jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)

So I need some input on this.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image93
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 weeks ago

I've been gone for about six months. During that time, I've moved about four or five times. I just eventually lost count. Now I'm a bit settled at last! wink I say 'a bit,' because these days I'm more digital nomad than settled resident. But, anyway.

I need to update!

I now that at some point there was an update from Paul Edmonton that something more was added to the niche hubs. I want to add that info to this hub.

https://hubpages.com/community/List-of- … work-Sites

Can anyone tell me how the niche hubs differ from when they started so that I can get all the info down for the sake of convenience for everybody on hubpages?

2. lobobrandon profile image84
    lobobrandonposted 4 weeks ago

As far as I know, there are no new niche sites added. The page you linked to should have them all.

TessSchlesingerposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I think it was more about something changed, but I can't remember what.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Ask Paul

I didn't want to disturb him.

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

The grammar rules have changed. That's a fairly new one.

The pictures need to be the whole page wide, not little ones on the left or right, so they look good on phones, but that's been going on for a bit too.

We have 4 months to get our articles on niche sites in shape, grammar and picture-wise, probably 3 by now, or the edibot or maybe a person will just do it, and you may not like their way of changing, so try to do it yourself. It's a threat to make us feel that our articles on niche sites are now not good enough to stay on them. I had about 30 taken that I never asked for when the niches began, so it's annoying to be threatened to keep revisiting the same ones.

Best wishes in your new location.

Okay, thank you. Much appreciated. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

How have the grammar rules changed?

1. lobobrandon profile image84
            lobobrandonposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I guess you now need to write well lol

smile

2. TessSchlesinger profile image93

I think she meant the way the piece is set out.

Grammar can't change.

Or have I missed something?

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
              Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

That's what I thought.

3. Jean Bakula profile image92
            Jean Bakulaposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

The APA guidelines are fairly new. I don't agree with many of them, like not underlining book titles and putting them in italics. Even when I follow the subtitle capitalization, they change it and it looks wrong to me. If articles shouldn't be in caps, fine, I have been doing that. Then they change it anyway. I just do what they want, or what I think they want at this point.

And wasn't it just a month ago they told us to get the articles on niches fixed up or they would take them off? I'm tired of this whole merry go round.

TessSchlesingerposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

I'm not sure about APA rules, but titles have always been in italics (where I come from anyway). Nothing is every supposed to be written in capital letters.

How are articles on niches supposed to be fixed? Isn't one always supposd to write grammatically?

I think I've missed something here.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
              Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Oh, I see.  I don't think the APA guidelines are part of the official rules.  It's just that when they decided to appoint editors for the niche sites, they had to standardize their approach somehow, and telling them to follow the APA guidelines was one way of doing that.

3. Terrielynn1 profile image86
    Terrielynn1posted 4 weeks ago

I got an email mail teling me that all 1/2 photos capsules will be made full size. And that we need to make all amazon capsules to in text only. The other thing is not to use call outs for article titles. Is this what you were thinking? I haven't seen any new niche sites or emails about them. but just these recent changes.

Thanks.That helps. What I am trying to do is give all the information in one hub so that it's easy for people to find what they need to know immediately.

However, I vaguely remember that the niche hubs had changed in some way.

2. Jean Bakula profile image92

Yes, Terrielynn1,
      I am having trouble finding images that they don't find pixelated when they are stretched out all across the hub. It's very hard, and when I wrote in they asked me if I had someone else who could see better to "check for me." I felt insulted and my vision is good.

I always got A's in English grammar, and they are taking articles in my titles and capitalizing them when supposedly they should be lower case. My son graduated college a few years ago, and also was taught to underline book titles. I never heard of italicizing them, nor did he, also a good writer and A student who graduated summa cum laude. Each editor does what they want and it's still not uniform. Or correct as taught in the U.S.

Also, I never used call out capsules. The administration changed many of my hubs and used them. Now they changed their minds, and I've spent hours undoing their "corrections. I just spent over an hour to fix two hubs.

These are the changes I mean.

TessSchlesingerposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

What you just wrote was not grammatical. I was taught in the early 60s about italics. That is the international standard. Maybe American publishers are catching on?

1. Jean Bakula profile image92

Tess,
          I see you have not changed. It was not necessary for you to insult me when I was trying to help bring you up to date. The administration is making many changes to try to have an excellent site.

I did not know how long you had missed the latest ones, so added a few others besides grammar. When real people check these hubs, THEY are not consistent with the APA guidelines. I have colons and semicolons in my titles, and other incorrect changes they have made throughout my work, some which change the meaning of what I wrote. They remove links that aren't really going take my readers to the site, but are necessary for the article to make sense.

Rest assured I will not help you again. You COULD read the latest guidelines yourself instead of prevailing on others to do it for you, then getting snarky with them. Normally when a person offers help, "Thank you" is the correct response.

working