What program do you use to remove Viruses?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. N. Ramius profile image73
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

I'm fighting with my laptop to remove a vile web browser hijacker Trojan. While I hopefully clear that off soon and install some kick virus butt software to do it, what programs do you use to remove your viruses, malware, adware and the like?

1. mandybeau1 profile image58
      mandybeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used a free web scan anitivirus, and it got rid of the Trojans like magic, unfortunately I cannot remember the name it was like avante....... maybe someone will know!!!!!!!!!!!!  I remembered Avast, just saw it above after I remembered it. Duh,. But make sure that after it goes into the infected chest, you don't accidentally let it out again, it seems worse, second time round.

2. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

We use Norton 360 and Webroot at our house.  About a month ago, my laptop picked up a virus that disabled Kaspersky!  Ultimately we had to bypass the hard drive with an external hard drive to get rid of the damn thing and restore my computer.

3. Jery profile image60
    Jeryposted 14 years ago

I use Avast and Malwarebytes, I learned about them at a site called Geekstogo.com It's a forum where a bunch of volunteer computer "geeks" are just waiting to help you with your computer woes. I even wrote a hub about them http://hubpages.com/hub/How-I-Cleaned-My-Computer complete with working links.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Avast

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I run avg8 free. spybot resident and spyware Terminator shield.
      Any trojan I go to snapfiles and grab a free fixer. smile

5. Kmadhav profile image60
    Kmadhavposted 14 years ago

Quick Heal Anti virus good software

6. Jery profile image60
    Jeryposted 14 years ago

Avast continually monitors your computer and tells you if you're trying to go somewhere where you will be exposed to a trojan. I used to use Norton, and a few others I can't remember the names of, but always seemed to have problems. I got the paid version of Avast about a year ago and haven't had any trouble at all!

7. N. Ramius profile image73
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

Well I blew up my Laptop and trapped it in an infinite Safe Mode blue scree of death loop.

For those of you tech savvy, I tried activating Safe Mode using F8, got blue screen errors so booted Windows normally, went to Run->Msconfig->Boot in Safe Mode...Screwed myself Oh Yeah!

The result being I still get the blue error but now can't even enter Windows normally cause when I select the option I get the same Blue Screen error cause I changed the config to say Boot in Safe Mode which it can't do due to an error.

Now I don't know what to do so I posted at BleepingComputer.Hopefully they will help me save my machine without losing all my documents

So now I'm going to bed. This post was a quasi-rant/cry for help/update of my situation.

I shall conclude with saying:

People who make computer viruses should be tortured, burned and thrown down an endless pit to think about what they did for the short remainder of their lives.

I'll have to look into some of these programs. I have heard of some, but not all.

1. Jery profile image60
      Jeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For sure go check out http://www.geekstogo.com I think you'll be glad you did!!

2. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like what happened to me.  We removed the hard drive and used an external hard drive enclosure.  Then scanned that drive using another computer's anti-virus.  Basically scan for viruses without starting your OS.

8. spease profile image59
    speaseposted 14 years ago

Spyware doctor is the best program I have found for cleaning it off.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

McAfee

10. profile image0
    Hannah L Scottposted 14 years ago

I have tried a bunch of them. I find Avast! to be the best, and it did not suck all my laptop resources (as the others did). The recently updated AVG9Free takes second on my list. I will be getting a new laptop soon that will be guarded by Avast! Norton ransacked my computer like a worm. So it is low on my list, along with McAfee (resource hog) and Kaspersky is at the bottom (I couldn't stand it... It opened the door to rootkit viruses and malware, as if throwing a party in my laptop and the cost was on me).

Just my two cents of an opinion on anti virus protection.

As for getting a program that will go in and weed out the virus and allow you to delete the stupid thing... That would be Avast!

11. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

AVG paid for full version plus Windows Defender and Spybot

12. Brian Leighton profile image58
    Brian Leightonposted 14 years ago

I have found Trend Micro Internet Security to be an excellent anti-virus solution over the last number of years. My PC has never crashed nor have I experienced the 'Blue Screen of Death' whilst using it. A friend had Norton and actually suffered the aforementioned 'Blue Screen of Death' in February of this year and I fixed her PC by running Windows Repair Installation which just replaced all the OS files and left the Applications intact along with their User Files.

Before I started the Repair Install, I removed the Hard Drive and backed it up in case things went wrong!

AVG 9 (Subscription) is probably my 2nd favourite solution for anti-virus software.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)