Hub page Flagged or "Overly Promotional"

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. medialateral profile image61
    medialateralposted 16 years ago

I'm a little, no VERY, concerned that my hub page has been flagged in this manner. I have over 570 words of content and only 5 links off to two other sites.

http://hubpages.com/hub/real-unused-webkinz-codes/

The entire article has been designed to guide people who are looking for potential cheats and hacks towards a legitimate and valid means to get what they are looking for in a cost effective manner. I hardly consider this to be traffic siphoning.

Furthermore I am highly suspicious of the fact that this article is in competition with some of Maddie Ruud's own articles on hubpages who was just recently installed as head moderator.

Since I am unable to contact a site moderator directly. I am addressing this through the forums. I feel that others should know about the issue and be aware of what might be considered bias by moderators with conflicting hub page interests.

I'd like to see the current flag removed and my hub re-instated with it's previous good ranking immediately.

In addition, the moderators of hub pages need to do a MUCH better job of making if clear what parameters are acceptable for off-site linking and content. My hub page has been live for several months already and only recently flagged as stated above.

Thanks in advance for your prompt attention to this matter.
    ML

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Five links to two other sites must mean that one has at least 3 of them.

The rules state "You must have no more than 1-2 links to any one domain on a page of original content".

To drag Maddie's reputation into disrepute won't do you any favours.

Last time I checked, a business model which involves the giving away of a service with no way to capture any revenue will see that business buried in the ground.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Overly-Promotional

if you still have questions - http://hubpages.com/email/help/

or email team@hubpages.com

and I don't believe Maddie is biased. More than two links to a single site do violate stated HP policy - and based on your own words you had 3. Fix yourself before trying to fix others.

3. medialateral profile image61

Obviously I'm frustrated by these rules, or at least the late enforcement. Your response and attitude are very inspirational and comforting. Thanks.

So other than a couple (2) links to any given site or product. You are "encouraging" aka forcing hub posters to use your built-in modules so that you get to capture a large chunk of the revenue.

I appreciate the hub page concept, but you haven't sold me on the business model.
    ML

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

So what you mean is you really like the hub page interface, but you don't think the revenue should be split ? Or a different split perhaps? You might be able to negotiate that if your work is good. big_smile

And you would much rather have had this hub flagged six months ago so you didn't make any revenue out of it the last six months? Maddie only just started here and has already posted several times that she is going through a backlog of hubs that needed getting rid of.

As far as I can tell, if you fix the hub to comply with the rules, it will get re-instated. That sounds like just removing one link from what you have said.

5. medialateral profile image61

Yes I would rather have had the hub flagged six months ago before it started getting significant traffic and making revenue, rather than losing a weeks worth of traffic at this point.

The revenue split is negotiable? Now you've got me interested. big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sorry - forgot to add this:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2778/sarcasm3ix4.gif

big_smile

6. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

The right way to use Hubpages for Internet Marketing - its not that hard really!

7. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

I'd rather worry about adsense ads not appearing at  HP site wide sad

8. medialateral profile image61

I've addressed the link issue and my hub has been re-instated. Thanks for the help. I'm assuming that my hub score will recover over time as well?

As far as the two other issues. No ill will meant towards Maddie, I know that she has contributed a lot to the hub page community at large. Without being provided adequate explanation as to why my hub page was flagged and immediately unpublished without information on what changes I needed to make, it seemed an odd coincidence on the competitive content side and her recent addition to the team. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

I would have much rather seen a "warning" message from HubPages telling me that my hub was violating the terms of use and giving me a few days (or week) to address the issue before completely taking it offline. Immediate unpublishing of my hub for "one link over the limit" seems a bit harsh a response for that infraction. Especially given that it's several months after the fact and those links have been there the entire time.

Secondly, I am also not averse to the idea of revenue sharing, it is a great model in itself, and I understand that it enables hubpages to stay in business, I'm just not overly enamored with the way it's been implemented on hubpages. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it looks like I get zero revenue on 40% of my page traffic. If all the affiliate purchases came during those 40% of the page visits, I actually see none of it. I realize that the reverse is also true regarding the 60% of page traffic, but I would be much more in favor of a 60-40 split on all revenue generated which shares it more equitably for everyone.

Thanks again,
    ML

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Your analysis of the situation is correct.  If all the sales only occur during the 40% of the time when the HubPages' affiliate code is on the page, you get nothing.  However this is not a new situation, the site has always been structured that way.

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Our system is fair and due the Law of Large Numbers, it works out to a 60-40 revenue split overall.

If you are working with a small traffic base, then the impression share program is just as likely to work more favorably for you as it is against you.

A true revenue split would require centralization of all monies created and payout through HubPages. That's not how we do things.

9. pjdscott profile image67
    pjdscottposted 16 years ago

medialateral - as regards making serious money on HubPages, even the excellent Lissie admits that she "failed to make any significant money" She has 65 published hubs of high score/quality and a large number of fans.

I see your profile is not yet complete - one thing that will immediately improve your general score is a picture and your location. If you don't wish to be specific, have a look and see how other hubber interpret this (actually, my hub with the most comments concerns the topic of profiles).

HubPages is much more about making money - it's an extremely supportive community with a large amount of quality writing and some ingenious software scripts to make those hubs readily accessible. As far as I'm concerned, the owners/staff of HubPages are entitled to the 60% share for making such an elegant and fun interface.

Wishing you a warm welcome to the HP community!

1. Lissie profile image76
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

:lol ember PJD I didn't start with lots of sites and fans! I think its important to remember that on HP just like everything on the web the snowball effect occurs - it took me 5 months to get 200 fans - now I have anothe over 50 in a few weeks - the same thing happens with earnings - since Oct my monthly Adsense tracks as : $6.50, $8.40, $12.60. $22.90, $17.30, $24.12
      Of all of those about $2 from my own sites.  So income is going up consistently -  though it doesn't necessarily relate to either the number of hubs you have or the amount of traffic to my hubs - its more about kw, SEO and magic potions as far as  I can tell :-)

10. firetown profile image60
    firetownposted 16 years ago

Maddie is cool, just don't mess with her, cause she don't take crap from nobody.

11. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 16 years ago

Hi Pjdscott,

I thought they said effective April, the owners/staff of HubPages will be entitled to 30% share?

12. firetown profile image60
    firetownposted 16 years ago

Cool, How do I get in?

13. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

That's only for April.  Starting May 1st it goes back to 60/40 split.

The 70/30 split is a bonus from the site due to Adsense being funky and not working right for a bit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)