another part is like complaining about your local Walmart, to the manager of one in another state.

I can't remember how, but you can find their profile or Google the blogger report form and complain that way.

I agree Google is huge; But it does not have to move to your local Walmart to know about your complaint. It can know about it with just one click through its desktop or tablet.
                There is some reason behind the rejection of those 2 URLs. I think it's because of Fair Use Act posted by Daughter of Maat.

Google owns dozens of companies. I repeat - complaining to one company about another, won't help you.

Here is the form. Report through that.

Thanks Wrylit for posting the link. I'll report there.

19. psycheskinner profile image84

Some facebook pages are public, so they are indexed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)