Hubpages emails going to spam in gmail

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Thomas Swan profile image96
    Thomas Swanposted 3 months ago

Hi, I've noticed Hubpages emails from editors, team, and the weekly newsletter all going into my spam folder this week in my gmail account. Not sure why. I marked them as "not spam" so I hope that helps.

Could this be part of Google downgrading the whole site for being overly promotional? Might be why they think the emails are promotional spam now? Traffic has taken a large hit in recent months. Earnings are half of what they were a few months ago. Lots of us authors warned you about putting 30 ads in a single article. Most of the feedback from readers was that there were too many ads. We passed that onto you. You had plenty of chances over the last year to address it. Now the site has taken a massive hit that will take a lot to return from, no matter what we do. I'm sorry the owners had a policy of "pump it and dump it." I hope the short-term pump was worth it (i.e., fill these great articles with ads to increase short-term revenue) because we're into the dump phase now (i.e., wait until it's killed by the search engines). This will affect staff as well as authors. Good luck to everyone.

1. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Emails from HubPages, as well as other websites, sometimes get misclassified as spam by Google. This isn't anything new. Click on the email in your spam folder and click not spam. After you remove the email, future emails from that sender won’t go to spam.

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Exactly the same has happened to my email notifications from HubPages, since the last 4-5 days.
      I had written to HP about it. As advised, I marked all of them ‘not spam’, but it hasn’t helped at all.
      As you have mentioned above, I also think that due to being overly promotional site, this may be happening. Most of the writers have already voiced their concerns about lower views, lower earnings etc.
      Nothing seems to help the downward trends.

3. charlesnuamah profile image96
      charlesnuamahposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Just checked my spam and you are right. Very strange.

4. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF

This issue has been resolved. HubPages emails will no longer be sent to spam folders. This issue happened because a change we made to emails caused them to be miscategorized as spam. It had nothing to do with ads or Google ranking.

1. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
        ChitrangadaSharanposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Matt, for your efforts in resolving this issue.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image94
    Rupert Taylorposted 3 months ago

Me too. Wonder why that was.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 months ago

"Could this be part of Google downgrading the whole site for being overly promotional?"

I very much doubt it. They're not really connected in that way.

Gmail has its own criteria for deciding what it thinks might be spam, including actions like emails being sent to multiple recipients.

Google Search is a separate thing that uses its own algorithm to rank websites (it doesn't rank emails).

It's very easy to designate something as not spam in Gmail, all it takes is a click of a button. It can be difficult to improve the ranking of an article or website.

That's my take, anyway.

4. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 3 months ago

No, don't have that problem and I have gmail accounts linked to Hubpages.

5. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 3 months ago

This is happening to me also. Google thinks HP as a spam site. So driving all emails from them to the Spam folder. I think since the last 4 days it got changed to spam.

It is not from our end. The Hubpages team should fix this problem.

6. Robie Benve profile image95
    Robie Benveposted 3 months ago

Funny, I just found all the recent emails from HP in my spam folder (I have a yahoo account) and clicked to login, the first thing I saw was this post!

1. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Yes, my HP emails are going to spam folder in my Yahoo email account.  Has HP made a change on their end in their messaging system that is tripping to spam filters?

7. Venkatachari M profile image83

Same position even today.

8. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 3 months ago

I'm having problem to log into my Gmail associate with my hubpages account.                              Apparently, the question is on gmail end side.                               So because when I enter my gmail address and password correctly, the system says gmail 'is not available. Try again later'. And that frustrating.                                   But I'll check my inbox later. But why did I got facebook's notifications sometimes in my Hubpages gmail? When facebook is not in anyway connected with my gmail account? That beats my mind.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 3 months agoin reply to this

You are having two Gmail accounts? One for HP and one general one. Perhaps you manage both accounts as admin from the same Gmail A/C. Hence Facebook emails can appear in both accounts.

9. Kobby95 profile image87
    Kobby95posted 3 months ago

Having the same problem with my Yahoo account for the past several days. So, it must be a general problem that needs a solution. It's likely coming from the HP side.

1. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF

I'll investigate and see if there's anything on our end causing it.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Gmail and Chrome browsers began treating emails from HP as spam. So, HP should fix that issue as far as I think. It is nearly 10 days now.

10. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 3 months ago

The point of resolution is noted.

11. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 3 months ago

Glad to hear it is fixed. I was having the same problem.

12. Venkatachari M profile image83

Glad that I got the emails today in my Primary mail. They fixed it.
    Thank you, HP Team.

13. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 3 months ago

I noticed the same problem.  But it seems to have been rectified.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)