Favorite Inspirational Comments that Kept Me Writing

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (84 posts)
  1. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 2 years ago

This one's from an HP writer, Dusty or 50 Caliber, who's no longer with us. Thankfully, I saved his words to remember his kindness. This was on a hub I wrote in 2012.

https://hubstatic.com/15793501.jpg

1. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hello Peg!
      So thoughtful of you to share this comment. HubPages has given us such wonderful friends, and they are in our thoughts forever, even if many of them have left.
      I agree with you that the encouraging words from the fellow writers has always helped us to improve, and better the art of writing.
      I hope they don’t remove the previous comments from the articles.
      I will complete ten years in April 2022, and during this enjoyable association with HP, I have made great friends, from all over the World, and I cherish each one of them, including you.
      At a time, when all of us are missing the interaction with the fellow writers, through the comments section, this was soothing to read.
      I wish you all the best. Thank you.

PegCole17posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hello Chitrangada, You are among my favorites when it comes to commenting and spurring me on to write more. Thanks for always being there and for leaving such inspirational messages. You've truly been a friend over the years, although we've never met in person. I hope you will continue to be blessed and keep writing.
        The old comments on a hub that I idled and then republished yesterday are no longer showing up so it looks like they may be gone. I hope they will be reinstated.
        Hugs.

2. Brenda Arledge profile image81
        Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Chitrangada.  I hope they don't delete comments, they really make us feel hoid to go back through them & read them all.

I can see why these comments touched you...please cherish them as you remember.

Dear Brenda, I'm with you on keeping the old comments. They are the glue that holds us close to our craft. I've found some more comments that I plan to share, filled with words that kept me writing through troubled times, packed with hope and kindness. Keep writing, P

2. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Peggy, you've inspired me to go thru some of my articles and revisit the comments. The most cherished and inspirational/motivational are those that are left on my short stories. I tend to lean towards the paranormal when I write fiction.  Here a just a few comments made on my story, "The First Assignment", written in 2020 in response to one of Bill's picture prompts:

From Ruby: "Boy, did you tell a story! I loved it and the dialog, how did you do that? Shauna, I hope your muse woke up and will never go to sleep again! This event happened 50 years ago and he was 75 woke me up to a paranormal thrill. Can you tell that I really got into this story?"

From Verlie: "Great imaginative response to the picture prompts Shauna. I have to concur with your other readers in this comment stream, you've got the storyteller's gift. I enjoyed the narrator's voice, and the voice of the old man telling his story. It's inspiring to see your enthusiasm for writing these challenges."

And from John (Jodah): "Great job Shauna. I had no idea where the story as going but your engaging writing style always captures me and pulls me along for the ride. I love the order you used the photos an wove them into the story. this paranormal fiction niche certainly suits you."

Comments are so important to keep us motivated and inspired to write. I hope Staff gets wind of this thread. This is proof in the puddin'.

Those are some wonderful comments, Shauna. Thanks for taking the time to find them and for sharing these words of encouragement. Music to the ears of any writer and you certainly are a great one. I hope you'll find more of them to keep sharing. Maybe we can convince the powers that be to return our valuable asset, comments.
        One of the best ones I ever got was from you when you said that you love to see my name pop up in the feed with a new release and that you read whatever I write. Wow. That was something!

1. bravewarrior profile image86

That's absolutely true, Peggy. I also own two of your novels. I read "The Pub" and have started "Looking For Home". Sadly, I don't read nearly as often and voraciously as I once did. It'll probably take me a while to finish this one, but that's only because I allow entirely too much time to go by between reading sessions. Love it so far, though. You're an amazing writer and storyteller!

Oh! Thank you so much for mentioning the books and for getting them. I'm honored by what you said. smile. I see where LetterPile will be rolling out comments. I'm glad to see that! Hooray.

Oh, I missed that. Where and when was that announced? LetterPile is the one place that will benefit the most by having comments restored.

B, It's way down on page 11 in the thread about rolling out comments on AxleAddict. Wish it was more visible.
                From the Staff:
                "Hi all! We will be rolling out comments (still the same system for now) on Soapboxie and LetterPile. They should be live within 24 hours. We are still working on making changes to the commenting system and will keep you all posted on any modifications."

3. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Awesome Peg. What a great idea. I look through my comments now and again, and I feel honoured to have Dusty and Rosemary conversations to look back on. Thanks dear old friend. And yes, time is moving on. What fun we’ve had over the years. So much talent, so much soul. Wonderful there is a record. Glad you found these.

Hello dear V, It's certainly been a trip into the past for me while recovering these comments, especially from friends who've moved on to the next life. We share many mutual friends and I hope I can find more of their words.
        Meanwhile, know that I cherish the thoughts you've shared both in poems and comments as much as I cherish your friendship. P

1. snakeslane profile image80

Aww thanks Peg.
          The fiction and poetry side of Hub pages has never been a moneymaking endeavour (for me anyway, I haven’t made a dime). But the opportunity to practice the craft, and receive feedback from a community of readers (and writers) from all over the world is priceless. I’m hoping the comments issue is resolved tout suite.

2. snakeslane profile image80

Morning Peg.
          So, yes today I see all comments have been removed from my published articles.
          I guess the only way left to find original work with comments still intact is through the wayback archives.

https://web.archive.org/

I did a search this morning and came across one of Rosemary’s poems from 2013 (with comments) so at least there’s that. But it’s a lot of work digging through the years.
          Here’s a link to her poem just to show what can be found with a little digging. A lovely poem by the way.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140407135 … f-My-Heart

Good morning to you! I did some checking on the different niche sites and found my comments sandwiched between lots of advertising way beyond the end of the article. I guess that's what pays the bills. No option for adding a comment that I can see, so far, as was promised (within 24 hours), but it's probably difficult to make the programming changes again.

Thanks for the helpful info on searching for way back stuff. I'll need some practice learning how to work it.
            Wow, Rosemary's poem was really special. Makes me think of her and her sweet spirit. And the comments, so endearing. She was well loved.
            So good to see you. Smiling at this brand new day.

Let me go back and see how I did that.

2. bravewarrior profile image86

What do you click on to find the list of articles? I can't find any of mine when I type in bravewarrior@hubpages.com.

This is the format that I used in the search bar. Using my name snakeslane.Try that?

yourname.hubpages.com

That worked. I see links to my articles, but when I click on them, I get a calendar, not a view of the article.

Click on a dot highlighted in the calendar and it takes you to the page.

Oh, this is great fun. I followed your directions for the Wayback Machine and found some old writeups that I've been fruitlessly searching for in my own files. You are a genius Ms. V. Now I'm busy snipping and saving these precious comments for my own enjoyment! Thank you so much.

Okay, yes I found you.

Yep. Found it. How did you find this site? You're a pretty smart cookie, Verlie!

Lol thanks!
                  I found the wayback machine way back reading forum discussions I guess. Can’t remember now. But it’s interesting to go back through the years and see just how much this site has changed.
                  Have fun!

If you do a search in hub pages for wayback machine you will find lots of articles and forum threads about it.

Thanks, Verlie.

4. bravewarrior profile image86

Peggy, I thought I'd further drive home the point of how important comments are by posting some that were left on my article "Record Keeping Tips for Tax Season", which was written in 2016 and is on Turbo Future. This article has enjoyed a hefty amount of organic search reads. Comments kept coming years after the initial post.

From Ruby: "I usually share an article on Twitter that I deem useful and important to friends or anyone, but twitter is no longer listed. I miss it. This article is really good and presented with easy instructions. Tax time can be stressful if one hasn't kept records. Excellent!"

From you, Peggy: "Hi Shauna, What great ideas for staying organized. I've owned a couple of businesses and found that Excel spreadsheets really do help keep track of expenses and income. At my collectibles store, I created a daily recap form and would use that to balance the register at the end of the day and from there, enter the data into my monthly records. Your explanation was really detailed and easy to follow."

From Shyron Shenko: "Shauna, thank you for all the great tips. I do a lot of stuff with spread sheets, but you have given me fresh new tips and I really appreciate it.

Blessings my dear friend."

Another from you, Peggy: "Your examples of financial spreadsheets are detailed and useful and the filing advice is key to being prepared when tax time comes. I love the ease of Excel and the automatic calculations are a real time saver. Thanks for sharing these tips from your extensive expertise!"

From Dianna Mendez: "This is handy information this time of year. As I review your suggestions I see a few that will make my task easier for next year's filing."

You are on a roll Ms. Shauna. Now I've gone looking for some old stuff I've been missing that's no longer out here. The Wayback Machine is kind of fun fishing for certain things and finding other stuff!

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Thank you for sharing this comment from 50 Caliber, Peg. It is sad that so many dear hubbers have left us, but they can live on through their comments and hubs.
    It make the case for comments to be enabled again.

Thanks, Jodah. I really need comments to keep me jazzed about writing. The ones like Dusty's are truly helpful to me. I miss him and others who've left the site for various reasons. Glad to see you here.

Deleted

Shauna, Yes, sadly, he did pass away. But I still remember him like it was yesterday, coming to the Emerald Wells Cafe and having a huge breakfast..  I just found a comment from Rosemay 50 (Rosemary) that I'll be sharing, too. They continue to inspire.

3. PegCole17 profile image93

Here's another favorite comment from someone I cared about and who always made me feel special, Rosemary Sadler, who'll be remembered fondly for her words.

https://hubstatic.com/15793538.jpg

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

HUBPAGES WROTE:
    Hi all! We will be rolling out comments (still the same system for now) on Soapboxie and LetterPile. They should be live within 24 hours. We are still working on making changes to the commenting system and will keep you all posted on any modifications.

Thanks, Jodah. Perhaps they could make these announcements more visible for those who don't want to scroll through so many comments. ?

5. PegCole17 profile image93

Sharing another of my favorite inspirational comments from a friend who responded to a chapter of a story I released. You know how it sometimes feels awkward after we hit the "publish" button and there's that sense of dread? This reaction was the sort of relating that I needed to continue writing the story.

https://hubstatic.com/15794701.jpg

6. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 2 years ago

Hi Peg,

That is the value of being able to scroll down and read old comments.  I just heard from a friend that he missed being able to read newer comments on an old post of mine that seemed to continually generate interest.  I told him that HP will be reinstalling them sometime in the near future.  I hope that they keep all of the old ones already made on our articles.

Peggy, It's gratifying to know there are many of us that still value the feedback we get in the comments. It's hard to figure out if we're making our mark without them. So good to see you today.

I just did a search for your name on wayback and there are over 16,000 captures of your work. Let me know how it goes. smile

Here’s a photo of your page. Just click on any of those highlighted dates and it will link you to the original article.

https://hubstatic.com/15795611_f1024.jpg

Oops that’s showing all captures for hub pages not just yours, sorry.
          Hmm. Searching my name came up with just my pages, not sure why yours didn’t. You may have to play around with it a bit. Good luck!
          Sorry about hijacking your thread here.

The site's not working for me. I get the same information when I type in pegcole17@hubpages.com. What browser are you using? I'm using Google.

7. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 2 years ago

Hey! That’s good comments are still there.
    Wayback is easy just put your name PegCole17@hubpages.com in the search bar, and a page should pop up with all your articles that have been captured over the years, then search through those. Wayback doesn’t capture everything you’ve done, but there is a ton of stuff available.

8. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

Correction: this article is on ToughNickel, not Turbo Future.

Here's one more comment I'd like to share from Bill (billybuc), who makes a living as a freelance writer: "All great tips, Sha! Thanks for the refresher course. You know, I still hear from quite a few writers who do not take deductions for writing....not sure why that is, but in my opinion, if the deductions are there then they are worth taking."

9. Carb Diva profile image95
    Carb Divaposted 2 years ago

Living proof that those comments are just fluff. They not only keep us connected but (IMHO) contribute to the article.

Linda, did you mean to say that comments are NOT just fluff?

I think she did. If not, I'll pretend that's what she meant. LOL

10. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Comments are now on LetterPile, not great yet but possible.

Wow. Awesome. Thanks John

2. PegCole17 profile image93

Jodah, This is fabulous news. I just checked one of mine and there is indeed a box for comments. Hooray! One small step for writers. . .

It totally sucks that the comments are way at the bottom of the video/ Around the Web crap that encapsulates three or four page scrolls before getting there. Organic readers won't go that far.. Who the hell is going to go beyond the media crap to even think about, let alone look for an area to leave a comment?

This is not what we want and have asked for. Reinstating comments in this invisible/webbed course is not the answer to our pleas. Make it simple as it was. Period.

1. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
          ChitrangadaSharanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Exactly +++

Mine still doesn't show a box.

I got it to work yesterday, but it took quote awhile.  Now...nothing.

Hi Brenda the link is under the article beside the Facebook symbol. Shows number of comments. Click on that and a box pops up.
          I had to sign in with my email addy to comment and receive a code to comment.

1. Brenda Arledge profile image81

If you are talking about the word comment...i did tap on it.
            It eventually gave me a box the other day, but Not Now.

I'm on a mobile phone, so maybe that's the problem.

Either way...if people have to tap the comment to get a box to pop up...they are going to just stop.
            At least I think so, because I'm frustrated trying to get it to work.
            I'll keep trying

Ah, not sure about the phone. I’m on iPad.
              Keep trying!

Oops there’s also a comment button at the start of the article beside the Facebook symbol. Not available on Hub pages article, only on the niche site.

3. bravewarrior profile image86

And the original comments are available to read by clicking on the number. That's where a new comment box opens. I wonder if HP Staff have corrected the non-notification factor, tho. When comments were first reinstated on AxelAddict, neither the author nor commenter were notified of new activity. I think it would behoove us to put that to the test.

Could I make a comment now to test that Shauna?

Okay I left a comment, let’s see what happens.

Nothing yet, Verlie. Which article did you comment on?

The Chameleon, top of your list (didn’t read yet) Just a test smile
            Try leaving one on mine.

Verlie, I received no notification of your comment, nor did it appear in my feed. And I had to sign in to my own article after waiting nearly a minute for the code to be sent to my email. Comments are way at the bottom of pages and pages of Around the Web suggestions. Who's going to scroll past those in order to find/read/leave a comment? No one outside of HP would even know where to look for them.

Very disappointing, to say the least. HP needs to fix this. Why comment if no one is made aware of the activity????? HP, please address and fix this problem.

I just read your Long Song Ago poem and left a comment, Verlie.

Um hmm. That’s not the experience I had. I found the comment box easily at thee bottom of the article. ( before the ads, no scrolling.) .Maybe its still in Beta and it will get better? Thanks, I will go check mine now, got no notification.

Thanks, I found it and replied.

Hmmm. I don't see your reply.

Frustrating eh. Let’s stay calm, take a deep breath. This too shall pass?
                    And then go scream real loud lol.
                    Happy Thanksgiving there.

4. Brenda Arledge profile image81

Gonna check it out

11. Carb Diva profile image95
    Carb Divaposted 2 years ago

Yes, darned auto-correct. Comments are NOT just fluff. {{{Sigh}}}

smile

12. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Brenda, the comment box is not always that easy to find…you have to do some scrolling. Mine was at the bottom below all the “around the web” rubbish.

13. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Still no notifications either.

Hi John, I just left you a comment on your rabbit in the moon poem. It was easy, comment box appeared, no scrolling. There’s just a moment lag before it loads so if you start scrolling you might miss it. I wonder if this is what’s happening. Did you get a notification?

14. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Oh, thank you for sharing that Verlie. I will take a look. It is also good that once you have signed in and confirmed your email address previously you don’t have to do it each time.

15. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

The waiting a few seconds after hitting the comment button does work. The window appears without having to scroll. So good!

Yay!

Mine automatically jumps or scrolls down after hitting comment.
      Then I have to scroll back up.
      It's an interesting new game my fingers are learning.
      Lol!

16. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Mine did that at first..until Verlie told me to wait a few seconds for it to load

You mean just let it scroll down & wait.

Verlie knows magic. It worked.
      I left you comments on rabbit in the moon & rainbow one.

Gonna grab a few more zzz's.
      Ttyl...hope this keeps getting better

17. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Yes, don't scroll at all after you hit comment. ..it will finish doing its thing and the comment box should open close to where you are.

18. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Hard to explain

I got it to work earlier

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)