Not disclosing earnings, impressions, etc baffles me!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (44 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

WE are not allowed to disclose earnings, etc in forum or elsewhere. But, there are several hubs with earnings per month, hub scores, number of hubs etc by the same hubber. They list names of hubbers that they are providing stats and income.   I don't get it. 

These hubs are at least 2 years old, violates HP rules and Adsense rules.   People get banned for doing this which makes it even crazier as to this being allowed for some, but not everyone

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

do you have a link?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The reason is that the rule about not disclosing earnings is new.   Until very recently, discussions of earnings were frequent:  we were never allowed to disclose specifics like CPM but it was fine to discuss how much we earned in a year etc.   I'm not sure when it changed, but I'd say those rules were written before the change.

1. Dressage Husband profile image68
        Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you mean the Hubs were written before the change of rules!

3. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

yeah, when I wanted to answer the earnings questions, I saw some hubbers said that it is against the HP rules. But you said it right, I also read some hubbers articles stating how much he/she earns after testing out . That is consider not against the rule? Maybe.

4. Paul Kuehn profile image93
      Paul Kuehnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you write on Bubblews, you will see a lot of posts where members are boasting about the amount of money they earned in one day and for each post they publish.  When I see these posts, it makes me envious and also wanting to compete with them for earnings.  I think it is just as well that we can't post about our earnings here, because a lot of people would then be on this site like Bubblews for trying to earn money quickly instead of just for the enjoyment of writing.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Yes, same person  at least 3 hubs doing this. They were reported yet hubs still alive.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61

<snipped>    3 hubs

Reveals earnings here as well
    <snipped>

1. profile image0

His article says "All information comes directly from or is derived from figures at HubPages Success Stories." with a link to the success stories page, which used to have information about certain high-earning hubbers and what they were earning.  Now the success stories pages is just a gussied up sign-up page. 

He was using info that HP itself provided. And according to the date at the bottom of the hub, it was last updated February 2012, so mainly he is guilty of having an out-dated hub. But you can always flag it if you think it's inappropriate.  Ultimately the hub mods will decide if it's bad or not.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61

The link he gives is to sign up page for Hub pages.

I saw something that had done the same thing, I believe was by a previous HP staffer or they stated the staffer that gave out the information.

Thing is, disclosure of earnings, stats, not allowed violates Adsense rules and HP rules.

Reporting hubs means nothing these days! Copied content stays.  Violations stay. Spun content, poorly written content, it all stays.  I wonder if they get 100 for a hub score too!

1. profile image0

Yes, as I said in my previous post, the success stories page USED to be actual success stories with info about what the successful hubbers were making.  Alocsin wrote a hub based off that. 

Now HP changed that page to a glorified sign up page.

Alocsin was only writing a hub based on what HP was providing for all the public to see.  His hub is quite old now, it's not his fault HP changed the page, but he hasn't been active enough to update his hub.  It's not necessary or justified to pick on him.

As I said before, flag it as you fee necessary and let the hub mods decide.  If you have flagged it repeatedly and it is still published, then I guess the mods did not feel it was inappropriate.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Disclosure of STATS violates Adsense rules.  There is nothing in Adsense rules that says you can't discuss how much you earned, you simply can't be specific about CPM etc.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Goes to show, rules don't apply, never did apply to everybody.

1. profile image0

I understand your frustration since I have flagged bad hubs that still remain published. HP probably thinks first and foremost of the ad revenue.  Perhaps that hub still gets a lot of hits.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If HP only thinks of the revenue, why then are they advising people to limit their ads, etc?  I see numerous people with hubs that are nothing more than sales propaganda.  Yes, they meet the 50 word limits, etc., but all they are doing is selling products, not producing meaningful content.

This practice drags the whole site down, and we are all suffering as a result.  I have said it before and will say it again, if you are loading up your articles with ads that are combined with thin content, you are damaging yourself and everybody else here.

I would worry less about people discussing money, etc., than I would about this type of spam.  It's the very reason HP took a hit from Google recently.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Calculus: Could be. Making money online is still a hot topic.  I found it when looking for another hub or forum post I had run across.

Spam in forums are okay.  Copied content is okay. 
    Reporting hubs, forums, etc doesn't mean anything anymore because it is left alone.  I see a lot of this in the middle of the night when I can't sleep because it is morning time across the globe in some places.

If moderators allow the garbage, then the garbage will keep coming.

I will stop reporting since it is a waste of time.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I thought it was always a rule. I have seen some discussion with earnings disclosed in forums, but they were old forums, and was surprised at that. 

Another reason for HP to get rid of the old, outdated and incorrect information from their forums, etc.

Of course there are those who still disclose, but the heck with it.

8. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

While it is frustrating to see stuff that seems to be breaking the rules, I keep my stress level down by letting other people follow / interpret the rules as they see fit.  I can only control my own behavior.

I myself report my income in my user name. lol I wish.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very well said - I so agree with that. smile

So - HP made you a millionaire, huh? Good for you!   lol

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep, and I knew it was going to, so that is why I named myself that from the start!

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61

LOL Millionaire Tips

10. LindaSmith1 profile image61

TimeTraveler: HP is allowing it.
    I have broken up hubs, using text boxes, to add more products and then a few more just to see what would happen.

They get high hub scores starting out.
    Earnings have gone up.
    Those that had low hub scores have moved up, like from 60's to 90's.

I have also done a few other things with keywords, changing titles.
    I have also moved most of my images to the right and removed the one at the top of the page, as well as those with the first text box for some. I also did changes with images such as removing attribution for all of them, and use the caption box to name image, and don't use title captions anymore,removed all of them I believe.

When the announcement came about the merger, I knew what was going to happen. If HP is going to allow it, then I am jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe sales will increase.

LindaSmith1

Just because HP is allowing it does not mean that we should be doing it.  This is not about immediate earnings but rather what doing this will do the HP in the long run. 

We are not here to sell products...we are here to write good, meaningful content that will help people. If there is a product that supports that type of content, then good.  But...to just write in order to sell and load an article up with links to products, I think is both unprofessional and damaging.

Paul Edmunson reiterated this view not long ago, but has yet to legally make changes to support what he said.  For now he is counting on our own professionalism and common sense to do the right thing.

People who want to buy products can go right to Ebay, Amazon and other sites to get them.  They do not need us for that, and I do not think it is a good idea to provide too much of this.

It's kind of like going to a doctor's office and seeing that he is pushing products in his waiting room.  Yes, it is legal for him to do this, but personally, when I see a doctor doing this, I stop going to him because it is clear to me that he is more interested in money than he is in my health.

This is the same concept.  Each of us has to decide what we think is right, but we should all remember that we are part of a community and what we do affects everybody here.  Spam is spam, no matter how you sugar coat it.

11. LindaSmith1 profile image61

As to product allowance, HP has the lowest in words requirement than sites I am familiar with,  Even new ones popping up are requiring 100 if not 200 words per product.   

Another thing Squidoo did was allow product descriptions to be part off word count.  I had brought this up. Paul said they he thought that had been implemented here already, but HP was going to do that too.  So far, the word counter only counts text in text boxes. HP seems to be leaning towards doing and allowing what Squidoo did and allowed.   Until they see an income loss for the site, I don't see HP cracking down on anything including the types of pages that I know you are seeing.  At least I add content vs fluff just to bring up word count.

If that is what is happening, then all of us need to start looking for another writing site, because this one will go the same way Squidoo did...that does not seem like much of a plan to me!

Good grief !!!  If HubPages is going to follow some Squidoo rules, I agree that we better prepare early and look for other places to write.  Why should we all have to start following the way of a web site that went down - that would be a defeatist thing for all of us.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I am not sure where this is coming from?   What Squidoo rules is HubPages thinking of following?   I haven't seen anyone suggest such a thing.

Linda is referring to the description inside Amazon capsules being included in word count.  If someone posts a long description inside the Amazon capsule, then I think it's reasonable for that text to be counted.  If they post only a few words, then it's not going to make much difference.

I do agree with Linda that HubPages needs to increase the minimum word count for Amazon capsules, to at least 100 words per capsule.  As you know, I started a thread to suggest it.  At the moment, HubPages sends very mixed messages about Amazon - it says be sparing then allows a ridiculous number. That needs to be fixed, but it's not something they've changed thanks to Squidoo - it's been that way for ages!

If you look at my last post, I had replied to TT2's post which was a reply to:

LindaSmith1posted 22 hours ago

As to product allowance, HP has the lowest in words requirement than sites I am familiar with,  Even new ones popping up are requiring 100 if not 200 words per product.   

Another thing Squidoo did was allow product descriptions to be part off word count.  I had brought this up. Paul said they he thought that had been implemented here already, but HP was going to do that too.  So far, the word counter only counts text in text boxes. HP seems to be leaning towards doing and allowing what Squidoo did and allowed.   Until they see an income loss for the site, I don't see HP cracking down on anything including the types of pages that I know you are seeing.  At least I add content vs fluff just to bring up word count.

Yes, I read that.  Linda is looking at the Amazon change and assuming that means HubPages is going to copy Squidoo in other things. I'm just saying I think that's a big leap of logic.

It wasn't my logic.  I said IF.  I would not like to see Hp follow Squidoo's way is all I am saying. smile

I don't think anyone would disagree with that!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

Marisa:  I do not think Linda was referring to the word count inside of Amazon capsules but rather to the 50 word minimum you need to have in a capsule in order to place an ad there.

Her comment that "HP allows it" is what I was referring to when I said just because HP allows something does not mean it is responsible for all of us to do it.  That's what I was referring to when I made the comment about HP going the way of Squidoo if Linda was correct in what she said.

I'm not following.   There is no rule that says you have to have 50 words inside a capsule to have an ad there.   Your Hub, as a whole, just has to have 50 words of text per Amazon capsule - the text could be in one capsule or fifty capsules, it wouldn't matter.   So for a 400 word Hub you can have 8 products and for a 1,000 word Hub you could have 20 capsules.  Which would obviously be ridiculous - but that has nothing to do with Squidoo, it's been HubPages' rule for years.

What has changed is that HubPages is now counting any words you've typed inside the Amazon capsule itself towards the total number of words in a Hub - because that will encourage people to write  longer descriptions.   I'm not sure how that suggests HubPages is "going the way of Squidoo".

Marisa:  If what you said is correct, why is it that when I try to place three adverts beside one text capsule that I get the "overly promotional" warning!  You know all of my hubs are at least 700 to 1200 words long and some are twice that...so how can what you are saying be true? 

I rarely even have three ads on a hub, but when I do, if I try to place them all in one text capsule, I am not allowed to do it, even though the text may have 200 words.

I'd like to know why you think that is?

2. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I come across a hub that is just a product sales catalogue for Amazon I flag it and leave...don't even bother to read the content. As previously said if I want to buy from Amazon I will go to them directly. It will eventually bring down HP if it continues. Product descriptions etc should not be included in word count of the hub and 50 words per ad capsule needs to be raised to 100 at least.

Jodah:  Exactly my point.

12. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

HubPages spent their first six years encouraging people to talk about how much money they were making, and used that info to promote the site.

It was only after the first big Panda slap and the revenue death plummet that followed which brought about the pendulum swing to non-disclosure.

What a great plan!  So now people spend all their time complaining about how much money they do not make instead of telling the world about their successes!  What WERE the boys upstairs thinking??

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think the latest thing is a good idea.  Things change so quickly on the Internet (with regard to who earns what with what kind of stuff), there's a good chance any number of things out there about what earns and what doesn't is out-of-date (or about to become out-of-date).

Whether or online or off (but particularly online, maybe), there's always someone out there looking to copy, looking to try to piece together who is what making what and how they're making it, and planning to write about "how to make money" themselves.  People aren't interested in preserving your traffic and/or earnings (and/or even in pointing out that someone who writes "x type" of material can actually earn money doing so (either with high search or else high volume).

A lot has changed since so many writing sites have closed down, and a lot of writers are making their money writing in other places.  As it has become harder and harder for people to come up with some version of "acceptable quality", I think it's become more important for people to keep private their earnings (not just CPM etc.).  It can be kind of frustrating to remain silent and know that x number of people think you can't earn or else aren't earning at all from whatever kind of thing (in this case, Hub) you write; but better that than the kind of "baloney" that goes on if it gets too obvious that you actually earn whatever you earn (or could earn more if you'd do more of the same).

You can't stop people from trying to find reasons to copy your stuff, but if you can honestly be out-and-out public about the fact that you don't share what you make or how with ANYONE that can also make it pretty clear to the person showing up (and maybe thinking about stealing your stuff) that there's a good chance whatever information they got from someone else may not be accurate).

Back when I was earning my few hundred dollars a month on this site, alone, I didn't really see reason to keep that all that secret (both because a lot of people were not and because this was only one of several spare-time-writing sites for me; so I didn't see that few hundred dollars a month as "serious").

Online or off, once you figure out that since there's no way to make sure someone who is inclined toward sharing information about someone else's income/earnings is to make it very clear that you share NOTHING with ANYONE about things like earnings/income and/or any changes that happen.

You can't go around cleaning up every piece of bad information that someone else puts out there about you/your earnings (or whatever); so all you can do is a) not share anything and/or not share anything about any changes with anyone, and b) make it clear to anyone paying attention to such things that you absolutely do not share such things with anyone at all.  (Being, maybe, involved with some legal matters involving libel and/or slander, I may be particularly tuned into this type of thing; but in general, it never really serves anyone well to share their earningss/income information.)

People often assume because they're making money with one kind of writing that everybody else is automatically making money with the same kind; or that nobody else can make any money with any other kind of Hubs.  OR, they assume something that went on "x number" of years ago has not changed (and they may even assume that if anything changes everybody makes a big, public, deal about it).

Having seen what happened in the "old days" on here, I'm all for doing on here what I do in my offline life, which is share no details about anything with anyone.  Unless someone is married, it's a rare person who shares details with anyone else about money-related stuff.  With all the never-ending changes that can go on with something like online writing, and with the fact that it's a rare person who truthfully shares details about his/her own income (at least with anyone other than a spouse); why on Earth would anyone even trust some of the stuff that gets put out there about who earns what and where they earn it?  And if they want to trust what is probably one or another piece of "baloney information" then let them do so at their own risk, I suppose....

Whether it's this site (or maybe Bubblews) or any of the sites that are, or are no longer, out there these days; generally, (as with offline publications), if people aim to write whatever kind of stuff it is that the site emphasizes they'll earn some money    Keeping in mind the "eggs-in-a-basket" thing, who earns how much with what kind of stuff (and where) "just depends".  If/when sites change their emphasis then who earns what on them obviously can change.  A lot of "big earners" on any site do so through less-than-desirable ways, so using them as someone to emulate, envy and/or compete with really isn't always the wisest thing (especially since solid earners are, as has been mentioned earlier on this thread, not particularly likely to make a big deal about how much they earn where).

The one problem with Bubblews people saying how much they make may be the same problem that happened once on this site, and that was that people didn't really believe money could be made and therefore didn't take the potential for it seriously enough to know not to talk/write about it.  I don't even know at this point what's all that public on Bubblews and what isn't, but it's a whole other  kind of site anyway, so (as they say) "whatever....." as far as Bubblews goes.

13. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Whew!  That blue woke me up real quick!

14. manuallinker profile image54
    manuallinkerposted 9 years ago

I got this mail :

Dear manuallinker,

Your Hub has been cleared for publication, and published.

A link to your Hub: <link snipped>

Sincerely,

The HubPages Team

After two hours ,I got this mail :

A link to your Hub: <link snipped>

Dear manuallinker,

Heads up! It looks like your Hub is not cleared for publication because it did not pass the Quality Assessment Process. No need to fret; every new Hubber goes through Boot Camp, and all you need to do is improve the Hub so that it meets our quality standards. To graduate from Boot Camp, you must publish at least five Featured Hubs.

For some background on HubPages' Quality Assessment Process, check out this extensive overview:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Featured-Hubs

What does it take for a Hub to become Featured? Featured Hubs are thorough, detailed, and filled with high-quality, relevant media. They include concrete facts and figures, deep analysis, or thoughtful step-by-step instructions. They are grammatically sound. They appeal to a niche audience, but can impress just about anyone. They are beautiful and read more like magazine articles than personal blog entries. With a few changes, any Hub can be transformed into a work of art. Don't believe us? Take a look at what a makeover can do:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … y-of-a-Hub

Hubs that exhibit the following criteria are more likely to be Featured on HubPages:

- Complete and in-depth coverage of their subject area.
    - Attractive layouts (text broken up into multiple capsules with high-quality images and media .)
    - Easy to read text (consistent formatting that avoids excessive bolding, underlining, or italicizing text.)
    - Evergreen content (content that will stay relevant for months and years to come.)
    - Proper English grammar and spelling conventions.
    - No promotional content (e.g., spammy links, unrelated product listings, repetitive keyword emphasis, links to your personal blog or website, etc.)

Once you have published five Featured Hubs, any subsequent Hubs you publish that do not pass the QAP will remain published, but will not be Featured.  Featured Hubs are showcased on Topic Pages and Related Hubs listings. They are also made available to search engines. When you publish your fifth Featured Hub, you will also receive an Accolade demonstrating your success at publishing high-quality content on HubPages. And don't worry, after you pass Boot Camp, all of your future Hubs that are within our Terms of Service will remain published.

To maximize your chances of success on HubPages, we recommend that you carefully read through our Learning Center: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

Happy Hubbing!
    The HubPages Team

Anyone help me ??

15. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Counting descriptions in Amazon capsule is what Squidoo did.  Result:: Copied description from Amazon
                  Even less content in article itself because of being able to meet word count with copied descriptions from Amazon, etc that were put in the Amazon capsule.

So now, instead of writing real content, they can write even a shorter hub, with 99 products that have descriptions in Amazon capsules and still meet minimum word count.

HP has never done this before, but Squidoo did.  So, yes, HP is getting to be more like Squidoo.

16. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Lisa: I agree on what topics make money.  5 people can write on the same topic, while 2 do okay with earnings and the other 3 do very little if anything. 

Those who do well with certain topics usually don't reveal that information. It is like they claim that niche as theirs,  as if nobody in the world is writing in the same niche. 

One hot topic is gadgets such as iPhones, iPods, games etc.  I don't touch this one. I let everybody and his brother jump on the bandwagon while I try to hit other topics that are somewhat being left alone.

Which topic makes money is a difficult one to answer anyway because as I stated above, what works for one, may not work for another.  But one factor is to know who your audience is which can be found in Webmaster tools.  What is the age group? Where are they coming from such as do you have more from the US, or Canada, or the UK etc. Gender plays a role too, IMO.  If 75 percent of  your audience is 20 year old males, you probably won't want to be writing baby articles.

What products sell online?  Who knows! As far as I am concerned that one is like a crap shoot.  I don't know but I don't see anyone buying an engagement ring online.  I would think they would do that at a jewelry store.

17. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image67
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 9 years ago

Your advice makes sense to me. Focus on and know who your audience is, etc. Thank you for sharing this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)