Who Is "THE BIG DOG" on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (71 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Wag The Dogposted 14 years ago

Who would you say is The Big Dog on HubPages?  If you do not know, take a "wag" or educated guess.

The person with the...

Most Hubs?

Most Traffic?

Most Followers/Fans?

Most Pull/Power? (Just curious)

I ask, because I would like to learn from the best.  Please give a name and link to their site if you can.  If it is you, do not be shy or modest, list yourself.

1. Dale Mazurek profile image61
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG there are many here.  You will get a lot of names and I will only name a few just because I would have to type all day.

You want to learn from people like Relache, Darkside, Damescribe, Nelle,Mark Knowles,Whitney05,Maddie Ruud  and the list goes on and on and on. 

For the most part you will find your way around and it wont take long to see the people you should be paying attention to.

Cheers

Dale

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who gives a toss? We are a community, not a cult, we dont have a leader.

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks ryan. You said it more succinctly than I did.

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha! big_smile

hee hee I just luvs his candor.

3. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

nope, were all followers.  smile

3. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Wag.  If you are looking for someone with a little authority here on Hubpages, then you just talk to me.  I have as little as anybody.

Q.

1. profile image0

hmm, maybe he wants to lodge a complaint and cut through the middleman wink

4. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Big Dog? Well now that Frank is gone (I'm assuming Ryan took him with him?) I guess there's no Dog.....

5. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jesus...the link is straight up yonder.

2. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Shinujohn2008 I believe has the most hubs.  Over 4000

3. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Me! lololo there are many take your pick! smile

1. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey...step aside "A", because STIMP is the big dog....why, just look at the pic lollollol

1. profile image0

My cat will kick your dog's butt any day!!
        lol

1. Stimp profile image60
          Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol and he/she will have to stand in line behind the 3 cats I've got now who beat the crap out of him daily.

1. profile image0

he lets them....proof of being bigger..
            lol
            catch ya later!!

2. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, cute. Wolfgang kind of looked like that as a pup.

4. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

I'm no big dog, more like one of those tiny cows on the commercials, but I think you've got all the big dogs listed up there. Have fun reading and learning! You can learn a lot of you hang out in the forums, too.

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a big cow smile  Not a big dog though, I think most of the names have been listed cool

5. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I don't know if there's necessarily a "big dog" but if you want to learn how to do it and do it well, then Dale hit the nail on the head. Check out the many helpful hubs and tips by Darkside, Relache and Mark Knowles to name a few.
    They've all been here a while and know what they're talking about!

6. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

Darkside
    Sunforged
    Mark Knowles
    Nelle Hoxie
    Maddie Rudd
    Paul Deeds
    Relache
    Patty Inglish

those are people who immediately came to mind.

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I personally would not follow the web building practices of the individuals who have the most Hubs.  They tend to range from lower quality down to what HubPages considers spam.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. smile

2. Dale Mazurek profile image61
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking that as well.  Good point

3. mistywild profile image59
      mistywildposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you always have the best advice relache.

8. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Hal Licino (not sure if I got the name right) has over 1,000 hubs.  The ones I read did not seem spammy at all.

That's quite a number when you consider, according to his profile he's been around 3 years, so that equates to an average of a hub a day for 3 years!

[edit]
    And, I agree with cosette's list

9. profile image0

i have seen some hubbers with a lot of hubs and the hubs are really good. then you see someone else with a lot of hubs and they resemble spam machines. quality is readily distinguished from quantity - but the number of hubs you have isn't what makes someone a "big dog" - it's a whole body of knowledge, experience and how they are respected within the community, as well as how they interact with others in the community. every one of the hubbers i mentioned is helpful, vocal and knowledgable, and therefore, highly regarded.

[edited to add RyanKett - can't believe i forgot him!]

10. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

why do you ask?

1. profile image0

how would we know who has the most traffic?

11. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I don't really much care for the whole 'big dog' idea to begin with. I mean who wants to be a BIG DOG? Wouldn't we all rather be decent human beings?

The people mentioned already have been here a long time, are doing well, and have lots to teach, but I'd rather see people be who they are than try to be some internet marketing 'big dog'.

Ugh.

I mean, I'm so sick of that. It makes me feel like I still work at the bank.

1. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  Big Dog sounds testosterone driven.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pam, I know just what you mean.  Over recent days I've seen quite a few remarks on here that make it appear as if the kind of thinking many of us reject about corporate culture is slipping more and more into HubPages.

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there's more of that competitive webpreneur guruspeak slipping in. It's so much like what I left behind (at the cube farm) so I could write. For me it's about the writing, the people, the ideas--all that marketing talk is a separate gig altogether.

I especially am weary of people casting hub writers as 'winners' or 'losers' based on how good they are at marketing. I think it is totally legitimate to say, "I'm a writer, period."

I write for lots of clients who love the marketing aspect, hate the writing. You don't have to do both. You're not a 'loser' or a 'little dog' if you don't get all geeked up on web marketing.

1. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sigh.  Yeah.  Writing.  I'm afraid the readership will never be equal to what a good writer is worth here, period--due to quite a few things.  I'm writing 'copy' at work and here these days.  smile.  The one thing I like about copy is that it is straightforward and honest...just what it is...though it limits my mind, frankly.  (As does 'marketing,' all the time, lol...oh, for others who judge that--I work ft in marketing, corporate.)

Don't suppose you did the Nanowrimo, did you, Pam?  I didn't.  I think there were too many crises in November and I just couldn't concentrate... 

Still!  For a select few here, I'd judge--and it is both personal/professional opinion--you have no idea how truly good writers you are and it is far beyond marketing...and probably honestly beyond Hubpages.  You need to push it further!  (And so do I, ie.)

smile

1. tksensei profile image59

That must be so frustrating!

1. profile image0

Oh, and Wag?  Tksensei definitely has....or IS the smallest dog here.

It's proved over and over...

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
                Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Big bark though! big_smile

2. tksensei profile image59

Are you trying to be unkind again? Wolfgang's a big fella, but small dogs can be nice too. Boston Terriers are good.

3. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really agree with you on this one, Pam.  Except I never did work at a bank; it was an insurance company.  Still made me sick, though.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

you won't see the 'big dogs' flaunting themselves. they work hard and earn their followers by writing great hubs. you'll spot them in the 'help' forums at times.

13. profile image0

big_smile lol

14. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Umm...Let's not forget Paul Edmondson guys.  Were it not for him, none of us would be here big_smile

1. profile image0

smile
      yup.

15. profile image0

well that goes without saying... wink

16. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

the "top dog" or dogs are the people who work every day in the hubpages offices, they know how it all works and the best way to go about things.....jimmy

17. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Wag The Dog.

18. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

mighty mom
    pearldiver
    lyricsingray

19. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

It ain't me but someday..........

20. aware profile image66
    awareposted 14 years ago

all those powers cant be assembled by just one

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love this anwer

21. aware profile image66
    awareposted 14 years ago

why ty very much im a poet you know

22. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I imagine "wag the dogs' desire for "big dogs" relates to:

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/619246

Where he felt the "big dogs" had crushed his petition for a sig line at hubpages.

Perhaps now he want to go right to the top with his ideas?

so I think the appropriate answer is located in the about us link at the bottom of every page

http://hubpages.com/about/

I do get a smile seeing that little chihuahua asking to see the big dog.

1. profile image0

hee hee this sounds like a good plot for a Disney movie wink

23. mistywild profile image59
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

oh and me!!! jk lol

24. profile image0

Wow.  I made this post this morning, but I had to go out and take care of a few things, so, I did not get back to it until this evening.  As I read through the responses, it struck me as odd, and a bit funny, to see how it went from a totally innocent question to; "Wag the Dog" wants to rule, or be the "leader" of Hubpages.  Or, that those who do well on Hubpages are not "decent human beings" and that for the most part, are spammers because they are not writers.  It was even suggested that I wanted to over ride my fellow hubbers and go "right to the top" with an idea I spoke about in a previous post.

It was just like being back in 3rd grade, when the teacher asks one student to whisper something in anothers ear and then have it said to each student, in the class, in that fashion.  When it get's to the last kid, the last kid has to say what was told to them to see if it is the same thing the first kid said.  Of course, it is not, and normally it has totally changed.

For those of you who stuck to the theme of this post, I thank you for the leads.

For those of you who jumped off track, went on your own little rants and conspericy theries, I thank you for the laughs.  I needed them.

1. profile image0

well, actually, you created a "petition" re: your sig line idea instead of asking a question or making a suggestion, even. then when people said what they thought, you posted almost 20 comments as to why those who disagreed with you were wrong, and even said certain hubbers were "slandering" you and now you imply that some hubbers are picking on you or "going off on little rants" and "conspiracy theories". furthermore, after posting all of those comments, you asked just who the big dogs around this place were. you used the term "big dogs", not us. i don't think anyone here considers themselves a "big dog" and frankly this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are wrong. I am pretty sure it is a storm in a teacup... which is much smaller wink

1. profile image0

you know, i think you're right. tempests are smaller. briefer, anyway big_smile wink

2. profile image0

Hmmmm, you and Robert De Niro, wink.  Sure you are here to make money?

I'd say Mark Knowles....if I were to judge by many variables...is the official "Big Dog" in my book.

25. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

<--------

This is the REALLY big dog!

26. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Yeah, Hamlet loves dogs like yours! He eats two or three every morning for breakfast.

27. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

That was a joke, BTW. Hamlet is a big sweetie pie!

Are you sure someone didn't trick you and give you a horse instead of a dog?

28. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Dang! Stimp does look like Wolfgang!

When he was about 8 wks he really did look a lot like that!

29. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I'm no big dog (I haven't been around long enough to even think I might have earned that honor), but I will agree with the list of people first given and I will throw in my name to a different list...

Those who give back the community by publishing hubs to teach new members how to use hubpages.

Interestingly enough, the names mentioned earlier on the honor roll also fit on that list too. smile

30. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

lol...the big dog is a picture in one of my hubs...seriously my "big Momma Zoey " in labor..she is one heck of a giant dog!!  smile

31. profile image0

http://itsjacky.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/big-dog-little-dog.jpg
    I Found The Big Dog...

32. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Does the dog bite?

33. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

the 'about us' page says we're encouraged to write about what we know and love, and that's what many do here. not everyone is going to write product reviews or pump out 100 hubs in 3 months and that's perfectly fine. 

I came here to write and if I can make some $ or make good professional contacts, that's why I'm here.
    I had no idea I would meet so many great writers worldwide. it's really quite amazing. smile

34. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

@wag, i stand by my original assessment

BUT you see, i would actually be supportive of sigs BUT only if the whole forum system was revamped, Im actually bothered far more by "off topic" responses than by "personal attacks"...i think the  moderation here is pointless and misguided, if someone in a religion forum rubs someone the wrong way and brings out the worst...well that's human nature, that's inevitable..that's the way it works...when a topic full of informative content is overrun by conversation...thats against the spirit of a proper forum.

If hubpages was to adopt vbulletin, some post rules and accept they have a vibrant and growing forum in the world of online publishing and allow sigs..i would think it was appropriate.

They say "if its not broke dont fix it"...its broke..the forum doesnt fit the community here anymore..IMO(<---thats important,, opinion), I would appreciate a signature line..AFTER , fulfilling some basic limits..like the same ones that give dofollow here on the hub publishing

example..bad company, was a appreciated member of the forums, I had no personal stake, nor did i even agree that was true...But it was obviously true...yet admin oversight has removed that involvement, when they cant even answer the question of why the stats have been screwed up for two days...its easy, you make a sticky, you say the stat are screwed...has anyone seen that?

But you are terrible poster boy for such..you explained it like we just would want backlinks, you were defensive about every comment that was in disagreement....just  a terrible posterboy

Its a small issue to me, hopefully someone more deserving will take the mantle,,or you will become more deserving of the mantle

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)