How many followers and what kind of score should I expect early on?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    American Tigerposted 13 years ago

I am LOVING this Hubbing, but I'm a raw greeny when it comes to HubPages. In my first month, how many followers should I expect to accrue, and what kind of personal score should I expect, realistically?

1. alternate poet profile image66
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to Hubpages - if you interact a lot on the forums you will et some traffic from hubpages that will help your score, but as I understand it you personal score is more about good hubs in HP definition of good.  ie - enough words, pictures and video.

If you want loads of followers then you can spend the time to run around posting fan mail to everyone and most will fan you back, but that is what it is - fan nying around big_smile  posting behind everyone and anyone with "how are you today" and making nice comments can also help.  Or just wait and it will build up ok if you write good stuff and publish a hub regularly smile   good luck.

2. nicregi profile image66
      nicregiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi there and welcome to HubPages!

I myself is new to here too! However for followers and fans, normally I wouldn't care much about them but it would be great if I see some one sending message for fan smile

Like what others said, good articles will attract more people and you will get your fans from there.

If you would like to build more friendship, then one of the way is being active in forum and trying to assist people here and there.

Alternative is you could send fan mail to others.

Have a great day!

As for score, the more active you are the more score you get. For your hubs, if the quality is good, you will expect to see an increase of one to two points every a day or two.

3. jasoncox83 profile image61
      jasoncox83posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That really depends on you, the best way to earn followers short of converting people from Social Networking sites like Facebook, Myspace, Twitter etc...Is to be as helpful as possible, and the followers will come naturally. Don't let it bother you much if you find you lack followers, just be patient, and they will come! smile

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Depends what you are here to do.

Creative writing and writing for yourself - score will vary and if you're good you can get lots of followers by interacting on the fourms and around hubpages.

To make money - both score and followers are almost completely unimportant (they are an internal site status symbol only.). You're looking for traffic from outside hubpages (google, yahoo, bing) because hubbers do not click adverts, and search traffic does.

Edit: After looking at your hubs it's obvious you're not here for money - just to spout your own political opinions without a worry for duplicate content, introductions or keywords. So I guess you'll get as many followers as agree with what you write! smile

1. profile image0
      American Tigerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Was that a polite way of telling me it was a silly question? ;-)

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not at all!  The community is so lively on HubPages, and the social features so prominent, many newbies simply assume scores, followers and forum posts contribute to the financial success of your Hubs.  So I'm glad you asked the question instead.

Now it's up to you to decide what you're here for.  If you're hoping to make money from your Hubs,then focus on writing long (400 to 1,500 word) informative, magazine-style articles OR product-oriented sales Hubs. The work must be original (i.e. not just yours, but also not published anywhere else). 

If you're not here to make money, it's really up to you what you want to write!

2. nicregi profile image66
        nicregiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not at all American Tiger! We must not be afraid to ask.

HubPages community is great here. I have been writing for few other sites in the past but when i see the 'activity' here at HP, i knew i was at the right place!

No question is silly because we all need to learn from the base! Just like you, me and others smile

3. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope it wasn't my way of saying it was a silly question. The only silly question is the one that isn't asked (although I do see an occasional exception!)

But the hubs you have now are not money making hubs. Sure you could accidentally get one ranked for a surprising search topic but as a reader you don't present titles that I'd type into a search engine. A lot of it has a more personal bent and if someone visited a few of them (especially the political ones) they might click away pretty fast. Some of your hubs refer back to others. Remember - a visitor to one hub might have never visited any of your hubs and might never want to visit anymore. You're just a search engine result to them.

However chances are you'll probably get a following from the political forum if you keep it up!

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages!

Your score and followers are completely based on your actions. wink

Edit: You should not expect anything. Just go in with an open mind. smile

4. Deborah Demander profile image89
    Deborah Demanderposted 13 years ago

Really, there aren't silly questions. Obviously you are just curious about what to expect.
    My experience here has been great. I began writing, for the sake of writing. Not making money, but I am having fun, and have read some fascinating hubs.
    I would suggest dancing gingerly through the forums, as they can sometimes be brutal. A good way to get people to read your hubs is to read other hubs and leave genuine, helpful comments. People will check you out.
    Also, let go of the outcome and enjoy yourself.
    Namaste.

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

In answer to both your questions, your mileage may vary.

6. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

Original content and quality of writing seem to gain a high score.  Some forum activity also seems to help.  People who write badly or chose to write about dodgy subjects have amazingly low scores.  As to follows, well that's up to you as Cagsil says.  Some people seem to set great store by having loads of fans, some don't.  Really talented writers get loads of followers so I guess it's something to aspire to.  Hope you have a great time here!

7. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Realistically, you should expect that a score and having followers is highly over rated and so just concentrate on getting your hubs read through targeted traffic....

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's good advice.  A massive, massive quanity of followers are not really following you or reading your stuff.  For many it's sort of a score or a collection.  So don't sweat it.  Like Cags and a few others said, be friendly, check out other hubs, leave comments, hit the forums from time to time.  People will read your work and a few that fan/follow you will actually come read your stuff.  Takes time, so be patient.  You gotta give before you get for the most part.

8. profile image0
    American Tigerposted 13 years ago

I am continually impressed by the caliber of people I'm finding here in the forums. Thank you all for the words of encouragement, and open support.

To be honest, I was expecting one or two answers along the lines of "25 followers in your first month, or you're a schmuck." What you're all actually giving me is far more valuable.

NOW I'm going to see about all these Money Making concepts you more entrepreneurial types have been showing me.

Again, I cannot thank you all enough.

~Tiger~

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://hubpages.com/hub/My-HubPages-Tips

There's a hub by Marisa Wright that is a great place to start. Let us know if you have any more specific questions - it can be a steep learning curve for someone new to SEO and writing online for money!

And I've come across hubbers who have almost no followers after a couple of years - mainly because they're so busy writing and making money they don't bother coming to the forums. And the forums are where other members  see you and decide to check out your profile - and follow if they like your stuff.

9. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

I was just like you when I first started writing here, and I still follow my numbers, but if you want ways to increase the numbers of people you can attract, here are some suggestions.
    1.-Good content on subjects of interest.
    2.-Always use keywords or tags that are in the title so you move up into the first pages of the directory.
    3.-Link into places like your facebook account where many people will see.
    4.-Be active in forums so you become a known writer.  Make friends.
       If you want to attract fans, these things work, but if you want to make money, these are not going to necessarily do the trick.  The money comes when the people you have attracted actually click on ads on your sites.  This means that unless the subject of the hub has something to do with the ads, you have a chance.  You cannot expect to have anyone click on ads when your story is about two boys and a dog, for what would you try to sell to those interested in your story?  It is not easy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)