Childrens Pictures in Place for Hubbers Profile?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (33 posts)
  1. lightning john profile image59
    lightning johnposted 14 years ago

Why do some people place their childrens picture instead of their own as their profile picture?   
    Are they living vicariously through their children?  Are they just proud of them, and want to share them with others?
    I myself would not ever do this for the safety of my kid.
    What do you think?

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't see why people should not do this, or how it is unsafe.  Most people make no secret of the fact that they have children and a tinyy picture doesn't say much more than that.  In fact a icture could be of the hubber as a child or just a picture they like, so it doesn't say very much at all.  (Unless you think I am a painted damsel in real life).

lightning johnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you in distress?  I just do not get it!
        Why put your kids picture in place of your profile?
        Does your child write your hubs?  No!
        Does your kid respond in the forums? I don't think so!   Thats all I'm saying!

2. LeanMan profile image74
    LeanManposted 14 years ago

I can't see how using my kids pictures on my profile would not be "safe".. I have never been recognized from my pictures on the internet.. lol  People tend to over exaggerate the danger out there..

Otherwise, why not, if you are proud of them then be proud... My kids look a lot better than I do, it would be a better avatar!!!

3. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

People use far crazier things than their kids' photos. I think they are proud of their children if they do and love them. Unless they are publishing they are publishing their address and phone numbers, which is dangerous regardless of kids are not, I don't see how use their image as an avatar is dangerous.

Concept does sound like one from my overly protective father though. Hehe.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I'm proud of my sons also but would never use their pic for an avatar. it's not so much the danger factor, it's more just having a pic that represents you as the writer.

pedophiles grab images of children anywhere they can and add to their photo montage.

5. lightning john profile image59
    lightning johnposted 14 years ago

I myself would rather see who is posting a comment, or writing on a particular subject, other than their kid, dog, cat, or gold fish.

6. thisisoli profile image81
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I prefer to use my own picture, it helps make my name more of a 'brand' so to speak.

7. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I agree with RebekahELLE and thisisoli.  big_smile

8. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Some believers and wingnuts believe my avatar is really me!

Randy!  Is that really you!

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just the forked tongue!

9. jennshealthstore profile image74
    jennshealthstoreposted 14 years ago

I can see why you would not want to use your child's photo in a place like this. It is nice to see who the writer actually is. But using your child's photo in like a social setting like facebook is fine. People like to show off their children. Proud parents!

10. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

How do you feel about putting a picture of you WITH your kids, not in place of?  Not that I care, just wondering...

...I do it because I'm proud...and I don't like my own pictures!

That's actually really nice.  I don't see anything wrong with the way you look atall!

11. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

What about hubbers who don't use humans at all for their avatar pics? How do you feel about those, John?

Well Habee, it just makes it more interesting to me when I can see the person.  Like when I read your Hubs, (as I will in time),  it gives the person more credibility.  Would not you think?    Btw,  I like your picture as well, you look like a real honest person that loves life!

12. profile image0
    selrachposted 14 years ago

I don,t use my real picture as my personal hubs have things I wouldn,t want some people to know,but I agree with your point, if it was not for this I would use my own photo.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image93
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mean--- that is not you?

1. Lisa HW profile image64
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle, I ought to know to just skip down to your response immediately.  I'd get to laugh more quickly.   smile

laughing is good!

2. profile image0
        selrachposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

I really like your avatar!  Its cool!  I had to blink, and look to twice to realize what i was seeing!

13. Nady profile image68
    Nadyposted 14 years ago

I think it's nice to put your kids pictures. don't see nothing wrong about it. If one of my parents would put my picture I would be very happy. It tells how important I am for them. wouldn't you?

14. profile image0
    woolman60posted 14 years ago

I am willing to post my pic for 1 day

15. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 14 years ago

Sometimes it's hard to see when you're so proud of your kids, but the safety problem is this: some people fixate on children.  And because people with profiles online unintentionally or intentionally leave clues as to their identity, somebody who fixates might be able to dig things up.

It's unlikely, but it's a possibility.

There's also the weird moral dilemma that's pretty new to society since the Internet. Posting our kids' pictures in a public forum is a decision parents make that could affect the kids forever in small or large ways.  We don't know. 

Anything we publish can haunt us in the future.  I don't feel qualified to take this risk with my kid's image, because that's my child's decision to make, and because there's so much I don't know about the future, including what kind of privacy protections there will be.  (It somehow makes me think of societies where picture taking is taboo.  There is certainly power in capturing an image.)

And by the way, coincidences do happen.  Just one anecdote: A woman with an eHow profile was stopped in public by another person who recognized her from her profile and was a fan.

Fiction Teller, I think you got it! 
      Mostly it is seen as your making comments, statements while hiding behind your kids picture, could become a negative in the future for a child.
      The world and the people in it are getting filled up with more, and more insanity.
      Lets say that someone has read your writings online, and hates your position on politics, and religion so bad, that one day sees your unsuspecting kid sitting in Wally World, he comes up, and pops your kid square in the eye, or worse.

16. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

My kids are grown, so I wouldn't dare!   Most parents, though, pretty much feel/think there is no better picture than a picture of their child(ren); so I'm guessing people post their children (or even pets) because they love the picture, like looking at, like showing someone special to them, and any number of other perfectly well adjusted reasons.  (I'm not a fan of reading psychological/emotional issues, like "living vicariously...." into things that are usually something pretty simple and reasonable.

I don't put my own picture because (first) I battle a little bit of left-over shyness and get squirmy any time I post a picture of myself.  Second, I have a cheap webcam that makes me look sepia colored or else gray.  I've occasionally buried a bad photo of me in my Hubs.  There's a part of me that prefers my writing speak for itself.  What I look like doesn't help me be taken seriously in real life, so I'm pretty reluctant to introduce that life-long issue into my writing.  roll  Then again, I don't really like the "personality-less" Earth picture either.  hmm  At least it leans toward the gender-neutral, though.  (It's not about being either ugly or beautiful, by the way - just a look that says, "You must know better than I do on any matter, even if I'm the one who went through the experience."   lol  )

I think we can rule out gender-neutral for you!  Right?

Not necessarily, or at least not entirely.  I chose the picture I have because, on the one hand, it is fundamentally neither masculine nor feminine; but it definitely has a feminine aspect to it.  At this point I'm sick of it, though.  (Maybe it's time I start using a picture of my cat.....  )

Just no more ped body parts please!

17. Len Cannon profile image85
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

It is always a little awkward, to tell the truth.  It is worse when you're playing a game of poker online and you're just clobberin' some guy or gal who has a picture of their kid for their avatar.  Its like your stealing money from the kids mouth.

lol   Maybe that's the real reason some people do it.   smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)