Which niches are doing well and which are struggling?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 5 years ago

From what I am reading here and seeing for myself:

Struggling....... dangarden, owlcation, pethelpful, remedygrove

Okay...............exemplore, reelrundown, happyholiday

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Can't speak for anyone else but I am reasonably happy with Feltmagnet.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Axleaddict is recovering ...started doing this several days ago.  Am hoping it will continue.  Have to check about the others.

3. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

About 75% of my work is on Exemplore, and I'm happy. I also get good traffic from Owlcation, and I have articles on Letterpile which do well. But I never interpreted them as creative writing, they were instructional pieces about astrology. I still don't believe that's the right niche, but have had this argument and the admin isn't going to see it my way.

4. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Most of my hubs are on Dengarden and doing poorly but I write on gardening and there is not a whole lot of gardening going on in the winter so I am not concerned.  If traffic does not start to pick up in February as usual, then I will start to worry.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91

People in the Southern Hemisphere are gardening when it's Winter in the Northern one. I only have two gardening articles, but they do well in the Winter in NJ as well. The traffic comes from Australia and New Zealand.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

Most of my stuff ends up on either ReelRundown or Spinditty, and I'm happy with the results on both, for whatever that's worth.

I reckon it is worth trying to build up a picture of what is happening.

If there is no recovery on the sites that are struggling, it might be worth focusing on the others.

Also, stuff like this does not happen without a reason.

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 5 years ago

Most of mine is on Dengarden, and I'm satisfied with what I'm seeing.  Traffic is down maybe 10% from it's high point a few months ago, but that could well be the season.  How many people want to build a covered deck in the middle winter? Or install a new roof? smile

3. Shesabutterfly profile image94
      Shesabutterflyposted 5 years ago

My articles on wehavekids, pethelpful, & letterpile have not recovered.

My letterpile article is actually the worse I've seen it in a long time. I wasn't happy it was moved to letterpile in the first place, but it had actually done okay for awhile.

My delishably articles are still doing well.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

I am happy with DenGarden, ReelRundown, Delishably, and ToughNickle. Overall, my views and $$ are up and up.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago

Dengarden is okay for me. As is Turbofuture and Toughnickel. Owlcation seems badly hit.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image94
          Shesabutterflyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My top performing article is on Owlcation and was doing great until recently. It went viral for a few days last week and today it hit an all time low. I have not seen such low views from this article since before its move to the niche site.

It's in the #1 spot on Google and I have been seeing some great traffic from it. Today it's at a 66% drop from what I was seeing before it went viral.

1. littlething profile image93
            littlethingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've been seeing heavy hits on Owlcation as well. All of my niche articles are there, and all are down to about 10% of their weekly views previous to this. Hoping the numbers recover soon.

2. MizBejabbers profile image87
          MizBejabbersposted 5 years ago

I have one article in Dengarden that is doing great. Letterpile is doing the best for me. However, I started to do a series of travel articles, and my first one was doing well until it was moved to Wanderwisdom, then it died a slow death. I haven't wasted my time doing any more, and if I do, I'll request that they not be moved to Wanderwisdom.

3. CYong74 profile image96
          CYong74posted 5 years ago

My Owlcation hubs have taken a hit but the best-performing ones are still delivering, reasonably.

On the other hand, my reelrundown ones are quite badly affected.

Letterpile has always been in the deep misty valley for me. But once in a while, they still send up some crops.

The picture is getting more and more confusing, lol. But it is still interesting, so thanks for people's input so far...

1. littlething profile image93
              littlethingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps topic plays a role? I mostly write about mythology and history.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91

littlething,
                Mythology is mostly what I have on Owlcation, and people seem to love it. I have a few book reports, but they don't do as well. I read a lot, and used to write book reviews. But you are competing with the publishers and newspaper reviews of the book. So even if your article is good, you have to title it differently, or approach the report of it from a new angle. I found it's not worth it. It will end up on Page 6 of Google.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
              PaulGoodman67posted 5 years agoin reply to this

If you have plenty of hubs, the easiest way is to go to Adsense and study the graphs for the various niche sites over the past year.

I don't think you'll get much of a picture by asking hubbers, Will. It's all too anecdotal. smile

Of course, the people the best figures are HubPages.

Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can only see useful data for a couple of sites, so this thread has been helpful for me.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
            LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

Imagine if Feltmagnet had a better name that indicated to viewers the types of articles that can be found there....like photography, instead of thinking that it's a site to do felt arts and crafts....

1. wilderness profile image94
              wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If searchers were searching for Feltmagnet (or other site name), then searching for an individual article that gave rise to what they wanted, it might be useful.

But they aren't.  Searchers put in as near to exact as they can, what they want to see, and it isn't a site full of hundreds or thousands of articles that then need searched through. 

In that regard I don't see that it would help at all.  Particularly as it is about arts and crafts of a hundred or thousand different types.

2. sallybea profile image94
              sallybeaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I personally am so grateful that it is called FeltMagnet but I guess I do understand why others might not feel the same.  I recall the first time that I began writing on HubPages and there was no category for my craft.  Paul very kindly added one, the rest is history.

3. eugbug profile image96
            eugbugposted 5 years ago

Traffic down 70% on my articles on Owlcation, probably 50% on Dengarden.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92
            Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Spam!

5. CYong74 profile image96
            CYong74posted 5 years ago

I suppose it has a lot to do with optimization, competition, time-relevancy, etc, too. You might be performing well but then comes a copycat, or worse, a copycat who added recognizable improvements, and there you have it. You're out of the top spots.

Doesn't help that Google keeps changing her demands. Often, without real explanation.

6. Will Apse profile image88

I can see year on year data and, sadly, the decline is not seasonal for me. Sigh...

7. Lovelli Fuad profile image92
            Lovelli Fuadposted 5 years ago

BEST: I have articles on Owlcation, where one article is performing really well compared to the other 5.

Surprisingly, 3 of my articles with ToughNickel are not performing well. Each generates maybe 0 to 10 views max a day. Very rarely more than that.

My 3 articles on TurboFuture are generally generating very low views, but on some rare days they have generated up to 50 or even more a day each.

WORST: My Caloriebee articles and Delishably were generating less than 50 views every month.

8. poppyr profile image93
            poppyrposted 5 years ago

LevelSkip's doing really well, if anyone cares big_smile

Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is that something for young people?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
          Necessary
          HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
          LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
          Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
          AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
          Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
          CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
          Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
          Features
          Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
          Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
          Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
          Marketing
          Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
          Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
          Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
          Statistics
          Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
          ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
          ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)