Traffic drop by around 50%

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Is anyone else experiencing this very big traffic drop? I haven't had such low traffic for over a year.

Does this have anything to do with the update on March 26? I am asking because it seems that update had more to do with backlinking. Any links i have to my hubs are usually from sources I don't know.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I fond five Hubs last night which had been nicked and for some unknown reason I thought I would check and see if the reason if your lack of traffic was somehow related.   I found that your hub Visiting-Jamaica-Things-You-Should-Know-Part-2 has been stolen - this after having checked only three of your Hubs - I chose this one because I thought it might be something a lot of people might be looking for.  The thief responsible is a Google member and he has had an extraordinary amount of traffic to his google pages.  You might like to cut and paste a piece of this Hub into Google and find the person responsible.

Sally

Sorry for the typos, wish I had read this back properly.

Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much Sally. I had checked a few hubs last week but didn't check that one. I found a few of my hubs on Facebook, Wordpress and Blogger. They were removed. My traffic fell from around 1400 per day to 750+.

You are welcome. I wondered if you could answer a question for me please.   I checked out the Hubs which I had stolen - looked on Who is and discovered that the offenders had already been shut down - is there any point in my still filing a DMCA?

Also like Alistair - my traffic is very good - including my website which gets close to 7000 visitors each month.   I just don't like the thieves getting any that they don't deserve.

Sally

If the site is already down, there is no need to file the DMCA.

I am not sure if my traffic drop has anything to do with my hubs being stolen. I think my place in SERP has dropped.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How do you know it's been shut down?  What does Whois say?   

Type the URL of the website into your browser.  If the website doesn't come up, it's been shut down and there's no point in filing a DMCA.

I did type the website into the browser and it did come up but when I looked on Whois to find the owner of the domains, they all came up with this:-
                Status    clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited
                Am I not correct is assuming that there would be no point in filing a DCMA

I have also found some more stolen hubs on DuckDuckGo.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
                  Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, you're not correct.    What that message is saying is that the owner can't make changes to the domain name for some reason - but it's probably temporary and doesn't affect his ability to run his website. 

Anyway, you don't need to find the owner of the domain.  If he's a thief, he's going to ignore you anyway.  What you want to know is, who's hosting the domain?  Then you Google the name of the host + DMCA (e.g. "GoDaddy DMCA" or "Hostgator DMCA" to find their instructions for filing, and follow them.

As I understand it, one of the culprits is using blogspot but when I look at their instructions to file a DCMA list only one category, which is not quite correct = like impersonating myself - which is not strictly true - they are using my content.  One of the others appears to be hosted by Kiwibox, travelbox and something called experience box.  It is a mine field and I quite frankly don't know where to start - even going to the Hubpages guide - leaves me with a list of categories which I don't think apply. My self taught computer skills are lacking when it comes to this aspect of online writing.  I need a step by step guide showing me exactly how to do it.  Then I found some more on DuckDuckGo.

2. Alastar Packer profile image70
      Alastar Packerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Gosh it's sad to read about yours and other traffic droppings. For what its worth mine just continue rising with practically no backlinks and only 40 hubs. Mean anything? Although they are connected to a website with 5k views a month and rising; could this at least be a possible answer?

1. Alastar Packer profile image70

Guess not.

I am not sure Alastar. Google is an enigma to me.

I'm not sure about it, either. But I keep a link on the homepage to HP and have a lot of guest writers with HP links, too. Maybe it helps, maybe not? But there are a number of guest writers who say it does.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure that is very helpful! 

I don't know about traffic trends at this time, but I know if I'm searching for something specific, I'll go to sites targeted for that topic.

It is, thanks, rebekahELLE. And the best thing is 90% are unique viewers with new ones finding the stories more and more. This is of course good for the blogs and HP as well.

3. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine's been down about 20% as well.  But the rate is a little higher, so it has evened out monetarily.

4. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not seeing anything off the usual season trends.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

My traffic has dropped noticeably over the last few days - perhaps 20-25%.

3. profile image0
    Prosperity66posted 10 years ago

I also experienced a traffic drop these past days but couldn't remember the exact time it happened. I also didn't hear of any update these past weeks...

4. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

My traffic is down about 25% too, but when looking over my stats page I notice it is not all of them. Some are affected even more severely, and seem to be getting almost no organic traffic.
    I suspect the Google shuffle.

5. Nell Rose profile image88
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

Yep me too! I have lost hundreds of readers a day over the last week or so. Hey ho here we go again!

6. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 10 years ago

My traffic always dips over the weekend and its rising back to normal weekday levels now it's Sunday evening

1. Nell Rose profile image88
      Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It does go down at weekends, but the beginning of the week saw my drop, and its got steadily worse since then, but going back up slightly now

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine has dropped really low too. Yesterday I didn't have ONE person on a hub! Today it's a little better. It is Spring finally in the US after a frigid winter, maybe everyone is doing yardwork and getting outside. I am!

7. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

My traffic has followed yours, while some of my personal websites have see traffic increase by almost 1/3. I guess google is playing around again.. I will wait until next month however before I start making any changes just to see what happens as most of the time these dips correct themselves on the next update.
    I have noticed however that some of my traffic losses are very country specific, for instance my traffic to my Saudi hubs from Google SA has dropped dramatically while my google.com traffic has maintained normal levels.

8. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

Two of my hub accounts went down, two went up.  The hit happened late March.

I do have some concerns about the Amazon scheme being heavily promoted by HP, not so much because of the scheme itself, but because Amazon hubs are one thing that Google has come down heavily on in the last couple of years - not just here, but at Squidoo too.  They seem to be intensifying the clampdown.

I am obviously not against the use of Amazon capsules, just concerned that there might be more appearing on HP that Google considers to be "low quality" and then the whole site is hit.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Paul, I don't think Hubpages has much to worry about on that front; its front page, hierarchy, and staff are not pushing minimal-content reviews the way SquidHQ is doing.

I'm seeing a slight traffic dip on HP right now, but it's a bit like mutual funds: the usual ups-n-downs, nothing that would start setting off alarm bells for me. But Cardisa may indeed be having problems with duplicate content. (Although a couple of my top-traffic hubs have been copied by thieves, and unfortunately one of them is plastered over the net in so many places that I just don't have the energy to hunt them all down... I'm assuming that my Google authorship and Google's own records will show which is the original, and for now, traffic's steady).

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a great deal of confidence in Squidoo at the mo.  Some of their recommended lenses seemed bad to me: there was even some personal blog type stuff they were pushing which certainly surprised me!  They seem to permanently ban decent material that just needs the number of keywords trimming, without tackling the lenses that are obviously low quality.  Maybe it's a technical issue, in that it's relatively easy to use keyword counting software and detecting other probs is harder (hence HP using MTurk).  I think Google are relatively sophisticated nowadays and Squidoo are struggling to respond.  They must be struggling financially too, given how low their payouts are nowadays!

HP traffic hasn't altered a great deal for me overall in terms of numbers over my 4 accounts, certainly in the last 6 months (a year ago I was doing way better).  What has changed however is that I seem to have lost traffic on hubs that used to make me money, and gained traffic on hubs that don't make me much money.

I saw some major swings at the end of last month.  This account fell quite a bit but another of mine rocketed.  I will carry on doing what I usually do, deleting the worst stuff and trying to improve the rest and hoping for the best.

9. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

I just want to thank everyone for their replies. Been busy with work and filing DCMA. I keep finding other hubs copied as well. Oh, I am so angry right now. I do see a slight increase today but my best performers are still down.

10. profile image0
    Prosperity66posted 10 years ago

I'm not sure these sites were taken down, as the one I found one of my Hub - and lots of other stolen Hubs one month ago is still live.

However it seems that it was de-indexed by Google - or so low in the result pages that I didn't find it any more. But with a direct link typed in your browser you can still find it - now it even has some sort of pop up or pop under page that pops up when you want to leave it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)