Looking for my Friend Jackie Lynnley

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. LadyFiddler profile image75
    LadyFiddlerposted 4 months ago

Have anyone on here heard from Jackie Lynnley in recent times? We communicate but my emails are going un answered and I am worried.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I googled her name, and she has a blog, but it looks inactive.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I hope she is alright.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 months ago

From what I see, no recent activity on HP. I can't open the Facebook page she links to in her profile.

You're maybe right to be concerned.

1. LadyFiddler profile image75
      LadyFiddlerposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Yes I can't access the FB account either. I trust that all is well with her. Thanks for responding.

3. LadyFiddler profile image75

Hi or okay, thanks. She use to write here. I hope she is okay, its not like she'd ignore my emails.

4. LadyFiddler profile image75

I hope so to

1. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Hi, I haven't seen her here for a long time. i hope she is okay too

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 months ago

It's the problem with internet or lost-distance friends, they can suddenly just disappear sometimes. Usually, it's a bad sign but not always.

I have an old friend in England who went from having a fairly large web presence to nothing. He was an archaeologist so his working life was always well-documented online. When I write to his old email addresses, there are no replies.

I assume the worst but who knows?

1. Jan Stepan profile image93
      Jan Stepanposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Building continuous, trustful, and meaningful connections over the internet is very challenging. I've also seen people vanish out of the blue, and it's never a nice feeling since you never really know why.

Also, many in my generation don't find it weird to just cut the contact and ghost each other – without giving a single damn about it... But I suppose it's not what happened to you.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 4 months agoin reply to this

Yes, ghosting's a thing but I'm not seeing it in this case. You tend to realize that you've been ghosted (eventually), particularly if the person has a big online footprint. You tend to see that they're still active online, it's just not with you.

I think what we're talking about in this case is when someone has a lot of online activity and then it suddenly stops and it's accompanied by not answering emails and messages. The cause is often ill-health or death in my experience.

Of course, it can be due to some radical lifestyle change too. That depends on the person, I guess, but I suspect that it's less likely for people who have a history of being active online. Particularly, if their working life (and I include writing) includes an online presence.

My archaeologist friend worked in the profession for over thirty years and it was very much his life. It's unlikely to me that he would just walk away from it. He wasn't just not replying to emails, his email address no longer worked, stopped being listed by the university, and he didn't appear to be working anywhere else.

What's particularly concerning about Jackie Lynnley is not just the non-replies to emails and lack of HP activity but that her Facebook page has also disappeared.

Ancestry.com is a good place for checking whether or not someone has died but unfortunately, it doesn't list relatively recent deaths.

Age does play a role too. Ghosting or lifestyle change are perhaps more likely for younger people but ill-health and death become greater possibilities with age.

Of course, there are a multitude of other potential explanations like mental health crises, hiding from stalkers, addiction, etc.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92
        Kenna McHughposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Jean, My daughter agrees with you. She's probably closer to your generation than I am. Then, after months or a year, she'll get a text. Is this still your phone number? Crazy!

Jan Stepanposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Yes, it's a huge issue. That's why the young generations are so depressed and struggling with mental disorders. We have more platforms for social interactions than ever, yet the loneliness people feel keeps increasing.

A part of that has to do, quite ironically, with the many choices those platforms offer. You can start talking to anybody at any time at, for instance, Discord – the issue is that everybody thinks there's always someone better to talk to, and thus they cut contact sooner or later.

Arguments or any so-called "drama" ends with people blocking each other and leaving servers, mainly because it's so easy. It's so "easy" to go elsewhere and start communicating with new people. It's a never-ending spiral fundamentally leading to loneliness because it doesn't lead to more than short-term connections you know will end at some point.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
            Kenna McHughposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Jan, Yes. There is trauma and stress. Let's hope these young folks find actual help without psychotropic influence.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
            PaulGoodman67posted 3 months agoin reply to this

To be honest, I've been both the ghoster and ghostee in the past.

Sometimes, it's better just to sever ties, rather than get into any extended or pointless arguments.

While I do it sparingly, there have been situations where I've come to the conclusion that someone is either disturbed or an a-hole and there's no value in continuing communications.

I block people much more readily nowadays on social media than I used to. If conversations start getting toxic or uncomfortable, it can be the best course of action.

I'm not saying that it's always the best thing to do, just that it's not always bad.

My sense is that ghosting is not an issue with Jackie Lynnley, though.

Jan Stepanposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Yes, from what you wrote above, I am sure you haven't been ghosted by your friend Jackie.

About blocking and ghosting. Of course, if there's a proper reason to block someone, it's definitely in place. I've also blocked countless people because of their respectless behavior towards me, but I was referring to something else here.

I am a part of a Discord server where I've been for years. I can see a pattern of people joining, being excited and super chatty and social, then losing interest and leaving without explaining. The same goes for private chats. People get tired of each other fast, which isn't beneficial when you want to build long-lasting connections.

People also avoid conflicts at all costs. If one starts to argue about something, they take it personally and see it as a reason for ending the conversation rather than learning that we can, with respect and dignity, agree to disagree on some things without it having to end our friendship.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
                PaulGoodman67posted 3 months agoin reply to this

I wouldn't describe myself as a friend of Jackie. People suddenly disappearing can be intriguing, though. If someone is active and social online and uses the same moniker that you're familiar with, they usually aren't that hard to track down. "Lynnley" is also an uncommon name.

I'm very active online and I think I've developed a thick skin over the years. However, I wouldn't disagree with your general thrust that people and societies are becoming more fragmented.

Digitalization has made it very easy for people to cut themselves off and it's not necessarily healthy. There can be something beneficial about being forced to rub along with others who maybe don't share your sensibilities or worldview.

Nowadays, you can work from home, get your meals left outside your door, and do most things online without any personal contact. It's leading to a more atomized society. Given that, it's perhaps not surprising that some people behave as they do online.

It's ironic, as in the early days of the web, many of us thought that it would lead to a warmer and more socially connected world. In some ways, that's happened, but in others, we're more isolated than ever.

6. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 4 months ago

I searched for her latest post here and it was 5 months ago. It was a post about low earnings, so it could be she is just exploring other writing opportunities. I hope she's OK!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)