Do your friends and/or family know you are a hubber or are you anonymous? Why or

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (53 posts)
  1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image94
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years ago

Do your friends and/or family know you are a hubber or are you anonymous? Why or Why not?

2. RunningDeer profile image69
    RunningDeerposted 11 years ago

My sisters and my mom know I am a Hubber and they occasionally read my stories when I pin them on Pinterest.  Otherwise no one else in my family reads my work.  I don't know why I haven't really told extended family.  I guess I just want to make it myself and gain a new family in Hubworld.

Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  Only my husband and my daughter know that I do.

3. sassydee profile image70
    sassydeeposted 11 years ago

some do because they stalk me and many don't because they don't  know what it is.  the ones' that do is because I asked them to check out my hubs.

I've thought about telling a few friends, but am still to shy to do that yet.  Maybe one day.

4. Cristale profile image82
    Cristaleposted 11 years ago

I am trying to keep my online life separate from my personal life to avoid drama and crazy people, like stalkers. It's not that important, but defining a line between my two worlds helps me to relieve stress.

I totally understand.

5. thisiknow profile image62
    thisiknowposted 11 years ago

Currently my family and friends do not know that I am a hubber. I feel this way I am able to write one hundred percent what I think and feel along with what I have been through... no one feels exposed and I don't have to censor anything.

I definitely understand the need for privacy when writing.

6. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 11 years ago

Many of them do...................most of those are more interested in their own pursuits.

Interesting.  My guess is that if I ever told anyone besides my immediate family they'd be more interested in their own pursuits too.

7. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 11 years ago

Everyone I know knows I am a Hubber. I mean really why keep this a secret? Is it high school all over again? Being a writer and writing on Hubpages shows character and sometimes shows people your willing to try something new to make money, or something new to do as a hobby. Regardless of why you write hiding the fact your a hubber is completely ridiculous!

If you are unfortunate enough to actually be criticized for writing online then I would say take a lyric out of one of my favorite songs In Da Club - 50 Cent:

"I'mma tell you what Banks told me: "cuz go ahead, switch the style up
    If the (people) hate then let them hate and watch the money pile up"

~thranax~

Interesting.  Not sure if I agree with being worried if people like what I write, maybe that anonymity helps with the creative process.  Good answer and thoughtful.

8. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Most don't know. It is just a part of myself that I don't tend to share. I love my family very much but none of them has ever really been interested in my writing or other hobbies for that matter.  So this I do for me.

I like that you do it for yourself!

2. teaches12345 profile image77
      teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am like duffsmom, I don't really share unless they happen to see my posts on FB, Pin Interest, etc.  I don't know how much they would really be interested and don't know if I want them to be yet.  I am still wet behind the ears.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
      FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My brother will occasionally read one of my Hubs but aside from him nobody in my family is particularly interested in the geeky junk I write about...

9. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

My family knows about my Hubs but they don't really care.... it's just something I do for my own amusement.

Thanks Fatfreddy.  My daughter gets annoyed when dinner is ready at the normal time.  That's the extent of her interest.

10. profile image55
    kumar24894posted 11 years ago

My GF knows that I write a lot on internet.

Thanks kumar.  I hope she likes what you write.

11. houseofjcjee profile image67
    houseofjcjeeposted 11 years ago

Some of my friends do because they are also hubbers like me and we share techniques and ideas about our hubs.

I like the idea of sharing things.  Don't know any hubbers in "real life".

12. ashish04joshi profile image64
    ashish04joshiposted 11 years ago

I've shared this with only a few people...just two of my best friends.
    I haven't shared this yet with my family coz I want to give them a surprise if at all I get known here someday!

Hopefully your hubs will take off and you can brag to your family!

13. weekend profile image60
    weekendposted 11 years ago

I write all over the Internet and everyone knows, although I write for HubPages secretly in case people laugh at me.

Well at least this way you can write stuff that you don't want them to see.  Thanks.

14. donnah75 profile image92
    donnah75posted 11 years ago

Sure, why keep it a secret?  I want everyone to know, so they click and read.  I will admit that at first I was reluctant to tell the people I know, as I was unsure of the site, how successful I would be, etc.  It is always harder to put yourself out there in front of people you know, especially when it comes to writing. After about a week of posting and getting really nice, positive feedback from other hubbers, I took the plunge and posted all my hubs to facebook. After about a week, I told my parents over dinner one night, so proud that I had earned a whole 75 cents!

I also found two of my co-workers on here.  I had no idea they were writing on this site, so I guess some people do keep it to themselves.  It all depends on your comfort level I guess.

Wow.  I wonder if there are folks on here that I know?  My parents would be mortified they might be mentioned in something.

15. newcalendar profile image61
    newcalendarposted 11 years ago

My best friend tends to steal every idea I come up with so I refuse to mention it to him as well as my other male friends, not ashamed it's just, if I feel a need to write about them I'd hate for them to read it. My best female friend knows and encourages me daily though which is wonderful.

It's nice to have some encouragement and I understand the need not to tell your friend.

16. ChristyWrites profile image79
    ChristyWritesposted 11 years ago

Yes, my friends and family do know. I enjoy having their support and ask them sometimes for feedback about my writing. Having another set of eyes to look over my work can help! Good question Glimmer Twin Fan.

It is nice to get some feedback before a hub gets published. Thanks for the comment.

17. Amanda Gee profile image59
    Amanda Geeposted 11 years ago

They all know I'm a hubber. They're all very happy with my decision to be and are very encouraging.

It's nice to get that encouragement.

18. Volitans profile image70
    Volitansposted 11 years ago

I'm anonymous. My family differs significantly in their religious and political views from myself, so I want the freedom to speak my mind without worrying about offending them or having to defend my political opinions when I'd rather be visiting with my nieces and nephews. I don't hide my opinions from my family, but if they're constantly reminded about them from reading my hubs then it will forever be a subject of discussion.

Good answer.  I haven't written anything political, but I can see where it might spoil the dinner conversation.

19. Damodar Bashyal profile image68
    Damodar Bashyalposted 11 years ago

It's hard to hide as i chose my fullname as username and i share my hubs :-)

20. FreezeFrame34 profile image74
    FreezeFrame34posted 11 years ago

I've told my immediate family, but a lot of them seem uninterested in reading anything I have written. I do post my hubs to Facebook, and every once in a while someone will say, " I agree with the author- I just realized it's you !"

It's fun to get a reaction, but so far only my husband and my daughter know I do this.

21. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

My family knows about it.  Although they do not get enough time, they have always supported me.

It's nice that your family supports what you do.

22. flipsideproximity profile image59
    flipsideproximityposted 11 years ago

None of my family or friends know that I am a hubber. It's just nothing I've really told them - and I'm new. I joined here wanting to improve my writing skills. Eventually I hope to make some extra money... But I know that is a long ways away tongue

I think it's been a nice way to get some thoughts off of my chest with a little anonymity.

23. Redberry Sky profile image90
    Redberry Skyposted 11 years ago

Most of them know I’m up to something, but I’ve not told them the details.  One friend was interested and he’s been to one of my Hubs, but most aren’t really that interested – I think if I start to make money they’d be more curious!

I think you are right about making money and people getting more interested!

24. SportsBetter profile image63
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

I don't show my hubs to my friends and family.  I guess maybe since I know them I don't want to be under their criticism.  But I have told family and friends that I write on here, just never showed them any of my writings.

I like being able to write anonymously, but my husband and daughter know.

25. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

My best friends know that I am into hubbing.
    My family also knows.
    I don like to keep secret from them about what I am doing.
    But they hardly know exactly what I am writing because they are not into very much reading excluding my son. He sometimes know that on what topic i am writing what.

I can understand not keeping secrets.  I just don't mention it to anyone.

26. roxygurl464 profile image58
    roxygurl464posted 11 years ago

I haven't officially told anyone specifically about Hubpages.  My boyfriend knows I love to write and that I spend a great deal of time on my lap top, but I doubt he would actually care to sit down and read anything that I have written.  To be honest, I don't recall ever seeing him read about anything besides motorcycles or rock bands....oh well.

You never know.  Maybe he'd see a different side of you.

2. sassydee profile image70
      sassydeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i know exactly what you mean my significant other reads about his toy truck and other toys?!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)