A score of 39?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (62 posts)
  1. suziecat7 profile image77
    suziecat7posted 15 years ago

My new Hub is scored at 39. I've never had such a low score. Have I done something wrong with this Hub? It's getting traffic and comments too.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 15 years agoin reply to this

No.  I started with a 39 score the other day, and I asked the same question.  It will be in the mid 40's by tonight, and probably in the 50's by tomorrow.

2. Drew Breezzy profile image63
      Drew Breezzyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yeah it should go up my last hub was at 39 now it is at 69 so just give it time

3. relache profile image66
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Give any new Hubs 48 hours of life before making any judgments about their scores.

4. getpaidtopost profile image40
      getpaidtopostposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dont keep clicking on your own hub, this goes against you. I created a new hub yesterday and it started at 40 then today it when I woke it was on 79.

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 15 years agoin reply to this

GPTP:  how do you figure clicking on your own hub goes against you?  You have to edit from time to time, huh?  I've heard this mentioned before and the oldtimers have chimed in saying it's false.

1. livewithrichard profile image71
          livewithrichardposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It can't possibly be true. I tweek my hubs daily and it doesn't affect my scores.  The lower initial scores probably have something to do with the quantity of new hubs being made daily.  My last hub started out at 50 dropped to 39 and then a day later jumped to 79.  Now if it stays low, I'd be concerned and know that it needs a lot of tweeking.

1. profile image0
            girly_girl09posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to add that more often than not, I've seen the score go up a point almost instanteously after tweaking! So, viewing your own hubs can't hurt you, at all.

Also, tweaking your hub to improve score doesn't do a lot (maybe one or two points). There's only so much you can do if you already have quality content, a video or two and a few pics. After that, it's all about traffic (you could argue that visiting your own hub actually increases the traffic and can help the score that way, too!) Very slightly of course, now don't go refreshing your hubs over and over! hahaha

2. profile image0

I'm not an old timer but I visit my hubs ALL the time. Definitely doesn't work against me.

The only thing I can think of is that you are thinking it 'goes against you' because its a few more adsense impressions and will essentially lower your CTR? A few views here and there on your own hubs won't hurt anything, at all.

You do have to update every once in a while; Google understands that publishers need to view there own work. I like to look at mine again and again because I am always catching typos and misspellings that I made when I was writing at 2a.m.

3. getpaidtopost profile image40

Ok I have done concluded my test.

I created a hub 2 days ago, I did not click the hub once after publish, this hub started of 40 then the next day it was at 79,

Now yesterday I created another hub, I must have clicked this hub 20-30 times myself, now the hubscore is at 31. So if anyone say this is false they better think again. clicking on your own hub drops the score dramatically.

1. profile image0
            Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this happened to me, too.  But the thing was, I don't have that much time.  So I was just coming back to edit it--that's it.  If this is an intentional algorithm, it doesn't work.

1. Janet21 profile image80
              Janet21posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I suppose it is possible that excessive clicking on your hub can hurt the score.  But, really, who clicks their newly published hubs 20-30 times? Was all this clicking done in one day?

1. profile image0
                Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Janet...but I didn't say that...the other person did.  And all I was doing was just editing a hub that was unpublished.

Something else is up.

1. Janet21 profile image80
                  Janet21posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oops!  Sorry for the misquote!

2. getpaidtopost profile image40

Yes all in one day, this was just a test, to test the scoring system. I have watched points drop of hubs just by viewing the hub stats, so I thought id do this little test to see if i actually was loosing points due to my clicks or if someone has voted down on my hub.

2. Aya_Hajime profile image60
              Aya_Hajimeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Same here - just from edits and answering comments. Now my hub is at 30 - which is lower than unpublished hubs with no text. From now on, I will just hold off on publishing a hub right away. In fact, if things don't improve I'm going to unpublish and then republish after a few days.

Truly though, someone from HP admin should fix this bug because it surely is a bug.

2. Plants and Oils profile image67
            Plants and Oilsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Invalid experiment. Everyone's hubs are descending like a stone at hte moment.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How can it go against you?

2. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 15 years ago

I have been getting low scores when first published, too! It's really weird. I think HP must've changed how it's calculated?

Mine start off at 50, dip down to the 30's (even with comments and traffic) and then gradually rise up.

Don't worry - it will go back to a normal level. smile It is alarming to see it at first!

3. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 15 years ago

Yeah, I have one I just published sittin' pretty at 41 now.  This didn't seem to be happening when I first started here.  They never went down before going up.  Everyone's right though, it will slowly climb.

4. suziecat7 profile image77

Thank you all - I feel better now.

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years ago

I think this has happened to many Hubber recently. Some of my Hubs have done the same -- dip pretty low for a couple days and then rise pretty quickly. I try to improve titles and this helps. If you are receiving visits, readers, and comments, that is more important than an individual Hubscore, imo.

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

That's higher than mine lol lol

7. Stacie L profile image85
    Stacie Lposted 15 years ago

hey, I  just checked your latest hub and it has a score of 36!!
    I've never seen this before either.
    ...... hope my next one isn't that low...sad

8. livewithrichard profile image71
    livewithrichardposted 15 years ago

I don't go back to my hubs to try and increase my traffic..lol I go back to rework a title, play with keyword density, add or remove tags, move capsules around, and lately taking grilygirls advice on renaming pictures with my keywords...lol thanks gg

1. profile image0

lol I hope no one would try to get traffic that way. wink But after I thought about it, it would impact it in a slightly positive way (certainly not in a negative way).

lol again people - please don't go refreshing your hubs to try to get a point increase! wink

1. shibashake profile image81
        shibashakeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Now you tell me - I've been doing that all day and it hasn't helped a bit wink

2. viryabo profile image94
        viryaboposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I do go back and edit now and then, especially when i receive good tips. GG, ive read a number of your hubs and all your advice is sound. And when i do tweak, i notice it increases my traffic some.
        I IMO, doing it has helped a bit. I dont touch the ones with good traffic. Only the sluggish ones. It does have a positive impact for me. Certainly.

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 15 years ago

The hub I published this morning went live with a hubscore of 30. I've been gone all day. It's now at 40. I've really stopped worrying about this. As long as the google traffic is there and the sales happen - I'm good. My hubber score is more stable at 95 or so. Although when I left this a.m. I was at 97.

10. JonTutor profile image59
    JonTutorposted 15 years ago

Man... that is my profile score... I gotta do some serious writing.

11. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Yes!  This happened to my henna tattoo hub.  I thought I did something wrong.  Good to know it's hubpage wide...

12. NZUNG SERAPHINE profile image60
    NZUNG SERAPHINEposted 15 years ago

Relax,and see what happens after two days or more.

13. Kidgas profile image61
    Kidgasposted 15 years ago

My newest (from last night) is at 39 as well.  I didn't use to notice it.  Thanks for bringing it up!  Now I'm bummed.  LOL

14. BristolBoy profile image64
    BristolBoyposted 15 years ago

I woudl kill for a score of 39 on one of my hubs!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Here will trade one of mine with yours Bristol Boy smile

15. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 15 years ago

It generally takes me a few days to finish a hub.  The hub score continues to rise as it sits unpublished.  By the time I finally publish it, the score is in the 70+ range.

16. KCC Big Country profile image82
    KCC Big Countryposted 15 years ago

Something had to have changed recently.  I've never seen hubscores starting out so low and I've NEVER had one drop right after publishing like my last two did.  But, just like others have said, it's getting traffic and comments, so it'll eventually go back up I suppose.

17. suziecat7 profile image77

My new Hub is now down to a score of 31. Yikes! I'm going to stop looking.

1. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Please, dont stop looking. Seeing such a low score can prompt you into trying to improve your hub.
      Result? better scores.

18. Enelle Lamb profile image73
    Enelle Lambposted 15 years ago

I have noticed a big difference between my hubs that published a few months ago, to the ones that are publishing now...I have never had starting scores in the 30's. Generally they publish around the 50 mark (and that is with tweaking, and editing.)
    We can speculate all over the place, but who would be the person to contact regarding this?

19. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 15 years ago

I just posted a new hub last night. It's initial score was 49. Now it's 33. I hope it goes up by tomorrow (this is the first time I have such a real low score) otherwise, I may have to do some editing on it. Seriously though, I like that hub.

20. BristolBoy profile image64
    BristolBoyposted 15 years ago

Well I know from looking at Analytics that my hub has had traffic from a site called Tagfoot, yet this isn't showing up in my traffic sources on Hubpages so maybe this is linked to it.  It also seemed to take a very long time to be found by Google etc.

21. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 15 years ago

My latest hub dropped to 39 and it has had ten views in less than twelve hours.  I guess there aren't any tags for selling soap flakes in it.

22. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 15 years ago

Well...like everyone I was experiencing the low drop in numbers right away...even with the hub hits and comments coming in like usual or better...

Wish I could have known what was going on ahead of time...I was fidgeting and adjusting one hub to death...in the thinking that a picture was way too commercial...or a line in it didn't make sense. I thought we could get to our own hubs from our account stats section while we are signed in and not drop their point value with a back click?

I get the point about how tweaking for a few hub points isn't very productive...but what if you tweak to help a hub out for the long term...you know like a lame word changed or an updated one. I like tweaking...not overhauling...just a little fine tuning...like synchronizing a carburetor to keep an engine running just right.

23. cindyvine profile image67
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

Well, there is definitely something up.  Published a new hub 12 hours ago, it has already had 31 visits and quite a few comments and it is sitting at an all-time low hubscore of 23!  Usually, newly published hubs of mine go out at least at above 50, so this 23 is like dead or diseased or something.  I reckon something is definitely up, like hubswine flu or something.

1. BristolBoy profile image64
      BristolBoyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If it is any consolation it should hopefully start to increase at some point since my hub which went down extremely low and I published about 24 hours ago has now risen up to 48 and still appears to be rising.

2. AsherKade profile image58
      AsherKadeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ROTFL!!!!!!!

24. cindyvine profile image67
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

OMG, 33 views now and it's dropped to 22!  Maybe I might hit the magical zero by nightfall!

1. profile image0

Wow....that is crazy!! I'm sure it will go up eventually. (HubPages must've changed the formula for calculating HubScore, they scores have been fluxuating very differently lately.

2. BristolBoy profile image64
      BristolBoyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

21 now!

25. N.Q profile image62
    N.Qposted 15 years ago

I started with 80's and is still around that.. I am happy with it....

26. Kya profile image60
    Kyaposted 15 years ago

Thanks folks, for this discussion, it makes me feel a lot better and a lot less like something is completely wrong with my hubs. For me it has worked to leave a hub unpublished for a cope of days or unpublish it if I see a really low score.

27. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

Mine have been dipping into the 30s and 40s too when I first publish them, just in the last week or so.

Does a Hub Score matter? I mean does it impact anything or have any negative effect beyond the sinking feeling you get when you see the low number?

1. bgamall profile image69
      bgamallposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Pam, I like the Hubswine flu idea. Toooooo funny.

What I did as it went to 41 was to link the crap out of it. I linked it to all the hubs in the group. I linked some hubs in the group to this hub. But yes, mine used to go down no lower than 48, but they are really dropping lately. Bad for moral, lol. I feel woosey. Where is the Hubatamaflu smile

28. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 15 years ago

Bgamall, I've taken the same strategy as you. Giving the new hubs a lot of link juice. But we should always do that right?

I'm getting used to it. If it's happening to everyone, then it doesn't bother me.

29. tickledpear profile image61
    tickledpearposted 15 years ago

Mine dipped when I first created my hub, you should give it some time and it should go back up again.

30. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 15 years ago

I have had this happen too...and I just thought I was too controversial or opinionated....

31. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 15 years ago

the one I worked on the least got the most reviews, lol, who knew...it's just semantics...don't get caught up in numbers and focus on the passion that you began with...

32. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

So did hubpages ever announce if they have a new scoring system?  I just noticed it for the first time today.  I thought it was something I did too but I guess it is not.

Phew!  So how long did it take for the scores to increase.  I must say I am not impervious to the feeling of failure to see a score so low. lol

I do wonder though... I wrote about 5 hubs in the last couple of days, so I was expecting my profile score to drop but four of the new hubs started as they usually do, in the 40'-50's and those went up as the usual.

But the one I did last night started at 49, not unusual but went down instead of up.  So what is the difference?

33. Gennifer profile image54
    Genniferposted 14 years ago

It usually happens to my hubs. At first their score fells down but in a day score is above 50. So you need some patience, wait a bit!

34. Angel Of Love profile image62
    Angel Of Loveposted 14 years ago

Why is my ranking so low?

35. aniketgore profile image59
    aniketgoreposted 14 years ago

I seen a strenge thing. The overall score of all hubs remain same, I dont know why like this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)