This is Craziness!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Okay, I know I rant about earnings regularly but seriously something is wrong here.  Just over the last four days - Wed views were down to a little under 900, earnings $1.41. Thursday my views were down to a little over 800, earnings $1.40.  Friday views bottomed out to a little over 500, earnings at $1.60. Sat. views still down at a little over 700, earnings at $1.18. Sunday views up to about 5000, earnings $1.60.  Today views will be up to at least 10,000 and I expect earning to be somewhere between $1.40 and $1.65.  My traffic seems to not matter one bit and there is clearly a ceiling regarding what I can earn.  This has been going on for over a year now and no one from HP will address it.  Someone has to be earning off of my views- I just know it's not me.  On one site after two months, I'm already earning 2 to 3 times what I'm earning hear after almost 3 years and on another site after a month and a half I'm earning 10 times what I'm earning here.

1. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You should be getting at least a couple of dollars per 1000 views.

Where is the traffic coming from?

Also have you seen the thread about issues with approved sites in adsense?

Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Traffic is coming almost exclusively from Google.  Yes the sites are approved in ad sense.

I think there may be a glitch somewhere in the code.

Are all these extra views on one hub on one network site?

Ask HP to check if your ad code is inserted properly on that site. It sounds to me like it isn't.

Based on your numbers above it seems your impressions aren't being counted.

For 10,000 views you should be getting 6,000 Impressions (60%). If you're not that's wrong.

The only times I know of when impressions aren't counted is when it's hits from bots or fake traffic.

If you're 100% sure  it's not either of those and you've given permission for all the network sites in your adsense settings (and haven't mistakenly blocked a site - do double check), then it has to be a HP issue.

1. weezyschannel profile image88
            weezyschannelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know you weren't responding to me, but the code is wrong in patientsloungecom and  the pub ID is there but there is no adsense java script or it's wrong,(per Google) and it is not approved, so therefore, I have blank ads from Google and have HP ads only. HP is not  doing much for me as I've emailed them almost every day for a month. They said that it's really no big deal because 98% of my earnings come from therm. That may be true for some of you, but not for me as views have plummeted so bad since my articles have been moved 2-3 to different niche sites.

I had healdove like 4 or 5 months, then some of those got pushed back to HP and then it got changed to patients lounge and then another one was sent over to another site and then rerouted to another site. No wonder nobody is getting traffic because Google's probably like, "what the heck?"

https://hubstatic.com/14413092.jpg

2. Natalie Frank profile image91

I've never seen more than 350 impressions - and this includes the couple of times I had these wacky increases and several other times when views jumped 20% to 25%.  Thats what i dont understand.  If there are 4 to 6 ads per article, each time the article is viewed for whatever the required interval  is then shouldn't that be 4 to 6 impressions? I know it's not exactly like this since 70% to 75%  of my views come from 15 to 20 article which change things but just to try to get a better understanding of this - with 139 articles assuming 1000 views a day x 5 impressions that would be 5000 impressions. I dont know how to estimate click offs but let's assume this is as high as 20% (though none of my articles has only 1 star for duration around 2 to 5 have 2 stars another 15 to 20 have 3  or 4 stars and the rest have 5 stars). That would bring me down to 4000 impressions. Even if this was as high as 50% (and I wouldnt have the duration stars that I do if this were the case) that would still bring me down to only 2500 impressions.  Yet
            My impressions are generally in the high 200s with a blip ing the 300s when I go over 1000 views a day and when I go below about 600 views it drops into th 150 - 175 range for impressions.  I have noticed on numerous occassions it seems like ads were turned off on certain articles for an hour or so especially on the mobile platforms  and this seems to rotate through my articles but figured it was some quirk on my end. I've emailed the team about a few times over the past year this but have never heard back and finally just gave up.  Ive larhwly stopped writing on HP and am considering pulling my articles off and putting them on one of the other platforms instead.  I tried it with two older articles and even without revamping them and on each one I made more in a single month than I had for the previous month on all 139 articles together on HP and 10xs the views.  I just can't shake the feeling that something is off with HP and that it is somehow related to Maven.

All I know is I have emailed several times and I have even called and left messages with tech support. Matt has emailed me twice, out of all the emails, and all he keeps saying is that 98% of my earnings come from HP and basically, it's no big deal, but he will check into it.

It's been over a month now I'm getting no Impressions from patientslounge.

Patients Lounge is added to AdSense sites, they are not blocked. Google has emailed me twice and there is still a warning on AdSense that says there is no source code for patients lounge and I need to add it for ads to show on the site. I don't have access to the root, so I can't do anything about it. I sent a screenshot of the error message in AdSense to the team and now they will not even email me back.

Everything went to hell in a handbasket when the Articles were moved to a niche site, then it was moved back and then to another Niche site and so on.

I don't know what's going on, but I can't even break 50 cents a day anymore and it's not worth it to me to even try to write more articles.

I never wanted to make a second living doing this, but a little extra grocery money and I'm satisfied. But right now, I can't even buy me a cup of coffee a day so they need to fix this because everyone is getting upset and they don't think there's a problem.

I have told them several times that I am not the only one getting These Warnings. On top of that, getting violation warnings from Google regarding a picture of a mole is just ridiculous. It seems as if they're picking on HP now; I'm not sure

2. Susana S profile image93

So you're on adsense only and not HP ads? They each report impressions differently.

With HP ads you'll see around 50-60% of the traffic as impressions. So for 1000 views you'd see 500-600 impressions. (It's usually less than 60% because so many people use adblockers nowadays).

Adsense is pretty much as you've described it. It reports the impressions of all ads on the page.

A page with 1000 views and 5 ads on the page would see around 5000 impressions but you have to account for the 60/40 split with HP so 60% of 5000 = 3000.

Another thing that reports differently between HP and Google are the number of page views so make sure you're comparing like with like.

My google analytics pages views are about 10% lower than HP shows.

Either way, it sounds like you should be getting more impressions. It's harder to see on the smaller numbers but when you get 5,000 or 10,000 views you should definitely see a big jump in impressions as well.

No one would blame you for going where you're earning more. It's a real shame that HP won't look into this properly.

Well, now I know for sure that I am not getting any earnings from Google! Why does HP tell me there is NOT a problem?? HP FIX THIS PLEASE

Are you using HP ads or adsense only?

If you're on HP ads you will see some adsense impressions but not that many. This is because there is only one direct adsense ad on the page and it's at the very bottom so a good portion of people won't see it and therefore impressions are often not triggered.

I shut off HP ads for a week just to see if there was any Google earnings at all. There are no impressions from Google and I know 100% positive that there were ads clicked and I have received no earnings from Google from those, whatsoever. It doesn't even show there was an ad clicked because the site is added, patientslounge.com; the problem is that Google is emailing me telling me that the source code is missing in patientslounge.com.; So therefore, I get no earnings

2. charlesnuamah profile image91
      charlesnuamahposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Do you mind sharing the sites you are on?

3. Saarith LM profile image90
      Saarith LMposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is just a wild guess but there is a possibility that the problem lies in a lack of ad inventory on Hubpages/Mavens part, which may be intentional, as it would mean that only high quality and high paying ads get shown.

Should this be the case then you will only earn more if you get more views compared to other Hubbers. So if your views go up by 20%, but every other Hubber also gets a 20% hike, then you see no change. If your views go up by 20% and the others see no change on average, then you earn more.

As for the massive view boost, it could be from some silly bots, which do not count.

This could also be an excellent chance to test if Adsense alone would earn you more.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Have you checked copyscape to see if any of these articles have been stolen?  Have you checked with Google to see if you are being penalized for some reason?

5. weezyschannel profile image88

Join the club! Emailed HP for a month now.  Adsense code is missing from Patients  lounge.

Have received emails from Google about it. HP says that 98% of earnings come from them and act like no big deal.  My earnings come from Google because pageviews are so low, that if I make $8 a day from adsense, its something!

https://hubstatic.com/14412123_f1024.jpg

6. weezyschannel profile image88

Wow! You have 3 digits in your earnings, good for you! Mine start with .0 and the highest number is 9 ...getting ridiculous

7. profile image0
      Anusha Nimrodposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is there a thing called "internal traffic"? I read somewhere that hupages doesn't count internal trffic for revenues. I'm actually new here. Sorry if I'm misleading you.

1. theraggededge profile image88
        theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Always best to start your own thread if you have a question not related to the original topic.

Internal traffic is traffic from within HubPages, in other words, other hubbers. It does count for earnings, but not much.

To earn here you need to be aiming for 1000+ views per day. You won't get that from internal traffic.

1. profile image0
          Anusha Nimrodposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! :-)

8. weezyschannel profile image88

HEADS UP! MYSTERY SOLVED

I finally received an email from Google... Make sure that each niche sites are added to Google sites in your AdSense account... It took two and a half weeks for them to approve it. As of a month or two ago, Google changed things. It doesn't matter what site in is- whether it's your own, or whether it is a hosted partner site, you have to add it to that... It used to be, all Hubpages and the niche sites were automatically added, but they are not any longer. It just took a specially long to approve for some reason.

1. viryabo profile image95
        viryaboposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is wonderful news weezyschannel. I know you can now heave a sigh of relief.

Matt had to contact Google there was a glitch or something but it finally happened

9. EsmeSanBona profile image81
      EsmeSanBonaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm seeing the exact same thing.  My page views are up, going up every day, but my revenue is going in the inverse direction.  My earnings are less this month than they were in January as well and January is always my slowest month.  It's frustrating to say the least.

Well, I guess I get to join in on this conversation! The whole thing has just gone downhill. If it wasn't for my few Amazon sales, it would take me almost 6 months or longer to hit payout on HP. Very disappointing, very aggravating; to say the least and I don't know what is going on because it would be nice if HP would let everyone know what or why is going on.

I do not have a lot of articles, I just don't; I'm happy with what I have.  I have a lot of health issues, so it's difficult for me to sit  lately and start writing.

The just hitting pay out every month was sufficient for me. There were times where I would double the payout amount (and more) and that was great! But for the last 6 months or longer, it's not even worth trying to write another article.

2. theraggededge profile image88
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

How is it possible to jump from 700 to 5,000 to 10,000?

My views and earnings are pretty stable, not much difference from day to day.

It was one of those strange jumps that happen every so often.  I expect it will  go back down to around 1000 in the next few days.

3. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

Those are some crazy traffic fluctuations. What are the sources? Also, which other sites are you on?

4. Nell Rose profile image86
    Nell Roseposted 5 years ago

Well I have been on here for 10 years, and my earnings never go more than 200 dollars a month, at the moment its gone right down again. Good thing I love writing here, isn't it? makes you wonder!

If it wasn't for Amazon, it would take me more than 6 months to hit payout. everything was fine before I got moved to another, and I mean another niche site after just being established on heal dove. I don't know what the hell happened, I've emailed and everything because I'm getting an error from Google that emails me telling me that I need to put the source code in patientslounge to be eligible to be paid for ads. If I shut off HP ads and only use Google, I have blank advertisements

5. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Yes, that is a crazy fluctuation.  There was a thread about it with someone else saying they had one of these types of fluctuations.  I had it happen twice before it stayed up for a few days and then went back to normal.  Almost all of the traffic is from Google.  This is what I keep saying.  No matter what my views  are my impressions are always seem to average around 300 a day and my earnings stay roughly the same.  Until last month that was just enough to make the $50 payout each month but now it's dropped below and  didn't make payout last month and unless something changes I won't this month either.  It truly seems there is some kind of manual ceiling in use here.

6. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

That is quite a fluctuation. My views are pretty steady and climb like a tortoise. It sounds like those other sites are much better for your topics. What other sites are you on?

1. Eurofile profile image95
      Eurofileposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking of just the same question.   Divulging the answer might spark a mass exodus from Hub Pages though. If it's any consolation, I have yet to make first pay out, but I keep plodding on, in the hope that I might eventually get there.

7. ziyena profile image90
    ziyenaposted 5 years ago

Like Eurofile, almost all of my hubs are on niche sites save for three or four.  What I find interesting is that more than half of my articles are on the first Google ranked page and range anywhere within the second to fifth placement from top spot.  Given such high visibility, one would think I’d have more traffic than a few hits per day.  So, in my case - I'm still making nothing but pennies per day with the Google and HP programs.  I’ve done everything, use editing tools, revamped each site, taken in all the informative tips from some of the best, even had help from staff editors on some of my more challenging articles.  I’ve checked Google Trends, which gives me a monthly estimate of visitor percentages in the hundreds to thousands each month on quite a few of my topics yet again, I get little if any traffic according to GOOGLE statistics except for one lucky article which remains consistent with an average of thirty to forty visits each day.  So, I don’t think questioning the system is troublesome or wrong when you know you’ve done everything within your ability to upgrade your articles to garner traffic.  

Is there a favoritism scheme by Google or HP to keep certain people down while elevating others?  I don’t know and I’d hope not.  I’d like to think it’s about the better writer or more skilled SEO strategist excelling than the latter mention.  My two very little cents  … Cheers and Ta!   

1. Jeremy Gill profile image93
      Jeremy Gillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sorry things aren't going your way. To be fair, simply being on a niche site doesn't guarantee traffic--you've probably heard Hubbers say that 90% of income comes from 10% of articles, which I've found to be true.

I recommend dipping into a few different areas to see where you can get the most views. Also, remember February also isn't the best month for earnings, which will hopefully improve sometime into March.

1. Jean Bakula profile image87
        Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I find most traffic comes from a specific group of articles. I have many articles on the first page of Google, but that just means it's one of the best on the subject, not that anyone is necessarily reading it a lot.

2. Susana S profile image93

Some phrases get very few searches so being on the first page for them will not bring much traffic either.

You also have to be mindful of how you check your positions because Google gives you the results it thinks you want based on your past search behaviour.

1. ziyena profile image90
        ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tips.  Appreciated

3. SOE profile image63
      SOEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Keep in mind that, it at least used to be a thing, that google will tailor search results to the individual user and if you spend a lot of time searching for or just spending time on your article's pages, where google can know this, your own results will be given higher priority when you search for them, because google knows you want to see them.

It can mess with your ability to tell where your own articles rank to other people, so it can help to use a proxy search or some alternative that hides you as the end user, if you want to get a better idea of how your articles actually rank.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Trust me, there is no "scheme" to favor some writers above others.  If you you are looking at your articles on Google on your own computer, you will always see your articles ranking well.  This is because Google is set up to let you see what you want to see!  Go to a library and search on a different computer that is not connected to you in any way.  There is where you'll see your real rankings.  Also, being on page one doesn't always translate to getting views.  Much depends on what you're writing about.  Writing about purple ant eaters will hit page one because nobody writes about them...but hardly anybody searches for that topic either!

1. ziyena profile image90
        ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've had my articles searched on another device unrelated to my IP or Google settings and it actually shows the article that I mentioned getting thirty to forty hits per day taking top spot with a snippet yet on MY device it shows lesser ranking and of course does not show any snippet.  Definitely, the results fluctuate.  Thanks for your response

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Almost everything is automated so there would be no way to show much favortism even if there was a reason for it.  Some people excel, some people get lucky, most hubs get less than a visit a day so lackluster results are the norm. I published over 100 hubs before I created one that actually earned much money.

9. dwelburn profile image91
    dwelburnposted 5 years ago

Would you mind telling us what those other two sites are? My views are down again, and earnings down even more, proportional to views.

I have pethelpful, patents lounge and hubpages

10. weezyschannel profile image88
    weezyschannelposted 5 years ago

My patients Lounge articles are lucky to get 15-20 views a day

And some of these were getting over 100 in 3 hours before it got switched to patients Lounge

I think views are down because of all the transfers to the niche sites and they keep getting moved once they get established in a month or two, they get moved again. But right now my biggest problem, is that I am not getting anything from adsense at all because the script is not in it.

I can't contact anyone via email at Google because I don't over $20 a day so you have to just go to the webmaster forum and they don't know what to do because this is through hubpages.

I emailed hubpage team again today hoping to get someone to do something about the code so I can get paid for my ads from Google

1. theraggededge profile image88
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Are you seeing earnings from the Hub Ads program?

Not through patients lounge, just hubpages and pethelpful

2. weezyschannel profile image88

I mean yes, through hubpages ( views) but no Ad clicks from patients Louunge or AdSense clicks from patients lounge. Just CPM from HP

2. Sherry Hewins profile image91
      Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have the same issue with Patients Lounge. It's not on the site list on Adsense, and I can't add it (it gives me code to add to my page). Not a huge deal for me as I only get about 25 views a day there right now. Still, it would be nice to get it sorted out.

Pethelpful is on my site list.

You also have to figure, even if you had 20 views a day, you're not earning if they click on the Google ad, so in retrospect, I'm losing 6-2 $10 a day on an average and I'm not real happy about it. They are not doing anything and I don't know why.

Have you emailed HP support? I think if everybody that had the same problem would let them know, it's a possibility they may do something. I just keep getting told that they're going to talk to Google and that 98% of my earnings come from HP, but they'll check into it;  does not take this long

2. weezyschannel profile image88

Was wondering if you contacted HP support yet? Because I think they think I'm the only one that has a problem, but they're not really even considering it a problem; they're not the ones that's losing money, I am

Here's the response I got (twice)

https://hubstatic.com/14413325_f1024.jpg

1. Sherry Hewins profile image91
          Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

OK, I've emailed them.

1. sirama profile image90
            siramaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@Sherry, How do I contact Editor?

Team@hubpages.com

11. Alvina Martino profile image50
    Alvina Martinoposted 5 years ago

I already read this type of masg of an Indian guy...HP must take notice of this serious issue .....

12. stuff4kids profile image61
    stuff4kidsposted 5 years ago

I think most of us would REALLY like to know what those other two sites are. Do please tell! smile

1. Alvina Martino profile image50
      Alvina Martinoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LoL, Exactly big_smile

Medium is one I think. Not sure about the other.

13. stuff4kids profile image61
    stuff4kidsposted 5 years ago

Goodness, that's so upsetting for you - and confusing, too. I won't be surprised if you decide to take your talent and expertise elsewhere. Especially if you're doing so well on the other two sites you mentioned. It may be worth your time transferring your work there. What are those sites, by the way, just out of interest?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)