Google Analytics

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Nikolas Turustus profile image46
    Nikolas Turustusposted 2 years ago

Dear Hubbers, probably, it is too general question, but I'd like to know how do you use your Google Analytics Reports? Yours

1. profile image0
      yourrandombrotherposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hey Nikolas, first go to your hubpages earning section, you might see an id under the heading google analytics, you need to copy and paste it on your google analytics account. I guess that should help. Its been a long time since I've done this but I guess this is what I did and it worked for me.

1. Chatty Chat profile image88
        Chatty Chatposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I do it the same way. I don’t know an easier way to see the reports.

Nikolas Turustusposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. You are my lighthouse. Yours

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't clear to me if the question was about setting up GA or using it. At any rate, as far as using it goes, I mainly use it to see what source my traffic is coming from and the volume of it. Was better when we had Webmaster Tools too, so we could get insights into keywords.

Thanks, l'll try webmaster tools. Yours

1. NateB11 profile image89

It's now called Google Console and you can't use it for Hubpages anymore, that was my whole point. If you have your own website you can use it. I used to all the time.

today i write my draft article as Word document and then pass to hp capsules. It permits to check out the text in different directions. Yours

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago

Nikolas, the two responses above are both backwards.

To use Google Analytics to show reports of your HubPages activity, you need to let HubPages know your tracking code assigned by Google. 

Log into your Google Analytics and click “admin” and then select “property settings.”

If you didn’t already create a property for HubPages, click “create property” and fill in the data. In that property you will see your assigned tracking code.

Now open HubPages in a second tab on your browser and go to your earnings page.  Click “configure” on the left of “Google Analytics” and copy and paste your Analytics tracking code in the Affiliate code field. 

Once you complete that, your Analytics reports will begin to accumulate data on your hubs.

3. bravewarrior profile image88
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

I type Google Analytics in the search bar, click the first link that appears, and my page pops right up. Perhaps because I'm always signed into Google when I'm online?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That is only working for you because you already created an analytics account, you’re already signed into Google, and you have ”personal results” enabled in your Google settings.

4. Rupert Taylor profile image94
    Rupert Taylorposted 2 years ago

I'm puzzled by Analytics and find the data it disgorges is useless. Knowing that a one-legged, French-speaking, sheep farmer in New Zealand has read an article doesn't affect me in the slightest.

I see from the latest report that I have a peak in viewers at 10 a.m. on Wednesdays. In what way am I supposed to take advantage of that nugget of information?

If I click on a tab marked "Paid Keywords" I get a series of boxes all with zeros in them. No price is too high to pay for crucial data such as this.

The reports are filled with so much arcane information that I would have to hire an expert to explain it all; something that cannot be justified on the HubPages stipend.

I'll just keep what I'm doing because it amuses me and keeps me out of sordid dens of iniquity.

1. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Rupert, I'm not sure how to read my reports either.

Glenn, have you or another HP author written an in-depth article on how to read and make use of Google Analytics? I'd rather read it in layman's terms than Googlese.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

When I read Rupert's post above, I thought it would be good to write an in-depth article explaining how I use Google Analytics.

However, I decided against it since there already is a lot of competition with instructions on Google's support community. All the resources are already there.

As for you, Rupert, you're focusing on the wrong things. The best way to begin is to think about what's missing in the HubPages reports that you would want to know. Then create a custom report in Analytics.

For example, I created a custom report that shows me all my hubs that had traffic from Pinterest.

You don't even need to create custom reports. For example, the default report shows you how long readers spend on each hub. That one piece of data is valuable information.

When I see a repeated short visit to a particular hub, I scrutinize it to see why I lost the readers. If the view duration is only a few seconds, the problem is usually in the first paragraph. It usually turns out that I didn't make it clear right at the start what the reader is going to get from my article. That's an easy fix, and I wouldn't have known I had the problem without looking at the Analytics reports.

See the point, Rupert? Stop focusing on silly things like those you mentioned, and look for data that you need.

1. greenmind profile image93
          greenmindposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great advice, Glen. Maybe you can help me -- I tried to use the code Analytics gave me, which began with a G-. HP said it need a UA- prefix. I'm kind of stuck.

Thanks, our discussion continues. Yours

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
        Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

bravewarrior, I am after you. I would like to read the article likewise.

5. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 2 years ago

LOL @Rupert.

I've never used GA, and probably never will.

6. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 2 years ago

As per the discussion going on, I have not set up GA and use it ever. Is it a free webmasters tool from Google?                                     It surprised me that many big writers here have not access to GA. The device I opined would be of little use, right?

Our articles are checked out by different programs based on the principles of    the mathematical linguistics and logic. As a result a certain number of key words decide to be or not to your work featured. Yours

2. NateB11 profile image89

Of little use to those who don't know how to use it.

7. bravewarrior profile image88

I found this article that explains what GA is about, how to set it up, and goes over basic reporting. I'll keep searching and post helpful links as I find them.

https://www.crazyegg.com/blog/google-analytics/

8. bravewarrior profile image88

Here's an awesome video called "Google Analytics Tutorial 2021". For those of us who have GA set up, I suggest you open your GA page and follow along with the narrator. It will help you understand the reports and how to use them. Some of the reports are not available to HP authors for the simple fact that we are not webmasters; we're contributors, so don't have authorization to activate certain modules, particularly those that involve Google Ads. We no longer have that capability since HP disabled Adsense years ago.

However, for those of you who have websites/domains that you do own, there's lots of beneficial information regarding conversations and how to target your audience based on the behaviors Google tracks within your site.

Nikolas, this tutorial will help you set up your Google Analytics account. I think that was what you were originally asking when you opened this thread.

I also learned that the latest version of GA is called Google Analytics 4. What we're using and linked to on HP is Universal Analytics, thus the UA code.

Anyway, all on this forum will benefit from the video. I encourage everyone who's not adept at reading/interpreting the GA reports to watch it. It airs for 55+ minutes and well worth the time. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRCAfFKtbg0

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)