Is it OK to talk about my site on Hub Pages?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (29 posts)
  1. mike102771 profile image68
    mike102771posted 7 years ago

Is it kosher to promote or talk about your own site on hub pages. I have my own site and I am doing the majority OK, all my short stories there.  I have a link in my profile but I don’t want to do anything that goes against the hub pages rules. I started the site so I could write without restrictions (such as foul language (and yes, I don’t mean chicken or duck speak) or sexual situations.)
    Have anyone here promoted themselves or own site using this site.

I am sure there is some legal mumbo-jumbo in a Q&A part of this site I just don’t care enough to look it up.

*note* please keep any response under say 5000 words. Some people try and write War & Peace with every answer.

Also, I am posting this under Freeforum Discussion to allow a general audience to read and type how I am wrong. I realize it should be on a "Getting Help" with or other such forum so don’t post saying that. It just isn’t as helpful as you might think it is.

1. theraggededge profile image87
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I was going to write a nice response in answer to your question, but I don't really care that much.

mike102771posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your honesty

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 7 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. Marketing Merit profile image84
      Marketing Meritposted 7 years agoin reply to this

< 5,000 word response: Not kosher.

Just look at some of the other forums. Some of these people just go on and on saying nothing.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Promoting outside websites on your articles is prohibited.

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 7 years ago

Thank you

3. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Leaving aside the weirdness of the original post, this site is not about promoting other sites. A link from your profile would be OK. Links from every article, not so much.

Thank you.
      As for the weirdness, I wanted to get answer without a dissertation. I think I am just a little tired of all the page long answers people are posting without saying anything new.

As for my original question, I am just not going to do it. Why look for trouble?

4. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Mike, there are rules about linking.  They are:

1. No more than two links to the same website within a single Hub.   That one's simple.

2.  Links MUST be DIRECTLY relevant to the MAIN subject of the Hub.  That may  need a little explanation.

Say you are writing about Abraham Lincoln and you mention George Washington.   In that Hub, you may link to a webpage about Abraham Lincoln, but you may NOT link to a webpage about George Washington.

So in summary, if you are writing about a subject and  you have written a post on your own site which offers relevant and helpful information on that subject, you may link to it (and you must link to that specific post, not to your home page).  Otherwise, not.

Thank you for your response.

I think for what I was thinking I would have to make a hub that just feels wrong to me (shoeing in a hub so I can direct people to my site rather than a self-contained hub). Even now I wish I hadn’t started this forum. I hate talking about myself.

At least it provided some laughs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No - if you wrote a Hub deliberately to promote your site, it wouldn't be approved, as Christy says.  The trick is to write a Hub about a topic which you cover in more detail on your website.  Then it becomes a natural link to give the reader helpful information.

I took a quick look at your site - looks like it's mainly fiction, so that makes it hard.

Thanks, I am already giving up any idea of trying.

2. Will Apse profile image89
          Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why would you give people this kind of advice? Self-promoters provide no benefit to this site.

5. gregspalmer profile image75
    gregspalmerposted 7 years ago

Yea just be sure its not trolling. Here i will help out, what do you do for a living? Do you have a website that actually brings in money? If so what is it? I want to run google webmaster tools on it..  Maybe i can post it on my youtube site and forms. They get about 1/2 million views last year.

Thanks, but my minor tiny little small insignificant site isn’t worth the trouble.

I don’t use it for my work (I am a delivery driver) and I don’t make any money on it. I use it for my badly written short stories. The stuff Hub Pages won’t allow on their site.

6. poppyr profile image92
    poppyrposted 7 years ago

Thank you for walking us through the "foul language" part. I was certainly scratching
    my head until you reassured us it wasn't about birds.

1. Jean Bakula profile image88
      Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can put fiction on Letterpile, there is a creative writing section. But language is an issue on HP.

Thank you.

As of right now I have no plans to post any of my bad fiction on HP.

I think I will just keep playing the word game.

2. mike102771 profile image68

Cluck, cluck balk balk BALK! Oh wait I said no chicken talk sorry.

I was just a little chicken worried people wouldn't see the sarcasm.

7. Jeremy Gill profile image93
    Jeremy Gillposted 7 years ago

This is one of the strangest forums I've ever encountered. Seems we must be careful how we phrase our questions lest we ruffle some feathers.

Quack,  Quack, Quack, oh darn it I’m doing it again.

With some people (not any one reading this) all a person has to do is exist to ruffle feathers. A person can find themselves having to duck a lot a lot of angry posts or be goosed into an argument over nothing. It can leave a person feeling Kentucky Fried.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think it's like any group of people.  You tend to get back what you give out.  if that offends a person, they should probably stop doing it to others.

1. theraggededge profile image87
        theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's definitely a kind of chicken and egg situation, wouldn't you say? I'm sure the OP feels a right cuckoo now.

I am outside so I am keeping my hands off, oh what I think you mean something else.

I will stick by what I posted even if I regret posting it.
          They are the reasons I stopped asking questions or really posting on other threads like I used too.

8. Sustainable Sue profile image94
    Sustainable Sueposted 7 years ago

I quail at the thought!

smile  big_smile lol lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)