jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Ingredients capsule vs. Text capsule

1. Kella Hanna-Wayne profile image92
    Kella Hanna-Wayneposted 2 months ago

I'm fairly new to hubpages. I mostly write recipe hubs and pretty quickly, I discovered that the "ingredient" and "instructions" capsules were limited to one per hub. I found this a little silly since many recipes have several parts, but I worked around it fairly easily.

After publishing a few more recipes, I noticed that actually, there is no formatting difference at all between an ingredient/instruction capsule and a text capsule with bullet points or numbers. And in fact, it was much faster to copy and paste the full set of instructions or ingredients I had typed out in another document and simply add in the bullet point formatting than it was to copy and paste each individual instruction etc.

My question is: Is there any kind of benefit to using the ingredient and instruction capsules rather than replacing them with text capsules? Are those capsules just a way to make formatting easier for people? Or is there some way that using the capsules specifically intended for the purpose of writing recipes helps catalogue or score your hub differently?

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago

I understand that the recipe capsules use a markup which signals to Google that it's a recipe, so it should improve ranking.

3. Glenn Stok profile image99
    Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago

As Marisa had indicated, the recipe capsules have special markup coding. Google uses that to place your recipe instructions in a Featured Snippet. If you don’t use those capsules, you’ll be missing out on ever having a chance of being listed in Featured Snippet in the SERPs.

1. GetitScene profile image84
      GetitSceneposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Good quesion Kella, I had wondered the same thing myself. Great answers Marisa and Glenn, thanks for sharing!

2. EricFarmer8x profile image97
      EricFarmer8xposted 2 months agoin reply to this

So should I use this capsule even if the article is not related to cooking? How would I use it?

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 months agoin reply to this

No!   The capsule tells Google the Hub is a recipe.  If you use it on something that isn't a cooking recipe, Google would penalize you because it's deceptive.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image97
          EricFarmer8xposted 2 months agoin reply to this

This makes sense. Thanks for answering.

4. Kella Hanna-Wayne profile image92
    Kella Hanna-Wayneposted 2 months ago

That answers my question, thanks! It's too bad those capsules aren't easier to fill in, because I appreciate the search engine boost, but not the 5 times longer it takes to fill them out.

working