fear factor?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (51 posts)
  1. HubChief profile image69
    HubChiefposted 15 years ago

What is one thing you are afraid of the most?

- Ghosts
    - Men
    - Women
    - Animals
    - Snakes
    - fill in the list

I'll compile the stats every weekend to give you update on fear factor. Woudl be very interesting to understand your mind map how that fear got developed?

1. Drew Breezzy profile image64
      Drew Breezzyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

government!!!!

2. HubChief profile image69

will start with mine... I am afraid of spooky feelings (ghosty). As a child watched a scary movie that haunts my dreams till date.

3. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 15 years ago

Heh...only got one...SPIDERS....yeesh. I could have a rattlesnake laying in a bed with me and it wouldn't phase me....yet if I see a tiny house spider I break into the chills.

4. martinrocks_88 profile image60
    martinrocks_88posted 15 years ago

I don't know if this is fear, but when ever anything falls on me(like cockroach or lizard )from the wall, i start shouting when i feel it crawling in my skin. i shake my body vigorously till it falls down and will smash it till i make a paste out of it.... lol

5. HubChief profile image69

Thanks.

Would you be comfortable sharing or remember how you guys developed that instinctive fear?

1. profile image0
      Sidney Rayneposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I honestly don't remember how I developed the fear....more when. I remember being in school at a very young age and seeing a nature film which spiders were in...when they showed the spider crawling I vividly remember getting goosebumps all over.

Not only have they scared me since a young age in reality...but in the dream world as well. Whenever I have one of the horrid "Trapped" dreams which are most likely due to some form of anxiety...spiders are involved.

I will be in a unfamiliar place and have to cross a certain area that happens to be occupied by a spider and his large ornate web....I almost always crawl under the web to cross over the area. When I look up I notice that all of the sudden I am surrounded by spider webs...large webs....and there is no escape from this area. Then I awake...

HubChiefposted 15 years agoin reply to this

the description is very live. reminds me of my scary nights similar feelings.

I get dreams when I want to speak and shout but cannot.. mostly ghostly situations are involved or I am being hunted by a snake...

seems people out there also feel this.. did you ever try finding how to get out of this situation and let this fear go?

1. profile image0

There is an odd dichotomy to this sort of dream....I have proverbially faced my fears as it were. Holding a tarantula at a pet store once...watching shows on spiders as well as approaching a large web with what appeared to be a variation of the garden spider which is very common here. Once I approached the web I put my face inches from the actual spider just to feel the chills creep up and down my spine...it was rather exhilarating to be honest.

In the end...I captured a moth which I promptly threw on the spiders web...I watched in awe as the spider gracefully danced across the web with both precision and speed and tackled the moth...wrapping him into a ball and then picking up the encased insect and placing him in the middle of the web..... most likely for a later feeding date.

The spider then returned to the area of his web which was damaged and mended the area....then returned to the center of his web where he awaited further action. All of this occurred within a matter of minutes. It was amazing....

In the end...I respect the species and their ability to operate as a predator...as well as the gracefulness and complexity to their entire being. However...I still have the same fear regardless of this encounter. For hours afterward I was on edge...itching....took a shower....put new clothes on...still had the chills.

Perhaps spiders are destined to instill fear in me...I think everybody has one thing that always lurks in the shadows in this same manner.

bravo that you faced.

I started watching ghosthunters to try to get out of it and accept the fact but it got worse. I can no more watch scary movies at all.  bring nightmares.

i am wishing to stop having those nights when I can not sleep.

1. profile image0

Hmmm...so I take it you are actually afraid of physical ghosts or just the concept of them? Have you ever experienced paranormal activity in person?

6. HubChief profile image69

I have never experienced one however listened to lot of them. When I watched "ghosthunters" series on TV, i believed it religiously. I am afraid of the concept I guess. I am afraid when I am lonely at home in one room and hear unfamiliar voice in other. it coudl be creeking of doors or something, but send me sweating.

1. Lisa HW profile image64
      Lisa HWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if this is of any help to you; but when my mother and I would go to the cemetery and she'd say she didn't want to go alone; she'd always say how she wasn't afraid of the people who were buried there, but of people like purse-snatchers lurking behind the trees.  She'd always say, "These souls wouldn't hurt anyone."  She had lost enough people in her life that she had come to feel as if any "lurking spirits" anywhere would certainly not try to harm her.

Based on that type of reasoning, I figure if there are any spirits out there the ones who would be in our homes are probably the people that were closest to us.  Strange spirits with axes to grind probably go haunt whoever it is they have an "issue" with.  If there's such a thing as spirits lurking around, I don't think people who were kind and loving souls while alive turn spooky when die.

7. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 15 years ago

Ah....well let me suggest facing this fear...there is many haunted "trips" you can take in most areas...at least here in the south.

Perhaps this is the presence for you that I mentioned...that lurks in the shadows as your fear...perhaps there is no way to completely overcome it as I have not been able to overcome mine. However...I do not fear spiders in the sense that I feel they may "come to get me"....essentially I guess you could say they creep me out.

It sounds to me like you have a true fear of paranormal activity that has seemingly overcome you in a way. Having a fear is rather refreshing....facing it in some regard may not help you to overcome it...but at least it will help you understand it.

thanks for this useful suggestion. I'd try that and post my experience.

8. world of the wise profile image67
    world of the wiseposted 15 years ago

i fear snakes more than anything, then women

9. E. A. Wright profile image73
    E. A. Wrightposted 15 years ago

cockroaches

10. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

There are a lot of things I don't like but don't fear either.  (Bugs are creepy, but I'm not afraid of them.)

My "thing" is drunk and speeding drivers.  I love driving, and it doesn't affect my living normally in any way; but in the back of my mind, when I'm out, I never quite know when/if some lunatic will come out of the blue and make my life a mess or else end it.  There's no big mystery to where the back-of-my-mind fear came from.  I was in a very serious accident (ages ago) and I "over-learned" the fact that we can be going along, minding our business, and just have some lunatic come out of the blue and kill someone.  I remind myself that people go their whole lives without ever having such a thing happen.  I'm not as bad when I'm driving, because I know how watchful I am.  When other people are happily driving I'm actually afraid because I don't think they're being as watchful as they should be.  I've read that when people are in life-threatening situations something goes on with the hippocampus and amygdala that kind of "stamps" the circumstances in their brain and can bring up the emotional response to the situation to some degree.  Understanding where it comes from, though, doesn't help.  I've learned to just manage it (for the most part).

I'd imagine a lot of other people's fears could have their roots in that same kind of "hippocampus/amygdala/emotional response" thing.

11. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 15 years ago

Death. I fear death the most. In fact, I fear death very much. I always think about what happens to me when I die. Will I still exist? Or will I see blackness eternally? That very thought scares me. But then again, death is not my greatest fear. The thought of being dead, that is, fearing death, is my greatest fear. So fear itself is my biggest fear. Has your mind exploded yet?

1. profile image0

What if I were to tell you that black is actually only the initial plane of death? According to NDE's....afterward there are many other color variations depending on the amount of time your brain is deprived of oxygen....Dark gray...dark blue....lighter blue....then of course you near a white plane...which supposedly no mortal soul can pass into and ever come back into this realm....

Has your mind exploded yet?

2. Lisa HW profile image64

I just tell myself it's most likely just a matter of "lights out" (like when we're asleep, only without the dreams).  I figure, if it turns out there's something else later, it will probably be peaceful, maybe even great.  Not being entirely unaware of the possibility that it could be an awful place, I choose to put that possibility out of my mind and focus, instead, on the life we have while we're here.  I lean toward thinking it's just "lights out" without an awareness of anything.

12. Jellyrug profile image61
    Jellyrugposted 15 years ago

I fear fart evidence more than anything else.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/Jellyrug/farts.jpg

13. Pamda Man profile image58

Exactly. But I cannot stop imagining the horrible place after my death. Being an athiest is not that good.

It's not for me to make guesses about what might help (and yet I will do just that  smile ), but I'd think you either have to settle on the idea that there's nothing afterward whatsoever (so it won't be horrible); or else you could choose to start having faith, if for no other reason than to find some peace of mind while you're here.

A third option might be to continue not believing but assume that if there's someone "out there" that being must understand human beings' not knowing what to think and would forgive people for not knowing what to believe.  I'd think if there's nothing after we die then we should focus on life here while we have it.  If there's something afterward I'd think the time to focus on that is when we get there, because we can't deal with what we haven't yet encountered.  I don't see any reason it would be an awful place (unless we've intentionally been violent/cruel people, in which case that would seem to go against being a positive force in the world).  I don't know - I just see us as part of Nature (like the leaves on the trees that die each Fall and get replaced by new ones each Spring).  I just see death as part of Nature's cycle and can't believe (no matter what, if anything, comes later) that there's horror and awfulness once we die.

1. Pamda Man profile image58
        Pamda Manposted 15 years agoin reply to this

People have beliefs. We are born with them. Our beliefs will never change, and we will change ourselves so they have the same beliefs as we do. But sadly, everyone is doing so, so nobody succeeds. My belief is an athiest, and my belief is that the world is dark and gloomy, that there's nothing good. I try very hard to change that attitude, but as 'Pandas live a long time. None of you has ever seen a dead panda.' say, I realized it was impossible to change my belief.

14. Lisa HW profile image64

Pamdaman, people do all have their beliefs; but it is possible for any of us to decide to change our beliefs in a lot of ways.  It's one thing to be atheist, and you aren't likely to change that (nor am I suggesting you do) unless you find it doesn't "work for you" at some point.  The dark-and-gloomy-world thing may be another thing.  There's no doubt the world is a rough place with lots of rotten stuff in it, but it's not all dark and gloomy.  It just isn't.  People who only see the dark and gloomy stuff in the world, or people who see more "dark and gloomy" than may be warranted often have depression.  I'm not in a position to even suggest you may have depression, so I'll speak in general terms:  People with depression can feel anxious and gloomy; and you're right, it isn't within their power to change how they think/feel while under the influence of "depression chemicals".  Thinking a lot about death is something else people with depression often do.

You said somewhere else on here that you are a "troll".  Maybe you were joking.  Maybe not.  Either way, I figure it's worth mentioning depression in case anyone else identifies with what you've written.

15. Pamda Man profile image58

First of all, I don't have depression. smile

But, what I feel towards the world is probably because I know too much. I rather be ignorant than be like this now. It's like the rich and famous. Almost all of them want to get rid of their money. If you know what I mean.

And, no, we cannot change our beliefs. It's impossible. It's what we are destined to do. Millions of people die for religion in the past, because they believe that they are correct and their 'God' is on their side.

On a side note, my words aren't meant to be taken literally.

'Pandas live a long time. None of you has ever seen a dead panda.'

Pandas of course does not live a long time. And I yet to find someone who can decode what I'm expressing.

I have made lots of riddles in my life. Most of them I have forgotten. I only remember this one now.

Perhaps it is better that human beings have not evolved. Why can't we be carefree like the other animals, without knowing any fear. Intelligence is destructive.

16. Lisa HW profile image64

I'm guessing (could be wrong, I know) that you are young.  I don't think seeing the world as all gloomy has anything to do with "knowing too much", because I know plenty about what's ugly in this world and am not an ignorant person.  I am, however, old enough to have grown children and to have been through enough rotten stuff in my life to have come to the realization that even if we live to be 110 life is shockingly fleeting.  Negative thinking will affect any good health we've been fortunate enough to have.  In other words, it behooves us to use our intelligence and reasoning ability to figure out how to keep from wallowing in gloom. Part of maturity is being able to know how rotten things can be in the world but also being able to process that, put it in perspective, and find a way to also see the beauty and good things in this life too.

As for riddles, I don't speak or write in riddles; and I'm not inclined to want to try to figure out what someone else is trying to express in their riddles.   I don't lack intelligence.  It's just that I have seen so much about what is awful about this world I don't have the patience or time for anything but straight talk.

17. Pamda Man profile image58

No, I've seen a lot in this world. I tried very hard to change my attitude towards this world. But failed. As I've said, you can't change anyone. This is my belief, you won't be able to change me. Thanks for the chat. smile

18. Lisa HW profile image64

Pamda, wasn't trying to change you - just offer a different perspective.  Originally, I was, however, hoping to ease your mind about fearing horrible things after death.  hmm

Sorry if I sounded strong at my words. I'm not. smile It's just me. Forget about me. Let me perish. I'm just posting my views on death.

Although I'm often up for a conversation or debate, I don't ever take anything on here all that seriously once the conversation is done.  smile

19. profile image0
    trivedi88posted 15 years ago

i fear from **lizard**

20. trish1048 profile image68
    trish1048posted 15 years ago

Death, spiders, snakes, heights, tornadoes, hurricanes, t-storms/lightning, wasps/hornets/bees.

21. puppascott profile image68
    puppascottposted 15 years ago

Heights would have to be my biggest fear. I don't when or shy it developed, but they make me very uncomfortable. It's strange, however, because I love roller coasters and any thrill ride that involves heights. It would take some serious self-convincing to do the bungee thing, but I have skydived. I think that perhaps the scale may have something to do with it. When you dive out of a plane, your frame of referance is different.

1. profile image0

How true....the beauty that is jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

22. profile image0
    annvansposted 15 years ago

I fear God...almost fear spiders

Why would you fear God? I thought God was supposed to be kind and loving. Isn't it?

1. profile image0
        annvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Because I feel God is the one who can bust my butt if I act up or do wrong.

I see.

23. Ladybird33 profile image68
    Ladybird33posted 15 years ago

I am afraid of heights, deathly afraid of heights.

24. HubChief profile image69

great.. so everyone is taking out their fear factor one by one. Stay tuned for updated stats on fear factor.. would compile over the weekend.

25. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 15 years ago

Deep water...almost drowned twice as a child.  Hey, but working on getting over that!

26. HubChief profile image69

today i was scared of losing. with my other paranormal fears, i am also fearful of losing in what I do and so I make a lot of effort.

You won't lose anything if you hadn't gained anything. Only humans sense fear, because they follow destructivism.

27. HubChief profile image69

well we are trying to find the fears we have inside and how they cropped up.

By discussing, could be one way to share and relieve.

it is normal to have fear and ok to express. the advices are definitely helpful.

a normal human mind lives with all emotions, fear being one of them. Is it unfair to share fear, are you fearful to discuss your fear?

28. Pamda Man profile image58

The only thing that fears us is fear itself.

29. HubChief profile image69

interesting responses. Here is the analysis

total unique responses: 15
    unserious respinse : 1
    multi fear people 1 ~ 3 classes of fears

So analysis of 16 (2 additional fears from same hubber)
    divided the remaining items into 4 categories
    -----------------------------------------------
    living  creatures : 7 (43%)
    percieved powers  : 4 (25%)
    visual experience : 3 (19%)
    Humans            : 2 (13%)
    Also divided the source into two categories
    Conceptual Fear : 7 (44%)
    Evidenced Fear  : 9 (56%)

Great responses.. Let us see how many more can share this week.. By the way I enjoyed reading everyone's post here. two long discussions were awesome source of 2 strong view points. Keep it up.

Next weekend would be compilation from all of it. I am maintaing spreadsheets. we had total 46 posts in last 2 days.

30. CEN7777 profile image60
    CEN7777posted 15 years ago

snakes. Even i cannot see them in movies

31. HubChief profile image69

hope everyone read the stats?

32. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 15 years ago

for me it is big dogs as when i use to live in the country area I was playing out side and a pack of wild dogs came into our back yard and chased me. where i use to live as a child people just dumped there dogs there .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)