I filed a DMCA complaint, and got results. I am very happy!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (31 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 9 years ago

It took almost two weeks, but my copied poem is now gone from a Blogger's post!  This poem was copied verbatim when it was published here.   I had tried to file a complaint using the form we are furnished, but I must have missed a step along the way.  After waiting a couple of weeks, I wrote  about my problem here in the Forums.

Then, Writer Fox came to my rescue by showing me exactly how to complete the form.  I just want to share that with you in case you are not getting results from your DMCA complaint.  This is the link to that Forum discussion with his instructions.   I printed them out in case I ever need that info again.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128172#post2701732

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glad to hear that you got the poem taken down, Mary.  Its a victory!

2. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the links mary, i got twelve hubs stolen

3. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, Mary!

4. Faith Reaper profile image82
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hooray!  Good for you, dear Mary.  I am so glad it was removed.  Maybe that person will not do this again...

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am glad to know you got this resolution and received justice, Mary.

6. PegCole17 profile image92
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hooray, Mary. This is always encouraging news when someone shares a victory against plagiarists. You were right to continue and pursue this issue and not let them keep your work. Well done.

7. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi mary,

So glad to hear this was resolved! It's always such a great feeling to recover stolen work. Take that, content thief! smile

mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, yes, Christy!  My poem is mine again.

8. bonda profile image43
      bondaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just don't get it.  Why do you still someone's copyright?  Where is your conscience?  Maybe I'm old school, talking about conscience.  We all have bad days when we can't even write a sentence.  Shut down the computer, walk in the park, re-arrange your closet, wash the car anything, then go back and write, not steal.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Once in a while you find kids, maybe doing a school project, that don't know any better.  Or someone that thinks the anything on the web is free for the taking - I once had a site manager insist that and it took a phone call to his boss to change his mind.  Look around at HP - you will find thousands or tens of thousands of stolen photos and a few of those hubbers just don't know better.

But for the most part they are just thieves, no different than shoplifters or bank robbers.

1. bonda profile image43
          bondaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes Wilderness, you've hit the nail on the head: thieves and shoplifters.  What is nice is that they will be caught, not today, tomorrow or next week but they will be caught eventually and scandalized.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

Congratulations Mary! Well done to our helping community. I am also needing help for my stolen HP name being used in selling sexy underwears. Please check it http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128367

Hi, Thelma.  I don't understand how someone could steal your name and use it to sell sexy underwear??   How could I check it??

1. Thelma Alberts profile image90
        Thelma Albertsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here´s the link Mary. Am I allowed to put the link on here? if not I have to delete it. http://rachaeledwards.com/focus/thelma- … pages.html

I went to that site, and I just don't know what to say about your problem!   She definitely uses your name.   I hope Writer Fox sees your post here; maybe he could help.

Mary, sorry a few hours ago due to my cloudy mind, I have put the link above. I can´t remove it. I just remember that we are not allowed to do that. How can I delete it?

2. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thelma, next time post the link but add some spaces so that it is not clickable.  The reason is, you don't want to give the plagiarist a backlink.

The website is hosted in Spain. Here is the email address for the hosting service: soporte@prismanetworks.com

Send a separate email here, too: info@prismanetworks.com

Put "Copyright Infringement" as the subject line.

Begin the email with this: "Pursuant to The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works and the Court of Justice of the European Union, this communication serves as a statement that:"

Then, just use the standard DMCA notice that you use for a hosting service. (Remember that this is the hosting service, not the person who actually stole your content.)

If your images are also used, mention them as well.

You can also contact their advertisers.  They are using Bing/Yahoo ads delivered through media.net: info@media.net

Also, they are using ads from InfoLinks: http://www.infolinks.com/contact-us

In the email to the advertisers, this is what I say: "[name of ad company] and this publisher are profiting from my copyrighted work. You are monetizing content using my copyrighted text and images without my permission. I demand that you Cease and Desist from displaying your advertisements on content that has been plagiarized from my article and that you immediately turn over to me all funds you have collected from said ad displays."

You won't get any money back, but this gets their attention and if the advertisers stop advertising the plagiarists lose their accounts and eventually have to give up stealing content.

Writer Fox to the rescue!!

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
              Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's our Fox !

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90

Writer Fox, thank you very much. I appreciate your help. I´ll do that now.

3. Thelma Alberts profile image90

Writer Fox, thank you for your help. That woman plagiarist has removed my name and photos from her blog after I have sent a DMCA Complaint to her hosting site you have given to me..

2. Faith Reaper profile image82
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Thelma,

I have seen several sites that are using my name as "Faith Reaper on HubPages" and what they post is not related whatsoever to me or what I write, but when someone sees that, they will think I wrote it!  It is very disturbing, and it is fraud in my mind and/or misrepresentation.

Hi Faith Reaper,

It is indeed very disturbing to me and yes, anybody sees that think that it´s me selling those things. Of course, it´s fraud and very cheap to have used our names for hiding themselves. Thanks for your comment.

3. aesta1 profile image92
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Well done Mary. Will have to check the link you provided here. I had responses from Google for filed reports. The second though asked me for where the infringed copy when they have the blog that copied my article right in the email so maybe I did not fill it out properly.

I couldn't find my original Hub to correctly make the complaint.  I didn't know how to find it in the archives, but Writer Fox found it.  Without that info  I don't think I would have been successful.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image81
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

This is heartening news!  What that on BlogSpot?  I have reported several copied hubs that are on BlogSpot, but no news yet.

In the meantime, I did have some success getting rid of copies on websites where the domains were fairly easy to track down.  But it take a lot of time to do the research, contact the site's admins or host, or whatever, and then wait for the results.

I have several (like 21) copies of the {b}same[/} hub on just one site - it's a sales site & I can't even find my content on it (has popups and it's a gateway to some sort of sales).  It's supposedly in the USA, but no results yet on the emails I have sent. The phone just goes to a voicemail. 

The other one I'll have trouble with is a foreign site - the urls have 'za' in them.  I don't know what it will take to get those removed.

HubPages has helped us a lot by creating the feature that has links to copied hubs and the information (where available) for filing a complaint.  That's a huge time-saver.

I was ready to just give up and let this blogger have my poem.  It did take about two  weeks to get it removed by Google.

1. Joseph Garea profile image42
        Joseph Gareaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good job, I'm glad that poem is back home.

5. profile image0
    robertzimmerman2posted 9 years ago

I have done a couple back on Squidoo and had positive results as well. You have to defend you rights!

6. seraphic profile image67
    seraphicposted 9 years ago

This is wonderful News! It is nice to know that there is a "force" to be reckoned with" on the net for violations of this kind, someone protecting the "small writers' rights"!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)