We all help each other

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

From what I have noticed in my short time at Hubpages is this.  What is good for each individual hubber is good for all the community.  Anyone who drives traffic to hubpages gives the other hubbers a chance to feed from the flow of traffic.  Why when provided with a forum would we take the opportunity to bite and claw each other?  Every hubber that decides to not participate in the hubpage community diminishes the experience for us all.  Why would we not support each other for the benefit of all our hard work we have put into our hubs?

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have only been with hubpages a few months, but my initial perception of the forums purpose has greatly changed. I thought it was for community among hubbers. I thought the threads asking questions were to gather info for hub writing, but when I responded I learned it was not so. I have answered threads with my beliefs, not told anyone their beliefs were wrong, yet been ridiculed and harshly judged. I have dealt with harrassment and name calling for it. I have wanted to start threads to get others opinions, but I don't as I can see what would happen. I now believe the forums are a school yard overrun with big mouths and bullies for the most part. It is what it is, and I am suprised honestly by what hubpages tolerates. Just my opinion, Holly

Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is so sad that you have not started a thread because of fear of the responses you would receive.  Beyond sad it is repulsive to think that other people are defining your experience with the Hubpages site.  I understand now with your response why the staff would want to ban people who are trying to bully their way through the forums with strongarm tactics.

2. h.a.borcich profile image61
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My response seemed a bit vague so I want to clarify.
          The questions I have wanted to ask are about growing up in different cultures and faiths. I am genuinely interested in others experiences. I don't want to judge it, or watch some hubbers fly in with attacks and mockery, but gain some insight.
          I have come to expect it is impossible for many to just give input or an observation without tearing someone down. Maybe I am wrong? Maybe I'll be brave and start a thread soon. Just don't think I am fearful of the forums...I simply am stunned and jaded a bit. Holly

3. moanalisa profile image60
        moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being here for two weeks, I agree with you in many ways. I see constantly those who do nothing but start threads for merely the sake of self-aggrandizement, and quite often on topics that they know are heatedly debated upon.

Am I guilty of responding to such, yes...It's a huge turn-off to want to participate in the forums these days.

1. K Partin profile image60
          K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you feel that way, but I can understand where you're coming from. But give it a chance you'll like it in the long run. smile

2. Karina S. profile image61
      Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

It's mind boggling to me but I guess humans just like to bicker and fight even when there is no benifit to it smile

3. wesleyacarter profile image57
    wesleyacarterposted 14 years ago

war is easy. peace is hard work.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The question is - do you know why? smile

1. wesleyacarter profile image57
        wesleyacarterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no i don't.

I can speculate it is because of the need for drama as part of the human condition. many times, as you can see on these forums, it is easier to emit one's own ideas than it is to consider someone else's.

peace is boring, and not as entertaining as war. Especially in the modern community, where self-actualization is an individual point, and not a collective undertaking.

War yields huge profits. Peace spreads those profits to every party involved, which defeats the purpose of profit.

Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Peace sells but who's Buying"  Dave Mustaine

4. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

BTW my spelling is awful and sadly my mouse went kerplunk! I have an old one button mouse to use and so no right click fix spelling facility and doing it with a keyboard is beyond me smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are just having all kinds of problems lately, huh? How are you today? (like I couldn't already tell....lol )

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My luck has been sub par eh? Guess I can't do any work, what a bummer lol
        I am actually thinking of going to the doctors again tomorrow about my foot, two toes have got weird purple sore areas that look nasty. I wonder if there is more damage in the foot then they found before. Of course when I went to the hospital they were more consirned to get me in and out in under their target times for hospital visits then making sure they know the extent of damage, what a crock of shite! Hey at least I have some kind of medical coverage as I don't make enough to pay the bills that would happen in areas with no public health care hmm Can't win on that issue really, crappy health care for all or decent health care for those who can afford it. I should get more involved in the political forums eh!

5. The10DollarMark profile image62
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

Yes, every traffic we get can help another hubber so you'd think we should help each other.

On the other hand...Many of us have similar hubs and thus are competing against each other. For examples I've seen a lot of Wow lvl 80 hubs. The goal of such hubs is to sell a product. If someone were to actually buy it, they'd only need 1. So if you're helping drive traffic to your competing hub, that's not good.

So in a way, getting into fights with people so that they get annoyed and give up, is a good strategy for people who don't want too much competition.

(Not that I would do that, just trying to find a way to make it work for the other side tongue. Devil's advocate)

Competition is a good and healthy way to improve. I have a product hub with a link to another members product hub with similar products advertised. I really think if I don't make the sale with my writing maybe they will want to buy after reading her hub and I have gleaned a few good methods to use to make a sale so it all works out in the end smile

6. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a long time forum user, belong to over a dozen of them. They are from many different places, many different subjects.

Never have I seen so many people fighting and baiting each other than I have here, and I'm new here! Seems to be many with time on their hands and just come to the forum to shout and fight.

They should start a blog and use that for their outlet, not a forum. Many I am from would have banned a few dozen from here already.

Also most don't even allow the subjects that are posted here. Religion and politics in a writing forum is not a good mix. If you want to argue about those subjects there are plenty in sites dealing with those.

7. profile image0
    cathinfranceposted 14 years ago

What Wesley said. Knocking things down is easy; building is harder. (Kirsten - that photo is ridiculously cute!)

Awww thank you smile Cagy and sufi would probably warn you not to trust that cute raccoon face to much lol tongue

8. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Its like sex.  If we all went along and got along, it would be pretty boring.
    Conflict brings out the best and worst of us.  Gives us the opportunity to measure others and somtimes insight we did not previously have access to.
    Doesn't mean we can't be supportive on one anothers efforts however.

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Some people thrive on controversy and confrontation. Me? I like for everyone to get along! Does that make me boring?

1. maudine_05 profile image60
      maudine_05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely NOT!!!!  I like everything bubbly...
      as you quoted "anyone /anything which angers you ,controls you..." so why who'd anyone be bothered for others opinion different from theirs? I mean, if they find your view/perspective unacceptable then be it,as long as you know your stand.

10. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

No habee that doesn't make you boring, makes you a sweetheart! smile And I too like to help ppl. My forum about me helping ppl went bye bye lol I said that if I have any topipcs you have written about just send me the link and i'll link it to mine to help that way smile

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I first joined as CC Riter a year tomorrow. It was not like this then. It seems to have gotten worse since last spring. It is an open door for trouble, and I fear we shall lose it altogether.

12. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Hi, Crazd! I'm really not boring. I'm very funny in person.

13. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Hi, Charlie horse!

14. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm not blaming any one but it seems to have gotten worse the bigger the religion forum has gotten. When I started 75% or more of the posts on the forum were not in the religion forum.

15. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Hi, UW! Yep, it gets pretty nasty over there sometimes. Why can't people debate and discuss without becoming rude?

16. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Exactly-I couldn't agree more, so I simply stay away from those forums.  I think I'm a pretty nice person, myself, boring, perhaps, but pretty danged civilized!  Funny, too!

17. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Lor girl, you are not boring!

18. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I personally have witnessed a couple basic misunderstandings that turned a little ugly and then I had to get involved etc. but most of what I see and do on the forums is intended as humor - comedy - make each other laugh type of thing, but then, there are always people who do not appreciate my type of humor and I get that.  Me - I need to laugh! got to laugh!  None of us can please everybody all the time!  And frankly, while I don't think its boring to be nice, I do get bored when people are ultra-serious all the time and not ready for a good laugh.  and btw I told my boss today the blonde GUY joke and he thought it was hysterical!  he used to be blonde, is now bald!  lol

oh, and I just stay away from religion and politics discussions and that works for me.  I don't have anything to say about a lot of things people talk about.

19. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Personally it doesn't bother me, I'm going to ramble on if you like it or not. I'm more concerned with little clicks on the forums. It's too bad for the new hubbers to feel this way. I know I've tried to converse with many on here and been ignored like I wasn't even there! Oh well so is life huh? I'll just try to produce good hubs and be involved in the community as much as I can. Happy to be here!! smile

1. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ya know?  the same has happened to me sometimes - so that's when I pull out this little guy

then I get some attention, all right!  I am losing my ability to even have a conversation!  sometimes I think I just am talking to the moon!  So, yeh - moon!  How's it feel being so full, moon?  lol

Ha! Love the little guy! I find myself talking to myself too or the wall even. Hey nice talking with ya! yikes

20. profile image0

clicks or cliques? Do we have those here? I just try to get along the best I can and sometimes I really enjoy the drama as it unfolds. It is harmless enough until something really nasty arrives like racism {month of February mostly}and deep hatred or when someone like Usmanali sneaks in. I think that was his name. He caused havoc.

21. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

It occurs to me that a lot of us who join in on forums every day seem to have a bunch of free time - whether it is too much free time I could not say - I have a lot of time because I am a caregiver with not too much to do some of the day, but still I have to be here with my client - so this is ideal.  But I often use the forums as a way to procrastinate because I could be doing other things like writing more hubs, but I do so like to just chit chat away!  Why do other people have this extra time to chit chat? I wonder? hmmmmmm?  Maybe that's its own thread. hmmmmmmm. lol

22. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

I like to chit chat with the best of them, I went on disability retirement recently so I have some time. But not as much as I would like for the forums. I was hoping to have more time for them and my hubs, but it's true what they say when you retire there just isn't enough time in the day! So I'm here and write when I can....smile

1. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

they talked me into it - I had to go look at yuor hubs and left you a comment on GoGirl - very funny hub.  I was just discussing toilet seat covers with a friend - - I am now trying to get up enough courage to say what must be said about them in a hub!

Ha! Thanks Mega. I couldn't believe it when I was writing it either. When you write yours let me know can't wait! No pun intended. yikes

23. Indigitamenta profile image58
    Indigitamentaposted 14 years ago

It starts with me and it ends with me. If I refuse to take part in fights, then as far as I'm concerned hubpages is a peaceful place and as good as any.

24. profile image0

Mostly if one stays away from the controversial threads one can have some nice moments, until a troll arrives. They always do. Ignore them.

Ditto that!! yikes

25. profile image0
    Citrus000posted 14 years ago

Hey K and Mega,
    I had to visit the go girl once again after I read this thread.smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Go-Girl-Are-You-Kidding-Me
    If you have a minute and are interested in a laugh... check it out.

1. Indigitamenta profile image58
      Indigitamentaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is crazy. This woman has one finger in her nose.

Oh well....I've seen worse! yikes

2. Bill Manning profile image68
        Bill Manningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah she likes to poke herself a lot in all her holes,,, JK Citrus000 wink

26. profile image0
    Citrus000posted 14 years ago

Hey bill. smile

27. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Hey girl, how's your night going? Having fun?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)