What are the advantages of using Blogger....

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Aya Katz profile image81
    Aya Katzposted 15 years ago

... when most of your content is on Hubpages?

I noticed that recently a few of the Hubpages regulars have gotten together on Blogger for a joint project. What are the advantages of using Blogger as an ancillary site, when you have most of your content on Hubpages?

1. creativeMind profile image65
      creativeMindposted 15 years agoin reply to this

gets traffic from blogsearch

2. Mobile Phones profile image57
      Mobile Phonesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Free Blogging tools such as wordpress and blogger are great online tools. It is now a must to have either a website or a blog for any business development. Getting backlinks to your website or hubs is a kind of bonus. Of course monetizing and passive income cannot be ignored.

2. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

diversification is always good. As well as backlinks smile

3. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 15 years ago

Google owns Blogger. Google therefore hearts Blogger.

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The more you write, the more I like you! smile

1. lrohner profile image67
        lrohnerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Why thank you, ma'am! Ditto!!! smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've heard this so many times, and I honestly don't think it's true.  I tried a couple of blogs on Blogger and got virtually no traffic.

1. Lissie profile image77
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It used to be true - several years ago - my experience is the same blogging anywhere else BUT blogger will give me quicker indexing and quicker PR it thats what you want! If you don't care about monetization use wordpress.com

1. darkside profile image59
          darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, well I care about monetization, but not for every single thing I do. I've never had a wordpress.com hosted blog before. I think I might have to use one for the 30 lesser known emperors I'm planning on publishing.

2. Kya profile image60
        Kyaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

However, I needed to register to blogger via my google account, so there seems to be some kind of relationship between the two.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Yes, there is a relationship - Google does own Blogger.  However, I don't believe it gives Blogger any preference in terms of traffic.  Let's face it, they're better placed than anyone to know that Blogger isn't quality controlled and there's a lot of rubbish on there!

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 15 years ago

Free is always good. The blogs are easy to use. I just use them for backlinks right now. However, I've enabled google on them, and recently I've been making a pretty chunk of change with them as well.

Because I blog on them every day, google picks them up in less than an hour.

5. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 15 years ago

Blogs have an advantage cause you benefit from 100% of the clicks!

6. darkside profile image59
    darksideposted 15 years ago

I set up a blogger account for some quality backlinks to some of my hubs. eg: http://acta-senatus.blogspot.com

I published 30 blog entries about 30 Roman Generals. And from there I linked to various hubs I had made for my Capstone series on Roman Emperors.

I'm thinking of publishing 30 lesser known emperors soon, I'll do one a day for a whole month.

7. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 15 years ago

I have a Blogger account but I haven't used it for so long. Maybe I'll give it another try just to promote my hubs.

8. Kidgas profile image61
    Kidgasposted 15 years ago

I certainly like the idea of using blogger to provide backlinks and earn any additional clicks.  I just started one 2 days ago to discuss and track my online earning experience based on this forum post thinking that it is certainly a good idea (it at least isn't a bad one).

I am thinking about another one on a different topic (stock and option investing) to create the opportunity for more linking.  I have been contributing pretty heavily (for me at least) to a forum for the last two years and finally thought to myself, "Why create content for someone else when I should be doing it for myself?"  It costs nothing out of pocket (other than time) and requires no technical expertise which I don't have.  I think that eventually I could get some traffic and maybe even a few earnings out of my efforts.

PS-I have a link to my blog on my profile page.  There is only one post so far, but I will be adding one or two each week about what I am doing and learning with earning online.

9. Aya Katz profile image81

Thanks everybody for your input! I'm definitely considering starting a blog, but I'm still confused by the format. On Hubpages we write complete articles. A blog is sort of like a journal, isn't it? I'm a little worried about publishing half-baked thoughts and then regretting it.

Aya, I wrote a Hub about blogging if you'd like to check it out.
      Blogging was originally just an online diary, as you say - but if your goal is to make money, just keeping a journal won't do you any good (unless you have a very interesting life!). 

These days, you really need to choose a particular subject for your blog and keep your content relevant.  For me, the biggest problem with blogging is that you need to keep posting constantly to keep it high in the search engines.  Blog posts can be a lot shorter than Hubs, but it's still tough to produce so much material.

I'm a lot happier with my websites, which don't need updating so often.   Mind you I use a blogging software (Wordpress) to create them.

10. Aya Katz profile image81

Thanks, Marisa. I'll check out your hub about blogging.

11. rapmanual profile image41
    rapmanualposted 15 years ago

Blogger is great if you have a unique niche and great, updated content.

That's true of any site, and if your niche is that good, why not get your own domain name and make the most of it?

12. Greg Moore profile image61
    Greg Mooreposted 15 years ago

I dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but I also see having a blog (namely on blogger) one can link all of his or her hubs to it so that the reader may also learn more about her (satiate their curiosity with personal things not found on HP), and it is also an arena where you can be getting 100% of any adsense revenue generated there, no? Peace

Yes, you could do that on Blogger - but you can also cover a lot of ground on your HubPages profile, or you can create a bio on a Hub, or you could buy your own domain name (have you checked if gregmoore.com is available?) in case you get famous one day! 

Yes, but 100% of nothing is nothing, and Blogger blogs don't get traffic unless you work hard at promotion (unlike HubPages).

13. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

What webmaster tool?

1. Shil1978 profile image86
      Shil1978posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think he is referring to the Google Webmaster Tool feature, which you can access from your Google account.

...which has nothing to do with Blogger, you can use it with anything!

14. Karen Banes profile image71
    Karen Banesposted 15 years ago

I started a blog on blogger fairly recently. As already mentioned it's free, easy to use, and easily monitized (in that it's easy to install google adsense and other affiliate links/widgets). It's my intention to try it out and maybe get my own domain name in the future. Have to say the first month or so I had NO search engine traffic and had decided that google does not heart blogger as much as you might expect. However after less than two months I am starting to get search engine traffic. I suspect google hearts relevant,well-written,regularly updated, keyword rich content on blogger no more or less than anywhere else.

That's all true - but I would say, why not try out your ideas on HubPages instead of Blogger, because you'll get traffic much faster and therefore will be able to evaluate things faster?

Exactly my experience!

Well done - two months isn't long.

15. kiwi91 profile image65
    kiwi91posted 15 years ago

I haven't noticed any preference Google has towards Wordpress or Blogger, and I use both. I think Blogger is easier to use for beginners, and you can also monetize it with your Adsense account. Wordpress you have to upgrade to your own hosted account, which costs money. If you post regularly on either platform, it's not hard to make your site climb in the search rankings and get some decent traffic, especially if you split them up by niche.

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Let me repeat, Google owns Blogger. Therefore, Google hearts Blogger. High rankings and very quickly. The difference is that here on HP, you just need to create a page to get ranked. On Blogger, you need to create a full-fledged blog.

I can't say I've come across anyone else who say they've had that experience recently - in fact, quite the opposite.

And people whom I would classify as internet gurus have said that Google used to heart Blogger, but no longer.

I mean, Google knows that the average Blogger blog is rubbish, so why would they give it preference even if it is their own?  I suspect a really good blog will get high rankings quickly regardless of where it is.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)