I'd like feedback on my article: It Can Get Worse than $10/hr

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. BishamonSr profile image48
    BishamonSrposted 23 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article? What can I do to improve? Thanks!

No one can really figure out why this article isn't passing the quality assessment. It's a mystery. Lol.
    Here is my article: It Can Get Worse than $10/hr

1. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 23 months agoin reply to this

There is no mystery here.  This is a really insulting aricle.  No one can live on $10/hour.  They cannot afford shelter, food or gas on those wages.  Telling them that they should be grateful because other people are worse off is despicable.

This is not a suitable article for this platform.  HubPages is looking for magazine style articles that help people solve problems, not shame them.

1. DrMark1961 profile image98
        DrMark1961posted 23 months agoin reply to this

I am not going to argue with you on the article, but I do want to point out that your statement that "No one can live on $10/hour" makes it seem that the billions of humans that earn less than this do not matter. Not everyone lives where you live, buys the same food that you do, nor do they even posses a vehicle that runs on gas.

1. OldRoses profile image93
          OldRosesposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I agree, but if you read the article, you will see that it takes place in Delaware and no one can live on $10/hr in Delaware.

Yes, I agree with that.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68
              Miebakagh57posted 23 months agoin reply to this

Does it mean 1-hour is the maximum working hour at Daleware? Who push that into legislature?

No. In the US It is usually an 8 hour day, só at $10 the person would make 80 a day minus taxes, social security tax, etc. Take home pay is about half what you earn, so as Oldroses points out it is not enough to support someone with expenses like a car.

2. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 23 months ago

Well, it's a bit muddled. Is the theme poverty, prostitution, or violence? Is it fiction or a real account? The title doesn't make it clear.

There's an air of lecturing about it too. Your reader might not enjoy being told to be happy with their low paid job.

You should credit the image correctly. On Unsplash you are given a link to paste into the image capsule.

Bishamm, yes, your article should have a good single title 'prostitution' or...                              And, besides you had not given your write enough sub-headings.                                    That's the only issues I found.

3. Ben716 profile image89
    Ben716posted 23 months ago

For a personal, or even a commercial, blog, the title would be fit - its length and words. However, for commercial sites, such as Hubpages, the title is lengthy, and it doesn't provide an idea what the article is all about. In search engines, a part of your title won't be shown. An individual wouldn't bother to click the link to find out. The individual won't be able to know what the article is talking about thus they'll bypass it for other articles. Lastly,it won't rank well on search engines results. The two most important elements of an article that can improve viewership, or hurt your article, are the title and introduction.

Images and videos serve the purpose of eliminating or reducing boredom when reading an article. Reading online is different that reading a physical book. One can get easily bored reading an article full of text blocks. Having 2-3 photos in a 800-word page will entice an individual to keep on reading your article. Always acknowledge the owner of the photo (if it's not yours), and provide a link to the photo. On the photo capsule (when editing your article), copy the link where you've gotten the photo (in this case, Unsplash), and input it on the link section. Above the link is the onwer's name. The third section of the photo capsule can be omitted but I do like to include a keyword there yo increase the visibility of an article on search engines.

I did get the message of your story. While you've given an example of people earning $10/hr, studies indicate majority of people in developing country are living on $1/day. You've stated the importance of being grateful with what we have for now since there are others who would like to be where we are in (while at the same time setting goals to improve our life standards). Since many people search online for informative and educative articles, you can help people by showing them how they can improve their living standards, how to stay positive, and so on.

Don't come out too harsh. Your article is meant to show them the eight direction.

In a developing country like Nigeria, $10 an hour will be highly appreciated.                                       And, working eight hours a week is $5x10x8, or $400.                                              This, convert to local currency is significant.

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 23 months ago

Of course, there are people earning a lot less, but the article is set in the US. There's no point in making comparisons with developing countries and currency conversions. The writer is talking about minimum wage in a first-world nation.

1. Ben716 profile image89
        Ben716posted 23 months agoin reply to this

Ok. Gotcha!

2. Miebakagh57 profile image68

Even so, a very serious and energetic person should work for the maximum working hour and increase their income. It pays well in the end and, can generate savings.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
      PaulGoodman67posted 23 months ago

It's an odd HP article (if an article is what it's intended to be).

It's very unusual to write a magazine-style article in the present tense. To be brutally honest, the article reads more like a (not particularly good) short story.

It doesn't really argue its case in the conventional sense of a non-fiction article. One would expect a series of factual assertions, arguments and examples, instead it's more like a personal story that's perhaps intended to have an emotional effect on the reader.

I'm struggling to find much positive to say, or give any suggestions for improvement, other than to recommend that you study what actually gets through the QAP and note the differences in approach.

4. Stephen Tomkinson profile image90
      Stephen Tomkinsonposted 23 months ago

I find it a little curious that you have opened two identical Forum posts on the same subject. I stick to what I said on the other - rewrite it as pure fiction.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)