jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)

Option to hide or disable HubKarma

1. Cyber Lawyer profile image61
    Cyber Lawyerposted 7 years ago

Please design some way to help free us from this unwelcome distraction.

1. rebekahELLE profile image89
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years agoin reply to this

it's just a number.
      as far as getting us to behave differently?
      it is simply a tool that can be used. no one is forcing you to behave differently.

I wouldn't let it bother you so much.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image84
    Arthur Fontesposted 7 years ago

I would suggest not checking your profile page very often.  That might help  smile

3. Cyber Lawyer profile image61

Need to follow Hubtivity, it appears there as well!

4. relache profile image91
    relacheposted 7 years ago

From what I understand, only you can see your HubKarma.  So if you can stand seeing HubScores, you can stand this too.

Cyber Lawyerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. HubScore is opaque, HubKarma is a deliberate attempt to make us change our behavior.

1. waynet profile image79
        waynetposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It won't change my behaviour, I'll still be me, ginger and all!

Don't worry, you are charismatic.

1. waynet profile image79
            waynetposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ah good I like curry!

2. Cagsil profile image59
        Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Paranoid much? roll

Paranoid is a strong word. Unless it was an attempt to make us behave differently, why introduce HubKarma to begin with?

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
            Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Of course it's an attempt to get us to behave differently.  In case you've forgotten, this isn't your site.  It belongs to the HubPages team, who run it to make money.  They're allowed, you know.

In case you have overlooked it, I wrote "Please..." It is a request.

1. thisisoli profile image74
                thisisoliposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Choosing to partake in HubKarma is optional, it doesnt have a huge influence on anything other than a minor adjustment to Hubscore, which doesn't matter if you are just here to make money.

3. relache profile image91
        relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If my HubKarma can be the number it is right now (less than 50) and I can still get a 100 author score, that tells me there's nothing wrong with what I've been doing.

4. Arjuncool profile image72
        Arjuncoolposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It measures the amount of interaction we do in the hubpages

Congratulations on your first forum post, then. Nice avatar!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Well, you can just ignore it

Thank you for telling me what I can just do.

6. LeanMan profile image89
    LeanManposted 7 years ago

It's only a measure of how you link out to others, these are meant to be hubs; a page you go to for information with pointers as to where you can get more... Your hubs are meant to point out at other websites and hubs relevant to your subject... Remember that the more hubs that have links to you the better your ratings and position in the search engines also... Not a bad thing...

7. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 7 years ago

Then why my account 'truster' who has only 5 low quality hubs , and never comes in the forum, has a hubkarma of 33, and me, with more than 90 hubs , have only 15?
    I really don't get it. Not that I care, but I wonder.

8. myownworld profile image79
    myownworldposted 7 years ago

My head is spinning now with all this karma floating around.....
    I'm telling you it's a tricky thing.. this karma - an over doze is bad for your health! wink

9. Cyber Lawyer profile image61

So the more interactivity, the better? More features, more numbers (accolades etc.) - it is all for the better? The accolades, at least, can be hidden completely from view.

10. LeanMan profile image89
    LeanManposted 7 years ago

What is a "good" Karma?? I have 51?? But I interlink all of my hubs as they are only across 2 subjects. The interlinking I hope allows readers to jump from one to next to get more information.

Google wants to see relevant information that is good for the reader, so having a page that points to other sources of information relevant to your page would using a bit of common sense make google happy.. Also if you have a page that is pointed at by other pages then google is going to think that your page is important. If you want your site to rank highly and attract readers from google then you need to follow google rules.. and google will look at the whole site not just your page on the domain, hence the need for everyone to do it for the benefit of the whole community..

But I might be wrong I'm new to this... lol

I think you are changing the subject. You like it and want to work with that, I have understood as much and good for you. I don't like this additional interactivity it and don't want to look at it; that is what this thread supposedly is about.

1. LeanMan profile image89
        LeanManposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Fine, no problem, just trying to understand it and get other peoples opinions too... I have no problem with it, it is just another number that only I can see.. The suggest links is very handy as it more often than not suggests my own pages for links so it makes it easy for me to interlink my hubs..

The reason that I like it is that it is trying to drive behavior that google will like, this will ensure that this site remains in google's good books and benefit everyone on the site.. Links out from your hub to elsewhere will not hurt you but it may make readers experience more pleasant, they don't have to go hunting for more information that catches their eye they just click the link.. Don't forget that if everyone does this then you will get links from other authors on the site.

I have already linked to other hubs from a couple of mine, I have generally chosen the ones that in my mind add value, and I will admit that I have not linked to hubs that I consider to be direct competitors.

11. Cyber Lawyer profile image61
  12. profile image0
    Non-offensiveUserposted 7 years ago

I'm proud to tell the world that my HubKarma score is "1"!!!!
    I really don't care what end of the scale that's on, because to be honest it makes absolutely no difference to me.

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Same here ! lol

1. profile image0
        Non-offensiveUserposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Tantrum, it's been awhile,  what's going on?

2. relache profile image91
      relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Obviously you're someone's sock puppet account with no Hubs, so who cares?

13. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 7 years ago

Mine is stuck at 39, just refuses to budge no matter what I do smile

1. profile image0

Then I suggest that you do to yours, what I have done to mine.  Just laugh in the face of your HubKarma, for it is yet another meaningless way the team has found to try to measure us.....

1. Shil1978 profile image92
        Shil1978posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lol - well, I would rarely visit my profile page, but now I find myself checking it out more often - just to see how this works?

I am pretty sure this is something in the works - because, I was pretty active yesterday, linked to hubs of other hubbers, etc., but the score just stayed put.

I am not sure either whether more is better or less is better smile

1. profile image0

Either way, I am more than happy with having a score of 1.  A 0 would be fine too.  Hell, I wouldn't care if I was banned from the whole karma thing all together.  There are just so many more important things in my life than another number trying to measure something.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
            psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You have no hubs so why *would* you care?  You aren't really arguing from a logical position.

14. Lisa HW profile image78
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I can't say it distracts me.  It's there.  It's fine.  People can use the feature or not.  People can worry about the number or not.  It's all fine.

working