I suggest that the forum category 'Religion' be removed

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Béla Mongyiposted 14 years ago

or left in place.

1. countrywomen profile image59
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religion could be a good starting point for educational exchange of beliefs/culture. I guess problems only start when one thinks my religion/beliefs is better than others. That's why I guess elders suggest to us to have lesser discussion about politics or religions in public since some people can take it very personally. smile

1. profile image0
        Béla Mongyiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think that's logical. smile

2. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sorry what elders

1. Jewels profile image82
          Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As in the advice of parents and grandparents.  Having discussions about politics and religion is a sure way of getting into an argument, and in all politeness one should not get involved in such discussions.  Mainly it was respectful to allow people to have their own beliefs and to not force yours onto others.  I know I was given that advice in my teenage years.  Interestingly it was more pronounced in the arena of politics and telling someone who you voted for was never forced, it was very private and often rude to ask.

Yes, Jewels that is exactly what I meant by "elders". Thanks for the clarification on my behalf. In our family both my paternal and maternal uncles/aunts also are included among "elders". smile

2. profile image0
      mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you take out the religion forum then take out the rest of the forum's because that would be an act of discrimination against the freedom of speech as well as the right to belieave how we want to believe if you do not like to not go to it!! How about the hub page staff have better by laws to comments made in the forum and posting?

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Removing that category would be the end of HubPages as we know it.

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, hence the suggestion. smile

Business "suicide" isn't a good idea tongue

1. Haunty profile image73
          Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All I'm saying I'd like to see 'those people' talking about other things. I don't know how that would turn out. smile

With too much time on our hands. wink

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually I remember times when there were no religion forum tongue

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You sound like my Grandpa talking about the good old days. yikes

1. teeray profile image61
          teerayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah...nostalgia sets in, eh?

3. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

that would leave me only the political forum to troll around in.

We know better...LOL. You are far too intelligent to consider yourself a "troll". You rock GT http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/LisaMznutz/Smilies/bis2.gif

4. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 14 years ago

I think some posters in other forums should be removed and "placed" in the religion forum.

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
      Teresa McGurkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hear, hear.

5. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

This post made me think of John Lennon's 'Imagine'. Now, I have that song stuck in my head! lol

1. Elena. profile image84
      Elena.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Girly, this actually made me sputter my coffee up my nose!  Not sexy!  big_smile

6. Joelle Burnette profile image70
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

You may not like what someone has to say, but I'd rather have the freedom to say it than not to have the freedom at all.

7. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

I guess if you don't want the forum, just don't visit it. That's what I do.

8. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

I don't care, I'm depressed.  Where's the mental health forum?

9. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

I am a little pissed of with the Religion Forum myself with all the religious fanatics throwing dirt on each other. So i have chosen to ignore the forum altogether. You could do that too.

10. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 14 years ago

Last I heard, no one is ever forced to visit the Religion forum...

1. dingdong profile image59
      dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's it lol

2. embitca profile image83
      embitcaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True, so now the Religious forum visits us.

I suggest that all mentions of the Religious forum be confined to the Religious forum. smile

11. Elena. profile image84
    Elena.posted 14 years ago

All right, I'm done snorting coffee through my nose.  Here's what I wanted to say before:

Much as I'm allergic to that particular forum, I'm a lot more allergic to this form of covert censorship smile  No one forces anyone else to visit that or *any other* forum....  Live, let live, and all that jazz.

12. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It's too bad, though, that the people who post on the religion forum don't approach their discussions like, "In my religion, we believe x and x."  Instead, they aren't on there to discuss or share.  Most of them have apparently got a "preacher complex" and go to the forums to let everyone else know they aren't getting to "heaven".

1. Elena. profile image84
      Elena.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, guess you're right, Lisa, but really, nobody needs to listen to those "preachers" any more than one needs to go to church.  It's a voluntary action to put oneself thru all the preachin' --either in the forums or in a real life church big_smile

13. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Elena, I agree that nobody needs to listen/read, and I usually don't.  Still, it just kind of amazes me that there are people who would presume to preach to other people.  There's a point where we've all run into it often enough to once in a while think, "Hey, let's start preaching back."  There's an arrogance to presuming one "knows all the answers" and that he is a right to try to "smarten everyone else up".  People can believe what they and say/write what they like, and most of the time everyone else just politely ignores them.

Sometimes, though, I just think that they don't think twice about trying to make everyone else feel ignorant and inferior when it comes to how "good" anyone is.  In fact, it's what they live for.  If they didn't have their preaching they wouldn't have any other excuse for fluffing up their own sense of superiority.  I don't really care who preaches on the Internet because I don't take any of what any of them say seriously.  Still, I'm not sure that once in a while a few people shouldn't "preach back".  They aren't going to listen any more than others listen to them, but why should they just be given a pass to go around telling everyone else that they're the only ones who know how to live and that everyone else is headed for hell.  Maybe my "moral crusade" is to point out to "certain people" that if there's a God He most likely doesn't care much for self-righteousness and utter lack of respect for anyone who has different beliefs about religion.

Again, I don't particularly care who says what; and I don't usually come to the religion forum.  The religious thing, though, leaks out into half the the rest of the topics, as well as wherever else it shows up online and off.  I just thought maybe it would be fair enough for me to do a little preaching too, since "we're all preaching".  No, nobody is forced to come to the religion forum; and I wouldn't even want anyone to just listen to what I "preach" and buy it.  I do assume, though, I have a right to "preach" as much as the next guy does.  My point is, though, why not have a reasonable discussion about the different beliefs, rather than preach?  It just seems to me that if there's a God He'd much prefer some respectful conversation and debate to having any one human place himself above others.

14. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago

As the person who asked for the forum to be put up, I can honestly say that I'm not ashamed of it's current incarnation.  Each person has the power to speak as they will, within limits and structure, but overall I believe that it has had a positive impact on many people.  I do think that people have gotten out of hand in a lot of threads, but that is no different than the possibility of it getting out of hand anywhere else on the forum.

I am still glad I asked for it, and that it sees a great deal of use.  I only wish that people would not misuse it.

15. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I don't know whether or not I am one of "those" people. I try to be respectful of what others believe, though I have chosen to avoid the forums altogether due to finding myself compromising on my morals in order to "fit in." Not good. I respect even the most vocal of our atheists for (his) beliefs. We all come to our conclusions based on different paths and my goal isn't to make people believe as I do, but to give people the opportunity to understand what I believe.

I will confess to having felt backed into a corner and therefore to reacting. Not pretty. I try to avoid the topic now because I don't want to be the source of offense for another person (and because I don't want to be offended).

I stay out of the politics forum for the same reason. I am a proud conservative libertarian. I would prefer to leave discussion of my political leanings to that than to get into arguments with people about "why." It just isn't worth it to me (and I'm over-exposed to politics in the home anyway -- hubby is obsessed!).

I stay out of the "science" forum because I have a horrible tendency to get a bit... well, I can become a know-it-all. I was an anthropology major in college and... heh, I'd love to see a humanities forum other than politics and religion smile

All in all, honestly I go to other places to discuss the subjects of the niche forums here. And the forums are just distracting. I need to work on my hubs: they suck!

No, they don't. I have read some of your earlier hubs and they are pretty good. I will now go and read your hubs. Btw you are one of the few Christians here who is respectful of folks with other beliefs. I admire your politeness and respectfulness. smile

1. Everyday Miracles profile image86
        Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

It's really some of the newer hubs that are grating on me. I don't know if it's that I know I can do better (because I do) or if I read hubs by others and realize that I'm not as good as they are! The impossible standard!

I think that the reason you'll find so many disrespectful is that it's easier when you can't see and therefore directly relate to the person you're affecting/influencing.

You do a good job. Don't worry maybe the hub challenge must have made it a little difficult to reach your higher standards. I am with you about online interactions and I still hope there are more folks like you who can exchange there beliefs without taking it too personally. Have a good day, EM. smile

16. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

If we removed the Religion forum, people would just post the same sorts of threads in other forums.  At least with all of 'em in one place, people who are interested in such discussions can easily locate them, and people who aren't can easily avoid them.

1. cashmere profile image77
      cashmereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that. At least I have an option to visit or not!

17. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

LOL, I quit the challenge pretty early on. I was pushing myself too hard and I wrote some l-o-n-g hubs during that period, too. Weird, I guess!

I think that the standard for me has become the difference between something researched and something "off the cuff."

I usually write all my hubs "off the cuff". I did enough "research" for the technical papers during my MS days(and that is the last thing I want to do now i.e., talk about my regular technical stuff).

Now I am just here for having a good time and relaxing(and sometimes learning too). But you are right we have a responsibility towards our readers too and I should spend more time writing quality hubs. Thanks for your insight. I will try a pictorial hub next. Have a good day. It's almost dinner time. Bye take care. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)