When did this become ok?

Jump to Last Post 51-62 of 62 discussions (120 posts)
  1. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Please stop fighting.

I'm not even going to post my normal long plea for the arguments to stop.

Just please stop it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Gamergirl, I don't think they're listening.  I already tried a bucket of water.  Maybe I should go find a fire hose...

3. gamergirl profile image84

*aims this smilie at Mark, Misha, and CP*

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/fireman.gif

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Shoulda known I could rely on you!

4. College politico profile image60
    College politicoposted 16 years ago

I think we are done.... although I can only speak for myself.

5. gamergirl profile image84

Lots of folks can rely on me.  It's for what that is the question.

http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/1525/smile.gif

6. singingmommy profile image74
    singingmommyposted 16 years ago

I am not descriminating Muslims when I say this at ALL. There is 2.3 billion muslims in the world and most of them all are harmless and kind people, but there is a 100 million to say the least that hate America because of the Christian heritage and support of Israel. They hate those to things because they feel it opposes their religion. They are taught ( though like I mentioned most are not like this) that they are to kill those that oppose their belief's. They are willing to committ suicide because they are told they will have virgins and extacy and many other thrills in the afterlife. This massive army that could very possibly increase to a billion is spread out all over the world even here ( Oklahoma City Bombing ect.). I know Irac is not an exclusive force against us, but taking down Sadam was a victory against this enemy. I am not real political minded, but I know the people from Irac have regained more freedom, dignity and normality since we took down the radicalist ( a big part of them) Ourcountry has not had another terror attact because our mighty american army showed these evil killers what were made of and that we do not tolerate such horrid acts against their people ( like Sadam committed) or toward any other country.

We need the good muslims join us in the fight against radical Islam!!!

An Islamic extremist that hates Christians announced over their middle eastern airwaves and was recorded and heard by thousands. He said, " A tragity is taking place, 16,000 Muslims per day are converting to Christianity." He continued to remark about their religeous devistation. Their  remedy to this so-called tragity is to declare a holy war. Irac is only the starting place. Whether it's Hillary, Obama, Mcain or whoever else, we are in a war and no political agenda, whether Republican or Democrat will be able to sweet talk these extremist's. " They hate you and your FREEDOM."
    Thousands of attempted terror attacks have been prevented since 911 because America put up their guard. If she dare let it down............a scary thought!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image74
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I know we're trying to let this argument die, but I'd like to see sources for those statistics.  100 million Muslims that hate America?  Where did that number come from, other than some arbitrary number you pulled out of your own... ahem... head?

7. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Singingmommy, it's sad that you know so little, you can't even spell the name of the country you so malign. 

There will always be fundamentalists in every religion, and they will be bigoted and even violent towards people they see as their opponents.  For instance, Christians killed Muslims in their thousands during the Crusades - massacring whole cities in the name of God.  Christians killed thousands of Muslims in the former Yugoslavia only a few years ago.  Yet I'm sure you would object if someone claimed that "100 million" Christians hated Muslims.

1. singingmommy profile image74
      singingmommyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I seen the spelling errors sorry......I was on the phone.
      If any Christian hates a muslim they are not a true Christian!

Talk to your average Muslim, and they will say that any Muslim who hates a Christian is not a true Muslim.  In other words, the view is exactly the same from the other side of the fence.

8. gamergirl profile image84

I can understand the possible outrage of those in Muslim communities.

Wouldn't you be mad if hundreds of thousands of Christians converted to worship of Allah and the tenets of Islam?

I mean, we invade them repeatedly, we refuse to wear garments of modesty and humility, we teach their devout women that they are victims of oppression when before there was only thousands of years of teaching to suggest that they were, up until women's lib took off, completely content to follow the tenets of their faith.

Not to start this thread back up again, or anything.

9. singingmommy profile image74

We can close this thread, I just wanted to tell the one that thought I making things up where I got some of my info. The first comment was heard an expressed by Dr. D. James Kennedy and the last statistics you can find at www.oneplace.com under Focus On The Family and look in the archives at the program about Radical Islam Against Western Civil Countries. Listen to it.

I never intended to show any nasty or rude comments, but it seems like every time I just make a comment people get so belittling . Whether we agree or disagree we are all fellow americans and should keep our attitudes friendly.
    Real debate argue topics, but never lower themselves to personal attacts.

Gamegirl, I understand your point and I liked how you were friendly while you made it too:.)

I assume you're referring to Dr. James Dobson's claim that, "Even if only 10 percent of world's Muslims adhere to the destructive, radical tenets of their faith, that still means 120 million Muslims are dedicated to jihad (or "holy war") against the West."  (Source.)

Speculations, not statistics.  "Even if..." is not a scientific study or political poll.  It is one man pulling numbers out of his behind to illustrate his own religious agenda.

And for most Muslims, jihad does not have a meaning of physical "holy war," in the sense that we Westerners often interpret it, but of struggle against the forces within us that lead us away from God, a more personal kind of "holy war."

1. singingmommy profile image74
        singingmommyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the comment.I may have not should have used the term holy war, but for some odd reason they hate us and want to kill us. We can't label that religious or political just facts. I guess the best way to prove any point is to see what happens and continue to educate ourselves by staying tuned in to the events happening around us. It's a big world!  We can all just speculate, but I sure want somebody to keep America informed to prevent another surprise attack and not just promote an antiwar political agenda. The best thing for us americans is to unite together and keep our country free:.) wink

1. livelonger profile image86
          livelongerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea what your feelings are, but I have noticed that the people that, in practice, are seemingly hell-bent on exploiting differences between people and pitting people against each other, also proudly proclaim themselves as Christian. That is certainly the case with James Dobson, that Maddie mentioned in her post above.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image74

"Facts?"  I don't know what you're referring to, since we've established there are no actual statistics to back up these claims you've put out.  And "They hate us...?"  Who are you referring to, now that your stats fell through?  You talk about uniting, but you're stuck on "Us Vs. Them."

1. College politico profile image60
            College politicoposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Are you arguing that there aren't islamic extremists who want to kill us?

Could you please explain what you mean because I don't understand. Are you saying that there are no islamic extremists?

No more than you're saying there are no Christian extremists.  (Wait, are you saying that?)  tongue

1. College politico profile image60
                College politicoposted 16 years agoin reply to this

No, You could consider the KKK or a group like that in the same ideological vein as al qaeda...

I hope that we can all agree (regardless of numbers, which are extremely hard to calculate anyway) that there are islamic extremists who want to kill westerners. Also I think we can all agree that they do not represent a majority of people who believe in islam and are in fact committing a betrayal of the faith they claim to represent (much like the KKK).

Absolutely true!   Where SingingMommy and I disagree, is that she clearly believes Iraq is a hotbed of Islamist extremists and that's why America went to war.  Whereas in fact, it wasn't a hotbed of Islamist extremists before the war - but it probably is now, because the conflict has attracted all kinds of people looking to take advantage of the situation.

10. singingmommy profile image74

That is correct!

11. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Hey, Gamegirl and Marisa,

Do you still want to pour cold water on Mark and me? big_smile

12. barranca profile image76
    barrancaposted 16 years ago

The trouble with "Islamic Extremists" is that even though few in number and short on money and military resources, in a complex world like ours, they can still wreak havoc with "asymmetric warfare".  The best defense against such warfare is vigilance and friends.  Friends who have their ears close to the ground can warn us when attacks are imminent.  But if we keep alienating the entire planet with our military might, unilateral, hegemonic claims, then even tripling our trillion dollar defense budget won't do us any good.  It is time this country awakened to the fact that we live on a planet with a lot of countries, all with their own right to self-determination and point of view.  And we are all interdependent.  Bush's wanted dead or alive, cowboy, America is the only idealistic country, paternalism is not going to cut it.  You can't torture, but we can type policies are so hypocritical and obvious to the rest of the world.....why are Americans so dumb?  The emperor has no clothes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)