Two of My Christmas Hubs are Copied All Over the Place

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I have two Christmas hubs that are copied in multiple places. Most are just entire capsules. What should I do when they are on a lot of sites. File a complaint on each and every one? This will take forever. They both got extreme traffic last year.

1. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Use one form for multiple complaints. Google makes it so that you don't have to use multiple forms. There is a section where you add multiple URLs, that is if you are filing the complaint with Google. Usually I don't bother sending notices to the websites.

Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that. That would help.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You need to file individual DMCA notices with the hosting company of each website where your content appears.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Have you found that works?   

When you report a site to Google, if Google accepts the complaint then that post is taken out of search results, but the offending website still exists, and is still being found in Bing and Yahoo! at your expense. Also, the serious spammers will just recreate the site at a new URL and start again.   

For my own writing, I prefer to report the websites individually to Adsense (if they have advertising) as a first step.  I figure losing their Adsense account is going to slow them down more than anything else!

If they don't have Adsense, then I file a DMCA with the website itself (if it's a revenue-sharing site) or their host (if it's a blog). 

I know it's a lot of work, but if you save the standard DMCA wording and use copy and paste, it's not as painful. 

This is one reason I stopped writing on HubPages.  HubPages is a target for professional spammers:  for their "scraping" software to work, they need to target a site which has large numbers of new articles posted every day.  So you don't get the same problem with your own blog or website.  My blogs don't get the traffic some of my Hubs do, but they're a lot less hassle to manage!

2. Writer Fox profile image31

Anything you publish on HubPages is going to be plagiarized.  It's important to check for content theft once a week (including your original images) or the task of getting it all removed is insurmountable.  If it were my work, I would file DMCAs against every one of them.

Do your holiday Hubs have the same search engine rankings for keyword phrases?

1. profile image0
        Ghaelachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@Writer Fox
        How do you check for content theft when you have over 100 hubs or more published?

Copyscape.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Barbara, file a DMCA complaint. See Cindy Murdoch's hub for information:
      http://support.google.com/bin/request.p … ;dmca=text

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Barbara, file a DMCA complaint with Google.
      http://support.google.com/bin/request.p … ;dmca=text

Phyllis, Thanks.

1. brakel2 profile image74
          brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Barbara  I am so sorry this is happening, especially a holiday hub. Good luck     Hugs.  Audrey

2. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 10 years ago

If you want to defend your copyrights, it takes effort.

3. Barbara Kay profile image74

At one time they were at the top of page one. Now they are still on the first page, but farther down.

Take down all of the plagiarist sites and get a couple of fresh links to your Hubs.

I'll do that.

4. Marina7 profile image59
    Marina7posted 10 years ago

That is so sad that people steal like that.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But they do, all the time.  I recently found part of one of my Christmas hubs included in someone's church newsletter.. no credit given to the source or author.

1. FlourishAnyway profile image95
        FlourishAnywayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A church newsletter? That is especially awful,

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Not really, because it was probably done in all innocence.

I've had a few instances like that.  In those cases, I write a nice email to the newsletter explaining that my work is copyright and that I would normally be submitting an invoice for the use of my material.  However as they are a charitable institution, I would be happy if they could post something in their next newsletter acknowledging my contribution.  They usually apologise profusely and comply!

I know I don't get much out of it - who's going to notice the correction in the next newsletter? - but the main thing is, I've educated them about copying stuff off the internet without attribution.

5. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

I suspect at some point in the future that Google will determine the original author by date. Until that wonderous day, plagiarism will keep happening!

1. Danielspages2013 profile image59
      Danielspages2013posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, exactly, and, when that date happens, Google will punish the plagiarism culprits with duplicate content penalties - usually a serious drop in the SERP's.

6. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 10 years ago

As Hubpages gets 40% of views, I'd have thought it'd have been easier and better for them if they'd taken a more proactive position on this and, perhaps, just presented us with something to tick and sign to say "Yeah - that's been copied ... go for it" and then automate the complaints from that.

For most/many writers it's too hard/complex/time consuming to get round to bothering ... and our little voices don't have the clout of a big company name.

We might only lose (say) $60 for each copied hub .... Hubpages loses $30-40 for every copied hub.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

That's true - but at the same time, they would have to check thousands of Hubs whereas individually, we each have a more manageable number.

The only way HubPages can monitor copied Hubs is to pay a third party service - most of which cost only a few cents per Hub, but multiply that by thousands and it's simply unaffordable for HubPages.  Besides, HubPages has NO legal right to submit a DMCA for any Hubs, because they do not hold the copyright.  Legally, the author is the only person who can submit the claim.

7. Dan Zynski profile image78
    Dan Zynskiposted 10 years ago

I'm too young a writer to know how these sorts of things play out; but in my mind, if (when) I start coming across plagiarism, I'll have a mixed set of tactics.

1) Contact site's admin.
    2) Offer shared use of the content for proper attribution, backlink, and some upfront pay.
    3) Threaten to level DMCA otherwise.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't bother with any of that.  Just file with the hosting site.

8. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 10 years ago

Make sure you're protected under copyright laws and find out whether or not people are getting paid from using your hubs. If you can prove that they are receiving monies then you definitely have a case.

9. profile image0
    unen-tsogtposted 10 years ago

You can report to Google. But chances you get response is low to none. Otherwise Google will algorithmically penalise them. Google bots are aware that your post has been published first. There are tons of bollocks who are not able to write their own staff.

I see no problem as long as they give you a credit and mention the source of the original content. But these morons don't do that.

10. dannycarrey profile image67
    dannycarreyposted 10 years ago

I would not worry so much about this. Google can easily identify which content is the original one by the date of publishing. The copied content doesn't get high in google results.

Best Regards,

11. Barbara Kay profile image74

Thanks everyone for your help. The one site has taken it down.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)