The Serendipitous Thread

Jump to Last Post 301-350 of 422 discussions (1117 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Tax paperwork rant:

"Still at it."

Rant concluded.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Can't give yourself permission to quit on that one.

paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Actually I have already done so at least a dozen times.  That really is the secret. Instead of being an impossible project, it is instead just a series of irritating tasks that eventually and inevitably end up being a project successfully completed.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

Around 4:40 am for me. Another day begins.

Wrapped up the taxes yesterday. Another monster paperwork project begins today. Plus, yesterday I discovered that Google has been messing up the indexing of my website; got to get that fixed somehow.
    Writing? Who has time for writing? I miss writing.

1. k@ri profile image84
      k@riposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Great job wrapping up those taxes!  I hope you find more time soon.  Did you look under the rock?  smile

Speaking of looking under rocks, Google takes absolutely forever to update their blasted index. Turning into a real pain in the neck. Other than that, having a good day and getting things done.

3. Childrens Tv Fun profile image59
    Childrens Tv Funposted 6 years ago

Awesome smile

4. profile image0
    threekeysposted 6 years ago

Mizbejabbers I would be keen to hear your description of a bad writer?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am sure there are many variations of bad writing. Often they involve  style, form, usage and composition. They might include overwriting, lack of clarity, misuse of words and grammatical errors.Mizbejabbers may have a different or longer list.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Yes, well, like, really, it is HUGE when you see it, and you can be sure we will look at it, and then, well, we just will.  I mean, like, to the max, man, groovy and all. Besides, no one ever said it wasn't and that you can take to the bank and bob's your uncle."

....That would be one example of bad writing (and speaking!) lol

1. snakeslane profile image80
          snakeslaneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Groovy man, you can say that again. Ain't it the truth. smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image59

Hark! I forgot it was HP pay day! Yee-haw and happy hot dog!

lol  Woo-Hoo!

2. snakeslane profile image80

Nice. Congratulations Para.

6. paradigmsearch profile image59

Pro or con, don't forget 9:00 pm EST tonight. The American adventure continues. lol

7. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

A scary looking death metal band just sent me a link to check out their new album and review it on my page.
    My jokes about "doing Satan's work" around here by writing exclusively about heavy metal music and horror movies are starting to pay off. big_smile

WTG! big_smile

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this
      1. DrMark1961 profile image95

(Sorry, if you are a true beleiver that was in really bad taste!)

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
      FatFreddysCatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

...and now another band has contacted me about reviewing their album. They're coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden. big_smile

I must say, the timing is excellent because I was just thinking that I am WAY overdue to post some new stuff!

An idea...

I might as well make some money off this hot topic. If so inclined, email me a list of your Death Metal URLs you would like me to link to; the more, the better. Include the title you want associated with each URL. I'll see what I can do. It's a long shot and will take some work to make the list; so if not interested, that's ok. smile

1. FatFreddysCat profile image92

Ummm... I have no idea what you're proposing. Links for what?

The funny thing is I'm not even a death metal fan... the "WOOOORRRRRGH" vocal style annoys the heck out of me... I even warned the first band about that and their response was "That's OK, we need press," so I'm like "Oooookay, I hope they're good sports," haha

All I can say is I've had some success in this regard before. If you don't like the results, I'll immediately take it down. However, you say you're not a Death Metal fan; so sounds like making that list would be work, not fun. That being the case, probably not worth your time; oh well.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92

Scary death metal guy was very pleased with my mostly-clueless, totally uninformed poser review of his album. So hey, it doesn't hurt to go "off the reservation" every once in a while.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59

I just stumbled across this. Serendipity indeed.

"Steve Jobs Knew How to Write an Email. Here's How He Did It"

https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/steve … email.html

9. mom101 profile image60
    mom101posted 6 years ago

Its been awhile. But I think ill hang around a little bit this time. Dont see many that were here then but havent looked much yet.

Hello, fellow 8-year person. It's a whole different planet here now, be forewarned. big_smile

10. paradigmsearch profile image59

Meanwhile, from an email....

WHAT CAUSES ARTHRITIS?

A drunk man who smelled of beer sat down on a subway next to a priest.

The man's tie was stained, his face was plastered with red lipstick, and a half-empty bottle of gin was sticking out of his torn coat pocket.  He opened his newspaper and began reading.

After a few minutes the man turned to the priest and asked, "Say Father, what causes arthritis?"

The priest replies, "My Son, it's caused by loose living, being with cheap, wicked women, too much alcohol, contempt for your fellow man, sleeping around with prostitutes and lack of a bath."

The drunk muttered in response, "Well, I'll be damned”, then returned to his paper.

The priest, thinking about what he had said, nudged the man and apologized. "I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to come on so strong. How long have you had arthritis?"

The drunk answered, "I don't have it, Father.
    I was just reading here that the Pope does."

MORAL: Make sure you understand the question before offering the answer.

lol lol lol

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

Along those same lines:

A little boy comes in the house and asks, "Dad, where did I come from?"
    The father squirms a bit, but sits his son down and launches into an explanation of "the birds and bees."
    The child sits patiently, if somewhat confusedly until his father finishes.
    Dad then asked him, "Did you understand that, and what brought that up?"
    The little boy said, "Oh, yes, well, Jimmy across the street said he comes from Ohio, so I wondered where I came from."

lol

Yes, indeed--check in to make sure you understand the question...

1. Natalie Frank profile image90
      Natalie Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Laughing!

2. k@ri profile image84

Hahahaha!  big_smile

12. paradigmsearch profile image59

Thought I'd start the day on a happy note. Been having internet connection problems for the last several days. Finally bit the bullet and called the ISP tech support. The problem did indeed turn out to be them and not me. Bless their hearts, they had the problem fixed before the end of the day. As a side note, if you happen to have a phone landline, DSL will save you a fortune in internet costs. Handles video/etc. just fine; up time 99%. I've become fond of them over the last 2 years.

1. k@ri profile image84

I used to have DSL through my phone company.  I always thought it worked well.  Glad your internet problem is cleared up!  smile

13. paradigmsearch profile image59

Friday. Friday. A messing around day.

I wrote an article called "Stuffed Groundhog Day". The internet is completely ignoring it. Thanks, Google.

Oh, well. Not exactly a first.

Meanwhile, planning on a pleasant and possibly even adventuresome day; still undecided.

Sounds delishably.
      You have heard why it takes two hillbillies to eat groundhog, right?
      One to eat while the other watches for traffic.

You are as evil as I am. lol

14. paradigmsearch profile image59

I find it amusing how whenever I edit an article, ads then follow me around relating to the topic of that article. Too bad there isn't some way to get AdSense to poke Google Search with a stick about it.

15. paradigmsearch profile image59

Got to give myself the Dorkmeier Award for the day. I suddenly realized there was a way to have a static homepage on Blogger. This is something I should have picked up on a long time ago. Oh well, not a big deal; I win that award all the time anyway.

16. paradigmsearch profile image59

Uh-oh. Going to be a very nervous weekend for a lot of folks. Just the beginning?

"Dow drops 666 points and posts its worst week since 2016"
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/business … 5aaed0d557

17. FatFreddysCat profile image92

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13893418.jpg

18. FatFreddysCat profile image92

I have three new articles in various stages of pre-production as we speak. These would be my first new works of 2018. I would like to get at least one of 'em done and published this weekend.

...all I need to do is pack the wife, kids and dog in a box and ship them to Antarctica so I can write without constant distractions/interruptions...

Maybe bring up the word, "Mall", in a conversation... big_smile

Meanwhile, I am hereby glad to brag I now and finally have a decent homepage on my site. I've already alerted the media.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92

Just finished banging out one of the three new Hubs...and I didn't have to ship anyone to Antarctica after all Yay! I'm being productive!

I was hoping you would send them to the mall or a dog park.
        It is summer down in Antartica but still pretty harsh that way. No way to treat your dog.

19. paradigmsearch profile image59

Google Analytics is becoming downright awesome these days. Not talking about my stats; I'm talking about the actual software.

20. FatFreddysCat profile image92

Fancy a bit of vintage '80s German Synth-pop?

Peter Schilling's classic "Vollig Losgelost" (aka "Major Tom") has been stuck in my head ever since I heard it in the movie "Atomic Blonde" yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkmcNOJoiVI

"Atomic Blonde" was a badass movie, by the way. Charlize Theron beats the crap out of the entire East/West Berlin underworld, circa 1990, set to a killer Euro-pop soundtrack incl. Schilling, Nena, Depeche Mode, David Bowie and more. Recommended viewing.

21. paradigmsearch profile image59

There is some sort of rumor about something called a super bowl today. Not sure what that's about.

Meamwhile...
    2018 Super Bowl Commercials Compilation! (Funniest Superbowl LII Ads)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3iTXTHc8u8

Just thought I'd mention it so folks won't be alarmed when their traffic drops dead. big_smile

1. snakeslane profile image80

Thanks! cool link Para.

1. k@ri profile image84

I agree with Verlie.  I would never have seen them if not for your link, lol.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95

Traffic will drop dead on the same day that our CPM skyrockets to $100? Hardly seems fair, does it?

3. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93
      Beth Eaglescliffeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Me neither.

Six Nations Rugby is where it's all happening. big_smile
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/video

22. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 6 years ago

I need to stop being lazy and finish my next Hub. I just didn't want to this week I guess. At least my "older" stuff is getting more views.

23. paradigmsearch profile image59

Well, well; Monday morning here. I just checked Sunday stats and the traffic drop wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.

24. FatFreddysCat profile image92

I prefer the Superb Owl.
    http://www.brainlesstales.com/images/2016/Feb/superb-owl.jpg

1. k@ri profile image84

LOL, me too.  smile

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

lol lol lol  Yes, a very fine bird, indeed!  lol

25. paradigmsearch profile image59

https://i.imgflip.com/247qlr.jpg
    The perfect bio. Now I just got to figure out how to get it into that little, tiny box.

1. k@ri profile image84

LOL  big_smile  big_smile

Couldn't figure out a way to get it into the bio, so I put it at the end of each of my hubs. I'm sure HP will be fine with it. After all, it's a win-win.

26. paradigmsearch profile image59

Well, my impression is that traffic was indeed a little lower this entire week than last week. Nothing to get excited about, just kind of odd. I guess Sunday must have had some sort of multi-day effect. Oh well, next week awaits.

27. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

Q.  What do you call a group of birds on a volleyball court?

A.  Fowl play!

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You made me laugh.  This is a great joke.

You should hear the fowl language I hear coming from the trees around here all the time.

Meanwhile, just ambling by. My main writing frustration these days is not about the actual writing, but where to post the blasted things.

The HP deal-breaker is the vulnerability to the editors and possibly future Maven bombshells. Actually, the vulnerability to the editors is the main one.

The deal-breaker as to my website is its traffic and earnings are less this year than last year and I have no idea why.

What a mess.

The best course of action seems to be to do nothing until something changes or more information becomes available.

28. NateB11 profile image87
    NateB11posted 6 years ago

Either on this thread or the other one I had talked about needing a job because my Mom had been put in a nursing home after I'd been taking care of her for many years. Can't remember if I followed up, I think I did mention I'd gotten a job.

At any rate, I had gotten a job, was night shift and partly on the weekend, wasn't enjoying those aspects; so, got another job, which I still currently have. It's not ideal, but it's tolerable and pays the bills. It's in the line of work I've done for years, teaching and taking care of people with developmental disabilities in a day program. Been a bumpy ride, ran into some weirdness on the job  quite a few times but I'm at least partly happy that I've got something that pays rent and bills (barely).

1. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Are you still supporting your mom in the care facility?

I see you live in California.

On the one hand, California will pay for everything that Medicare doesn't.

On the other hand, California will then seize all your Mom's assets to recover their costs when the time comes.

Here's a Job Resource to maybe find a better job.

Here's our plan to avoid California's grab:
        Stay in our home as long as possible, then, either transfer the title to my kids, or sell the place, and go into an apartment for the remainder of our days.  They will have nothing to seize!  tongue  So there!

Can't even blame the politicians for this one. The idiotic general population came up with this law via one of the propositions decades ago.

Meanwhile, I think I'm entering an all-things-writing-and-website burnout phase. Continually working hard and getting no results is destroying my motivation, especially since all the problems are because of others actions as opposed to anything I've done or failed to do. Contemplating dropping all activity altogether.

29. paradigmsearch profile image59

Sunday. Sunday. For some completely unknown reason, my subconscious has just served up to me there will be some sort of reasonably important announcement from HP sometime this week. I have no idea what. For me this is website work week while I wait to see if my subconscious is full of it or not.

Traffic was not that great for me last week, both here and website.

Still undecided where to publish my barn burner article about my recent medical experience.

Meanwhile, planning on both a peaceful and productive week.

30. paradigmsearch profile image59

Ever need to know an extinct URL, even from years ago? Probably for DMCA purposes?

Go to Google Webmaster Tools. Find your old HP Profile Name. Find the Crawl Errors page. You will find the URL there, which you can then refer to when doing the DMCA.

Interesting how hubs deleted years ago are still being crawled for and the cache is still stashed somewhere. Nothing ever dies on the internet it seems. Gotta wonder if that old cache affects new location ranking? Looks like doing the Remove URL/cache process is mandatory, if you want a decent chance in SERPs.

31. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 6 years ago

Do not let this thread die!
    (I have a lot I want to complain about but nothing important to say. I just wanted to bump this so that it would not fade off of the front page.)

32. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 6 years ago

Not much to say myself. I finally finished writing something. Hopefully it gets approved and moved to LevelSkip. I feel like it is so hard to tell. Sometimes the editors leave my stuff exactly as is and move it over. Other times they mark it up all over. Either way here's to more views!

33. paradigmsearch profile image59

Definite drop in HP traffic this week. Am not amused. However, CPM continues to save the day. How are others' traffic doing?

1. FatFreddysCat profile image92

I've noticed a slight dip but not enough to push the panic button over.  I have had no time whatsoever to write new stuff or promote old stuff lately so I'm just letting things take care of themselves for the time bein'.

As to HP. as am I; though probably going to drop a note to HP next week as to a problem hub that is not HP's fault.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image94
          EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My daily views have been about the same recently. One of my Hubs gets almost double traffic on the weekend. I am wondering why this is?

Also, some of my Hubs are pretty much dead trafficwise. I am testing some things to see if this will help jumpstart them. I most likely will just write them off as bad ideas for HubPages. At least I am getting an idea of what will work and won't work.

It seems poker may be the niche I will stick with. Play chip/fun poker that is. I am testing this anyways.

Rampant poker in my days. True serious and LOL. Pokerstars, Ultimatebet, the whole shot. Serious money. All dead re: USA blocked, blocked, and blocked. Tried Ignition; total failure.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image94
              EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I know. Apparently US government doesn't want people playing poker outside of a casino and for cheap. It is why I just play poker for fun and have nothing to lose.

Deleted

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8151974.jpg

Well now, I came here to post something else and I see this.

Unlike my rants regarding FB, proactive with Pinterest still works.

Back to the beach... I try.

3. paradigmsearch profile image59

Bookmark. Two posts deleted.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59

"what"

5. paradigmsearch profile image59

A curious life we lead.

I sense playtime.

6. paradigmsearch profile image59

I sense hardball will be allowed to be played here.

7. paradigmsearch profile image59

I know what my next forum mess will be.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59

Rechecking poker. Year ago, no. Now, yes?

9. paradigmsearch profile image59

Critter not telling, downloading now.

10. paradigmsearch profile image59

Is it not fun how we are at the whims of others?

11. paradigmsearch profile image59

Still downloading. Still wondering if allowed to play. Why not tell me first?

12. paradigmsearch profile image59

Freeroll? Why? Worth a shot. Modem still blasting away.

13. paradigmsearch profile image59

And this is why the singularity. Modem still blinking. And stopped. Green cats for those of the past.

14. paradigmsearch profile image59

Blue bar crawling across.

15. paradigmsearch profile image59

I have access.

16. paradigmsearch profile image59

Second I make a bet, reporting stops.

17. paradigmsearch profile image59

Took a long time to tell me, but still dead. As to freerolls, no idea.

18. paradigmsearch profile image59

Still have a shot. Can't bet USA money, but still might be able with...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)