jump to last post 1-28 of 28 discussions (28 posts)

Would you prefer other hubbers notify you of spelling errors or not?

1. dan-1 profile image77
    dan-1posted 6 years ago

Would you prefer other hubbers notify you of spelling errors or not?

We all make mistakes from time to time so where do you stand on this?
    Would it offend you?
    Would you be thankful?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5349543_f260.jpg

2. J.S.Matthew profile image84
    J.S.Matthewposted 6 years ago

Absolutely! I prefer that they notify me through e-mail instead of through the comments as to keep it private. Everybody makes mistakes and we are all here to help each other.

JSMatthew~

3. chanroth profile image74
    chanrothposted 6 years ago

Absolutely! I would be thankful because everyone make mistake. This well help me advance my English and better myself so that I won't make the same mistake twice. If I continue writing without learning my mistake, I would be a no brainer. But I would prefer to email me then to post it on comment. It would gain more privacy.

4. profile image0
    Sunnie Dayposted 6 years ago

Oh yes without a doubt...Getting an email letting me know.. was so nice as it gave me the chance to correct it...

5. Cogerson profile image82
    Cogersonposted 6 years ago

I think telling people of errors is the thing to do....I am very grateful when people let me know of my mistakes.

6. BukowskiBabe profile image83
    BukowskiBabeposted 6 years ago

I don't know. I have a feeling that I'd keep em fairly busy.

7. profile image0
    Suramya.Kposted 6 years ago

I just contacted a fellow hubber, but in the email. I don't like being notified in the comments.

8. Josh Gerry profile image86
    Josh Gerryposted 6 years ago

I have to agree with a majority of answers here. A quick e-mail suggesting typo corrections and such are better than a public comment on the hub itself.

9. MangBerto08 profile image82
    MangBerto08posted 6 years ago

Yes. I would be thankful to that person for his/her concern.

10. TicksProfessional profile image61
    TicksProfessionalposted 6 years ago

I'll be very thankful if someone notifies me of my errors. Constructive criticism is always welcome. When I find a spelling mistake in a hub, I generally send the author a private message.

11. Kimberly Turner profile image78
    Kimberly Turnerposted 6 years ago

I agree with everyone! I think it is very helpful to have someone point out any errors and an e-mail is a great way to do it. It is very hard to proofread your own work because you always think of what you want to say and sometimes read over things that are in the actual article/writing. It is always helpful to have peers/hubbers help out with that!

12. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 6 years ago

Yes. When someone points at your mistakes, it will help you because you will not commit the same mistakes again. Not only the spelling mistakes but criticism on what is lacking in the writing and what could lighten up will help you grow as a writer. We won't learn from our mistakes until someone tells what blunder we committed.

13. Alex Simring profile image69
    Alex Simringposted 6 years ago

Any positive comments, post publicly. Any negative ones, including spelling mistakes, private email!

14. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

I would love hubbers to contact me privately via email to let me know if I have made any type of  typo-it is not uncommon for me to type a correctly spelled word that isn't the word I wanted-a product of typing with one hand. I want my writing to be the best it can be and if someone spots an error I have missed I want to  be told. But it must be private, not inthe comments section.

15. fastfreta profile image77
    fastfretaposted 6 years ago

By all means, but notify me privately. I accept any help I can get to improve my writing skills, which I feel is lacking polish, so correct away.

16. Krysanthe profile image94
    Krysantheposted 6 years ago

What a great question.  I've often wondered myself what people would want.  I'd like people to let me know privately that I had an error, but I didn't know how others would feel.  It seems like the majority agree with me.  Not that I would be the *typo police*...but I do see some from time to time that are so blatent and distract from a well written hub.

17. myi4u profile image61
    myi4uposted 6 years ago

I would love to have someone (anyone) letting me know about the mistakes that I have made in my hubs. I rather know the truth instead of just hearing all the praises.

18. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

not in the least. i don't care if i spell words wrong and if someone wants to point it out, they can go read something else.

19. kittythedreamer profile image98
    kittythedreamerposted 6 years ago

I don't mind occasionally but if that's all they ever do then no thanks!

20. tamarindcandy profile image57
    tamarindcandyposted 6 years ago

Sure, why not? I don't really mind having my mistakes pointed out - we all have to take criticism!

21. Mamelody profile image61
    Mamelodyposted 6 years ago

I think in this dying age if you're going to write and not use spell & grammar check, then really shouldn't be a writer at all!! But I wouldn't really want anyone to correct my grammar unless am doing an essay or something but on hubpages no!! It's why I re-check and use spell check & grammar errors to my work several times before I hit the publish button.

22. Moms-Secret profile image83
    Moms-Secretposted 6 years ago

If it is done with good taste, I don't mind.  It is not, however, an invitation for rude comments.  I like to spread joy and want the same.
    I write my hubs late at night and am constantly editing it after so I don't mind the help.

23. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 6 years ago

Yes, because it would stop me making the same error in future.  Sometimes, it is easy to miss mistakes, because we read what we expect to see, rather than what is actually there.

24. ThoughtSandwiches profile image81
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 6 years ago

This question popped up 24 hours ago and since then I've been sitting here paranoid, "Is this really about me?  Are they specifically waiting for an answer from me??"  Checking my posts for that offending red line...(no...only the ones I want), comma stuff?...um...well comma rules are for the weak....still...I best respond..." 

I will join the longer line that advocates smearing praise like butter on a turkey in the actual post...but slip me "the ugly" via email...and I would greatly appreciate it.  But please...don't make "fixing" me your life's work...we both know you have better use for your time.  smile

25. profile image0
    potsposted 6 years ago

I would definitely prefer other hubbers tell me I made a mistake, I think that would be very helpful.

26. Taleb80 profile image81
    Taleb80posted 6 years ago

I will be very thankful especially that English is my second language, I hope s/he will tell me about any kind of mistake.
    We are here one community & should learn from each other.
    Thanks for everyone would like to tell me my mistakes.

27. vocalcoach profile image97
    vocalcoachposted 6 years ago

When I come across a hub with a misspelled word it irritates me. Having said that, if the hubber is from another country it's fine as they are learning our language.

I would welcome being corrected for a misspelled word. After all, we are growing and developing as writers and shame on us if we put out material with mistakes in it.

I vote a welcomed yes!

28. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 4 years ago

I think it depends in their tone of "voice" in how they point it out.  For ex. "Learn how to spell!" would be annoying.  With my creative writing I appreciate suggestions to make a story better-whether it is something inconsistent in my plot or something awkward or doesn't make sense-for ex. in a story I wrote something like "It was a clear day.  The sky was blue with just a few small clouds.  Looking up, she could easily see the big dipper."  Oops!

working