My low score is ruining my life

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (117 posts)
  1. Dan W Miller profile image74
    Dan W Millerposted 10 years ago

I literally want to cry right now. I just now found out hubs have to contain 1100+ words. My score is embarrassing. In fact, I feel quite suicidal because of it and I'm contemplating it seriously at this moment.
    Please, is there any way I can get my score to NOT be shown to the public? I write good articles, I'm sure of it. They are just short and don't include bells and whistles to squeeze out a higher score.
    I am so discouraged, I don't even want to write anymore at all, thanks to you people at HubPages.
    This has been a dream of mine and now that it's been dashed, tossed into the gutter, I don't have much to live for now. I had a score in the 80's before.
    If I eliminated my lowest scores, would that bring my score up?
    PLEASE, I don't want the public to see such a low number, or ANY number, at all. Is there any way we could eliminate it from public view? Obviously I am a failure even though my public away from this site showers me with accolades.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You fought in Desert Storm and survived cancer twice? I am surprised you would be ready to toss it in because of a hubber score, the most meaningless thing on earth. You have sent a strong msg. though. I hope, as a comedian, you're just making a point. If not, here's a number I hope you'll call. 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hubs do not need to be 1100+ -- I doubt any of mine are.  You have 27 featured Hubs and are doing a great job.

3. Pamela N Red profile image84
      Pamela N Redposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think your titles need a bit of tweaking. Look on Google and see what titles are similar to your work and compare. Sometimes having the right title can make all the difference in the world for traffic.

Not everyone realizes you can change your titles. When my stories start to fall or become unlisted I change the name. Just a suggestion.

4. lovebuglena profile image86
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know where you got the information but hubs DO NOT have to contain 1100+ words. It's about quality of the hub content that's important and not the quantity of the words in the hub.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most of my hubs are under 1100 words, and look at my score! The score means nothing.

I went away for months and when I came back my score was 100. Maybe if you ignore HP your score will go up.

6. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dude...why are you stressing over a stupid number?Look at my score...58...I could give a shit?My author score use to be in the high 90's...I didn't give a shit then either.Just because these clowns and their algorithms put a number on your work...It...don't...mean...a...thing...Write for you and let the stupid numbers go man...

7. Askme profile image82
      Askmeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't get it. I read  some of your stuff and it is excellent.  All I know is everyone's scores are falling.  Mine used to be 95-98 and sometimes I even reached 100 for a few days.  I also had lots more traffic.

Hubpages is not what it used to be, but don't let a number bum you out, it is meaningless. Your writing is superb.

8. Askme profile image82
      Askmeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Something really weird that I find on hubpages is on my profile page it has "Hubs you may be interested in" one of them has NO hubs at all. No content!!! Why would I be interested in following a hubber who hasn't bothered to write one word?    Forget the numbers obviously they are not important!!

9. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're talking about your credit score, right?  Seriously, get over it.  It's just a number.

Dan W Millerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE IT! I have noticed from all the other great writers with the same score as ours. I lived!

10. quicksand profile image82
      quicksandposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Even if suicide helped raise the score I would not attempt it!  lol

2. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 10 years ago

Go Hop some Hubs and you will feel better immediately. Then go add a paragraph and some bells and whistles to two of your hubs.

Thanks for the advice and relating to my frustration, Solaris.

3. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

If it is any consolation only signed in hubbers can see your score.

So only we know you are hopeless.

Only joking!

1. profile image0

You 90s folks have no sensitivity. Dan and I are in the under 85 group. You'll never understand.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HP ran out of space for my score years ago. I keep most of it under the bed.

2. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Will, everyone can see your score whether signed in or not.

I refer you to an earlier response...

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118842? … ost2512306

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I don;t know if you are joking / suicidal.

I checked a couple of your pages.  Very few capsules, photos not accredited.  Just text and a photo.

Not really a 'stellar' Hubpages style article which I suspect is where the score starts to come in.

1. profile image0

You forgot the encouraging part.

When people say they are suicidal it is like they have a gun pointing at you but you don't know if it is loaded.

Anyway, you don't want to actually encourage them to pull the trigger.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not a trained Samaritan Will. I think it is 99% likely he is joking.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Oh did I?  OK - add some more capsules.

1. profile image0

smh

3. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Forget the score - it means nothing.  I have gone down from 98 to 92 in less than a week.  I continue to active in hubs and forums.  I received my first HOTD and my traffic is the highest it has ever been.  Quite  honestly I can't think of any way to get it back up again.
        I am just going to concentrate on writing and try to forget that number - ask anyone - it means absolutely nothing.

1. profile image0

He does hold quite a threat over HPs head though, don't you think?

I think it is send a SWAT team or give him another ten points.

1. profile image0

Another 10 pts and he's barely over me... surely he wants more than that. What more does he have to bargain with though?

BTW, how is it this thread hasn't been shut down yet? I guess if anything were to happen... it would look bad. I knew I shouldn't have responded... it just seemed coldhearted to let it float around unanswered.

You said the only sensible thing. And now I going to sleep before I get held accountable for everything evil that ever happens in the world.

1. profile image0

Too late. 'Night. smile

2. Dan W Miller profile image74

I saw your HubPages award Mark. I feel even more grateful a person of your status on the site would care so much for someone. I guess you figure you don't want to lose a follower either, eh buddy? Ha. Thanks again for your concern.

5. amiebutchko profile image69
    amiebutchkoposted 10 years ago

Dan, I know - it is so hard to not get upset over your score.  Sometimes it feels like it is tied into your self esteem and you can't stop checking it!  But scores can go up as fast as they go down.  Give it a little time.  Your score is really not bad at all.  Chin up.  I read your soldier hub and I loved it.

You are a DOLL, "butch!" I have never seen such a positive outpouring from a site as everyone here has showed me. Your's was so simple yet so lifting.

6. electronician profile image78
    electronicianposted 10 years ago

If you are getting suicidal about your hub scores then you don't need to look for ways to improve your hubs, you need to get off your computer and seek medical help immediately.

7. Dan W Miller profile image74
    Dan W Millerposted 10 years ago

You four have been a tremendous help.
    Yes, my low score IS terribly embarrassing to me. I feel like I "just fell off the turnip truck" of writers. Makes me want to quit writing forever.
    So, I wiped away the snot from my nose, like a child learning to crawl, tweaked three of my hubs, adding more useful material and resubmitted them.
    Even before I read your responses, I was determined to not give up... at least for now.
    Pamela, I did NOT like my titles and had changed all three of them. I now have no doubt that those hubs I took from the middle to the lower graded portion from my list of stories will receive higher marks thus hopefully improving my score into the "B" range (80) of "grading."
    Now I must wait the 24 hour assessment period.
    Thank you all sincerely.
    ~ D.

1. amiebutchko profile image69
      amiebutchkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dan, I like to think of "hubs" as one stop shops for your topic (like a train stop, or a "hub").  They are not meant to be just an article on a point, but are supposed to supply comprehensive info on your topic.  That is why, I think, you are supposed to add supplemental material (bells and whistles).  So, the score on your submission is not per se for your writing, it is perhaps on how it meets the criteria of a "hub."  I hope my "thinking" on the subject helps you....  Also, don't delete your low scoring hubs if you love them and they are part of you!  I considered that myself and for now, I decided, they are expressions of me and should remain... no matter how they "score."

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

So glad to hear you're not quite as depressed (I hope) as you sounded. Sadly, as Mark said, we never know when to take some things seriously. 

Tweaking titles is a great way to boost things - I've actually winced when looking at what must have once seemed like a good title for some of my hubs.  The photo capsules, videos, whatever will also help, and will bring you more traffic.

BTW - I have also wondered if things would be better if The Scores just plain went away.  There are plenty of non-public ways the site can nudge us to improve things, and they can be done without hurting feelings or lowering morale.

Definitely - hop some hubs!

Remembered your reply to my frustrations the most of all who gave me advice. Going back and reading WHY the site wants you to follow their guidelines helped. Thank you, Marcy

9. Hamshi profile image68
    Hamshiposted 10 years ago

Dan W Miller,
    I would love to give you a serious/helpful answer but I just don't know how serious you are [if] with that post... hmm

10. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

Dan's bio says he's a comedy writer, I think we can call off the sidewalk cleaning crew.

I'm fine. I just overreacted. Think if you had a dream and found out you were a million miles away from it with time quickly running out.  Besides, I'd find a much neater method.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm one of those who wishes the scores would go - I even started a thread about it:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/107466

Unfortunately I doubt HubPages will go for it.  If you browse through that thread, you'll see HubPage staff agreeing how useless they are, and I've had that reaction from staff elsewhere too.  At the time, the line from most staff was "we know scores are cr@p, but we're not removing them until we have something better to replace them with".

However more recently, site founder Paul Edmonson posted about what a wonderful thing scores are, and no one has dared criticise them since.

Wow, and you're an awesome writer with a high score, Marisa! Refreshing to hear and you made me feel like I'm not some nomad, rebel or outcast after all. A slight idiot, maybe...
          Although I DO see the "education" one could acquire from following the rules of this site. It HAS made me aware of how to write within a structured outline and approach that DOES make sense in hindsight.
          I just wrote 27 hubs without fully preparing properly beforehand.  OY!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think your Godzilla is showing, Dan.  Keep them laughing, it makes life a little less tedious.

That was nice. Thank you. I'm pretty good at THAT, Rebekah even though I apparently suck at writing. Yup, I just can't follow instructions, add pictures, a minimal amount of wordage and widgets that have nothing to do with the content and text of a creative story.

1. profile image0

Don't get discouraged. I read your bio and I just can't imagine that you're not a fighter. Is this your last battle? It should be a fairly simple one compared to the others. I haven't read your hubs yet, cause Im lazy, but I skimmed thru them and there's none that I wouldn't have found interesting. So if you have spelling mistakes or whatever, those things are easily fixed... but imagination and communication are things that can't be "right clicked" on... it doesn't appear to me that you lack either of those and they are infinitely more important.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
            rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you know how to engage an audience, think of it along those lines.  It takes time and practice to figure out what works best for your targeted audience.  Don't add anything that you don't need.  Relevant visuals/videos are nice. Original, engaging/informative content with a good title is what you want.

I needed that! Thanks.

11. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

This is the last thread about Hubber Scores:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112915

People have posted on the forum that they have no traffic, haven't published a new Hub in over a year, never comment on other Hubs and rarely post on the forum, but have a Hubber Score of 100.

So, whatever it is that people recommend that you do to raise your Hubber Score may not work.

And the last word from HP management is that they like the scores and are going to keep them. By they way, regardless of what Will said, your score is visible to someone (anyone) who is not logged in as an HP user.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I used to have a 100 hubberscore.

It's gone down now, but really I couldn't care less. It makes no difference to the public out there, or to where your hubs end up in the SERPS.

I used to get a lot more traffic too than I do now.

The interesting thing is that a hubber friend of mine used to have twice the traffic I did, but with half the hubs and a much lower hubberscore. A score in the 70s or 80s. She used to hate when her score rose, because her traffic went down!

Whether you are here for money or readership, the two go hand-in-hand, and hubberscore has nothing to do with it.

1. Cardisa profile image88
        Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Glad to see your score back in the 90s IzzyM. smile

12. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

Oh and my post was to the OP, not to WF, Sorry about that!

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I understand.  I do think that HP sabotages itself in a way with these scores that visitors can see.  I think it is detrimental to a visitor's opinion of most subdomains and perhaps to the HP site itself because most Hubbers don't have scores in the 90s.  And people really do get upset when their scores look bad.  I don't blame them.

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure I read on either this thread or the last, that visitors do not see an author score, so I signed out and checked this forum again, and hubberscores are still there.

They are of no use to those outside of the hubbing community.

The only good I saw them doing inside the community was showing us the plagiarists and spammers because before they clamped down on quality, we had a lot of successful hubbers here with scores ranging from 1 to 35.

These people never forum posted, obviously, because that would have meant calling attention to themselves.

If I found someone with a hubberscore of 1, I would be intrigued to learn how they managed it, and usually found none of their work to be original. Sometimes it was so original, it was unreadable, but it was obvious someone else out there had found the correct words and that they had chosen to copy then spin them.

All newbies start out low, so if someone forum posted and you noticed that they only joined 2 days ago, then you didn't worry, and were able to reassure them if they needed it.

You'd check their work, obviously, so newbies used to get lots more hits then they do now, unless their work immediately hits that Google flow.

HP took the date of joining off a hubber forum name. I still think that was a mistake.

That happened just before they started the apprenticeship program, so I guess it was to make newbies with a P on their name look better.

I agree that hubberscores are useless and should only be visible to the author, and perhaps their followers too, so that no-one ends up following a plagiarist accidentally (which, incidentally, seems to affect your hubberscore too).

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most of the hubbers that I've seen with a score of 1 followed 10,000 people as soon as they joined. I think that is one sure fire way to make your score crash.

2. Will Apse profile image89

'I signed out and checked this forum again, and hubberscores are still there'

Yeah, my mistake. They appear on profile pages and forums. Hubscores are obviously an area where I don't pay enough attention. .

I am weird enough to give more thought to traffic and income.

Frankly though. what kind of visitor goes to your profile page, notices the tiny numbers on your avatar, hunts through the site to find what out what the numbers mean, then, compares your score to other peoples and says,'obviously an imbecile, I will not read the article'?

3. Dan W Miller profile image74

This was an interesting, informative warning to me and most appreciative, Izzy. Have not heard anything like this mentioned before. The other observances you report here are comical. Thanks so much!

13. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

My score was in the 90s, even topping out at 100 quite a few times... then someone actually read my hubs and it all went to hell in a hand basket after that.

It is just envy, Beth. The staff read your pages, feared your power and tried to bury you in a hole in the desert.

1. profile image0

But I escaped and as soon as I get this sand out of my drawers, they're going to experience my wrath.

I just LOVE this guy. As an advanced student from the University of Sarcasm myself, I believe Will could be one of my instructors. He may be close to professorship status soon.
        I needed your "guy thing rule" of sometimes a man just needs a punch on the shoulder from another man who might have "been there" too and to give him a hearty, "Knock it off, ya wuss and get back in there!" It worked, buddy! Thanks!

14. patricia_bruce profile image78
    patricia_bruceposted 10 years ago

If it's any consolation, I tend to get more interaction and traffic when my score is lower, for whatever reason.  I usually just write and hope that it is useful in some way to someone.  If not, Hub score aside, at least I enjoyed writing my little story!  I enjoy my writing even if no one else does.  Tweak your mindset to believe that writing is for your fun and enjoyment...not for a "score" on HubPages or anywhere else.

15. Traci Ruffner profile image60
    Traci Ruffnerposted 10 years ago

Were you serious about contemplating suicide?  That is something that should be addressed above all else.  If hubpages is making you that depressed, you may need to step back from it for awhile and talk to someone about how you are feeling.  Please.  Get help.

1. Traci Ruffner profile image60
      Traci Ruffnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I probably should have read the previous comments before commenting.  Anyway, I am definitely glad you are not about to make the big jump. smile

note:  I had previously edited my hub How To Avoid A Bar Fight because I thought I SHOULD COMPLY and also try to get a higher score than 75. Now I have watched the hub's scoring shrink down ON THREE DIFFERENT OCCASIONS to a 71 then 70 and now it sits at 69!
        I didn't change the wordage of the article at all since it was in a publication! Yet I added what was required of me by you people like more pictures, a quiz, etc. HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN?! Explain that to me! Get that score back up there, please.

Naw. HA!  I was pissed and I knew it would get HubPage's attention... with the bots or humans that reside inside of it.

16. blueheron profile image90
    blueheronposted 10 years ago

I still think the scores are determined by bots. I think they are seeking overt signs of poor writing skills, such as the complete absence of capital letters, punctuation, or paragraphing. They may be programmed to detect word order that is not consistent with what you would call standard English, thereby outing the non-native speakers among us. They probably like headings and subheadings, since this would indicate an attempt at organization.

I think you need to find a couple of places to add in a semicolon. The judicious use of semicolons is a sure sign of literacy.

I think you should try doing some of these things at random: Add in some random capital letters and punctuation marks. Paragraph here and there, but not necessarily at the end of a sentence. Spead around some bold, italics, and underlines for no reason. Add some pictures of your cat.

Readers everywhere will be astonished, and I'll be the bots will especially love you.

1. Traci Ruffner profile image60
      Traci Ruffnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The bots will hate me for my overuse of commas then.  *sigh*  wink

2. spartucusjones profile image90
      spartucusjonesposted 10 years ago

I for one could care less about my score and I think it is a mistake to put any stock in it. You shouldn't really gauge your worth as a writer by it. Also I agree with those that feel that they should scrape the visible scores. It is a divisive issues and I am not sure what purpose that they serve. Also if they insist on keeping the scores it would be good if someone could explain how the scoring works. It would be good if the scoring process was transparent and it would be good if we knew all of the specifics that have contributed to a low or high score. That being said, what do I know. I wear a luchador mask and $5 poncho.

note: As I write this, I had previously edited my hub How To Avoid A Bar Fight because I thought I SHOULD COMPLY and also try to get a higher score than 75. Now I have watched the hub's scoring shrink down ON THREE DIFFERENT OCCASIONS to a 71 then 70 and now it sits at 69!
        I didn't change the wordage of the article at all since it was in a publication! Yet I added what was required of me by you people like more pictures, a quiz, etc. HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN?! Explain that to me! Get that score back up there, please HubPages!

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
          LongTimeMotherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dan, I have just taken a look at that hub and I'm honestly surprised that it ever rated 75. To be perfectly honest, I'm thinking that 69 is probably generous. Sorry, but you asked.

You have only one text capsule, the hub is very short, you have photos with captions but no mention of the source of the photos. Your paragraph structure is 'interesting', you wrote 'thee' instead of 'the' ...  and to be honest, I'm wondering just where you think the value of this hub is found.

Have you read hubs written by successful hubbers and compared them to your own work? There's a lot to be learned by studying the work of others.

Instead of putting your focus on hub scores and hubber scores, I strongly recommend you do your best to understand the process of writing. Not just writing hubs, but writing in general. You are clearly a creative person, but you've not yet developed the discipline of a professional writer.

There are plenty of hubbers willing to give advice and assistance to new writers, but you have to earn a decent hub score, Dan. It is unrealistic to expect you'll just be given one.

I do hope you will take advantage of the chance to communicate with writers who will continue to give you encouragement and feedback if they can see you are making a real effort to improve your skills.

You have a dream of being a writer. That's certainly achievable, but you're going to have to put the time and effort into making it a reality.  Stop talking about failure and embarrassment and start concentrating on success and improvement.

You've obviously had an interesting life, so start writing fresh hubs with a fresh perspective - impersonating successful hubbers if that helps. A self-published short piece from 2011 duplicated on HP is not going to be your best performer. 

Take a deep breath and start afresh.  Concentrate on the words, not the numbers.

Good luck. smile

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
            Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well said LTM: "You have a dream of being a writer. That's certainly achievable, but you're going to have to put the time and effort into making it a reality.  Stop talking about failure and embarrassment and start concentrating on success and improvement.".

That's advice we can all use.

Ooh, I like your (semi-)tough-love approach, "Tips." I needed that high school coach cyber-grabbin' my facemask and setting me straight down the right path. Muchas gracias.

Oh, I can handle it, LTM. I'm a grown-ass man and much prefer it especially hearing it from a guru such as yourself. I wrote that article for a biker bar newspaper/mag. Ya have to "know your audience." I usually write just as if I were conversing, so it works for some, not so much for the purist.
            I usually mean THEE instead of THE because I mean "el primero."  < Thee ultimate. (As in the way I might speak normally.) Oh, I SO appreciate any guidance. I'm going blindly only on people's encouragement. Just like when a began doing stand-up, I didn't get a lick of advice and just went up there and did it... warts an' all!

3. Dan W Miller profile image74

Well, your good luck wish to me worked or some other higher authority intervened. You were correct in your assessment and blunt response that the particular hub you read was not even worthy of a 70. It currently sits at a 68, I believe..
            However, I've had 4 other hubs since then reach "rising traffic" status, 5 are currently ABOVE 70 and 3 are at 69. My "big number" is 83, up from 77.
            Can't please everybody is my temporary mantra for today.
            Appreciate your participation, though.
            ~ D.

2. blueheron profile image90
          blueheronposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You wrote a hub on "How to Avoid a Bar Fight." I can tell you from my own experience that this is not what people want to know. What people want to know is how to GET in a bar fight. You will often hear your friends say, "I came here to fight, and I'm not done yet."

One of the main keys to successfully getting into bar fights is THE RIGHT GIRLFRIEND. You want the type who become overly flirtatious--and preferably belligerent--after a few drinks. She should dress provacatively and be skilled at attracting advances from the other guys--or imagining that such advances have occurred. As her escort, it is your job to defend her honor.

You can also play this from the other side: Look for a girl who is with a date. Size up both the girl and her date. Did he obviously come there to fight? Is she clearly trying to get him in a fight? (These types work as a team.) All you need to do is to make a very subtle move on his girlfriend. Everyone enjoys subtlety in such cases. It adds to the element of surprise--and also allows both the girl and her boyfriend to act like they are half crazy, which will add to their popularity and enhance future fighting prospects.

But the only way you can be SURE of getting into a fight by bringing that special girl who knows how it's done.

1. profile image0

lol

Maaaybeee 20 years ago, "blue." But I can "hear" the comedy of the situation just oozing out of you. Great angle! In fact, there are SO many angles to/from that story I can procure ideas for plenty of material!

1. blueheron profile image90
              blueheronposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So many keywords: cheating, girlfriend, fun girls, bar fights: what to wear, factory girl. Be sure to throw in something about the Rolling Stones.

1. profile image0

lol You forgot "tube top" and "tramp stamp".

U and Beth got it! I've performed in places that were THIS CLOSE to having chicken wire in front of the stage. Smell the roar of the crowd, feel the greasepaint (from the local attending females.) oy.  I could measure how wild the place is before I was inside by the amount of vomit in the parking lot! eeuw.

Awesome advice from the comic's point of view. That angle always makes my problems seem like a drop in the bucket. You put it all into perspective, my wrestler of the written word. Thanks.

3. LongTimeMother profile image93
      LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

BTW, looking at your profile page I see that you are editing 'everything'. Be prepared for your hubber score to drop even further.

Don't know why, but I can tell you that whenever I publish new hubs or edit existing hubs my hubber score drops by a point or two.

I'm currently on 96 because I've been writing and editing.  If I want to reach 100 again I'll have to take a rest from writing for a couple of weeks.

Personally I can't see any advantage to that. A high hubber score doesn't make money. Hubs do. smile

Oy. I guess it's like HubPages is saying, "Ya had yer chance, kid. Now I've gotta dock ya some points off your finals."
        A low hubber score means I don't want anyone to see it or the public will think I'm a lousy writer.  Well, I can collect up my hubs, abandon the place like I never resided here and log them all on to another writer's site for self advertising purposes.
        As Whinnie The Pooh said, "Oh bother!"

1. profile image0

Dan, don't let anyone get you down. Believe in yourself, in what you're doing and decide why you're doing this. Do you enjoy writing? Do the ppl who read your hubs enjoy them? Then ignore the rest, it's all meaningless.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8571257.jpg  < You just made me do this! I REALLY needed that, Beth right now. Thank you. And thanks so much to everyone that has been so kind, understanding and very helpful! *sigh*  77 is still a grade of C.  *O_o

1. profile image0

You're more than a number and you have a story to tell, so get to it, your readers are waiting. smile

2. Pamela N Red profile image84
        Pamela N Redposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep. I edited several and added a new one and dropped two points. Not sure why that happens but it does. In a few days things will go back up usually above what it was previously as long as your changes and additions are good ones.

It's great to have people to look up to who can still relate to my worries. I'm so impressed with your genuine care, Pamela. Thank you.

4. ziyena profile image91
      ziyenaposted 10 years ago

Seriously Dan?  Hubpages is not worth even mentioning that you should take your own life!  You and every other Hubber are worth more than that ... all you have to do is add more content (accredited photos and more research)  I've had to delete half of my hubs in lieu of my own mistakes, and I'm sure there are many many more in our same situation.  Low score means lack of content though I'm sure your writing is wonderful, just need to touch it up a bit more.  We all go through it!  Cheer up Charlie

10  - 4 commodore! Sincere thanks, Z

5. profile image53
      Tim Badoposted 10 years ago

Please never do that, you will be just fine. Just keep putting in quality work.

Look! The sun came up and we're all still here!  It's a brand new day!
        Thanks for your genuine concern, Tee Bee

6. ziyena profile image91
      ziyenaposted 10 years ago

Your very welcome.  another tip ... I take a look at the Hub of the day, and try and emulate how they create their Hubs.  Since then, my score has been gradually creeping up every day.

7. rainsanmartin profile image85
      rainsanmartinposted 10 years ago

I'll tell you first hand that my score was the highest before I was putting out Hubs. Simply commenting and answering questions raises ones Hubscore. I have many Hubs that score in the 70's yet I consider them to be of excellent quality, with 1200 words and nice original pictures. Therefore I feel the score does not reflect the quality of my work. It is primarily there to keep people from putting out spam, as spammers rarely comment or answer questions.  Hang in there and I'll pray for you. Remember suicide effects loved ones the most, think about them. This moment will pass. The sun will come out tomorrow.

Stand-up and just comedy in general is the same way. What I think will "kill'em" on stage may not and then I make an improvisational offhanded remark about how the joke didn't work and they die laughing. It's the ol' cooked spaghetti thrown at the wall. Some sticks, the stuff that doesn't, may have meant to be cooked a bit longer.  Thx, rain. You're a ray of sunshine through the uh... well... through the rain clouds. thx!

8. Thief12 profile image89
      Thief12posted 10 years ago

For what it's worth, I usually try to at least stay above the recommended goals (700+) while writing a Hub. Most of my hubs range from 700 to 900 words, with a few going over that, and I've had no problem at all. I have 30+ hubs (all featured), and 7 Editor's Choice, so you should have no problem at all, as long as the quality is there.

You are my new idol, Thief. I will try not to be a "Lenny" to your "George."  But I'm keeping you "in my back pocket" for future abuse er... I mean reference and/or guidance. thx so much!

9. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Dan........"Hubber Score," is the great mystery of all time.  No one seems to be able to explain and/or truly understand it's PURPOSE.  However, truth be told, every single writer has a love/hate relationship with "scores".......individual Hubscores and one's Hubber score.  Regardless of what we are told, or we read, the damned number has a sort of power over our psyche.
      The reality is, if you hang around Hubville often enough and long enough, you'll find that those Hubbers with Hubber scores, between 95 to 100 consistently, are the ones who will insist the score means "nothing."  Well, if that's not blatant Bull$hit!  I hit the 100 mark, several times for varying periods of time, during my more active Hub-days....and all doorways in our home had to be widened. 
      Maybe there's someone out there holding out on us with the BIG SECRET about the meaning of our Hubber score.  That person needs to know.......WE SIMPLY DON'T CARE ANYMORE.
      Read carefully......I would not lie to you.  It boils down to WHY, each writer writes.  My reason is as simple as they come.  Writing is my passion.....I must write, as surely as I must breathe.  Figure out your WHY...be happy and comfortable with that and leave it at that.
      There are hundreds of hubs written about HOW to write, what the "rules" are, SEO, evergreen, form, style, topics.......and classes to sign on to...The almighty apprentice program.....30 in 30....the list and lessons go on and on.   If your goal is $$$$....you MUST follow the straight and narrow path, carved out by the powers-that-be.  While I haven't a thing against $$$, it's just not why I write.  Whatever my "numbers" are or are not, I realize I have no one to blame but myself.  I'm perfectly OK with this.
      If readers like your writing.....do you honestly think your numbers matter to them? Well, the same goes for the high scorers.....Mr. or Ms 100, might just write "stuff," readers couldn't care less about....
      Finally, Dan.....the thing about suicide.....do we know if there are computers in the afterlife?  The real question here is, do you REALLY want to go back to long hand??
      Keep being who you are and doing what you do.  Period, the end.

Naw. $? bah. Just checking off more Bucket List minor accomplishments after almost dying 5 yrs ago. Bottom line is/was I just didn't follow HubPage's directions, didn't do any researching, just dove right in and tried "The Frank Sinatra Method" of doing things. ("MYYYYY WAAAAAYY!") I put myself in a hole but I survived, I lived to experience another day again with the awesome caring and help from SO many here in "Da 'Ville." Yeah, you know how to put it all into perspective (with lime twist,) #48!  Very silly food for thought immortality ideas from you. Thanks!

10. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Well now it seems that suicide is off the agenda...

I think referring to such an act is careless at best, and thoughtless.  There are plenty of genuinely suicidal people on the net, some of whom seek help.

So although you may have been trying to get attention in a 'humorous' way - personally I think it was out of order.  Too much.

"My scores are crap - please help" might be a better approach.

Noooot so much the humorous way, Marko. Don't mean this in a bad way but YOU. DON'T. KNOW. ME. It NEVER WAS meant in a humorous way. But I hear ya. Maybe in a DRAMA QUEEN sort of way, I'll admit, but my life rather sucks, I have a teeny bit of writing, speaking, conversing skills (and that's it) and I strive (too much) for perfection.  Appreciative, however my Father died 12 years ago (if ya know what I mean.) I will flog myself later and report back. (smiling)

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Well had I thought you were serious I would not have made any comments at all.

I assumed as your bio mentions comedy that it was meant in some sort of ironic way.

It is not hard to fathom Hub scores.  It is a blunt algorithm.  Look at the HOTD examples.  Lots of capsules, photos, polls, capsules, etc.

If you don't want to play that game then fine, but that is how the scores work.  There is nothing on the planet that can judge the quality of your writing. Even humans would differ in opinion.

I suppose I get regularly disappointed, even 'depressed' by results.  But it is only a dumb algo.

Mark, nothing wrong with being a caring person. Please clone yourself then come over here and let's share a sifter of primo firewater. I sometimes hunt for reasons to use the Cat 'o Nine tails on myself.  I haven't even BEGUN to crawl yet, obviously. The feedback here has been tremendous and has forced me to unplug and reset my thought process. You are and it's all been much appreciated and please don't stop being you. I needed to hear all that you have said/wrote to me.

11. prokidwriter profile image94
      prokidwriterposted 10 years ago

Don't worry too much about your score - I was in the 80s when I began on HP and it took quite awhile to get it higher. A couple things I did to bring up my score: Temporarily un-publish low scoring hubs and work to improve them; Attribute photos appropriately and add higher quality photos; Use Google keyword tool to help improve subtitles. I wish you all the best in your writing and hope that you keep at it!

Aw gee thanks, "pro!" That was nice of you and quite encouraging.  Life on "The Hub" is much better now, thanks.*
        Earlier today I had commented back to someone:

Well, your good luck wish to me worked or some other higher authority intervened. You were correct in your assessment and blunt response that the particular hub you read was not even worthy of a 70. It currently sits at a 69.
        However, I've had 4 other hubs since then reach "rising traffic" status, 5 are currently ABOVE 70 and 3 are at 69. My "big number" is 83, up from 77.
        Can't please everybody is my temporary mantra for today.
        Appreciate your participation, though.

* all in a 72 hour period

12. donotfear profile image83
      donotfearposted 10 years ago

Reading the opening statement by the original poster and some of the following comments, I'm compelled to say that I'm one of the ones out here who continually kept a 95+ score at all times.  I hit 100 several times. 

I understand the frustration felt by those who have a continual low score.  I'm with ya. I don't know if it counts as a bad or good thing. It's just there, traffic is bottomed out and I just keep my page active by checking my stats daily and occasionally posting an article on FB.

When the big whammy came about 6 months to a year ago, my score dropped drastically to 85, now 84.  I tweeked some hubs, corrected mistakes which were flagged and did what I could to rearrange titles.  I consider myself an above average writer with only a few sloppy articles.

I'm not actively writing articles at this time; life is going too fast and I have multiple responsibilities.  But I still get gas money from writing on Hubpages.  A tank of gas a month is good to have.  I'm still producing SOMETHING. 

So I guess what I'm saying is, a lower score may not be the end.  It's self satisfying to have a 100, but I didn't make much more $$$$ at a 100 than I do now. I only hope that I don't open my page one day and see I've been completely obliterated because of lack of activity; I can't help it.  Life is extremely stressful right now.

I've been around here a long time, friends have come and gone.  Self satisfaction can substitute my lack of a 'high' score right now.  I pray that others who feel beat down can look at it in the same light.

It was a stunner but I DID go back and edit nearly every one, took out some low scored hubs and improved even more on good ones. I went up to 83 then settled at 82.

1. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great news, Dan. Glad you accomplished your goal. Tenacity, stick-to-it-ness, and patience really do work in this crazy, unpredictable place I affectionately call Hubville. Amazing support and help you received here. Keep up the good work. :-)

13. TheRopesToKnow profile image61
      TheRopesToKnowposted 10 years ago

do they post your scores for the public to see?

They always do. I went up from 77 to 83 then settled at 82.

14. TheRopesToKnow profile image61
      TheRopesToKnowposted 10 years ago

I have a hub that was a 65 and went up to the 80's and then back down to a 67. What is up with that?

I'm scared. I took a gem out of there just today but it was my only one below 60. So I yanked it.
        Wanting people to see my hubs from other sites but when your overall score is low compared to 98's & 100's, ya feel it's not fair or maybe ya DO suck. I hate that.
        I just went back on all my hubs, followed directions and got betters scores and overall score.

1. TheRopesToKnow profile image61
          TheRopesToKnowposted 10 years agoin reply to this

what does the number in the bottom right hand corner stand for. Is that your average hub score?

IDK. A combo of your hub scores, participation, comments, blah, blah all crap that has nothing to do with the quality of your writing. Lame, eh? I only have 8 of the 20 hubs rated over 68. And those are my HIGH scores!

1. TheRopesToKnow profile image61
              TheRopesToKnowposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your help!! Good Luck with your scores! I have a feeling my scores are going to take a while to get up too. I thought my second hub was so much better than the first and it got rated lower. Spent a lot of time on it, too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)