Our eccentricities

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)
  1. kwalters profile image61
    kwaltersposted 14 years ago

Fans of "Everyone Loved Raymond" knows Robert always touched his food to his chin before taking it to his lips.  We all have these odd little eccentricities, and thought it might be fun to share some.
    For me, well, it's a little hard to admit for a grown up man, but I like spoons.  I know we grown ups use forks for almost everything when we eat, except soup and ice cream of course, but there are some foods that don't really lend themselved to poking or scooping, like English peas and elbow macaroni.  Personally, I'd much prefer to use the best tool for the job and give myself a spoon. Then, I don't have to go poking or balancing those little peas.
    Anyway, that's me.  What about you?

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I usually have a specific utensil in mind for every meal, sometimes 2 utensils.  Each food suggests large spoon, small spoon, large fork or small fork.

1. wyanjen profile image69
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you deciding what to cook based on which utensil you want to use, or the other way around smile
        I have one spoon that I only use for eating ice cream.

Other way around.  The food dictates what utensil. I'm partial to small fork, big spoon.  I don't think I ever used big spoons for eating until I lived in Turkey.

I'm a small fork person also.
            I have one particular bowl that is like a mini pickle crock with handles. It's cool lol
            I'll make a big ol' pot of chili from time to time, just so I can use my crock-bowl. (That's why I asked you the question, I was hoping I'm not the only one who does this)
            smile

Do it proudly wyanjen.  My brother has a saying about me:  You just like things like you like them Vern.  (We call each other Vern, know what I mean?)

i DO know what you mean, Vern! lol that's cool smile
                It is crock-bowl weather right now... but instead of making chili I'm going to try a recipe I just found in a hub tonight. Chicken soup! that sounds crock-bowl worthy!

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

kwalters, I just read your profile and anyone going there must be forewarned to have any beverage completely swallowed before reading, vERY funny. smile

2. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Mine is staples I have to line everything up according to size and shape in our pantry making certain that all labels face front at all times. Same applies in the laundry room, bathrooms etc. one would say I have OCD. lolololo great question. smile

3. wyanjen profile image69
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

When I'm cutting with a t-square I tap the blade on the light table two times before I cut.
    Not so much an OCD thing. It's a habit I picked up after I sliced the heck out of my hand because I wasn't holding the blade right. Now I can't stop myself from doing it.  tongue

I also can't leave my apartment without holding my keys up and looking at them as I shut the door.

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Funny that you say that , I always look at the key at least twice making certain that they are in my hand before I leave , good grief we are nuts! big_smile

We may be nuts, but we are nuts who are never locked out lol

Now that is true!!! hehehehehe big_smile

Full disclosure:
            That habit didn't start until recently. I'd only lived here for one week, totally new to the building, and I locked myself out on the way to work.
            The only thing I could do was call my ex!!! He still had an extra set of keys for my car.
            Not a good start on my new single life! lol pretty humiliating.

Do you find yourself, when you are shopping, buying things only because you need to keep your pantry just the right way? Or do you just organize what is in there already...
            I have a friend who buys food strictly to match the alphabetical labels in her pantry. Drives us both nuts.
            She'll just need to buy a can of any kind of food that starts with the letter "C" for instance.

I bet that didn't feel to good when you had to call the ex, grrrrr

I organize what is in there however I put it in order based on carrots, peas, green beans, etc. when I shop I also take the groceries out of the cart and organize them as I go. Frozen foods, fresh vegetables, cleaning supplies etc. sounds nuts but I do it. I tried not to do it one time and I felt so stressed out and became agitated because the bag person did not place my cans in double bags, it was horrible. sad I know I am OCD and sometimes it is stressful. smile

There are good sides to it though I bet. smile
                You just gotta roll on with it...

4. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Did someone say eccentric? Boy oh boy have been called that so many times and loving it I must say.
    Probably a pretty eccentric thing I did was dress up as a little Greek woman I padded my clothes right up to beef myself out like a bull-frog, donned a short brown wig, black glasses and door knocked my neighbourhood posing as a JW, in practise for a role in an upcoming theatre performance.,,,, that I wanted to perfect....
    Hahahaha you want to know how many doors slammed in my face...ROFL

lol

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol no shame have I.....indeed...ROFL.

5. mistywild profile image60
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

I can't leave the a room without flipping the light switch on and off. neutral

6. Hope Wilbanks profile image67
    Hope Wilbanksposted 14 years ago

My husband prefers to eat with a spoon, too. wink

I have an affinity for notebooks/journals and ink pens. At one point, I had a stash of blank notebooks in a box in the bottom of my closet, because I would buy a new one every time I saw a pretty one I liked, whether I needed it or not. (I ended up giving a bunch of those away.) Purple ink pens are another vice of mine. I love a purple pen and have probably bought every different one I've seen at Wal-Mart.

7. RedSonja94 profile image61
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

I have to have my keys in my pocket when I walk out the door.  I also have to check my mail as soon as the mailman comes or it drives me nuts.

kwaltersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My keys have to be in my front left pocket, my change in my front right pocket and my wallet in my rear right pocket.  I don't know why they make pants with left rear pockets.

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I have a thing about towels and folding them perfectly, and then they're stacked according to colors in the linen closet. I will actually move them if one is out of place or if my son puts the towels away. (it does happen...)

another one at night, my bedroom is totally dark, closet door has to be closed, and I place a somewhat sheer black scarf over the clock.hmm

kwaltersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My wife won't let me help with the laundry because everything must be folded exactly the correct way.  Even if I fold them exactly as she does, it's not the same.  I think it's a control issue.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is rather strange. sometimes just to throw myself off, I'll fold one the wrong way. for me it came from the way I was raised.  my mom taught me all the house stuff and even had me iron pillowcases... hmm

9. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

My grocery list has to be made out in the same way the store is laid out.  I get completely thrown if they reorganize the grocery store.

I need a notebook and a good pen next to my chair at all times.

Each person in my house has their own laundry basket, I fold directly out of the dryer and put their clothes in their baskets. Towels have their own basket too.

Shall I go on? LOL

10. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I cut my nails everyday even if it grows only a bit>

I dont want to see any dishes in the sink, I wash it everytime somebody puts something in the sink,

for laundry< i see to it that I wash twice a day, dont want seeing used clothes.

OC I am,,,

11. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I have one spoon that I always use when I need one.  It came with a bunch of stuff my husband brought home out of remodel. 

It drives me nuts that the canner holds 7 jars.  Why 7?

I love paper supplies!  Blank notebooks, pens, markers, erasers, white out, plastic sleeves, glue stick, paper clips, note pads... -- working at Staples would not produce a paycheck for me!

12. Catherine R profile image59
    Catherine Rposted 14 years ago

I can see I need some of you guys to come and sort out my pantry and my linen cupboard!  You would all have a field day here.......  My only quirk is that I must have my morning coffee out of a particular cup - but otherwise I am a slob with no tidying OCD tendencies whatsoever.

13. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

I don't usually own up to this but I really like milk with any dish that has spaghetti sauce.  I know, I know - a grown woman, why not wine?  and wine I certainly do enjoy but if I'm at home (away from prying eyes) and after the wine I consumed while making the sauce,  I really want milk with dinner.  Have no idea why...just a strange habit.

14. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I totally love to cook and am a foodie addict. But when I cook, I can't sit at the table and eat until the kitchen is all cleaned up. It just sort of gives me indigestion knowing there's a mess in the kitchen. So I wind up sweeping, washing pots and pans and all of that before I eat!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)