Earn google adsense from questions too ?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 13 years ago

I think it would be nice if we could earn money from our questions here on hubpages. Still with the 60/40 split just like on our hubs.

The only thing I would think would be people posting too many questions, so maybe implement a cap on questions ie 3-5 per day as long as they are not spammy. 

What do you think?

1. profile image0
      fergie27posted 13 years agoin reply to this

im new to this and need as much help as i can get and would hope to find these Q&A helpful
      Its easy when you know how

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

See, this is how newbies misunderstand.

If you're trying to understand how to use HubPages, the "help" button, the Starting Out Guide and Darkside's Hubs on how to Hub:

http://hubpages.com/hub/howhubworks

will give you the answers.  The Q&A section is for people to ask questions they'd like other Hubbers to write a Hub about. 

This is why we're all saying it's a bad choice of name!

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

There is so much poor quality in the Q&A section, I don't think it would be good to encourage people to ask more.  The section was originally supposed to be where people could request new Hub topics, and it's degenerated into a cesspool of stupidity.

The majority of people who ask questions are not helping to generate quality content for the site, and as such, do not rightly deserve any benefit or reward.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

100% agreed.   If it can't be fixed, it should be trashed.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image66
        PaulaHenry1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Being new myself, I agree. The questions area is - well....dumb? for lack of a better word. I like what it was intended for, but I'm just finding it to be a place where people ask how to save their relationship or sexual "issues"...I have quit going all together.

3. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yeah, I agree, the bulk of questions and answers fall on either serious and not serious, so you could get a mix of bad questions and bad answers like we are getting.

I posted a question why does jesus have a beard and it got a load of serious answers quoting bible stuff and I laughed at the daftness of it!

4. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 13 years ago

Yea, it was just an idea. I did not think people abused the questions that much. I know that I ask all kinds of questions but most can be turned into hubs or good conversations/debates.

like,

Harry Potter or Twilight
    Dunkin Donuts or Stabucks
    How do you make money on the internet besides writing hubs/blogs?
    What is your favorite Vodka Drink?

I think questions like those are ok.

Maybe questions should be moderated?

Just curious, what motivates you to use the Questions section?

We earn Adsense income through making considerable effort to write good Hubs.  I don't think people should be able to earn Adsense income for posting a simple question that takes 30 seconds to ask.

Midasfxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Questions I think are a great part of Hubpages. I love the fact that if i'm not feeling like writing a hub, I can ask a question to get me in the mood or the correct mind set. It gets the juices flowing. Sure some people use the forums  or the ideabank. But I like to ask questions, and get answers. Engaging other people to participate.  So if I think of a good question, that creates ideas and conversations, I think that shared compensation is a good idea. Because you know what, Hubpages is making money from those questions. And if I'm asking those questions why shouldn't I get paid.

I simply do not agree with you.  I have also not seen you post a single positive comment on any of the forums posts recently. 

And I think that Surf Traveler had a good idea, with a minimum hub score to earn Adsense income from questions.  It could be a privilege for the people who have a good hub score and create a better incentive for hubbers to reach said level.

I'm sorry you feel that way. My question about your motivation was a serious one, as it wouldn't have occurred to me that anyone could find questions a way to interact and "get the juices flowing".  As you know, questions get answers - or someone else writes a Hub in response - but they're not designed so the OP can then have a discussion with those who answer.  So for me, forums work better.  However, if Questions work for you, that's fine.

HubPages only makes money from questions if someone writes a Hub in response - in which case the answerer is the one doing the lion's share of the work, surely.  Perhaps the questioner could get a small share of the Hub's income?

On another thread, Whitney posted that there used to be several restrictions on what could be posted in the Q&A.  I wouldn't care at all, if the questions didn't appear on my Hubs.  If they're going to continue to be posted on Hubs, I'd also like to see them better controlled

2. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

These are low quality questions, that do not produce any thought.

The section used to be moderated, with the rules of:
      * no yes/no questions
      * no opinion questions (as seen in your quote above)
      * no questions pertaining to hubpages, as these should be asked in the forums
      * no spam
      * no adult questions

I think there were a few others, but those were, and still, are the most common bad questions. I tend to flag questions that qualify with the old standards. 

The section is broke, and needs to be fixed, but not with adsense, as that would make it worse.

The section used to be a great place to get ideas to write about, things that others ask, but now it's a load of crock. I hate seeing the stupid questions like (do you like twilight or not) on my hubs. It's a waste of time and space on this site.

There needs to be more moderation, as the section, as is, reduces overall quality.

The section is there to help others get help writing hubs, as well as you getting your questions answered with quality answers. The section was intended to get more hubs written about a wide variety of topics, not to find out what your favorite color is, or if you think Starbucks is better than Dunkin Donuts.

5. surf traveler profile image79
    surf travelerposted 13 years ago

Maybe there could be a cap on the number of questions if your author score is below a certain level. I notice many of the prank type questions come from people with the sign-up score of 30. Sometimes I've seen scores below 30, how in the world can your score get that low? Maybe no questions if you're below 30. Add value, before you can participate.

1. David 470 profile image80
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah sounds like a good idea for the most part..

1. David 470 profile image80
        David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I mean if your score is too low you can not keep asking questions...

6. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I think this would cause a huge amount of spam, you already see it on occasions from new spammers to the site who think it already earns them cash.

7. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

'If it aint broke, don't fix it'

1. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ditto!  Hey, jase!

If you want to get paid to ask and answer questions, go on over to web answers dot com.

8. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

The advice of Marisa Wright, "submit Good Hubs" and Relache's comment that this "Q&A section has degenerated into a cesspool of stupidy", is very well taken. I strongly agree with both of them.

9. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Its definitely a good idea to make maximum quality question answer section. But right now quality is very low.
    very few people ask questions for their personal purposes.

Right Question containing exact information in its answer is really a valuable for getting traffic.

10. thisisoli profile image71

I have to admit I cannot really comment here because I have hardly ever stepped in to the question and answers section.

11. thisisoli profile image71

I think the questions and answers section is okay as is, but it doesnt receive enough traffic to make adsense a viable option on it.  All it would do is make the most stupid of cash chasing spammers spam hundreds of questions, and probably wont even make a cent out of it.

12. puter_dr profile image90
    puter_drposted 13 years ago

In the first year, a majority of my hubs were answering questions, and in those times, most of the questions came from Paul or other Hubpages staff.
    A few months ago I ventured into questions and there was nothing that was a real question. It seems to have gotten a bit better lately.
    I would like to see it moderated in some way, and I understand there are only so many hours in the day, and there are lots of hubs to police.

13. profile image0
    ankigarg87posted 13 years ago

Yes we can Earn google adsense from questions too.as in google adsense we earn money if any one page visits and click on ads.in questions there are ads also and no of page visit counts

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.

Nope.

Read the comments above as to how low quality the answers section is now, and read why it's not a good idea to have Adsense there.

Midasfxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it's one thing to complain about something and another thing to give constructive criticism. Comments like this are not helping the Q&A section get better.

Yes many people post spammy questions there.  Point taken.

How to fix that section??

~Give them incentive to write good quality questions that inspire hubs.
        ~Moderate; Only privileged hubbers can post questions. maybe moderate by score ( 75+) or time ( 3+ months as a hubber ), activity, ( must have at least 10 hubs). 

It drive me nuts when people are always so negative.  I am all for the Q&A section to be improved or taken away all together and maybe implement something new. I love all parts of this amazing website, and thought of a possible way to improve it in my eyes.

And I was not not sure where you got those guidelines or rules from ?
        this was all I could find.

http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/3-1- … s-answers/

Midas, people have been complaining about the Q&A section ever since I arrived.

I love this site too and think we should feel very lucky to have such a resource made available to us on such generous terms.  But several efforts have been made to improve the Q&A section and it just keeps getting worse and worse.

My take - get rid of it.  Instead, create a section in the Ideabank where Hubbers who pass certain criteria can post ideas.

1. thisisoli profile image71
            thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not so sure about that, Currently the idea keywords seem to have been researched, I know when ever I have checked them with my SEO tols they seem to be viable.

If you opened it up to other Hubbers then

a) I doubt they would all be researched

and

b) Why would hubbers give away their postentially profitable keywords.

One way would be to give a hubber asking a question a 10% share of impressions, rather like referals, yet this would still make the questions and answers section a target for spam.

If that suggestion was adopted, Hubber suggestions would need to be segregated, I think.  Which brings us back to having a separate section - I just think Ideabank is a better description of what the section is meant to be for.

They are old guidelines that used to be posted when you would post a question.

I did give a suggestion... Return to the old guidelines and moderate any questions that do not follow. Pretty simple if you ask me. Back when, there wasn't all the junk in the section.

Marisa, there is already an ideabank, which is the HP ideas. I thought that the questions/answers section used to be the hubber's version. The wording of the section used to clearly define that it was a place to ask questions, which 1) gave others ideas and 2) got your question answered. I want it back that direction as it had a higher quality than the crap that is there now.... I used to be able to get tons of idea from the old section, not any more.. One or two, but not nearly as many as before.

Get rid of the yes/no questions; opinion questions; HubPages questions; spam; and any thing low quality.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

Those ads are HubPages ads, they're not linked to the person who asked the question.

14. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

It's broke.

15. thisisoli profile image71

I don't think a hubber contributed ideabank would work simply because anyone could post anything there, moderating every single idea to check it's effectiveness would be atrocious, and people probably won't post their good ideas there.

When you get right down to it though, if you don't like the Q&A section then you don't need to enter it, after all it is not a requirement for you to succeed on Hubpages!

16. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

thisisoli, I agree than an official ideabank created by the hubbers won't really work, but that's what the old questions section used to be. Basically, an ideabank. I got tons of ideas from there, as did many others. But not, it's just a cheesy Yahoo Answers deal unfortunately.

I only enter to flag. I will answer questions, but those that I answer are personal questions via the stupid 'ask a question' box to the side of every hub. They are hub specific and should be on the hub not in the answers section. I don't have to go to the section to answer the questions, but they're still questions I try to answer if I can. Otherwise, the only time I deal with the section is to flag.

There aren't any questions there anymore worth really writing a hub about. It really makes me sad, as I once enjoyed the section.

17. thisisoli profile image71

I just took a look there for teh first time in months.  There were a couple of topics I could have written hubs about, but I would question their profitability!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)