Q&A Update

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (36 posts)
  1. samanthacubbison profile image82
    samanthacubbisonposted 3 years ago

We are in the introductory stages of discussing ways in which our premium Network Sites might benefit from some of the improvements made to Maven’s other properties like Sports Illustrated. This process of adapting front-end improvements to our Network Sites takes careful thought and planning by our engineering team.

Our team periodically reviews the relevance of HubPages features that have been used throughout the years, and all of our decisions are made to benefit the community and maintain the health of our sites. After careful consideration, our team has decided to retire the Q&A feature on 6/10. No new questions will be accepted at this time, but all current Q&A content will remain. While it might be difficult to say goodbye to this feature that authors have grown accustomed to, there is a lot to look forward to in the upcoming weeks. Please continue to check back in on our forums as we announce these exciting new changes.

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yay!  I won't miss the Q&A feature.  People were using it to get information quickly without having to actually read my articles.  Or they didn't bother reading questions that had already been asked and asked the same questions.  It's been a lot of time and effort that I would rather put into editing old hubs and writing new ones.  Thank you for retiring the Q&A.

1. Danny Fernandes profile image70
        Danny Fernandesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I wish we get a new feature soon

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
          Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

It will come out at the right time.

2. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Is Liftigniter coming our way?

3. EricFarmer8x profile image94
      EricFarmer8xposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I never really had a chance to use the Q&A much.

I answered some questions, but the questions started to become repetitive. Also, some questions were very low effort. I got the impression people did not bother to read anything and just felt like skipping everything by asking things.

By the time I would get done editing and writing answers, it felt like I was writing the questions for my benefit. Not for random people who might not even come back and see the answer.

I can't say how much benefit I got from it. I suppose a few of the pages generated a tiny amount of ad impressions for me? It is not noteworthy for sure.

I am very curious to see what new features plan on being added.

4. Tim Truzy info4u profile image93
      Tim Truzy info4uposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Samantha. I always felt a little guilty for not using the Q&A option. I always suspected, generally speaking, human behavior prefers a shortcut (ask the author as opposed to reading the article), and now I know my suspicions were valid. Great news.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Lately, I understand the. Q & A helps to increase traffic. Now, it is being withdraw when I want to implement it. How terrific!

6. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am thrilled to see the Q&A go. Everyone asked questions which were answered in the articles. Also, they ask and type like they do to their friends on their phones. I was sick of correcting the questions into correct English.

1. viryabo profile image94
        viryaboposted 3 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Philip Agutu profile image81
    Philip Agutuposted 3 years ago

Saddened by the sudden withdrawal of the Q&A feature. Nonetheless, thanks for the update.

3. Carb Diva profile image95
    Carb Divaposted 3 years ago

I agree with Old Roses. Whenever I received a notification that there was a new Question on one of my Hubs, I would cringe.

1. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 3 years agoin reply to this

big_smile
      Thought I was the only one.

4. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 3 years ago

Yay. Pleased to see the back of it.

5. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 3 years ago

Will we still be able to edit or hide an old question or answer as we can do now? This might be necessary if we discover new information or if researchers discover new facts that make an answer incorrect.

samanthacubbisonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you will still be able to edit and hide!

1. AliciaC profile image92
        AliciaCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing the information, Samantha!

6. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago

I doubt I’ll miss the Q&A because readers can always leave questions in the comments. One thing that would be a great feature, going forward, is the ability to edit comments—at least once before we approve them. I liked that we could do that with Q&A, and I always wished we had the same control with comments. 

Some readers have very poor grammar. I leave them as a courtesy just a week or so, with my answer. But then I delete them for SEO reasons. Editing comments would solve that problem.

I also have the same question as Alicia, will we continue to have access to editing functions on exiting Q&A?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm guessing the edit a comment option will never be a thing because you can edit someone else's message whereas questions were anonymous. It would be nice to at least have the HP edit bot work on the comments to fix spellings, if not grammar. Editing the comments would be ideal though. At least if the users are not registered.

7. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

Fine by me. I'm looking forward to the new developments.

My mindset is the outlook.

8. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 3 years ago

Looking forward to what's planned. I'm glad to see the QnA feature go. It was something I wanted gone from the day it was introduced due to the negative effects in terms of SEO (Each question was a page on its own back in the day) which was only outweighed by the fact that most questions were from lazy folk who did not even bother to read the introduction to the article.

9. Holly Howard profile image89
    Holly Howardposted 3 years ago

Great news! I'm happy to see an end to the "thin content" and found that many of the questions I received were just mildly abusive rants from angry people instead of actual questions. This is a good move!

10. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 3 years ago

Happy to see Q&A go.

I will now wait in fear for whatever new changes HP has in mind.

11. Danny Fernandes profile image70
    Danny Fernandesposted 3 years ago

Every platform goes through a metamorphosis. It is good to periodically look for leaks and go for improvements. It would be better if we find alternatives for Q & A since that's where engagement happens.

12. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 3 years ago

Good move!

13. Ben716 profile image92
    Ben716posted 3 years ago

I will dearly miss the Q&A. I got used to it especially answering relationship and literature questions.

Ain't I sad?

It's true some never bothered to read the article instead diving into asking a question. In my case, 99.9% of questions were related to the articles but not discussed in the article.

Well, goodbye Q&A.

14. Jeremy Gill profile image91
    Jeremy Gillposted 3 years ago

The thing I'll miss about the Q&A is its option to edit questions, very useful for correcting grammar of otherwise-helpful questions, especially with young readers prone to slang.

15. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Good. I was actually relieved when I received the Hub-Weekly that announced this. Although I initially liked answering legitimate questions from readers, it became tedious and, at times, a little sticky. Sometimes the questions were so involved, I ended up providing what felt like supportive online counseling for free! Since the pandemic, I get paid for that doing telehealth. Glad I don't have to be conflicted anymore about wanting to help but needing to set limits. I also think liability issues were always looming in the background with the types of articles I write. Thanks, HP Staff for making this wise decision.

16. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 3 years ago

I enjoyed it when I answered a question and my answer got a lot of "up-doots." I guess other than that, it was annoying.

I would get questions like, "How could you be so stupid as to think...." Heh.

17. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 3 years ago

Glad to see it go. In most cases I felt my questions were from a student using my work for an English assignment and wanted me to answer all the assignment questions for them.

18. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 3 years ago

That is a good news. Sometimes people just asked questions wherein the answers were already in the article itself. I have noticed that they didn´t read the article. Thanks for sharing the information.

19. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 3 years ago

Glad the Q&A is officially dead. I had put it to sleep already long time ago.

Samatha, when will HP release the replacement for the Q&A? That is my current mindset. Many thanks.

samanthacubbisonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi!

We are not planning on replacing Q&A with any specific feature, just pivoting our attention to making the site better in different ways. Stay tuned. smile

Samatha/HP, make it unique, and thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)