How To Receive More Comments From Readers?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (59 posts)
  1. GoogleCashMoney profile image57
    GoogleCashMoneyposted 15 years ago

Dear Hubbers,

I have publish around 11 Hubs and my Hublinks are as follows:

<snipped link>

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

<snippety snip>

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

<snip--DO NOT START POSTS FOR THE PURPOSE OF LINKING>

I have  receive lots of traffic to my above Hubs but not receiving more comments from my readers. Anyone from Top Hubbers will help me to find the reason behind it?

regards,

GoogleCashMoney smile big_smile

2. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Posting links to all of your hubs here is kind of bad form, but I'll answer your question anyway:

If you want people to comment more, there's nothing wrong with posting a line at the bottom of your hub asking people's opinions to be put in the comment box.

GoogleCashMoneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

G/G, Thanks for you comments.

2. GoogleCashMoney profile image57

G/G, Is there any rule on HubPages -  when you receive more comments, you will score more points. I see Most of the Tob Hubbers receive more and more comments for their every hub.

1. weblog profile image58
        weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think there's no such rule. But, you can understand naturally a hub gets more attention when the comments section grows up. More visitors.... more comments.... more attention (if in hot & best sections) and hence you get more traffic smile

I guess, If we can come to near and achieve Top 10 ranking in Hot and Best section then our chances are better than any other Hubber to stay on the Top because all the new and existing reader always read and give more comments to Top Hubbers. Whoever wants to break their monopoly will have to put lods and lods effort (including Writing and promotion). Let me tell you something I have few Hubber in my mind they are trying to come to Top. I am watching them regularly. Right now my reserch is going on. If I will sucess in my reserch then I will surely publish my finding to other people who wish  to become Tob Hubber.

1. laringo profile image61
            laringoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I like Hubpages and enjoying writing Hubs, but I am getting frustrated because I have observed, and my score,although in the 90's (highest 96),after a short time drops.  The top 10 to 20 Hubbers who are always the same get the most traffic, comments, and fans when a non-member comes to Hubpages,then enventually joins. I work hard on my Hubs and take my time to produce good ones and I want to get more traffic but it feels as though I am climbing a steep hill. How are Hubs submitted to sites for increased viewing?

1. AEvans profile image70
              AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Laringo, Don't get frustrated as I go through the same thing , I believe if I keep pushing I will hit that 99-100 mark. If they are new read there articles as there are many who have wonderful ones and become there fan. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Laringo, why worry?   The traffic you would get from being featured in the top 10 Hubbers is negligible.

Very few people coming to HubPages arrive on the front page, where the top Hubbers are featured.  They arrive at a particular Hub, which they've found on Google or some other search engine - and the search engines don't pick Hubs according to their HubScore!

I know it feels good to have a high HubScore and it's a buzz to reach 100 (which I did for, like, 5 seconds once).  It's also a self-esteem boost to have fans and receive supportive comments.  But it's not necessarily indicative of high readership or high earnings outside the HubPages community.

1. laringo profile image61
                laringoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I hear where you're coming from but I publish frequently and I know that to reach that pinnacle,you have to be know and unfortunately I found Hubpages not by a particular Hub but from the main site URL. Even when someone joins Hubpages through a solicitation, the Hot Hubs,Hubbers,etc. are displayed first. Thanks for your feedback and I'll keep trying because I just have that competative nature within myself and not any fellow Hubbers.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Not necessarily.  When I post a link to HubPages, I either send people to a specific Hub or to my profile.  I'm sure that's what a lot of Hubbers do.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps they are writing hubs that are remarkable?

Yes Mark. You are right because they are on the Top of the Best and Hot Hub list, so they receive more and more traffic from existing Hubbers and  new commers. I guess this is the only reason they are on Top of the HubList withouth much current efforts. I know they had publish very good articles in the past but just because of that they get all traffic from. This is  not fair to others. Most of the Hubber get attention only when they publish any hub or they receive some comments from other hubber.

I am trying to find few more ways to reach Top of the list that will help other hubber to gain Top ranking on the HubPages. If you have any suggestion then please share with us. After all you are also on the Top Hub Position (No Offence)

1. Whitney05 profile image81
            Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

The longer you're here, the more you write, and the more you participate in the overall workings of the website (forums, commenting on other hubs, requests, ect) the higher your score typically is.

You can't really expect a high score over night. Work on high content hubs and getting more traffic to your hubs. The more traffic, typically the more comments. Also, like Charlotte said, ask people at the bottom right above the comment box to leave a comment. You can try asking a question at the end of the hub or in the title of the comment box capsule. Write hubs on controversial topics to raise a debate; just make sure that the debate is kept under control. Write advice hubs, as people are bound to ask you a question on the topic in terms of their life or whatnot.

You don't necessarily get more points for comments, but the number of comments on your hubs is factored into the overall score.

2. ProCW profile image79
            ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I hate playing devil's advocate, but... Mark has a little (eensy-weensy) point.

What I've learned (so far) is to keep improving your hubs. You've only been here for a short while (just like me.) Add more and more relative and quality content (including videos and pictures.)

It seems that your fan base is growing very rapidly. So you're on the right track. Don't get discouraged by negative comments. Understand and learn from them - even play along with them. Don't get jealous of them. We all have different expertise, writing styles and target audiences. Promote what you write to the right people and soon you'll be up there with them.

Artistically,

ProCW

PS. Once upon a time, there was a big, bad theatre director. He was VERY negative to everyone (even the audience.) He was a brilliant man (relative to theatre.) He struggled daily trying to get his actors to do what he wanted. He, so desperately, tried to convey all of his knowledge to his actors. He got through to some of them. One day he retired. The next day I took his place.

The End. Get anything from that? big_smile

Pro You are right but my point is top hubbers get much attention to their hub very easily because of their position. I know very well about their quality work but my point is about hub traffic. They get most of the traffic from HubPlatform without much promoting their hub. Hub Pages, itself promot their hubs.

I dont think Isabella Snow will retire. She will be on the Top List forever (LOL) she got so much fire power to keep herself on the Top.

1. ProCW profile image79
                  ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark retired! big_smile haha

ProCW

Yes. Correction : Exclude Mark LOL.

2. embitca profile image84
              embitcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yep, there's no reason to feel competitive, especially since the high hub scores are really only meaningful within Hubpages. Search engine traffic is not going to notice or pay attention to the scoring.   There is some internal linking juice that comes with having high scores, but I don't think it is as significant as the internal linking juice that would come from publishing a lot more hubs.

Writing good content and publishing frequently is really the key... unless you are Misha then you only have to write a hub every six months or so big_smile

Also, like Mark, the majority of my traffic and the comments left in my hubs come from search engines, not Hubpages.

Thanks Embi. I will try to bring outside traffice to my Hubs.

GCM:

I was not telling about keywords. Mark has his own blogs and I found his HP profile page while I was searching for something else in google, may be it was just a coincedence.

If you want your profile page to be popular, you can post it to sites like mixx, digg or some other social discussion forums. I mean, not bookmarking...those sites allow you to place your site's link in your profile there, so you can put your HP profile page url there, Got it?

You can track the traffic source using google analytics. I also get some traffic for my profile page from external sources as told above.

- Siddhu smile

2. AEvans profile image70
                  AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The same for me ::::big_smile I just have fun doing what my passion is and that is simply writing and reading. smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No offence taken. smile

Well, I have a few ideas, but if you think the way hubscore works is unfair to new hubbers, I suggest you take that up with team@hubpages.com

Personally, it took me some time before I became one of the "top hubbers" and if you are looking for an instant solution, I can't help. I wasn't trying to do this.

As far as I understand it, the individual hubscore has very little to do with the writers personal score.

I have looked at your hubs, and the only advice I can offer is to write more relevant information for English speakers. Your Ambani brothers hub for instance. Most American, English and Australian readers (My guesstimate of the most traffic from countries) will not have heard of them. Quite apart from the fact that this is very old news, who is going to comment on something they have not heard of?

If any English speaker has heard of Mukesh Ambani, they will know he is building an extremely expensive house in Mumbai. Apart from that - nothing. Not that his daddy left him a lot of money or that he argued with his brother for a while. No offence.

Not remarkable to most of us. The only reason I know about him is because I have written about his exploits.

Thanks Mark for your suggestion.

3. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Keep responding for every comment, I hope that helps. I think you can refer to the hubs by SweetiePie, Amy Jane and some great authors to see how they keep in touch with the comments section. You may get some idea there smile

Thanks WebLog. I will follow your suggestion in the future.

4. weblog profile image58

GoogleCashMoney:

I'll tell you something. I wonder, you've got more than 100 fans in just 2 weeks of hubbing. I know, mostly everybody thinks simply adding on fans will help in some way.

But, tell me...if every hubber in your fanclub is reading your hubs and posting comments, Won't you be having around 100 comments in every hub? Atleast, say 25 smile That is the point, I never find something good in meaningless addition of fans.

They don't admire you, they simply want you to replicate. Some of them leave your fan club if you don't join their club...Have you seen?

This is just my opinion. Don't get offended

- Siddhu smile

Weblog you are right with the numbers but that increases the traffic to my hubbers very sharply. I am following same steps which are following by few of my collegues. I don't want to disclose their name here.  Just wait for few more days. I am doing few reserch on myself and few other hubbers. I am following few hubbers regularly and their day to day activity on the hub. If my reserch get some finding then surely I will share with you all.

Yes, I think I know the fellow hubbers you mean.

I told it from my experience. Fans are just numbers, I feel. I have seen only few of my fans(hubbers) post comments in my hubs in regular basis. You may carry on with your research.

All the best.

- Siddhu smile

5. Dottie1 profile image61
    Dottie1posted 15 years ago

GoogleCashMoney, try not to compare yourself with others.  The top hubbers here have earned top spot.  They deserve it.  Concentrate on your work and your work only and you'll get there too one day.

6. weblog profile image58

Marisa is Right. As long as you are in HP, you need not worry about SEO (Search Engine Optimization) because HP team works better than us in bringing our hubs in better search engine rankings if our hubs are worth it.

Try promoting your hubs, if you have time to do that it's worth to get lots of traffic from sources other than HP.

- Siddhu smile

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Correct.

7. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

googlecashmoney -

Some people disagree with what I wrote here, but it is true:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-I-got-my-hu … first-page

8. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

Dear googlecashmoney, I am following your threads regularly and I got an impression that you are very much concerned with your hub and hubber score. I'll advise you to concentrate first on your content and try to regularly update your content. You may also think of assigning an attractive title to your hubs. You might have noticed that some of the hubbers have more than 90 hubber score but have only published less than 10 hubs. Instead of wasting your time here, visit hubs of some of the good hubbers that will help you lot to improve your hubscore and hubber score as well. hope you will take it as elderly advice and not mind it as personal comments.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Excellent advice!   

It does seem as though a lot of new Hubbers are fretting about getting fans and comments and increasing Hubscore.  Those things will happen naturally if you just concentrate on writing good Hubs and give it time. You'll notice that the Hubbers with high scores and lots of fans have been here for many months.  Be patient!

9. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Great Discussion. I am Learning.

10. Trsmd profile image57
    Trsmdposted 15 years ago

I was inactive for a fortnight..
    My score came down from 85 to 70..

again I am active here.. now my score is climbing to 80...

Same Here Trsmd. I was inactive yesterday and my score came down to 78. I really dont understand this concept.

1. Inspirepub profile image73
        Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The idea is to make sure that spammers don't get any benefit from flying in, dropping a Hub or two, and flying out again.

Their scores will quickly sink below 75 and their links will have "no follow" applied.

Jenny

Hey Jenny,

Check Trsmd profile. It is not one or two hubs. Trsmd had publish more than 150+ hubs

1. Inspirepub profile image73
            Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The rule was made to stop spammers from abusing HubPages, but it applies to everyone, regardless of how many Hubs they have.

If you are not active on the site, ie rating Hubs, commenting, posting in forums, or making new Hubs, your score WILL eventually drop to below 75.

The higher it is to begin with, and the more traffic you are getting to your Hubs, and possibly the longer you have been Hubbing, the longer it will take to fall below 75.

I guess it may theoretically be possible if you have heaps of traffic to go inactive and stay above 75 - I am not sure exactly what HubPages parameters are - but basically you should work on the assumption that to keep your score over 75 you have to stay active at HubPages in some way.

Jenny

11. Eileen Hughes profile image61
    Eileen Hughesposted 15 years ago

Gee now that means I will definitely go way down.  As I will be on the road for the next 12 months.  So will not be able to access the internet very much.
    I will try to compile articles while offline, but still going to be a bit difficult accessing things from internet cafes in regards to finding bits and pieces online like photos and uploading  etc etc.

Oh well I will do my best and see what happens.  Thanks everyone

12. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Eileen with your score you probably could not access hubpages for a month and it would only drop a point or.  Just  find a telecentre every week or 2: post on the forums do some comments that should keep u in the 90's I should think

13. Eileen Hughes profile image61
    Eileen Hughesposted 15 years ago

Lissie, thanks for that I will try.  I am not going until the 1st august.  So will have to try and get a few more written before.  Still trying to get to my first $100.  Not far to go so here's hoping.
    Thanks.

14. RGraf profile image89
    RGrafposted 15 years ago

I'm actually looking at more as a game and a challenge.  I watch my scores moving up and down.  When one begins to drop below my imaginary line, I go in and tweak it or add something.  It's amazing how that changes it.  I guess you could say that I'm researching it.  I found that once I hit on a topic that was hot at that moment, it brought others to my site.  I don't fret over my scores.  My husband would argue only because I'm "playing" at getting higher.  I'm just having fun doing this and trying to get better at my rusty writing skills.

15. mhei profile image58
    mheiposted 15 years ago

patience is a virtue big_smile

16. gjcody profile image66
    gjcodyposted 15 years ago

Just a small note ....I have been here for a while and it is very necessary to keep in here as often as you can and post to all of the sections as often as you can ..it a community and just think of it as a real community ..do what you can for the people and they will eventually get to know you too and help you.  Be honest and sincere ..it does work!  But most of all have fun!!

1. mhei profile image58
      mheiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

that's true. have fun and dont be alarmed if you are not getting a lot of comments or your hub score isn't as good as the others.it will get there in time smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)