jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)

What can Google Alerts be used for?

1. missolive profile image95
    missoliveposted 6 years ago

What can Google Alerts be used for?

2. homesteadbound profile image89
    homesteadboundposted 6 years ago

It is hard to be vigilant on the entire world wide web when it comes to protecting your work. In fact it is impossible, or is it. This article shows you how to use Google Alerts to protect your work on the internet. read more

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image96
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

I will follow this so I can learn, too!  Thanks for asking!

4. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Ok I followed it a few minutes after you created it but since there aren't any answers yet, I'm answering so that my followers see this question. Looking forward to some answers as to how its used.

5. tehgyb profile image84
    tehgybposted 6 years ago

One use would be to follow certain issues or topics. You could enter any search term you wish, Google will poll that search term and send new returns to your email.
    For instance, I could add a search for "Supreme Court Affirmative Action" to my Alerts.
    Now let's say tomorrow afternoon there is an update to the situation, maybe one of the judges makes a statement and a blogger or newspaper writes about it.
    That new page will sent to my email so I can read about it, without having to consciously perform the search all over again and sift through older results that I've already seen.

Hope I've explained this well enough!

6. ausis profile image80
    ausisposted 6 years ago

I use Google alerts for SEO & traffic I set an alert for a subject I want to do then see what I get in results. I check what the sites used for keywords etc... In cases of high traffic I set the alert to weekly so am not getting an email every day or minute or so. With a hot topic like weight loss thousands of queries daily happen.

You can also use them for you favorite blogs movie stars or whatever

7. LuisEGonzalez profile image87
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

Google alerts can be very useful but it really depends on your topic. For example I have been using it for about a year to get daily emails in regards to anything photography related. Once an article, news,new product, reviews, books or anything that is associated with photography happens Google will send me an email. In my case it has helped me with several ideas for photography hubs.

8. randomcreative profile image92
    randomcreativeposted 6 years ago

I didn't know the answer to this myself, but I appreciate all of the helpful answers!

9. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

Thanks for asking this question.  I got a lot of useful information from fellow hubbers.

10. CWanamaker profile image98
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

Wouldn't it be great if you could receive daily (or even instant) email updates of any subject that you can think of?  Well with Google Alerts, now you can! read more

11. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 6 years ago

Thanks Missolive
    Good question and lots of new answers and tips.
    LOL Ghaelach

12. Dennis AuBuchon profile image84
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 6 years ago

I use google alerts for many things.   One is topics for which I have an interest and when I receive them they sometimes provide me with ideas for articles on issues which need to be addressed.  Other items is to track activity on my name, my website and articles amoung other items.  Sometimes I get alerts for my name which is attached to articles I have written.  This lets me know that someone has either searched for the article or has read the article.

Google alerts is a great benefit for keeping informed on topics you have an interest and I have received much benefit over the years since I began using this tool.

13. ikechiawazie profile image60
    ikechiawazieposted 6 years ago

I use Google alerts to keep track of topics especially in my country, Nigeria. With Google alerts, it gives you a list of searches based on keywords.

14. mesacleanpools profile image60
    mesacleanpoolsposted 6 years ago

For spamming someone else's email smile

You can sign them up for multiple alerts and if they aren't computer savvy it will likely take them a while to deactivate the alerts

15. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 6 years ago

I have set up alerts for my own name, and my user names, so I know right away when people are talking about me, and my family name, in case some genealogy gems show up.

I also set up alerts for companies I work for, and schools my daughter goes to, so I can keep up with happenings in those places.

I also have alerts for special topics that are of interest to me, but are rare enough that I won't get inundated with too many, but I see from the other answers that you don't have to choose rare topics, so I've learned something here.

working