Do you read negative comments received on hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)
  1. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 10 years ago

Do you read negative comments received on hubs?

People can give you  a bad review on a product, on your writing or on a business. Do you take in negative comments lightly?

2. Venkatachari M profile image81
    Venkatachari Mposted 10 years ago

One should read both positive and negative comments also. By reading all types of comments you can get a better picture of your writing style and quality. Negative comments require more attention, as they may ruthlessly pinpoint your bad qualities and mistakes. You should not ignore them. They can make you more strong and determined in improving your qualities.

1. DDE profile image46
      DDEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Definitely a helpful answer thank you

3. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

So far, I haven't receive any negative comments but if I do, I will read it to see if they can help me improve my writing. Sometimes negative comments can be a good thing because if others find something missing they can point it out. I won't be offended. Writers make mistakes and it is always nice to have readers that can spot mistakes and point it out.

1. DDE profile image46

Good one from you so well thought of. Thank you

4. Kathleen Odenthal profile image88
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 10 years ago

I read them, if they are spammy or hurtful where they attack me as a person rather than my writing, I delete them, if they are negative in the sense that they disagree with my opinion, I leave it and let it be. I try not to allow comments to effect me personally.

1. DDE profile image46

A good thought from you thank you

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I've received negative comments about my writing style, my opinions about a topic, and so on. I read every comment left at my hubs (or book reviews posted at Amazon or sent via email). If they are spiteful, obnoxious, and rude - in other words - someone is just looking to be hateful, I delete them. If it's negative because they disagree with something and give a well thought out response, I leave it and try to have a back and forth discussion with them. Both positive and negative comments help us become better writers and learn more about the topics about which we chose to write.

1. DDE profile image46

Thank you and we learn from our mistakes

6. M. T. Dremer profile image82
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

I read all comments, both good and bad, on my hubs. The only thing that will prompt me to delete a comment is if it is hateful towards another hubber (name calling) or if it uses profane language. But in all the years I've been here, I think I've only deleted one comment. Other negative responses (or disagreements) I leave as part of the discussion. People are free to disagree with me; it's an organic part of the internet.

1. DDE profile image46

I too have deleted one comment and will do the same as you thank you

7. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

If I received any then I would read them and decide whether to accept or deny/delete them.

1. DDE profile image46

Okay that sounds fair to me thank you.

8. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 10 years ago

I read negative comments and I take in negative comments lightly. So far I have not had a lot of negative comments. One was constructive. I did not really agree with what the person said but he was trying to get his point across. The others I got did not really make sense.

A person left me a comment saying I did not know what I was talking about and that I should not be misleading people. He did in a rude way. The hub was about me building muscle doing intense cardio. I took the comment very lightly because I have large rock hard calf muscles from biking long distances. Biking to beaches increased my weight by 20 pounds even though I became leaner.

1. DDE profile image46

Interesting from experience you should know better and that comment was negative from someone who just blurted out what they thought was not right. Thank you

9. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 10 years ago

Learning from negative comments is crucial to going forward.  Various things can be learned from them, and many are important. We need to look objectively at our writing and ask ourselves if we need to improve it.  Negative comments can direct us to specific needs.  It's a universal truth about everything we do.  Negatives are not necessarily bad.  For instance, no one wants pain, but it is a good thing because it tells us that we've been burned or cut or have broken a bone and we need to know when those things happen so we make get the repairs taken care of and heal rather than develop an infection or have a lifelong debilitation. 

Sometimes you can simply learn that a particular person has a bad, immature, or even nasty character.  I try to leave even those comments posted so others can be warned about that person.  I also try to give a wise reply to such comments.  I

However, if a comment has foul words in it I will not allow it to be posted on my hubs even though general society has degraded to the point that it now approves words that were once not used in polite company.  A quote that I remember when faced with that issue is that you can say a dog has five legs if you call the tail a leg, but that doesn't make the tail a leg.  Four-letter-words, or foul words, lower the bar in communication no matter what societal trends are.

1. DDE profile image46

Interesting thoughts from you about negative comments and I understand what you exactly mean here. Thank you

10. grand old lady profile image83
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

I haven't received negative comments on any of my hubs, but sometimes people disagree with a hub. In the latter case, it's okay, I publish it. Life is boring if everyone disagrees. If someone comments and is just plain rude without anything constructive to say, I think it would be better to discard the comment. Just like sometimes a comment just posts a link to advertise something, those I discard, unless the link is related to the topic.

1. DDE profile image46

I too don't agree with someone posting a link to my hub as comments that is plain rude. 'unless the link is related to the topic.'''Thank you

11. Veroniquebee profile image66
    Veroniquebeeposted 10 years ago

Heh, reminds me of the old Critics United crew on FanFiction.net some years ago. Quite a few of them took great care of ripping your works to shreds, and called it "concrit" - well, while concrit certainly is most welcome, if one wants to improve, there sure are some borders the 'critic' should not cross. And the most active of those crossed every single one of them so much that they actually got an online petition against them.

Anyway - it really depends on the kind of negative. If people tell me my works sucks, and list what exactly sucks, and it's true, I actually thank them, since it gives me the much needed kick in th butt to correct things and actually improve my style. (although, if those people tell me my grammar/spelling sucks, and their own is not much better, there is only so much I can take seriously about their opinion. Always makes me laugh when someone calls themselves in all seriousness a 'Grammer Nazi' and then kicks their own grammar out of the window.)

If it's just some meaningless trolling, I mostly just laugh, think something about idiots who really should get a life and delete them.

And if it's negative because people do not agree with me on something - well, that's great. If everyone would always agree with everyone else, where would be discussion, where would be conflict that pushes us all forward?

As much as negative reactions can really depress us, I think that to certain degree we need those as well.

Like the latest comment I got from my betareader for one of my stories. I asked her for her opinion - whether she thought there was some issue with my writing that I would need to work on, did the story flow, or was it dragging itself forward at the speed of a turtle in peanut butter? The reaction I got was basically "well, it could have been much worse", and believe me, I was flailing hopelessly in front of my computer for about five minutes before I started laughing like idiot. I hoped for something a bit more detailed, but at least I know it wasn't commplete crap, even if it sure could be better big_smile

1. DDE profile image46

Great answer! You are so  right on it depends on the kind of negative comment you receive from your readers. Thank you.

12. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

maybe its a sick pleasure, but i think those are the only ones worth reading.

1. DDE profile image46

True negative comments do open up a learning process to ones hubs. Thank you

13. MadhaviNagarajan profile image59
    MadhaviNagarajanposted 10 years ago

yes, i do read the negative comments. Thereby we can improve ourself and can rectify our mistakes. I definitely do it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)