Traffic Change Late Sept-Early Oct - Amazon and eBay Win - Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. CelebrateUSA profile image76
    CelebrateUSAposted 9 years ago

I pulled a couple of traffic graphs out on Alexa and found these observations:

HubPages traffic dropped dramatically
    Builddirect stayed steady
    Wayfair.com increased dramatically
    eBay.com increased dramatically
    Blogger.com dropped dramatically
    HuffingtonPost.com dropped dramatically
    LinkedIn.com dropped dramatically
    Facebook stayed steady at a solid #2
    Mozilla.com and Mozilla.org dropped dramatically
    Invaluable.com
    Bubblews.com dropped dramatically
    Foursquare.com dropped dramatically
    Huffingtonpost.com dropped dramatically
    Twitter.com moderate drop
    Target.com dramatic increase (and WalMart, etc...)

When I say dramatic, I mean massive. So it appears, Google is actively promoting commerce sites and actively ignoring social sites or sites with content.

So what did I miss? Where is the news about this massive shift?

1. Easy Exercise profile image84
      Easy Exerciseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

TimeTraveler2 posted a great graph that showcases his dramatic traffic change. Kudos is owed to him for first noting this major change.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Have you been living under a rock?   Panda 4.1 hit on 23rd September.

CelebrateUSAposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are correct! lol!

2. Easy Exercise profile image84
        Easy Exerciseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, life out on the internet was interrupted by multiple traumas from cars to computers to Mayo Clinic and more. Yes! way, way under a rock! Sorry!

3. SpaceShanty profile image94
      SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how this will change things but it is worth considering...

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/01/firefo … ch-engine/

I wondered what was happening with Mozilla - fascinating. Yes, it is a consideration. Google is the giant but Yahoo and Mozilla count too (at least in my book). Thank you!

4. Don Bobbitt profile image84
      Don Bobbittposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OK, without any intent to hurt anyone's feelings, if you care about such numbers and statistics then please clm down and accept the fact;
      WE WORK FOR THE MAN!
      The MAN is GOOGLE!
      GOOGLE is a business that is SO GOOD that their stock price is consistently OVER $550 per hare.
      Then this indicates the world considers what Google is doing as being a great thing.
      We are WRITERS who, even though we profess to be above all of this crass monetary stuff, really do want someone, anyone, to recognize our genius and make us millionaires.
      And, if not millionaires, then give us enough money to pay some of our bills?
      Right?

I will restate the simple facts for you;
      They are the Boss. In fact the BIG BOSS.
      We are Writers. We want the boss to pay us more.
      My suggestions are;
      1- write your Creative stuff on a Creative Writing site.
      2- write your Instructive and Informative stuff on HP and other such commercialized sites.
      I love HP, but at the same time,I am  realist!
      There is an old business quote: "Give your customer what they want, and they will beat a path to your Door!"
      Be a winner and play the game an quit letting the game play you!
      DON

1. fpherj48 profile image59
        fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don....Oh how I love a realist.....a tell-it-like-it-is-kind of person. And you did it very nicely and without hurting feelings..(at least not mine)  Every word you said is simple fact. My Dad liked to say, "Hate it or love it...He who holds the Jewels, makes the RULES. If you like jewels follow the rules....or keep swimming upstream...see if anyone cares." 
        I have not ever made a lot of money here, but I'm well aware of WHY. Therefore, I don't gripe about my earnings (but they do make me laugh) and I don't check on traffic, views or stats in general.
        On the other hand, should I decide to get SERIOUS here, I can read and I CAN follow rules when I choose.  I understand fully what Google wants.  It can't possibly be repeated more often or more clearly than it has been thousands of times.
        Every SINGLE day there are at least 30 questions and as many complaints and all the WHY & WHAT & HOW MUCH and this is dropping and that is changing.   REALLY?  "Hello, welcome to the world 2014"....I would LOVE to know where some of these folks have worked in their lifetime....if in fact they are writing here as their WORK.
        When I lived in Ohio, I worked for this man who was ALL BUSINESS (and also likeable) I got  along with him fine.  Every day he would crack me up with some comment to his employees......The one I remember best is when someone would ask, "Can I have my break now?".......My boss would say." I gave you a Break when I hired you!"......then he would walk past my office and wink at me.  I would have to tell the employee...."He's kidding, he's kidding!"   The thing is, he had everyone always on the ball. 
        Your message is great, Don....in one sentence you said:  "Be a winner, not a whiner!"

1. Don Bobbitt profile image84

A - MEN! And add the point that; Hell, If it was easy then everyone could do it!
          Then Google would go Broke along with HP. How many of us would be happy with that?
          LOL!
          Don

2. CelebrateUSA profile image76

@Don Bobbitt - love your perspective - and yes, I had forgotten the stock price - needed that reality check! And when I purchased I gasped at $295!
          @fphjerj48 - I have never heard the phrase "He who holds the Jewels, makes the RULES" - very concise and very wise! And be a winner not a whiner - classic choice of words - kudos!

Thank you very much for adding much needed insight!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

How about this one from "Call of the Wild"..."A man with a club is a lawgiver".

2. SusanSaies profile image61
        SusanSaiesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don, do you or anyone else know how to effectively "play the game" according to the desires of Google???

If I just knew what to do, I would try hard to do it.

1. Don Bobbitt profile image84

Susan, Personally, I write my more creative stuff on another personal Blog. and I will pull a few over for 3-6 months to share and hopefully comment on with my fellow readers/writers.
          And, I write more informative articles on HP that provide information on my personally selected subjects that I can help others with;
          1- RV and Camping - I've been doing this off and on my whole life.
          2- Retro-Survivalist Aids - How to go back to more natural health management.
          3- Foods - Cooking and Recipes and advantages of Herbs and Essential Oils.
          4 - PERSONAL RANTS - I love to complain about the idiots that run our government.

And, I follow the latest HP directives and rules in my article structure.

Also, I now have 7 books published on Amazon that i am usually too lazy to market.

With all of this, I read a lot of good stuff and usually make enough to money to got to dinner a couple of times a month? What could be better than that?

DON

1. SusanSaies profile image61
            SusanSaiesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What could be better than that would actually be paying off a few major bills per month; not just dinner out a couple of times!

Anyway, thanks so much for your very interesting reply.

3. tlcs profile image62
        tlcsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here, here!

5. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Notice the sites that have increased in traffic. It's the holiday season and people are looking for things to buy. I just bought 4 items on eBay and looking to purchase 4 more including my wedding rings. I also am looking to buy on Amazon. So, I don't think Google has to promote these sites, people are actively shopping online.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

The big corps are paying Google while the little guys are not is one opinion.  I also heard on the news that Google is stockpiling an information data base, and soon the search engines will be filled with their content.  It is all about filling the pockets of Google.

1. aerospacefan profile image83
      aerospacefanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if they are doing changes again to algos?

Great question...
        I would imagine - all things lead back to ROI - remember the managers are also stockholders and at $550 as Don has detailed, the investment dollars must pay!

2. CelebrateUSA profile image76

LindaSmith1
      Fascinating.

Aerospacefan - good question! Just moments ago I heard there were significant adjustments. It sounded as if they hit good content too hard - or at least that is my biased take on the sound bite.

3. profile image0
    M L Morganposted 9 years ago

Just saw this, it's old but it might help smile
    http://graywolfseo.com/google/google-steal-traffic/

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is pretty chilling!

4. micko27 profile image66
    micko27posted 9 years ago

It's all true about Google but they just do what everyone else does. Trying to make as much money as they can. You will try to sell your old car for $5000 even if it is worth $3000.

So we are all the same boat, trying to get the most out of what we have. Google controls a lot and trying to get maximum of it.

Like Don Bobbitt in this thread said: "Be a winner and play the game an quit letting the game play you!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)