Awful quality of hubs that show up in my feed

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (65 posts)
  1. Shades-of-truth profile image81
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

I am not positive that this is the proper place to ask my question. If not, would someone from the HP team please move it to its proper "slot"?

When I signed in this morning, I took a few moments to look at some of the hubs that showed up in my feed. I rarely do that, but thought it might prove interesting.

I would imagine that the hubs are featured, or I would not be able to see them. A couple of them were awful. They were empty of any informative content, lacked any elements other than one photo and a few paragraphs, used inappropriate language, and were very poorly written.

After reporting them, I decided to ask the HP Community why those hubs were published at all?

If articles have to pass through a quality assessment, how could the ones that I am referring to, have made it?

So many excellent writers here strive to provide exceptional content, and agonize over getting featured - yet - the hubs I viewed this morning would not have passed a 4th grader's quality assessment. I do not understand.

Any ideas?

1. frantisek78 profile image80
      frantisek78posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You should just skim past the ones that you aren't interested in. It's just like a magazine or newspaper, some articles are "interesting" to an individual and others aren't. It is personal taste. Just because you find some Hubs sub-par does not mean that everyone else does too.

Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

frantisek78,
        This was not an issue of whether it interested me or not. It was a matter of quality and content. I would not criticize an article simply because I was not interested, or because it was not written as I might have written it.

The ones I referred to, were atrocious. I do not believe any of the seasoned writers here would disagree. I am not a "seasoned writer" here on HP, but have been online writing for many years. I often use pseudonyms in the online arena, too, for privacy. Frequently, I serve as an editor for others. Hence, I am really not concerned about whether the hubs in the feed were "interesting"; my concern was purely about the existence of them here on HP.

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, this morning I just had several very bad articles come up in my newsfeed, though from the same user; spun or badly translated for sure. In a way, I think it's good because it gave me a chance to report it so we can keep the bad stuff off the site.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

The feed includes all hubs that have been published by Hubbers you are following and about topics you are following. They haven't gone through the QAP yet.  I routinely find hubs on my feed that I report to the moderators for a closer look, and most of them do get unpublished.

Thank you, Millionaire Tips! The clarification helps.

However, the ones that I saw had nothing to do with any topic I am following, nor were they written by a Hubber I am following, so I am still a bit confused.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that they also add hubs in the feed about topics that they think you might be interested in, say if you read a hub about a particular topic a certain number of times (maybe even once), they may give you more on that topic.

Thanks, MT. I don't think that is it, though, as I had "zero" interest in the topics. Hm....

2. MelRootsNWrites profile image91
        MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Were they shared by a hubber that you are following?  I get some odd hubs in my feed this way.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
          Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you've solved the problem. I'd completely forgotten about the share button.

That is interesting. I thought it could be from the share button, but I didn't think anyone would share a bad quality hub.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image81

MelRootsWrites, Apologies for the delayed reply; I had customers to wait on.

No, they were not shared by anyone. I just double-checked. They were simply in my feed.

Millionaire Tips - True, and I highly doubt anyone would share those hubs.

You can tell which of those you follow has shared a hub that is not their own? I had no idea.

Yes, right underneath the title. It says who wrote the hub and who shared it.

Thanks, MT. I've never noticed - or those I follow don't share very often.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The 'share button' is a likely culprit.  Some (very sweet) members on this site share many, many hubs each week.  I've started unfollowing people who spam my feed with three or more 'shares' every day.  I know there's some sort of friendship reciprocity going on, but my guess is that this helps lowers HP's stock with Google.

Sharing hubs creates incestuous traffic, and it's not the type of traffic that will improve rankings in Google searches.

1. NateB11 profile image89

I've had the same feelings and thoughts about this sort of spam sharing that happens.

3. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I end up reporting 95% of the hubs I see on my feed when I sign in each day. As far as I can tell, all hubs on my feed are by authors I follow, or are categorized in topics I follow.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Question - how many of those you report get unpublished?  I log onto the 'latest' feed sometimes, and based on the weekly reports we get, I don't think that many of the ones I report are deleted.  They definitely violate TOS or quality standards.

Good question. Historically, 11% of my reports result in moderation according to 'HubPages Weekly'. Not a lot!

Marcy,

I think it depends on what types of hubs that are reported.  I only report hubs that clearly violate the terms, i.e. over-promotional, spun, wrong language, etc..  Others may report more hubs that are suspect.  According to my weekly report, most, if not all, of them have been unpublished, for example, I have reported 10 hubs and 9 have been unpublished. 

The percentage number, however, hovers around 47-50%. I believe this is an error, since the very first report started at that low number, and my stats should go up much more since most of the reported hubs are unpublished.

I don't generally report quality problems since QAP takes care of those, and those tend to be unfeatured and not unpublished.

2. SmartAndFun profile image93
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I see lots of bad hubs on my feed, too. Most of the notices on my feed are irrelevant, so I don't go to that page much, unless I feel like hub hopping, which is what I mainly use the feed for (I don't use the actual hub hopper). My advice for those who see poor quality hubs in their feed is to report them and keep calm with the knowledge that hubs hit the feed immediately after the writer hits the "publish" button. They have not yet been assessed for quality.

I find that by default I am subscribed to lots of topics I am not that interested in. For example, I love dogs, but in order to get notices on that topic, I am apparently subscribed to the general topic "animals." I get tons of emails enthusiastically telling me "a new hub has been published on the topic European Birds!"  Apparently there is a hubber here who publishes an article on that topic just about every day. (Nothing against this writer -- in fact more power to them.) I tried to unsubscribe from "European Birds" as well as snakes, farm animals, etc., but as far as I could see, I had to unsubscribe from all animal-related topics, so I just left it as-is. No big deal. It takes less than one second to delete an email.

The other day, I had to laugh when I got an email that said "A new forum thread has just been started in the topic Male Genital Issues!"  I guess I am subscribed to the general topic "health?" That exclamation point always makes me laugh, and I found it especially funny in this case.

Sorry this is so wordy; I've had lots of coffee this morning

4. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

From HubPages' FAQ section:

The Feed shows activity by Hubbers, Hubs, Topics, Questions, and Forum threads that you follow.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubtivity

I see that, Jayne, but honestly - unless I am missing something - I do not follow the Hubbers, Hubs, topics, questions, or forum threads related to the hubs to which my original post was related.

In retrospect, I am glad they showed up, as it gave me the opportunity to view them. They were truly awful, but it was an experience!

5. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

I wonder if HP has the feed algorithm set up to show something/anything during those times when nothing of interest to that particular hubber is currently being published or discussed?

6. profile image0
    moviesreviewsposted 9 years ago

I am surprised people critique people's writing skills so hard. We all have different writing skills and last time I checked there are not many Danielle Steele authors within hubpages. If so they would not be writing here.

Obviously some hubs are just horrendous but within my outlook on writers this is rare because others that may seem horrible are actually not horrible. It just lacks the school way of grammar, punction etc but it does not mean the meaning/research behind the article has no substance.

Sometimes the article may need a second or third look and you will find it might be one of the best pieces you ever read. Or you can do what I do when I find something uninteresting... just ignore it.

"... there are not many Danielle Steele authors within hubpages. If so they would not be writing here." This is nothing more than an excuse to publish exactly that which is bringing the site down - substandard hubs.

And for as long as there is a report button, I will report every substandard hub I encounter.

1. profile image0
        moviesreviewsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think your missing my point.

I report all hubs with bad "punction".  If someone has something of substance to say, he or she need to be able to communicate it clearly with proper grammar.

1. profile image0

Again I think your missing my point

3. Shades-of-truth profile image81

moviesreviews, we all want HubPages to succeed, as a venue for people to create content with substance. If we help to monitor the site ourselves, it will take a load off of the HP team's shoulders.

In addition, those of us who strive to use proper grammar and punctuation, wish for our readers to view articles here written by others, that are credible.

In my opinion, it drags down the credibility of HP as a writing site, to have sub-quality articles here as a representation of the site as a whole.

1. profile image0

I am not disagreeing with what you do. All I am saying is if you re-read certain folks pages even with bad grammar, it may be better than pages with better grammar.

The problem with the English language is all the rules. Many slaves used to speak in what would be called bad grammar but they were able to read and understand each other fine.

I was not trying to start anything except to let people know that maybe people could write in better grammar but leave it like that on purpose.

7. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

Moviesreviews, I don't think the OP is saying she reports hubs that are uninteresting to her. I think she is tired seeing just plain terrible writing in her feed, and is wondering why those articles are there in the first place, because the articles are on subjects that she is not following, and by authors she is not following. I think she is wondering why those hubs are turning up in her feed to begin with.

SmartAndFun, thank you - that is exactly what I meant.

On the other hand, having them appear gave me the opportunity to use the report button, rather than "Hub Hop".

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

We always try and put content in the feed and yes, hubs show in the feed before they pass the qap. We are getting pretty good at unfeaturing/unpublishing lousy hubs, but it can take a day or so.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
      Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Any particular useful reason for putting hubs into feed before QAP? Seems to me a waste of people's time reading and reporting.

9. firstcookbooklady profile image85
    firstcookbookladyposted 9 years ago

punction? Are you making a joke or did you really mean to write punctuation? And, he or she 'needs' to be able to communicate it clearly.

The "punction" spelling was from the preceding post. You're right, it should be "needs". 

The point I am making is not that we should be reporting everything that isn't perfect.  Humans will make errors.  But if a hub is rife with errors to a point that it makes it hard to understand the substance of the hub, then it needs to be reported.

1. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1
        "Humans will make errors."

MT, that is correct. The hubs were not only rife with errors, there was no substance to them at all, and the language was inappropriate, "to boot".

2. profile image0

Why do you say they must speak clearly? Why not just ignore it all together. Why say" they must use correct grammar, or they must do this, or it must be like that?" Why not just ignore the bad grammar posts.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
        Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Now you are missing the point:
        Bad hubs bring down the whole site. That is why they must not be ignored but must be reported.

+1!

10. Robert Sacchi profile image85
    Robert Sacchiposted 9 years ago

You can do something to help the situation by chosing the option to rate the new Hubs.  I know it's not much but it is something positive.  Keep in mind for many of the Hub authors English isn't their primary language.  Other than that keep in mind there is alot out there and many of them are very good.

Robert, I agree. However, in this case, English obviously is their primary language.

11. Aneegma profile image71
    Aneegmaposted 9 years ago

I was just about to publish my next hub then I came across this! Now I'm frightened and going through spell check and grammar like crazy! hmm

Oh, Aneegma, I am glad you are here. I was not referring to you, or your hubs. Rest easy, my dear!

12. paradigm search profile image53
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

This is a former hub of mine that I'm thinking of republishing and submitting for Editors Choice. Comments?

I Like to Pretend I'm a Carrot

Do you like to pretend you are a carrot?

Sometimes I like to sit in the corner and pretend I'm a carrot.

Sometimes I like to sit on the floor and pretend I'm a carrot.
    Sometimes I like to lie on the floor and pretend I'm a carrot.
    Sometimes I like to lay on the floor and pretend I'm a carrot.

Sometimes I like to crawl under my bed and pretend I'm a carrot.

Sometimes I like to dig a hole and pretend I'm a carrot.

Why?

Because carrots are loved and I want to be loved.

Because carrots are hated by bad people and left alone and I want to be left alone.

Carrots are my friend and I want to be my friend.

Carrots stand up for what they believe in.
    Carrots lay down for what they believe in.

Carrots have a reputation for being good. No carrot has ever been arrested.

Carrots are popular. People take carrots wherever they go. This is because carrots are good company.

The list of carrot goodness is endless.

And that is why I pretend I'm a carrot.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you'd make more money on YouTube with that:
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … lions.html

1. paradigm search profile image53
        paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Is that the carrot guy? He's even got a google auto-complete.

2. colorfulone profile image77

Carrots will make a stubborn mule walk when one is dangled in front of them on a pole.

* Carrots help eliminate mulish stubbornness.   
      * Carrots help make good friends out of mules.

I posted this masterpiece as what would have to be the worst hub on the planet. It was an SEO and google auto-complete experiment from way back. Amazingly, my current website version of this gem actually made it to page 4 of Google. Probably on the list when I decide to do my next round of website page deletions.

1. colorfulone profile image77

See!

paradigm search,
          That was MUCH better than the hubs in my feed that I reported!

lol

2. colorfulone profile image77

Just think of all the possibilities, Shades.
            @paradigm could shift things on the world wide wide with that carrot topic.

I would like detailed information and photos on How To Turn Skin Orange With Carrot Juice.  Could be a hot new trend coming out of that. Then, combine it with the Best Fake Orange Tan Methods, etc.

Seriously ~ tongue

13. firstcookbooklady profile image85

Yeah, because if Mark Twain ever listened to people who decided that anyone who dared write without the greatest grammar ever, WE wouldn't have Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn, NOR would we have TAWT WE SAW A PUDDY TAT either... Face it, a writer is whatever THEY choose to write... not what YOU choose for them to write.

MOVE on!!!

Mark Twain was an excellent writer.

In my schooling, I was taught to always try my best.  What I was asking for was not even the best, but simply a good effort.  But apparently, you would prefer to make this a war. YOU WIN.  You can write your hubs as you wish.

14. firstcookbooklady profile image85

I often thought I'd like to be a tomato.

15. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

Those hubs you saw might not have passed through quality accessment process. After QAP, they will be unfeatured if they are of poor quality.

16. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Nate: I saw same thing, it is either spun or copied content they tried to do some sort of rewrite.  Either way, it is total garbage from same hubber as Nate posted.

1. firstcookbooklady profile image85
      firstcookbookladyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The No Longer Published file is getting bigger and bigger....

2. NateB11 profile image89

Yeah, it was really bad; I reported the Hubs and the user. Unfortunately, such content is damaging to the site and I think needs to be reported.

Agree, Nate!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)