Comments Ordering

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (39 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

This is a suggestion for an additional feature to the option to order comments by either oldest or most recent as first-appearing.
    The current tool is useful for hubs with many comments, as I means people do not have to scroll through 50 or more comments to read the most recent.
    However, it would be an excellent addition, if in addition to being able to put the most recent comments at the top, if doing so would also move the comment box to the top of the stack.
    Even though you can read the newest comments, it is still necessary to scroll through all of them to get to the box to type your own.  It is a small problem, I suppose, for those wishing to comment.
    However, for the author, in trying to reply to a comment, it necessitates scrolling back and forth to pick up all of the commenter's points, and reply to each.  If there are several new comments, this quickly becomes tiresome.
    Can we please let the comment-typing box 'float' along with the comment order selection? 
    Newest first = comment box at top; Oldest first = comment box at bottom (as it currently is).

Thanks for considering this idea.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you are talking about the stats page they move around according to scores, to see newest first, go to profile. Newest is top Hub.

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can order them either way. For each hub you can choose to have comments ascending, or descending

In each hub..choose to edit your comments capsule, and you will be able to set your preferences there
      You can do this in your global settings also

1. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes you can Deborah, but it doesn't make any difference to the comment box for writing a new comment. It always appears at the bottom first so you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to lleave a comment. This is ok is there are only a few comments but if it's say one of billybuc's hubs (though his have descending comments) there may be 100 comments to scroll through.

1. profile image0

I have over 800 comments on one hub and I just use the side scroll and pull it down..it takes me immediately to the comment box

1. Venkatachari M profile image87
            Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are right. There is no problem at all.

3. Venkatachari M profile image87

It doesn't matter whether the comment box is at top or bottom for your commenting purpose.. If you are to post a reply to anybody, you will simply click reply button and the box appears in front of you. If you post a fresh comment, simply scroll down which will not take any time at all. It only takes some seconds for you. So no difference whether it is at top or bottom.

4. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

how come some hubs i read have 3 comment capsules? Anyone can explain to me?

2. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I agree MsLizzy. I was thinking this myself that if the comment box was at the top as well as the newest comment Iwould change my settings to that. As it is I feel it a waste of time if people have to scroll all the way down to comment anyway. The way it is if set to have newest comment at the top it is a disincentive to bother even leaving a comment.

3. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

I just checked my hub again.
    While on my hub when I reload the page, it brings me right to the comment box

1. Jodah profile image90

Yes you are right Deborah. I checked your hubs and you have descending comments. That's not a problem especially on an old hub in which case most people want to read the most recent comments then leave their own directly under the most recent comment. I think MsLizzy's was just suggesting it would be easier, if you elected to have the latest comment at the top of comments, if the new comment box was directly above it. You can always use the side bar to scroll back and forth but we are always looking for easier and quicker ways to do things. One solution of course for the hub author is to go to your accounts page/comments and reply to all the comments there.

1. profile image0

Old hubs ? I have about 15-20 new ones
        Yes,  I understand what the other person was saying
        As I explained, you can elect to have them at the top if you wish, that's already in place
        In the meantime, I explained how to get to the box to make a comment, by the pull down scroll, and by reloading it, if you don't mind.

When you reload , it brings the comment box to you
        With the pull down scroll, it takes a second to get to the comment box, if you wish to do it that way. Or everyone can wait till they implement the suggestion.
        I personally don't feel that everything we do has to be automated, especially when it takes so little effort.

Whether your comments are ascending or descending, all the other comments can be read first, if anyone wishes to read them

4. Arachnea profile image66
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

I must be missing the meaning of the question. When I first started, I had my hubs ordered with the most recent comment at the top. Then after a few weeks I changed it so the hubs were ordered with the oldest at the top. The click string to do so is: Hubs Tab-->Comments-->Global Settings. If you're talking about the settings for hubs other than your own, the setting is driven by the hub writer.

1. Jodah profile image90

I'll leave it to DzyMsLizzy to answer this. My comments are just upsetting people unintentionally.

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

I would like to see the "Leave a Comment" box right up at the top, regardless of whether the comments are ascending or descending. Sometimes, I like to read all the comments and sometimes I don't.

On some hubs, there is an option to "Go to Last Comment", which takes you to the bottom where the comment box is.

1. Jodah profile image90

I agree Phyllis, that was what DzyMsLizzy was suggesting and I seconded, but it seems others are having trouble with the original suggestion. Does the "go to last comment" option only appear on a hub that has a lot of comments? I know it isn't on all hubs.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
        Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know why the "go to last comment" does not appear on all hubs, Jodah. I see it on hubs with over 100 and on hubs with less than 10 comments. I am really curious why it does not always show up.

2. profile image0

I don't have a problem with the question, please stop generalizing, I was simply explaining the FACTS

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, thank you, Phyllis Doyle, that is what I was saying.  Have the box where you type in the comment appear at the top.  And I agree with your additional suggestion of having it appear there, anyway, regardless of the order of the comments themselves.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
        Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It does seem like the most sensible thing to me, Ms Lizzy.  Thank you for bringing up this topic. I hate scrolling all the way to the bottom on hubs that have so many comments.

6. Arachnea profile image66
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

I see. I originally answered from the feed page and the post was truncated. You do have a point, DzyMsLizzy. Though I'm okay with scrolling through the messages to get to the comment box, I can see where others may not wish to. By scrolling through the comments on any post, I am able to get an idea of what's been said recently and tailor my response as such. I don't always scan the comments though on the way down.

1. profile image0

And as I explained, you don't have to scroll through them all. All you do is either reload page, and the comment box will come to you, or grab the pull down scroll to the right of your computer
      I have over 800 comments on one hub, but I can instantly get to the box.
      I can't post a link to my hub here, but my hub about Paul and the number 666 which is spotlighted, is the one with over 800 comments,
      Try pulling down the side scroll, and see how fast it is

1. Venkatachari M profile image87

Why? We have the option to go to the last comment immediately by clicking the button when you reach the comments section. You can use this button. But some of us may like to see what others have commented before commenting.
        As an author, the author may like to have his preference. But, one must view from both points- as an author and also as a viewer. So, as far as I think, the present one is good for all community.

1. profile image0

That's what I am saying. It's already easy to do, so why do we need it automated ?
          The examples I gave are just as easy as yours, which is a third way
          Thanks for suggesting it

I just checked, and there is no such button that appears on my pages.  I don't know if that has to do with the browser, or what, but I don't have a 'go to bottom' button.

1. Jodah profile image90

That button only seems to appear on some hubs and not others MsLizzy. No idea why.

2. agvulpes profile image86
            agvulpesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet:
            I have a function on my 'mouse' that if I 'click' on the Scroll Wheel a directional arrow button appears!
            You then just move the Mouse in the direction you want to scroll. Up Down or Sideways!
            The further away from the button you move the mouse the faster the Screen moves!
            It takes a bit of getting used to but it is great for faster scrolling! and you don't get RSI in your fingers moving the Scroll wheel smile

1. profile image0

It's not on my mouse, but after I updated Firefox, I found this

Interesting.  I just tried that, and it did work.  I had no idea the scroll wheel could be 'clicked.'  Thanks, agvulpes!

3. Jodah profile image90

Good advice for those using a pc, but for those of us with just a laptop/notebook or tablet that's not an option.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

I cannot STAND those "mouse pads" on laptops!!  They drive me nuts.  I got a USB mouse for our laptop.

1. agvulpes profile image86
                  agvulpesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you on that smile  Have you tried the 'wireless' mouse they work a treat smile

7. Marie Flint profile image73
    Marie Flintposted 9 years ago

You can also hit END PAGE to get to the bottom of comments, if you have such a key on your computer or laptop.

8. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

YES! Please move the comment box to the top when they are set to newest first.

Why?
    1. Many readers may not be prepared to read or scroll through 200 comments before leaving a comment so they don't bother.
    2. When I want to reply to the latest comment, by the time I get to the bottom of the page I have forgotten their name and what the comment was in detail. So I often have to use notepad to copy the reader's name plus the entire comment before writing my reply way down at the bottom of the page.

Putting the comments box at the top, above the last comment would encourage more comments and make replying much easier.

1. Jodah profile image90

Thumbs up Sue.

2. profile image0

People want a “go to last comment” button, and by the time you do that, you could have just as easily used the ways, I listed here

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/126966#post2679480

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/126966#post2679482

It couldn’t get any easier than it already is

IF people are using their mouse wheel to scroll, it will take a minute, but not if you use the pull down scroll

1. Sue Adams profile image96
        Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are 2 possible settings for the comments capsule:

(1) to have the comments listed with the most recent comment at the bottom, which is the default setting. This thread is not about this first option. This thread has nothing to do with scrolling down to the most recent comment at the bottom of the list . It is about the 2nd option which is:
        2) to have the comments listed with the most recent comment at the top of the comments list.

Most prominent hubbers have chosen the second option (most recent comment at the top).
        Lizzy, and many of us who have set our comments capsule to this second option are asking for the comments box to also be placed at the top  for the reasons given earlier which are: Putting the comments capsule at the top, above the most recent comment (which is at the top) would encourage more comments, more discussion, and make replying to comments far less inconvenient.

To find out how to change your comments settings for the most recent comments to show at the top, go to:
        My Account
        Comments
        scroll down to
        "Display most recent comments first"
        Save

1. profile image0

We've established that already in our previous comments

9. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

Here is a reference to a two-year old response from staff on the same issue.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99652#post2133908

The question is, have HP staff seen this forum thread and is the answer still the same as 2 years ago?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)