jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Do you give your postman/postwoman cards or gifts throughout the year? Why or wh

1. Novel Treasure profile image90
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

Do you give your postman/postwoman cards or gifts throughout the year? Why or why not?

Just wanted to know if people still do this or if it's considered kind of old fashioned.

2. TheKatsMeow profile image89
    TheKatsMeowposted 5 years ago

We always give our mailman some money around christmas time. I think he deserves it, he is always polite and helpful. Quite a few people around our block do the same thing, I don't think it's old fashioned smile

3. innerspin profile image92
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

We don't because, sadly, they are not that good. Years ago the postman would make every effort to deliver a letter or parcel. We sent a postcard to friends who had just moved house and couldn't remember the address. It arrived at their house addressed to the house with the blue car opposite the Red Lion pub, and the town. Nowadays we have mail wrongly delivered on a regular basis. Letters for neighbours, clearly addressed, arrive here, while they pop round with mail for us. Other mail goes missing. We seem to have a different postman every couple of months. So no, no gifts from us!

1. TheKatsMeow profile image89
      TheKatsMeowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That sounds awful! I didn't realize how lucky I was with our mailman! If we had bad service we wouldn't tip ours either!

4. Novel Treasure profile image90
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

Where we lived before the postman was not so pleasant. He constantly trampled through my gardens even when I politely asked him not to. If we didn't shovel a path across our lawn, yes across our lawn, sometimes he wouldn't deliver the mail if he deemed too much snow. We live in the southern midwest so our snowfal is like 1-3 inches a time mind you, not like Minnesota. So we never gave him anything other than a piece of our minds.

But we just moved and the postwoman is so nice and helpful and goes out of her way. She remembered our names after just one meeting and all the neighbors love her and talk to her, so I'm thinking about letting the kids make her christmas cards this year.

5. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image99
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 5 years ago

I bake a lot at Christmas, so I always make a goodie bag of cookies for our postal carrier as a little thank you.

6. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image85
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

I don't have a mailman, but I wish I had a mailwoman. You see, in this little borough in western PA where I live, you have to go to the Post Office to get your own mail. No home delivery. Oh yeah, you get a free Post Office box. Alrighty then, I think I'll buy myself a case of beer for going to get the mail. My daughter also has a key to the box and she gets a lot of stuff but she never goes to get the mail. All I get is bills.

7. Cardia profile image93
    Cardiaposted 5 years ago

We have two post people (one is a man and the other is a woman) that deliver mail to our area - they alternate each week.
    We normally give them some money around Christmas time, and sometimes a small present.
    They're very friendly and they've been working in our area for years so we know them pretty well.

8. moonfairy profile image82
    moonfairyposted 5 years ago

we always give him or her a  heartfelt thank you and money during the holidays

working