Thank you, HP for the courage to submit

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Sorry if anyone has entered this thread expecting (or hoping for) sadomasochism! Although who knows -- it may end up in that direction big_smile.

I just wanted to thank the Hub Pages academy. Without the forums, where I've learned to (sometimes) argue persuasively, I would not have submitted my letter to the editor of our local newspaper.
    It was pretty exciting to see it published today.
    Of course, the paper also carried its own editorial on the same topic.
    My letter 100% matched their opinion.
    The letter below mine in the letters to the editor section takes the opposite view.
    Not at all unlike our forums -- only without the trolls big_smile!!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, Mighty Mom!  What a great feeling, to see yourself in print!

2. HalJordan profile image57
      HalJordanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I could have told you that you could do it a long time ago, girl!

3. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!  How exciting for you. smile big_smile

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Very Cool MM! It is always nice to find your voice.

3. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

That's wonderful news MM.  It's always exciting to see your words in hard copy publications!  I'm sure that with your writing talent you will get many more published.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Very nicely done Mighty Mom! smile big_smile

Congratulations! smile

5. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

6. Wendy Krick profile image63
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

That is so awesome! Way to go!

7. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

Congrats, letter to the editors are not easy to have published.
    Well done MM. big_smile

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Mighty mom!! Well done!

8. Mighty Mom profile image77

Well, it's not the New York Times or Wall Street Journal. Just our local McClatchy Publishing rag and the only daily in Sacramennto. Still, I was pretty tickled to see mine was picked.
    Thanks, all, for the well wishes. They mean a lot! MM

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can it be seen online?

9. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Congrats MM!  Seeing this forum thread gave me that extra nudge I needed to submit an email tonight.  I'll report back if things work out like I hope they do.  smile

10. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Congrats MM!  I've thought of doing this but the local fishwrapper is notoriously right wing, so I decided not to waste my time!

11. Mighty Mom profile image77

Yes, I think you can access it online. But here it is. I've shown my letter and the other lady's letter below it.

Mall's policies are inane

Re "Free speech is OK – even at mall" (Page A1, Aug. 14): I'm not sure which is most ridiculous:

1. Westfield Galleria at Roseville's "rules of conduct" prohibiting conversations between strangers (unless said conversations concern the mall, the mall and nothing but the mall).

2. That it took 43 pages of opinion to find the company's rules unconstitutional, when three words – FREEDOM OF SPEECH – say it all.

3. That the appellate panel has sent the case back to the Placer Superior Court level for further proceedings. Further proceedings? What part of "unconstitutional" requires further proceedings?

4. That Westfield could possibly believe that appealing to the California Supreme Court will somehow make its inane and basically anti-customer policies any more defensible.

Is this really how our courts are using their resources? Unbelievable!

Meanwhile, thanks for the heads-up, Denny Walsh. I won't be patronizing the Galleria at Roseville anytime soon. Not even Tiffany is worth the risk of arrest.

–Mighty Mom, Sacramento
    (I didn't really sign it Mighty Mom)

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/08/17/296309 … z0wvWmrGE3

Mall has rights, too

If youth pastor Matthew Snatchko approached me at a mall, the conversation would not be "peaceful, consensual, spontaneous."

What would the reaction be if I, as an atheist, did exactly the same thing? Under the court's ruling, even a panhandler would have every right to approach people to ask for money.

Instead of money, Snatchko is panhandling for souls to be passed on to his God. Remember that history is full of con men who have used religion for criminal activities.

Of course a mall or any other business should have the right to control potentially unwelcome or dangerous actions affecting their customers.

– Norma Ingalls, Grass Valley

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/08/17/296309 … z0wvX34JYU

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I checked after writing my question and found this very piece.

Can't talk in a mall?

Only in California.

12. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Congrats, MM! I've sent in several letters to the editor, and they were all published - even though our local paper is very left-winged.

I've submitted two political pieces and one about animal abuse, along with a couple of others.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bull$#1+!  The TG is very religious right!  Good try though! LOL!

1. habee profile image91
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I assumed that since they endorsed Obama they were pretty liberal.

If that were true they wouldn't have printed your letters!  HA!

1. habee profile image91

My letters were not anti-Obama. One was about women in politics and the other was asking people to support Obama after the election. I have copies if you'd like to read them. The other letters I've written to the editor had nothing to do with politics.

Yes, I know!  Just picking at ya!  LOL!  I knew you had to respond to my "fishwrapper" comment!  Even the TG couldn't support any ticket with Palin on it!  HA!

1. habee profile image91

Why do you keep saying, "HA"? Have you abandoned "HOCK"?

Yes, in honor of the late, great, James Brown! (Have they buried him Yet?)

1. habee profile image91

Good question. I was gonna ask you!

13. Sweetsusieg profile image76
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

Awesome!!  Seeing your writing in print has to be a momentous time for you!  Great job!!  Keep those opinions coming, we as a whole need people using common sense and getting the word out there.

Wow, Norma Ingalls comment about pan handlers sound like something she might scrape off her shoe. How sad, she must be one lonely individual if she cannot even entertain the possibility of casual conversation!

14. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Where's the material about submission?  I put my robe on and everything. mad

15. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 13 years ago

So when are you coming back for the final fitting for your shackles and collar, MM?

HAHA!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)