Suggestion...Invitation Only Threads...

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (39 posts)
  1. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Since there's a place for suggestions...What about an option for starting a thread and inviting specific people to it? Public and Private threads, in other words. That way people could debate a topic without interference, work on a hub project together...other things I probably haven't thought of yet...What do others think?

1. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

a variation of that is already available to you in the form of the comments section on your personal hub(s), and is in fact a way that many do communicate with those of a like mind.  you, as the author, can approve or delete any comments you choose, or if you like, make certain trolls look like complete fools.

it's a great feature to do exactly what you're looking for.  there are already enough popularity contests on hp.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - I personally don't think the forums would be enhanced by this feature; in fact, I think it would create a divisiveness that we just don't need.  And if you want to chat privately with other chosen HP members it's possible to do what other people have suggested, and invite people to a private forum/group elsewhere.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh boy

there's already certain threads that are "invitation only" by default. some of these are clearly gathering places for people who are either friends or like-minded, and people can either decide to post in them or not. the hub tribe thread comes to mind. i've never posted in there because it doesn't interest me, and i certainly didn't need a locked gate to keep me out.

why should you create private forums in a public forum? if you want to chat privately with your buddies, there's always chat utilities.

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeh?  well, we're building a treehouse now, and if you want you can come see it, or not, whatever!

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this
          1. profile image0
            Audreveaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha. That's so funny. big_smile

It's an open community - that would be sad. If people need to gather privately, why not take it off-site?

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This last week I tried to have a few didcussions on threads - some went ok some were hijacked. Not all hubbers come to a thread for discussion like you do. I don't utilize other utilities so this still looks viable to me. Holly smile

3. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You got a lot of solutions to make private clubs.
      You can use MSN, Skype, etc.

2. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

do you mean like having a separate category altogether for private threads? (but how would you keep everyone from commenting, unless you address names specifically, right?) Sounds like a great idea actually...

3. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

I didn't really get far enough to have thought out *how* it would work lol

I don't know...maybe next to "start a new thread" there could also be a "start a private thread" button...then that would take you to a place where you could type in another hubbers name to invite them to that forum...*shrug* Or perhaps it could be on the honor system, and ppl would just agree to stay out of forums where they weren't invited...though I don't know how well that would go over, as they could still be read by others.

MOW thank you for your kind comment on my profile! Isn't it funny how some people can connect with one another even across such a distance!?

4. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

yes , cool... but implementing it is another story.. SUGGESTION ;maybe you should offer to code it for them... bigger than just clicking buttons and ...PRESTO... a new feature. Forums are only a bonus really.. we should be asking for better hub capsule features ,IMO.. any more forum features and it will become another myspace or facebook fad ready to hit a web 2.0 bubble like the '00.com bubble.. its about time they added better features to hubs, like offer additional layouts or new capsules or new affiliates to work with since ebay no longer accepts applications... just saying... but otherwise yeah , would be a cool feature

1. TheGlassSpider profile image65
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well...I sure have no problems with any of your other suggestions...this is just the one that came to my mind.

lol I *wish* I could offer to code it for them...If I could I wouldn't be snowed in in Crap-on-a-Map, WV.

5. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

Great idea, but the only way I could see it working would be if it was set up with the originator being the moderator, i.e. they had the right to block people from the forum that they wanted to 'uninvite', or people needed to get a 'vote' from existing forum posters before they could join.... three votes against and you are out so to speak.

I also agree that better hubcaps would be great, as I come from using Dreamweaver/Photoshop and InDesign, these features seem limited, great for and better than most WYSIWYG online html pages, but still limited.

However most folk don't even use the features currently available, and I can see that a standardised format is better than some people having stunning pages and others publishing dogs ears because they don't know how to use all the bells and flashing lights.

1. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think a voting system will just end up with certain people blocking certain other people because of a difference in opinion that may be perfectly valid, which would make many forum posts unfair for many people. No, I think it should stay an open forum. Otherwise some people will just want their opinion repeated back to them, and all others will be cast out/ignored.

6. dave272727 profile image60
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

I think it sounds like a fantastic idea!  Imagine, a place where hub collaboration could be conducted in peace and privacy.  A conversation could be held without fear of "prying" eyes.  It would make so much sense to do this.  It would also cut down on a lot of the BS that goes on.  Name calling, bickering, etc.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And that way you only have to "debate" with those who agree with you lol

1. dave272727 profile image60
        dave272727posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not particularly.  I don't make a habit of debating to be honest.  I do understand where you are coming from I think.  However, I think that this could be a good thing.  I doubt it will happen, but I have to give credit where credit is due.  I believe this to be a sound idea.

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
        that was my thought too, Uninvited Writer.
        Must be a miracle; this is at least the second time I've agreed with you.....

2. mega1 profile image79

You could invite people to discuss an issue with you in a specific email chatroom and have that privacy - just sayin'!

3. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, the idea is appealing. I play word games at pogo and we are allowed to have private tables for invited screen names to participate, blocking others from wandering in. If we could make threads like that I think more discussions would be productive provided the participants have that intent. smile
        Cool thoughts Glass Spider, Holly smile

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I would hope that the HP team would put more work into more Hub features and widgets than the forum - which is not the main reason most of us are here. Of the estimated 122,000 hubbers how many come to the forums?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to say my thoughts are along these lines.

After all, there are thousands of other sites and groups where a bunch of Hub authors could form their own "coffee klatch" if they wish to have private conversations.

1. Michael Willis profile image69
        Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree! There are private chat rooms on the web that could be used by invitation only. The person can moderate those as they will. No need for Hubpages to be part of that.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. There's too much emphasis on the forums already.

8. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I don't think it is a good idea to have private forums - the forums by definition are public meeting and discussion places.  If you want to discuss privately why not give your email address to certain hubbers you want to discuss with and use the chat feature in gmail or other email places. 

The fun of the forums is that they are public and you meet new people this way.  I know that thread "hijacking" to talk about something else or to just say hi back and forth and exchange pleasantries is disappointing and irritating when you had a good discussion going, but I can live with it.  If you posted the thread it helps to remind people every once in awhile to focus on the original question. 

If I get out of line in the forums I hope people will just say - stop it, mega - and I will slap myself around and get back in line!

9. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Stop it Mega.

1. mega1 profile image79

otay - slap slap!

10. profile image0

Is there a Virtual VIP list or something? big_smile

1. mega1 profile image79

do I know you?  (looking down nose)

11. profile image0

Ah, crud! Even in here there's a velvet rope!

1. mega1 profile image79

see, now, you've interrupted, er hijacked, the discussion - bad boy denno, bad boy!

12. profile image0

Um, we ARE the discussion. lol

13. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

If you want to work together on a project, try google documents.  It allows for multiple users, and is considered private.

14. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

cosette , Great cartoon and I love the ending! Thread got hijacked again DOOOOHH!

If you want to collaborate, theres always the "email this hubber" feature.

glass Spider, not trying to knock your idea because it would be cool but at what point does  turn from a place to write hubs than to another cool place to hang for teenagers. Facebook was originally set up for professionals to collaborate and turned into a place for teen and preteen kids to post photos to other classmates.  Completely off the original idea for professional to collaborate. Now the only thing its good for is posting a few links to hubs or lenses. Hubpages would drowned with the rest of the web 2.0 companies if hubbers started hanging out and not writing which is how they generate money.  Once the vitual bar and private sauna rooms become a feature i'm outta here.

Business models with no real marketing are the next fad and will fail. this from the about us page of twitter , i suggest alot of people check out the actual about us page:http://twitter.com/about#about - click the" how does twitter make money tab"

"Twitter has many appealing opportunities for generating revenue but we are holding off on implementation for now because we don't want to distract ourselves from the more important work at hand which is to create a compelling service and great user experience for millions of people around the world. While our business model is in a research phase, we spend more money than we make."

adding kiddie features while losing the real reason for being at hubpages destroys the business model making it nonprofitable and hitting a dotcombubble doomed to fade as the next fad. Hubpages has a real business model so lets not make it overwhelmingly kiddish and forget the real reason for being here.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

lol

16. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

hello Mike smile

1. Michael Willis profile image69
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey there. Watching football and decided to check forums for a minute.

17. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

smilesmilesmile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)