Thought for the day...

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 144 discussions (183 posts)
  1. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

"You are never given a dream, without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however." - Richard Bach

1. ripplemaker profile image77
      ripplemakerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hi Jenny, love his quotes..this one too!  smile

2. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

Teach others how you want them to treat you---------and do be patient about it.

3. terenceyap07 profile image61
    terenceyap07posted 15 years ago

There is a good way and a bad way to percieve things.

How do we want to precieve things?

*smiles*

4. docbenduke profile image59
    docbendukeposted 15 years ago

Miracle is what hapens when opportunity meets preparation..Thus:we must always get prepared all the time..
    Thanks

5. terenceyap07 profile image61

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon"

~ Dalai Lama ~

6. B.T. Evilpants profile image61
    B.T. Evilpantsposted 15 years ago

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos."
    Ned Beatty

7. spryte profile image75
    spryteposted 15 years ago

Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat. - Mark Twain

1. B.T. Evilpants profile image61
      B.T. Evilpantsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work - supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat. The cat wasn't a sort of clunky mechanism that was susceptible to our available tools of analysis- Douglas Adams

1. spryte profile image75
        spryteposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's very easy to make insects move. Because they do move mechanically without the rippling of flesh as you mentioned. They move more like real tinker toys and you can make models of them quite easily.
        Michael O'Donoghue

2. quicksand profile image80
        quicksandposted 15 years agoin reply to this

As a kid I used to wonder if "cat" could be dismantled to check out the mechanism contained within, to see how it works. One thing that prevented me from doing so was that I would not have been able to put it back right. Another thing was, I did not want to mess the "wrapping." The manufacturer had done an excellent job! smile

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I tawt I taw a puddytat -- Tweetybird

9. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

"Smile and the world smiles with you, Fart and the world backs away". jimmythejock 2008

10. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 15 years ago

"They're not laughing AT you, honey. They're laughing with you" ~My mom

11. Marian Swift profile image61
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

We should try to be the parents of our future rather than the offspring of our past. (Miguel de Unamuno, writer and philosopher,1864-1936)

Easier said than done, but well worth the effort.

12. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

A woman goes to the market and buys a bushel of avocados. 
    When she gets home she decides she would like to eat one.

So she looks in her bag and picks out the one that looks the best.
    She cuts one open and removes the seed adds a sprinkle of salt and eats it.

She is delighted because this avocado was the best she had ever tasted.
    So she decides she would like another one.

So she looks in her bag and picks out the one that looks the best.
    She cuts it open to remove the seed and notices that the seed looks discolored.

She studies it, looks over the meat of the avocado, it looks good and it smells good, and it came from the same batch.

So she sprinkles some salt on it and takes a bite.
    She makes a funny face and spits it out because it tasted awful.

The moral of the story is, just because it looks good, smells good, and comes from the same tree doesn't mean it is.  lol ;P

13. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

Reading maketh a full person, conference a ready person and writing an exact person.

---Francis Bacon  (he actually said man, instead of person, but I wanted to be more exact!) big_smile

14. docbenduke profile image59

Do not laugh because people are laughing.You must try to find out wat is amusing them before you join them because you may be surprised that they may be laughing at your stupidity...Thanks

15. terenceyap07 profile image61

"Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever or whatever abysses nature leads, or you will learn nothing.

~ Thomas H. Huxley ~

16. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

never say that you are smart so you never have to eat your words.  smile

17. terenceyap07 profile image61

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same."

~ Francesca Reigler ~

18. profile image0
    daflaposted 15 years ago

My own personal favorite:

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard isn't what I meant"

19. terenceyap07 profile image61

"We are at our very best, and we are happiest, when we are fully engaged in work we enjoy, on the journey toward the goal we've established for ourselves. It gives meaning to our time off and comfort to our sleep. It makes everything else in life so wonderful, so worthwhile."

~ Earl Nightingale ~

20. terenceyap07 profile image61

"You don't get to choose how you are going to die. Or when.
    You can only decide how you are going to live now."

~ Joan Baez ~

21. terenceyap07 profile image61

"There is no personal charm so great as the charm of a cheerful temperament."

~ Henry Van Dyke ~

22. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Wow, Terence, it seems tyou have taken these to heart-- especially the last one. Charming.

23. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

One from Ben Franklin-- especially for writers:
    "If you would not be forgotten
    As soon as you are dead and rotten,
    Either write things worthy reading,
    Or do things worth the writing."

1. Shirley Anderson profile image70
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I love this quote.  I've never read this one before.  Thanks for this, Rochelle.

24. maestrowhit profile image60
    maestrowhitposted 15 years ago

When body and mind unite completely, thinking becomes a physical act.

25. SparklingJewel profile image67

“With freedom comes responsibility. Those who would have self-government must, by definition, govern themselves. Self-government only works when people act responsibly and fulfill their obligations. When people abuse these freedoms to enrich themselves at the expense of others, then the public will demand the government to step in. That is how government grows, and how freedom is diminished."
         --- don't know who ? but I am sure it has been said many times through the years

26. docbenduke profile image59

Intergrity is doing exactly what you say you can do...

27. terenceyap07 profile image61

“Fear less, hope more;
    Eat less, chew more;
    Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more;
    Love more, and all good things will be yours”

~ Swedish Proverb ~

28. Bonnie Ramsey profile image69
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

The poor man is not he who is without a CENT but he who is without a DREAM! - Harry Kemp

29. vitaeb profile image59
    vitaebposted 15 years ago

"If the brain were simpler we'd be able to understand it, but then we'd be too simple to know what we understood."

30. terenceyap07 profile image61

"Whenever I share my joy with another
    ... my joy is doubled.
    Whenever I share my sorrow with another
    ... my sorrow is halved."

~ Swedish Proverb ~

31. terenceyap07 profile image61

Success

To laugh often and love much,
    to win the respect of intelligent persons
    and the affection of children;
    to earn the approbation of honest critics;
    to appreciate beauty; to give of one's self;
    to know even one life has breathed easier because
    you have lived --- that is to have succeeded.

~ Harry Emerson Fosdick ~

32. Hope Alexander profile image69
    Hope Alexanderposted 15 years ago

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

As of tomorrow, employees will only be able to access the building using individual security cards. Pictures will be taken next Wednesday, and employees will receive their cards in two weeks. (Fred Dales at Microsoft Corporation in Redmond, WA)

33. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

Here's to my friend.
    May your casket be made from a 100 year old oak tree...
    Which I shall plant in the morning.

Irish Toast

1. quicksand profile image80
      quicksandposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are limiting one's lifespan to just a hundred extra years! smile

34. terenceyap07 profile image61

"Health is the greatest gift,
    contentment the greatest wealth,
    faithfulness the best relationship."

~ Buddha ~

35. terenceyap07 profile image61

"Strength does not come from physical capacity.
    It comes from an indomitable will."

~ Mahatma Gandhi ~

36. SparklingJewel profile image67

"How wonderful is the human voice! It is indeed the organ of the soul. The intellect of man sits enthroned visibly, on his forehead and in his eye, and the heart of man is written on his countenance, but the soul reveals itself in the voice only."

--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

37. terenceyap07 profile image61

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

~ Burton Hills ~

38. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Bertrand Russell - The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge.

39. jyuva profile image58
    jyuvaposted 15 years ago

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
                                             give him power.

--Abraham Lincoin--

40. akinlolu profile image66
    akinloluposted 15 years ago

when you wanna do something you must know that start with what you have now, cos what you have now was what you hoped for before.

41. profile image50
    RBalanposted 15 years ago

Think Good
    Do  Good
    Rest all will be Good

42. akinlolu profile image66
    akinloluposted 15 years ago

People always wanna stay in there comfort zone, becoming very defensive and never offensive. These kind of people are always on the average.

43. terenceyap07 profile image61

"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."

~ Lao Tzu ~

44. Benson Yeung profile image68
    Benson Yeungposted 15 years ago

It is a physician's privilege to have death as a visitor once every few days to remind me to live for today as tomorrow may never come.

45. terenceyap07 profile image61

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

~ Confucius ~

46. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on; nor all thy Piety nor Wit
      Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

47. profiler profile image64
    profilerposted 15 years ago

All our moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

48. terenceyap07 profile image61

“When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have”

~ Professor Stephen Hawkings ~

49. terenceyap07 profile image61

“If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you and you will find great things happen FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you.”

~ T. Alan Armstrong ~

50. terenceyap07 profile image61

"And the high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule, or to impose himself in any other way."

~ Albert Einstein ~

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)